Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 10:58   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon

Arent there any Indian or international vendors which sell pre-load adjusters for the front, that can be easily installed on the Duke / RC motorcycles? Affordable options are easily available for the Royal Enfield 650 twins. There should be something similar for the KTMs as well.

I checked out the RC200 recently. KTM has taken a huge leap forward in terms of the fit and finish, overall quality levels etc. The engine was a let down but the rest of the package is really good (the original KTM script has been flipped!). The platform feels like it deserves the 250 and 390 engines. The major fly in the ointment is the price. Rs 2.77L for the RC 200 is really steep. Thats Suzuki VStrom 250 money. The RC390 is expected to cost Rs 4.1L in Kerala. Ouch.

This premium positioning from KTM is making the TVS Apache RR310 look like a really good VFM proposition in the market.
Old 28th July 2022, 03:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Arent there any Indian or international vendors which sell pre-load adjusters for the front, that can be easily installed on the Duke / RC motorcycles? Affordable options are easily available for the Royal Enfield 650 twins. There should be something similar for the KTMs as well.
Well to me more than preload adjustment, especially on the front, the damping adjustment is much more important. Preload adjustment has greater significance on the shock. If the RC suspension turns out to be soft then a quick spring change would remedy this. Another possible avenue would be to source the KYB suspension from the BTO apache and then machine appropriate sleeves to fir the axle wheels etc. Although the much larger disc on the RC would make matters very difficult, so may be a full wheel plus fork swap- easier said than done though.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I've been eying both the Royal Enfield 650 Twins and KTM 390 Twins for about 2 months and I've researched almost all the aftermarket parts for both. While yes there are many reputed manufacturers that make parts for both the KTM ones are much more expensive and are not as readily available in India.

Ohlins makes an entire front fork cartridge replacement kit for the RE 650 Twins that can be bought for about Rs 31,000-34,000 depending on where you order from, YSS Suspension makes a fork upgrade kit that offers upgraded fork springs, fork valves and adjustable fork tops for Rs 25,000.

KTM parts are much more expensive, the only 2 websites that sell aftermarket KTM front forks in India are Motopoto.com (K-Tech USA 25IDS Cartridge system) and LRLMotors.com (YSS Racing Fork Cartridge kit) both which cost a whopping Rs 83,000 and Rs 74,900 respectively.

K-Tech USA Cartridge System from Motopoto

YSS Racing fork Cartridge kit from LRL Motors

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 28th July 2022 at 10:22.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
KTM parts are much more expensive, the only 2 websites that sell aftermarket KTM front forks in India are Motopoto.com (K-Tech USA 25IDS Cartridge system) and LRLMotors.com (YSS Racing Fork Cartridge kit) both which cost a whopping Rs 83,000 and Rs 74,900 respectively.
Hey man, the cartridge is actually a full suspension upgrade with compression, rebound and preload adjustment. The Interceptor suspension kit only has preload adjustment, springs and the likes.
Old 24th September 2022, 19:29   #50
BHPian

I saw a KTMRC390 at KTM RC Puram,Hyderabad yesterday night. Ran to the showroom(like literally) today evening to have a closer look.
2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-img20220923194001.jpg
2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-img20220923194005.jpg
I love how KTM treats their existing customers. There was this woman who was in the showroom. I repeatedly told her I already own a 390 Duke and came here to just have a closer look at the RC390. I guess she dismissed me as a chapri. I asked her if I could start the bike. She told me there was no fuel in it, and it would not start. Nevertheless, I flicked the kill switch and could hear the fuel pump in action. I started the bike and she gave me a clueless reaction. Turned it off like 10 seconds later. I got off the bike, and the very next moment she took away the keys. I had some work in the service center as well. Once I walked into the service center, I was greeted with "No staff available". I'm not going to this showroom again and would suggest people to go to KTM Kondapur. Staff are comparatively much more interested in customers.

Coming to the bike, I had a very very brief look at it. Immediate change I could notice was the screen UI was much much smoother than the UI on my 2021 bike. I wish KTM introduces an update for old bikes. The buttons on the handlebar had a much better tactile feel to them when pressed. The bike is really smooth in idle, compared to my bike. The blue color is really good, I loved it. And the looks will grow on you.

Onroad price quoted by the saleswoman was 4,05,000 which is really steep and not worth it IMO regardless of the updates KTM has given it, 3.7-3.8 lacs would have been reasonable. Heck, 390 Duke now has an onroad price of 3.6 lacs! Crazy pricing I must say. And people ask why KTM's aren't selling much these days. 2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-img20220924165342.jpg
2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-img20220924165355.jpg
Also, notice my 390 Duke in the background

I really want to take a test ride of this bike.But guess that will only happen if you are seriously interested in this bike.After today's experience I kinda lost interest in going to a KTM showroom again.

Last edited by saikishor : 24th September 2022 at 19:30.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 22:54   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Test ride experience of the new KTM RC 390

While talking to one of the trainers at the Rajini Academy of Competitive Racing (Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review) about what I would need to do to make my motorcycle more track focussed, I was asked to consider the option of picking up a KTM RC390, as it was a bike that was purpose built for racing. After following up with the usually uninterested local KTM dealership, I was handed the keys to the Adv 390 and the RC 390, for short test rides in the city.

2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-20230121_150702.jpg

Here are some observations about the RC 390
+ While opinion is sharply divided on the looks of the new gen RC 390, I have quickly come around to liking it. The proportions of the old bike were far too small for large framed riders. The updated motorcycle looks much more substantial, in comparison. This colour scheme is pretty neat. As per the sales person, young riders arent digging the looks of the new bike, and hence, end up dropping it from their list of potential buys. I suspect that they arent liking the sky high price, either!
+ Along with the looks, the fit and finish levels have gone up rather substantially. The On-Off switch could be better but other than that, the rest of the bike feels like a well made motorcycle. You couldnt say the same for the old RC 390.
+ The bike had less than 100 kilometers on the odometer, hence, I was rather careful during my test ride. Riding in the city, meant that I couldn't get into 4th gear. Despite these limitations, the acceleration from the smoothened out BS6 engine, was quite something! However, be prepared to work the gears, especially in the city. You cant leave it in a higher gear, and enjoy a smooth stream of never-ending torque.
+ The motorcycle was very flickable! I tried leaning off the motorcycle, to simulate cornering 101 exercises, and it felt very natural.
+ The front brake feel was a lot stronger than that on the Adv 390 that I tested, just before it.
+ / - The foot pegs are high set but not uncomfortably so, if you are relatively fit. The handlebars were a bit more relaxed, as compared to the foot pegs. This is going to be really good for track riders / cornering enthusiasts. Ready to race, all the way. On the flip side, the aggressive body posture isnt going to be great for touring. Here, the stock TVS Apache RR 310 scores over the KTM RC 390, while the fully kitted TVS Apache RR 310 BTO will redefine torture on two wheels.
+ / - The engine didn't throw up any heat onto my legs. That said, the loud fan(s?) kept coming on and going off. Between the gruff exhaust note and the vocal fan(s?), this is a clamorous motorcycle.
- The rear preload was set on level 2 of 10. I dont know what the rebound was set to. With my 90 kg weight, the rear end of the bike was bouncing up, after the slightest bit of compression. I identified this even before the test ride started. The showroom team didnt have a C-spanner and didnt seem interested in setting the preload to say a level 5, like I suggested, at a later date. Lighter riders will be thrown off the seat, with this suspension setting. With all due respect, the showroom team didnt have any clue about the rebound problem that I pointed out.
- While KTM has tamed the 390, in each successive iteration, there is no getting away from the fact that this is, was, and will continue to be, a buzzy powerplant. Once the engine opens up, after a few thousand kilometers, it will only find more dollops of ahem, character. Thats just what KTM owners live with, considering the levels of fun that are on offer. Between the aggressive rider triangle and buzzy engine, it is difficult for me to imagine touring for multiple days on this RC 390. That said, if I could only do track days with one motorcycle, this would probably be it.

2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-20230121_144718.jpg

I asked the showroom team why so few bikes have been sold in Kerala (which is KTM country). Apparently, the supply from the company has been very limited, which is why we dont spot them on our roads. That doesnt make any sense. Why launch a bike and then, willingly choke supply to your dealers? I believe that the pricing has a major impact on the sales, or lack thereof. Below is the breakup of the on-road pricing in Kerala. For the remainder of the month, KTM is throwing in the extended warranty (years 3 to 5) for free. So, if you are planning to pick up the new RC 390, now is a good time to do so.

EX - SHOW. - 3,16,987
INSURANCE - 28,473 (1st year B2B, 3rd part for subsequent years)
ROAD TAX - 67,022
VPC. - 1000 (Vehicle preparation charge, a.k.a handling charges )
ON ROAD. - 4,13,483

Optional Packages
Ext Warranty - 2,999
Orange Assist - 999 (Road side assistance)
WAX POLISH. - 1500
TOTAL. - 4,18,981

2022 KTM RC 125 & RC 390 globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-20230121_150720.jpg

I have always maintained that the KTM 250 platform was the perfect middle ground for our varied conditions. Though I have never really been a fan of the 390 series, I found myself quite liking this latest iteration of the RC 390. To me, this is the best version of the 390, that has ever been sold in India. It just might be the best bike that KTM has sold to our masses.
neil.jericho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 17:41   #52
BHPian

I feel now is the right time to launch the RC in 250 guise. Regardless of how good the RC390 is, a 4lac+ onroad asking price is a total dealbreaker to my senses. This iteration of the RC390 will be a very good used buy at a price of 3 lacs, say after a year or so.

Even the RC200 is overpriced. IIRC it has an onroad price of 2.6-2.7 lacs, which is absurd.

Imagine a RC250 with a 3-3.3 lac onroad price tag. It will do the trick. KTM offers the 250 engine on the Duke and Adventure, so why not on the RC?

Mind you, I am a 390 Duke owner, and I have never ridden a KTM 250. I absolutely hate this engine as I found it was a neither here nor there kind of a case, both in the Duke and Adventure. But in case of the RC, I somehow suddenly find it to make sense. I feel it will hit a sweet spot in terms of pricing and positioning.
Old 3rd August 2023, 17:23   #53

Hi guys,

Can anyone help with the price of the adjustable front fork assembly on the 2023 RC 390?
Also some additional parts price if available - front brake caliper, front alloys, front disc, axle, t-stem, top plate and clip ons?

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd August 2023 at 17:32. Reason: Minor edit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks