Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 10:05   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,514
Thanked: 18,008 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Yamaha R15 V4 walkaround



First ride review


Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st October 2021 at 10:06.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 08:58   #32
BHPian
 
saikishor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 129
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Visited a Yamaha showroom yesterday as i had a lot of time to waste. Jokes aside, I wanted to take a look at the V4 and, if possible get a test ride as well. But Yamaha being Yamaha, had no test ride vehicle on offer. I must say, the R15M looks stellar; passes off as a much bigger motorcycle. I had my doubts on this color, but man I was amazed after I saw it in person.
Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164416.jpg

I asked them if I could sit on the bike, since there was no test ride vehicle. They politely agreed and told me to look at the one parked outside the showroom floor. This was a monster energy variant, and look neutral to me. The bike felt super light, almost like a cycle. I could only imagine the amount of fun one can have on the track.

Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164631.jpg

Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164620.jpg

Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164556.jpg
Then, the color that disappointed me, was the blue one. I love the blue on the V3 and the FZ25, but on the V4, it simply wasn't that eye catchy or elegant. I also saw a black V4, didn't click pics but that looked much better than the blue.
Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164917.jpg

Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img20211007164926.jpg

UNRELATED: Also saw the FZ25 which was on display. Loved the sitting posture, but wish it had a 6th gear. Again, no test ride available.
Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-img_20211008_085909.jpg

Last edited by saikishor : 8th October 2021 at 09:01.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 21:58   #33
BHPian
 
Senna4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: GOT/MUC
Posts: 383
Thanked: 1,415 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Yamaha could soon be launching the R15 v4 in 'S' variant. The R15S has been available in previous generation as the variant with single-piece seat (instead of the regular stepped seat). R15S is otherwise mechanically identical.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  92.9 KB

Related link: R15S v2 launch (Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh)

Cheers!
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:47   #34
BHPian
 
rohitoasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 511
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Taking your opinion. For Daily extended commute.
MT15 with more reliable normal forks, better riding posture and lots of cost saving or
R15M V4 just for flaunting it.

Brain says MT15, Heart says the latter.
rohitoasis is offline  
Old 11th November 2021, 14:56   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Mysore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 572 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

If I were in your place, MT15 it would be because it's more comfortable for longer commutes. Looks are the farthest thing from your mind when you're busting your body trying to ride the bike for longer distances. Though I hear the V4 has been revised to have more relaxed seating, not sure how much though.

I'd wait a couple months to see if they'd make an update to the MT along the lines of the R15, and see if it would be worth my money. Though chances are I'd probably buy the outgoing model on discount because Yamahas here aren't known for the ruggedness of their suspension and wheels. So, I'd anyday rather go with a right-side-up suspension than a fancy upside down one that, if it leaks, there's going to be quite a mess. I personally don't care for connected tech or dual channel ABS. So, the current MT is more than adequate for me.

Though I'd also consider something from the 250 class now that we have the Pulsars alongside the FZ25 coming in at more or less the same price. The RTR200 is also quite the bike for around the same money.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 11th November 2021 at 15:15.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 10:10   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 2,944
Thanked: 11,190 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Taking your opinion. For Daily extended commute.
MT15 with more reliable normal forks, better riding posture and lots of cost saving or
R15M V4 just for flaunting it.

Brain says MT15, Heart says the latter.
Without too much background information on your riding, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. Ive used the first gen R15 for daily commuting for over 5 years and never regretted it. If the Rs 30,000 difference in the ex showroom price isnt a major concern, just go for the R15M V4 and enjoy the motorcycling experience.

Looking at your situation differently, if you get the MT15 today, 3 years from now, will you look back and regret not getting the R15?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:09   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,514
Thanked: 18,008 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Yamaha India has announced a price hike of Rs 3,000 across the variants on recently launched R15 V4.

Originally it was launched starting at Rs 1.67 lakh.

Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh-20211112_211732.jpg

Updated price list

R15 V4 Metallic Red: Rs 1,70,800

R15 V4 Dark Knight: Rs 1,71,800

R15 V4 Racing Blue: Rs 1,75,800

R15M Metallic Grey: Rs 1,80,800

R15M Monster Energy MotoGP Edition: Rs1,82,800

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th November 2021 at 21:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 10:24   #38
BHPian
 
ast.ggn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 309
Thanked: 1,414 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Taking your opinion. For Daily extended commute.
MT15 with more reliable normal forks, better riding posture and lots of cost saving or
R15M V4 just for flaunting it.

Brain says MT15, Heart says the latter.
You are in same dilemma as I was few years back. Brain said Duke, Heart said RC. Finally took the plunge with RC, realized later that my commute is full of traffic and RC cannot be used daily. Sold it off and now I am very happy with Duke.

Go for R15, if your commute consists of highways and you are young/ fit enough. Think of MT, if you are looking for comfort and plan to keep the bike for long time. What is the extended duration of commute you are looking at? (80-100 kms?)
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 14:41   #39
BHPian
 
rohitoasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 511
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Thanks for the pointers. Actually the question was not specific to me. Duke 200 rider for nearly a decade now. I have been lusting over anything higher than Duke for nearly 5 years now. But never had heart to change.

Question comes to me from my thoughts during my daily commute. I do 90 Km per day. Palakkad to Tamilnadu NH544. 80+ km of this is 6th gear and it gets boring. And over and above a speed limit of 70kmph. I get to see quite a lot of riders between CT100 to the Mojo on a daily basis. I see quite a few MT15s and few R15s also in this route. This is when i wonder if it makes any valid case to use an R15 for commute over an MT15. Tell me if i am wrong in assuming that the only incremental advantage between MT15 and R15 can be truly be experienced only in race tracks and not so much on highways. I know i get bored doing such speeds in 6th gear on a daily basis.

Alternatively i also feel that good tourers with tractable motors would be even more boring in these routes. The short gearing and need to hunt for gears is the little bit of fun i have in these routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Go for R15, if your commute consists of highways and you are young/ fit enough. Think of MT, if you are looking for comfort and plan to keep the bike for long time.
35 year old in a 50 year old body here sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Looking at your situation differently, if you get the MT15 today, 3 years from now, will you look back and regret not getting the R15?
This is indeed the question. I have had a budget to accommodate even the CB500. But then recent fuel costs have scared the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
If I were in your place, MT15 it would be because it's more comfortable for longer commutes. Looks are the farthest thing from your mind when you're busting your body trying to ride the bike for longer distances. Though I hear the V4 has been revised to have more relaxed seating, not sure how much though.
Yes and test rides of V4 is a problem, even display pieces have not reached in the showrooms i see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Though I'd also consider something from the 250 class now that we have the Pulsars alongside the FZ25 coming in at more or less the same price. The RTR200 is also quite the bike for around the same money.
FZ25 and Pulsar 250 do not excite me. The stiffness of cradle Chassis of KTM and R15 have spoiled me for the downtube chassis ones. I know there is nothing perceptible. But then when i ride other vehicles now. I feel them flexing under me.
The finicky KTMs have ruined Bajaj and KTM for me as well.
RR310 does not sell in my district and neither do we have service network.
Kawasakis 300 is also ruled out for above reason.
Gixxer 250 is the closest i went for. But then i feel it will be boring compared to the Yamaha MT15/R15 twins.
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:04   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 2,944
Thanked: 11,190 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Thanks for the pointers. Actually the question was not specific to me. Duke 200 rider for nearly a decade now. I have been lusting over anything higher than Duke for nearly 5 years now. But never had heart to change.

Question comes to me from my thoughts during my daily commute. I do 90 Km per day. Palakkad to Tamilnadu NH544. 80+ km of this is 6th gear and it gets boring. And over and above a speed limit of 70kmph. I get to see quite a lot of riders between CT100 to the Mojo on a daily basis. I see quite a few MT15s and few R15s also in this route. This is when i wonder if it makes any valid case to use an R15 for commute over an MT15. Tell me if i am wrong in assuming that the only incremental advantage between MT15 and R15 can be truly be experienced only in race tracks and not so much on highways. I know i get bored doing such speeds in 6th gear on a daily basis.
I have a friend who used to do a Palakkad to Tamil Nadu run daily IIRC and he has a Gixxer 150 that does it effortlessly. To be honest, with the constraint of the 70kmph speed limit, any motorcycle can do the job reasonably well. It all comes down to
- how strongly do you want to change from your Duke and
- what next motorcycle will keep you the happiest?

I would take the R15 and enjoy the sporty ride to work over the 80 kms every day.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:36   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Mysore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 572 Times
Default Re: Yamaha R15 V4.0. Edit: Now launched at Rs 1.67 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
35 year old in a 50 year old body here sir.

I do 90 Km per day. Palakkad to Tamilnadu NH544. 80+ km of this is 6th gear and it gets boring. And over and above a speed limit of 70kmph.

I know i get bored doing such speeds in 6th gear on a daily basis.

recent fuel costs have scared the hell out of me.
Provided your body can handle the race lean, I don't think you can go wrong with the R15 if all you're looking for is excitement on fast, smooth roads twice a day.

The Gixxer250 is also a nice pick, but yeah, if you're used to the twitchy handling of the Duke and are looking for more of the same, this is probably not the bike for you. Then again, the stable feeling handling of the Gixxer might turn out to be a pleasant change for you.

But it seems to me that, if boredom is your only problem, you can alleviate that better by alternating between different routes to your destination rather than changing bikes.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 15th November 2021 at 19:37.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks