Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 09:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points

Hello guys,

I have the following dilemmas for my 2001 CBZ. I would like your views on the same.

Situation - I have a 2001 CBZ blue color. The following things have happened with this
  • I have lost the original RC book (booklet type). The charges quoted by an RTO dealer for the same with road tax renewal (2 times - 5 + 5) is around 8000 K, with insurance.
  • The color of the bike has cracked up a little
  • The engine / chassis / plastic cowl / and a few other parts have deteriorated from the looks perspective (rusting etc)
  • The bike is in running condition and starts within 5-6 kicks (the good old simple mechanical days)
  • The bike has less than 5000 kms run Michelin Tyres

I would like to have a bike for short city + highway runs of 50 odd kms (suburban mumbai)

Question - What is the best option from below

Option 1 - Should I get the documentation done to make the bike completely road legal. Renovate the bike? I think the total costs are
  • RTO + Documentation - 8000
  • Bike Restoration - 20000? I have no expertise in this, need experts to help me with this please. Any recommended garages in Kalyan and around Kalyan??
Option 2 - Scrap the bike (the heart doesnt agree to this) and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.

Option 3 - Sell the bike to someone, asking him to get the documentation done and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:54   #2
BANNED

re: Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points

The CBZ is a motorcycle that has slowly been appreciating in value amongst enthusiast circles.

I'd suggest you keep the motorcycle the amount you've mentioned isn't much all things considered.

If performance is what you seek then get a Karizma engine and swap the cases as they're cross compatible. A used engine used to cost around 6~7k a few years ago in KL, I'm sure it would be cheaper up North.

My buddy owns one such motorcycle that was recently restored. She easily maxes out the stock CBZ's speedometer and that too while still on KL Roads. I do have a video but not sharing it in adherence to forum policy.

Also make sure to change the exhaust and Carburetor to that of the ZMA, you may save around 4k if you opt for a P220 carb instead of the ZMA's carb.

Here's a pic of my buddy's motorcycle;

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-screenshot_2021081009535573_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 10:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

In my point of view, what's the most important thing that you consider in your life or how would you like to live?

Money/Living Your Life
Then follow this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Option 1 - Should I get the documentation done to make the bike completely road legal. Renovate the bike?
Practical/Trouble Free/Mind Over Heart
Then follow this...
Quote:
Option 2 - Scrap the bike (...) and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.
Take Life as it Comes/Juggad/Quick Fix/Living in The Moment
Then follow this...
Quote:
Option 3 - Sell the bike to someone, asking him to get the documentation done and buy a new bike in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs.
As I'm nearly in your position -> Having mint condition Rx unwilling to sell with irritating legal procedures, I've simply parked it in garage in pitiable state. May be one fine day, I might wake up, clean the bike, take to RTO & get the formalities completed & start riding for a month or so and then, once again the Rx goes into hibernation!! And these days I'm beginning to think a very practical solution...
Clean the bike, complete all legal formalities & simply sell off the bike - Practical & Mind over Matter affair as there's no point getting struck in the past glory with the moving times. But that's me!!
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Here's a pic of my buddy's motorcycle;

Attachment 2191161

Regards,
A.P.
Thats one yummy bike.

I dont think I have the confidence in any 2-wheeler garage I know to make the kinda modifications you mentioned.

But the pics do give me some inspiration!
Old 10th August 2021, 11:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to have a bike for short city + highway runs of 50 odd kms (suburban mumbai)
If the above is only requirement and no sentimental attachments with this bike, sell it and get something else
New - if spending is not an issue
Used - for something around 20-30k you could get a used 150cc bike in very decent condition

Otherwise, spending time and money on this bike is worth the sentimental values.

Quote:
Option 3 - Sell the bike to someone, asking him to get the documentation done
I don't think the buyer could sort out the paper work, registered owner can only get it done.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
New - if spending is not an issue
Used - for something around 20-30k you could get a used 150cc bike in very decent condition

Otherwise, spending time and money on this bike is worth the sentimental values.
Spending on a new bike or the restoration is not an issue. I just dont know of any good mechanic capable to doing an impeccable restoration. And I dont have the time and patience to see the restoration progress by visiting the garage every few weeks.

I would honestly prefer to restore the bike and clear the documentation and continue using it.

I dont think buying a used 2-wheeler is worth the money as 2-wheelers typically dont age very well. (unlike cars)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the following dilemmas for my 2001 CBZ.
Hello mate, I see that apart from cosmetic issues (paint fading and plastics deteriorating) you haven't mentioned anything about mechanical or electrical issues with the bike. If so, then I assume the mechanicals and electricals of your CBZ are in good condition. If your daily running is around 50kms then I would suggest getting an engine compression test done as old motorcycles lose compression overtime. As you haven't mentioned about the front and rear suspension I assume they are in good condition.

I would suggest you to get it restored if you want to keep it for the next 5 years. Also try and get the paper work done by yourself at the RTO as it will save you some money, this is considering you have time and patience to do so. OEM parts availability can be an issue, especially plastic parts but you can always hunt for non-OEM aftermarket parts (Delhi made). One of my family members has a similar 2001 Red CBZ. He got it painted and restored and it passed the RTO fitness test. I ride that bike whenever I get an opportunity and vouch by the 156cc Honda engine that beats like there's no tomorrow.

I believe CBZ was the first 150cc (technically it was 156cc) motorcycle offered in India before Pulsar happened. From what I have experienced seeing and riding my family members' CBZ, the motorcycle is very reliable and can last really long. It has CDI ignition that enables it to start with low/dead battery. Cycle parts are amazing as I have witnessed little to no rust on the OEM wheel rims, handlebars, etc. Also all the switchgears are still original and are in working condition. As a torque fanatic I love the low end torque delivery in the CBZ.

You can restore and use it for the next 5 years while saving money to buy a new motorcycle 5 years down the line.
navin_v8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 12:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hello mate, I see that apart from cosmetic issues (paint fading and plastics deteriorating) you haven't mentioned anything about mechanical or electrical issues with the bike. If so, then I assume the mechanicals and electricals of your CBZ are in good condition. If your daily running is around 50kms then I would suggest getting an engine compression test done as old motorcycles lose compression overtime. As you haven't mentioned about the front and rear suspension I assume they are in good condition.
The condition of the bike is as follows
  1. Tyres - almost new (<5000 Kms)
  2. Engine - Works fine, but rust like formation on the surface. Dont know of anyone who can do a compression test. The firing is, well, AWESOME, feels like a heart beating!!
  3. Gear box - little tight, maybe due to low usage. But the CBZ always had a clunky gearbox
  4. Chassis - Rusting at a lot of places, I worry that the bike may do a Himalayan on me
  5. Fibre parts - Ok condition
  6. Suspension - Oil seal leakage on front suspension, rear suspension is fine!
  7. Speedo - Not working
  8. Battery - Dead for over a year, the bike runs normally, including the head light on engine running (I rarely ride the bike, about 10 kms per month, to keep the bike running)
  9. Wheel rims (steel) - Rusty, but a diesel wash will remove all the rust I am sure.

I dont do long rides on a highway, my parents live in suburban mumbai which is about 40 kms from my house, with about 15 kms of high traffic highway running. I typically use the car for travel but the road is getting worse day by day and taking a toll on the suspension of my car. A bike may just protect my car, also I like riding and dont mind it at all!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 16:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Engine - Works fine, but rust like formation on the surface. Dont know of anyone who can do a compression test.
The engine casing can be sandblasted and painted with a heat resistant paint. Any big reputed motorcycle workshop can do a compression test, you just need to hunt.
Quote:
[*]Gear box - little tight, maybe due to low usage. But the CBZ always had a clunky gearbox
Get the clutch cable adjusted, a fresh engine oil change (grade as per company specs) might help.
Quote:
[*]Chassis - Rusting at a lot of places, I worry that the bike may do a Himalayan on me
Painting the chassis is the only way, but the motorcycle will have to be dismantled fully. Labour charges might be high here. Also a good opportunity to check the condition of the wiring harness.
Quote:
[*]Fibre parts - Ok condition
Continue using them if they aren't cracked or chipped. Get them painted, you might be able to find the stickers, although not so easy.
Quote:
[*]Suspension - Oil seal leakage on front suspension, rear suspension is fine!
It can be something as simple as oil seal change. Try that first else front suspension might need overhauling.
Quote:
[*]Speedo - Not working
Check the speedo cable that connects to the front wheel. Most of the time the plastic gears attached to the wheel where the cable connects to are worn out. That part is replaceable and is a simple fix.
Quote:
[*]Battery - Dead for over a year, the bike runs normally, including the head light on engine running (I rarely ride the bike, about 10 kms per month, to keep the bike running)
Although its considered okay to run a bike with CDI ignition with low/dead battery but not advisable in the long term. Continuing to do so might put undue pressure on your alternator. The battery is there for a reason.
Quote:
[*]Wheel rims (steel) - Rusty, but a diesel wash will remove all the rust I am sure.

Quote:
I dont do long rides on a highway, my parents live in suburban mumbai which is about 40 kms from my house, with about 15 kms of high traffic highway running. I typically use the car for travel but the road is getting worse day by day and taking a toll on the suspension of my car. A bike may just protect my car, also I like riding and dont mind it at all!
The convenience a motorcycle offers on traffic laden roads is unmatched. It saves precious time and fuel. I can sense from your words that the CBZ is dear to your heart. The joy and satisfaction of restoring a motorcycle one loves cannot be expressed in words. Been there done that.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 10th August 2021 at 16:07.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 19:13   #10
BHPian

Re: Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points

I would recommend keeping this bike with you if you really 'love' it. Because even if it's restored something might come up occasionally due to its age.

As per your comments, I conclude that the bike is in decent shape. If the body parts are not broken, get everything repainted from scratch. I recently overhauled my bike (10 yrs old) purely for sentimental reasons and I had to spend around 8k+ for the painting and tinting process. I also had to replace some of the fiber parts too. Later I replaced the tires and few other parts just to make it look complete and the total cost was close to 20k.

From this
Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img20191104wa0052.jpg

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img_20191028_141320.jpg

To this

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img20200624wa0133.jpg

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img20200624wa0132.jpg

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img20200624wa0141.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:57   #11
BHPian

The CBZ was one my dream motorcycles growing up. Also one of the first ‘performance’ bikes to hit the market in a sea of ‘splendour’s and ‘passion’s. The design still turns heads.

Just for the sentimental value I would suggest to hold on. It’s not like you will get a lot of money in as is condition for this bike.
Old 12th August 2021, 16:01   #12
BHPian

1st Gen CBZ was a a cult machine launched probably a couple of years before it's time. I would agree with fellow BHPian's suggestion to keep and restore if you love the bike, besides they don't make such machines anymore. Somehow I feel the recent commuter bikes are built in such a way that they don't withstand the test of time beyond say 5 year mark and one is forced to upgrade due to niggling issues. I still have my '03 1st Gen Pulsar with me after 18 years with 1.2L Km on the clock. It was my daily runner for an office commute of 80Kms to and fro, couple of years back I had backache issues carrying my heavy backpack, so I got a Aprilia SR150 for easy city commutes. However the Pulsar is still kept neatly tucked in parking taken out once in a while, annual service/general checkup ensures mechanicals and fluids are taken care off. Here's a pic post a quick wash n wax session at an express bike wash place. Still has the original factory paint, courtesy: Waxpol scooter wax polish and some arm grease.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-img_20170708_222944_063.jpg  

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 12th August 2021 at 16:05.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 16:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
  • Bike Restoration - 20000? I have no expertise in this, need experts to help me with this please. Any recommended garages in Kalyan and around Kalyan??
Buddy, even I have a similar dilemma. I own a 2002 Pulsar 150 - which runs great, apart from a couple of niggles.
Now that the bike is due for RC renewal, I thought of getting the niggles sorted & have it re-registered for a new lease of life.

While re-registering the bike isn't a big hassle, the problem is getting the issues sorted. No FNG is willing to repair the bike nowadays.
Note that the spare parts isn't a problem - but the will to spend time to diagnose the problems and fix them.
If the same mechanic gets ~Rs. 500 by just changing the engine oil, washing, etc, why will he spend (or rather waste) his time in troubleshooting issues on an old bike?

BTW the only niggle in my bike is that it wobbles - the fix could be as simple as replacing the rear swing arm bushes, replacing the rear wheel rim (the wobbling started after I put the new rim & the rear tyre couple of years back). If that doesn't solve the problem, the only thing remains is replacing the rear tyre. You see - the problem isn't big, but nobody is willing to solve it
Old 12th August 2021, 19:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
the wobbling started after I put the new rim & the rear tyre couple of years back
I think yours must be a spoke type rim, please try to find a technician (hard to get these days with alloys on almost every bike) who can tighten the spokes and align the rim, this should solve your wobbling issue. If it's an alloy, wheel balancing should solve it as well.
Old 13th August 2021, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Hi 2000rpm

Its all about wanting to keep the bike or not.

I got a 2005 CBZ Star.

In Pune I spent Rs. 5000/- for the Green tax and registration renewal for 5 years. Now its till 2025.

Coming to the bike, i use it sparingly as spares are difficult to find. I plan to keep the bike only for sentimental purpose, as that was the one and only bike I wanted.

Attachment 2192409

I have not done an engine overhaul in all this time. There is some rusting in the silencer. I was looking out for a new one. There is a shop in Pune - Nana Peth area called Geeta Sales Corporation. He has most of the Hero Honda parts as he is a stockist. He quoted Rs. 15,000/- for the exhaust! Im not replacing it at tme moment as the bike is used sparingly.

For Restoration:

1. Look out for rust on the frame and tank.
2. See which panels are brittle and may crack - Tends to happen with the air filter cover and the batter side cover while getting on and off as theres too much stress on those parts.
3. Geeta Sales Corporation - Pune (Exactly at Quarter Gate circle - Nana Peth - Phone Number is - 020 266355106) All Hero Honda Genuine Parts.

I suggest go gradually and keep improving the condition of the bike step by step as it will be easy on the pocket.

I have keep mine and plan never to sell it and keep it street legal as much as I can (Till it passes the fitness tests by the RTO)

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-aa.jpg

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-bb.jpg

Old Hero Honda CBZ | Need advice on multiple points-cc.jpg

Above are some images of the part catalogue which I have. These parts are now only for reference. The part numbers have changes and Hero MotoCorp does not have these spares anymore. Only some dealers / stockists have these parts with them. Some parts of the driveline are common with the Hero Honda Karizma and Hero Splendor.

Do let me know of you need any help with the restoration part / procurement of spares etc. would love to help you out with that.

Cheers!
acestormtrooper is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks