Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 22:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Chassis snaps on a 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan. EDIT: RE to replace chassis, damaged parts for

Just when I was considering looking into getting a used bs4 himalayan. I'd rather just go with a new hero xpulse 200 in this case.
JagMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 23:03   #32
BHPian

Re: Chassis snaps on a 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan. EDIT: RE to replace chassis, damaged parts for

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDS View Post
This is super scary!
I have a 2018 Himalayan, done ~30k & ready for a tour from Pune to Dehradun.
What should the Himalayan owners do as a precaution?

Its a rare case but it would be recommended to get it checked during service and also periodically check the neck joint and more often while on trips. I feel these metal joints don't snap suddenly, the stress point must be developing a crack and sooner or later it would open up wide enough and snap. What else can a Himalayan owner do?
MOUNTAINMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 00:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAINMAN View Post
What else can a Himalayan owner do?
Sell it off and buy a bike from another manufacturer! Why risk life/limb with these death traps and make justifications for the manufacturer.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 09:19   #34
BHPian

Re: Chassis snaps on a Royal Enfield Himalayan | EDIT: RE to replace chassis & damaged parts for fre

Quote:
First, I'd say stop riding this junk. Next, try selling, book your loss and move on. Else, approach your neighborhood "raddi ka dukaan" and try disposing it off by the kilos. That should take care of the precaution part and ensure we are still alive and have peace of mind as well. I am doing the same, in the second step as we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Sell it off and buy a bike from another manufacturer! Why risk life/limb with these death traps and make justifications for the manufacturer.
While reading this thread, my wife happened to take a look at what I was reading and gave the exact same advise. Asked me why I was risking my life with this bike! She has set a deadline of this month end for me to dispose the bike off! Yes, just 2 more days to go.

My brother on the other hand had advised me to go for a TVS Xl 50 instead of this bike. Believe me, I've seen my cousin use his TVS at his farm. With atleast 3 bags of manure and other stuff mounted, the vehicle handles offroading with such ease that it'd put the Himalayan to shame any day. And the best part is, it doesn't break!

On a serious note, it's been an awful experience owning a Himalayan. Just noting my experiences and hopefully will post the thread shortly.
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:53   #35
BHPian

Re: Chassis Snaps on a 2018 BS4 Himalayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This episode is as appalling as it is scary! So much for 100-plus years of manufacturing expertise. Chassis failure is taking design/manufacturing flaws to next .
Man! Expertise and RE don’t belong in the same sentence.
Except for the latest Interceptors and Meteors, of which I don’t have much idea, all REs have a history of poor reliability ; oil leaks, rusting, cracks, faulty gauges. You name it ; RE has got that problem covered.

Actually I am sad, that a purposeful bike like The Himalayan has chassis less reliable than a Hero Bicycle!
buntee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chassis snaps on a Royal Enfield Himalayan | EDIT: RE to replace chassis & damaged parts for fre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
First, I'd say stop riding this junk. Next, try selling, book your loss and move on. Else, approach your neighborhood "raddi ka dukaan" and try disposing it off by the kilos. That should take care of the precaution part and ensure we are still alive and have peace of mind as well. I am doing the same, in the second step as we speak

While reading this thread, my wife happened to take a look at what I was reading and gave the exact same advise. Asked me why I was risking my life with this bike! She has set a deadline of this month end for me to dispose the bike off! Yes, just 2 more days to go.

My brother on the other hand had advised me to go for a TVS Xl 50 instead of this bike. Believe me, I've seen my cousin use his TVS at his farm. With atleast 3 bags of manure and other stuff mounted, the vehicle handles offroading with such ease that it'd put the Himalayan to shame any day. And the best part is, it doesn't break!

On a serious note, it's been an awful experience owning a Himalayan. Just noting my experiences and hopefully will post the thread shortly.
One chassis breaking is one too many.

For the Himalayan it's like owners are literally playing Chennai Roulette.

They have added and added and added metal and cross members and welds.

Typical Nana Peth welder style when we used to strip our bikes for dirt rodding and trail bashing.

And still the thing breaks in two!

Only now it weighs a lot more to cart off.

My sincere advice to Jeroen and other friends here and off Team BHP. Cut your losses and sell this bike.

The risk is simply not worth it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 30th August 2021 at 12:10.
ebonho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:08   #37
BHPian

No motorcycle / car, doesn't matter how much "legendary" or whatever the enthusiasts call it, is worth losing your limbs or life, period. I wouldn't dare touch the bike again even if the whole chassis is replaced. There's just too much instances of Himalayans chassis breaking into pieces. The owners should sue Royal Enfield for endangering lives of owners and fellow travelers ! Every time I see a Himalyan on road, these threads flash into back of my mind. There are couple of Himalyan owners on my instagram list, I'm just amazed seeing them take out their bikes every weekend off road and on highway rides.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:27   #38
BHPian

This is a serious issue. even if the bike is used for off roading the chassis should not crack. fight with RE for the charges. for a manufacturing defect why you should bear any charges? the Himalayan is made to withstand harsh conditions and if the chassis snaps on normal riding its a shame for the company.
Old 30th August 2021, 17:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Its a rare case but it would be recommended to get it checked during service and also periodically check the neck joint and more often while on trips. I feel these metal joints don't snap suddenly, the stress point must be developing a crack and sooner or later it would open up wide enough and snap. What else can a Himalayan owner do?
I spoke to the owner of a Royal enfield outlet who has replaced the chassis on a few of these bikes and he echoed what you have written. As per him the chassis doesn't snap in two suddenly it develops cracks first. If the bike develops cracks it should immediately be taken to an authorized service center where they will carry out the replacement of the chassis free of cost to the customer. As per him RE is very proactive regarding this and he hasn't seen any of the never bikes from 2019 and beyond developing these cracks. This is just what he shared with me and I would take it with a pinch of salt. All the service center's may not provide the same level of care as he does.
A350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:04   #40
BHPian

I've seen a similar issue a couple of years back. As the owner said, imagine if it was a high speed scenario.

In spite of such tremendous growth, Royal Enfield just can't get that Quality Control sorted can they?
Old 30th August 2021, 22:11   #41

In a tug-o-war between improving product quality and improving profitability, usually the latter wins. Due to social media and it's measurable impact, manufacturers are more customer friendly now. I dare say the outcome would have been quite the opposite even a decade back.

RE has no excuses for not doing a product recall to correct a mistake which you know could be fatal to your paying customer. Royal Enfield #BuiltlikeaBun
Old 31st August 2021, 09:01   #42
BHPian

Bear the labour cost? Should the customer not be compensated adequately for the trauma and also for the risk he was subject to because of the defect?
I also don't see why the entire bike should not be replaced as a chassis failure is normally not a maintenance issue. As far as my knowledge goes it has to be a design flaw or a manufacturing defect.
Asking the customer to bear the labour cost only shows complete lack of accountability on part of the manufacturer.
knshailender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
I spoke to the owner of a Royal enfield outlet who has replaced the chassis on a few of these bikes and he echoed what you have written.
In continuation to this discussion I also spoke to a mechanic in one of the service centers in Leh who service RE regularly. As per him it is not only the Himalayan chassis which develops cracks but he has come across a few 500 and 350's too whose chassis has cracked due to the constant abuse they were put under in the Ladakh rides. As per him too RE replaces all of these under warranty at the first sign of a Crack and the new replacement chassis for the Himalayan is much heavier and sturdier than the previous one. So I think that examining the chassis particularly the known weak areas around the neck should become a second nature to the owners out there. Selling the bikes to others who may not be aware of this issue without letting them know as to why one is selling the bike has serious moral and ethical issues IMO.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is it just me, or does someone else see the criminal absurdity of the situation as well?

Replace the chassis?!!!!!

On a bike that has a documented history of chassis snapping in two.

That's actually Royal Enfield giving the customer a scond chance at killing himself. The Chennai Roulette.

Eventually there will be a live round in the chamber.

Royal Enfield get serious.

Recall EACH and EVERY Himalayan and give the customer the choice of a FULL REFUND no questions asked, or another non-breaking-chassis Bullet of choice.

Till customers do not organise and take Royal Enfield to court, they will keep mollifying customers with another death trap chassis and spreading the message that the "new improved" chassis is magically different.

Guys this is NOT a metallurgy or quality control thing.

If it was, you would hear of other Bullets breaking their chassis as well.

Not only Himalayan.

This is a gross design issue. From what I hear heads have rolled. But they continue to sell this. As I said, it beggars belief.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 01:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

Here's a thread on the exact same issue from 2017:

Link (Welding defect in Royal Enfield Himalayan; frame cracks!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks