Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 13:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-image-1212.jpg

Attaching my Image here, was unable to view the attachment in my previous post.

Thanks
acestormtrooper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:45   #17
BANNED

I have changed over 20 bikes in last 21 years and CBZ is still with me in pristine condition, restore the bike and buy new one as well for daily commute, Mumbai weather is not really good for old bikes.
I had few new old stock body parts which last year I gave it to another CBZ lover from Maharastra.
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
Do let me know of you need any help with the restoration part / procurement of spares etc. would love to help you out with that.

Cheers!
Thanks man.

As I mentioned earlier, I am slowly making up my mind for the following sequence
  1. Getting the documentation in place - 10K (I dont have a single renewal from 2001, which means I will need to pay for 2016 and 2021 renewal. Also insurance, RC Book and then PUC)
  2. Getting a basic service done with diesel washing for rust removal
  3. Getting the fibre parts in shape by replacing the bad ones (I think the plastic clips back then were horrible quality, most of them will be broken)
  4. Getting a complete paint job (including chassis and wheel chain cover etc)
  5. Getting the 3 Blade alloys (classical ones for CBZ)
Old 13th August 2021, 14:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Getting the 3 Blade alloys (classical ones for CBZ)
Either the spokes wheels or OE 5 spokes alloy from later gen should look good IMO, end of the day it's your choice.
Old 13th August 2021, 21:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man.

As I mentioned earlier, I am slowly making up my mind for the following sequence
  1. Getting the documentation in place - 10K (I dont have a single renewal from 2001, which means I will need to pay for 2016 and 2021 renewal. Also insurance, RC Book and then PUC) - Depends on RTO to RTO - Try and see if a one time penalty can be paid and managed. If you intend to keep the bike for the next 20 years then i would recommend to do this RTO registration process, if planning to use for a few 3-4 years for short distances, then it would be cheaper to pay the fine to the cop once caught.
  2. Getting a basic service done with diesel washing for rust removal - I dont think this is an expensive process - Service in Pune costs around Rs. 500 and engine oil is extra. In Pune no rusting issue so no diesel wash service is there in Pune.
  3. Getting the fibre parts in shape by replacing the bad ones (I think the plastic clips back then were horrible quality, most of them will be broken) - You'll have to scout for the original parts (which would be expensive for sure today) there are after market parts (Tier 1 / Tier 2 Supplier) They too are decent - End of the day - It depends how much you want to spend.
  4. Getting a complete paint job (including chassis and wheel chain cover etc) - In Pune, a decent paint job (includes wheel hubs, engine casing, frame, tank and a few pannels) costs between Rs. 7,0000/- to Rs. 10,000/-depends how good / well reputed the paint fellow is. Do remember to get the decals / tank stickers before you give your tank for painting.
  5. Getting the 3 Blade alloys (classical ones for CBZ) - Totally upto your choice.

Let me know if you need any help further with doing the restoration job.

Thanks.

Siddharth
acestormtrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Hi, I too own a 2001 CBZ in blue color. It is lying unused for the last decade. Have retained the bike till date, hoping some day I will restore it. Your thread has ignited the spark to take on the bike restoration project. RC can't be renewed thanks to SC/ NGT rulings. Can any one suggest a reliable place in NCR to source parts for the bike? Or any where in India who is willing to ship to NCR?
Old 16th August 2021, 09:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to my parents place over the weekend. Got a chance to click a few pictures of my bike. You can see the condition of the bike. Its in stock condition from 2001. I doubt any current gen bike will last 20 years.

All first gen CBZs will have these typical issues I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-whatsapp-image-20210816-9.46.17-am.jpeg  

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-whatsapp-image-20210816-9.46.17-am-1.jpeg  

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-whatsapp-image-20210816-9.46.16-am.jpeg  

2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hi, I too own a 2001 CBZ in blue color. It is lying unused for the last decade. Have retained the bike till date, hoping some day I will restore it. Your thread has ignited the spark to take on the bike restoration project. RC can't be renewed thanks to SC/ NGT rulings. Can any one suggest a reliable place in NCR to source parts for the bike? Or any where in India who is willing to ship to NCR?
I have the same problem. My 2003 CBZ is registered in Delhi plying on Bengaluru since 2015. Now due to the 15 year rule, I'm not able to get it renewed. The bike is just sitting gathering dust. However, no issues in running. I do take it out from time to time for short grocery trips.

To members here, is it possible to get a NOC for the bike from Delhi RTO(RC expired in 2018) and get it registered in Bengaluru?
Old 16th August 2021, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The CBZ is a motorcycle that has slowly been appreciating in value amongst enthusiast circles.

I'd suggest you keep the motorcycle the amount you've mentioned isn't much all things considered.

If performance is what you seek then get a Karizma engine and swap the cases as they're cross compatible. A used engine used to cost around 6~7k a few years ago in KL, I'm sure it would be cheaper up North.

My buddy owns one such motorcycle that was recently restored. She easily maxes out the stock CBZ's speedometer and that too while still on KL Roads. I do have a video but not sharing it in adherence to forum policy.

Also make sure to change the exhaust and Carburetor to that of the ZMA, you may save around 4k if you opt for a P220 carb instead of the ZMA's carb.

Here's a pic of my buddy's motorcycle;

Attachment 2191161

Regards,
A.P.
I must admit that your friend has done a wonderful mod on his prized possession. CBZ always had rock solid dynamics but was not exciting enough due to it's lukewarm performance. With the ZMA's engine I am sure that it has given CBZ a new lease of life. This blue CBZ is certainly one of the best in the country IMHO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 12:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have the following dilemmas for my 2001 CBZ. I would like your views on the same.

Situation - I have a 2001 CBZ blue color. The following things have happened with this
  • I have lost the original RC book (booklet type). The charges quoted by an RTO dealer for the same with road tax renewal (2 times - 5 + 5) is around 8000 K, with insurance.
  • The color of the bike has cracked up a little
  • The engine / chassis / plastic cowl / and a few other parts have deteriorated from the looks perspective (rusting etc)
  • The bike is in running condition and starts within 5-6 kicks (the good old simple mechanical days)
  • The bike has less than 5000 kms run Michelin Tyres

I would like to have a bike for short city + highway runs of 50 odd kms (suburban mumbai)

Question - What is the best option from below

Option 1 - Should I get the documentation done to make the bike completely road legal. Renovate the bike? I think the total costs are
  • RTO + Documentation - 8000
  • Bike Restoration - 20000? I have no expertise in this, need experts to help me with this please. Any recommended garages in Kalyan and around Kalyan??
Option 2 - Scrap the bike (the heart doesnt agree to this) and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.

Option 3 - Sell the bike to someone, asking him to get the documentation done and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.
If you're sentimental about your motorcycle then keep it. However, if you think that it doesn't make any practical sense then sell it.
Old 16th August 2021, 18:29   #26
BHPian

To answer your dilemma in as crisp and short a sentence as possible - KEEP IT!

Oh how much I love the original CBZ. Although not the best when it came to performance (I loved the Shogun for that), it was such a breath of fresh air in a world full of contemporary looking motorcycles at the time.

I happen to own one too and have kept it solely for sentimental reasons. I have bought and sold a few motorcycles since then but this one I am keeping for as long as I can. It's simply too hard to part with some memories I think.

A quick glance at some of the rides I have owned over time:

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-brothers.jpg

The 2001 CBZ still adorns the garage and is in top shape (barring the tyres and battery). It is regularly serviced but sparingly used only to keep it in running condition.

The 2008 Yamaha R15 was parted with in 2010. An excellent machine, the engine was one of the smoothest one could find and had ample power too. The real joy was it's flickability and the way it took to corners.

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-well-over-360-degrees.jpg

This slice of madness, the 2015 RC 390 is so totally exhilarating and never fails to plant a big smile every time it's taken for a ride. It's an RD350 in a modern avatar.

Last edited by Herschey : 16th August 2021 at 18:31.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:52   #27
BHPian

Hi 2000rpm. Take my advice - keep it. You can spend the money for RTO and other processes to make it street legal. As others have suggested, get another 2 wheeler if you rely on 2 wheeler commute. And then use the CBZ for short runs.

I had bought a Pulsar 150 Dtsi in 2006 and have been using it since. It was my daily ride for the office commute of 7 kms until covid changed things. Now, it is due for registration renewal this year. I do plan to get it renewed and use the bike.

In the hindsight, honesty, I have spent more than the resale value of this bike in its maintenance and repairs. But, its a decision that comes from the heart.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have the following dilemmas for my 2001 CBZ. I would like your views on the same.

Situation - I have a 2001 CBZ blue color. The following things have happened with this[list]
[

Question - What is the best option from below

Option 1 - Should I get the documentation done to make the bike completely road legal. Renovate the bike? I think the total costs are
  • RTO + Documentation - 8000
  • Bike Restoration - 20000? I have no expertise in this, need experts to help me with this please. Any recommended garages in Kalyan and around Kalyan??
Hi 2000rpm,

Its purely heart V/s mind here, had I been in your place, I would have chosen the latter. Option 1 is what I'm referring to. I also paid Rs.7,200/- as a penalty for not getting the fitness done for my 2004 Thunderbird for 2 years as I was also in a fix to keep it or sell it. Finally, decided to keep it and got the passing/ fitness done for next five years.

Like many other fellow Bhpians I'm also an ardent lover of 1st Gen CBZ (Back in school we used call it CBZ-SHIV-JI- Lord Shiva).

My old friend Venky still has this extinct masterpiece with him since 2003, alive and kicking, sharing picture of his bike which I clicked few months back.

Location-Somewhere in Chamba
Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-cbz-1.jpg
Old 9th June 2022, 16:32   #29
BHPian

My 2001 model CBZ is getting restored.

narasimha raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:39   #30
BHPian

I've 2001 Passion and you won't believe it starts in a single kick compared to RE Thunderbird even after all these years. It's an apple and orange category wise but the basics remain same for any motorcycle.

I got mine repaired in local garage but it's not to my satisfaction. Is there any Hero Honda expert mechanics in Bengaluru to do full restoration ?

I'm ready to spend 10 to 15k and it'll be used for short errands.

Thanks in advance.
Ritz2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks