Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India

I got the same kind of talk from my local showrooms as well. People still inquiring after the 220, but not many takers for the 250. I guess the Pulsars sell mostly either by word of mouth or on nostagia value. Maybe Bajaj should've styled the bike a bit sharper, similar to the 220 just to let people know this is no alien, but still their friendly neighbourhood hooligan.

Because when I rode it, I felt the 250 is a really, really good bike on its own merits and deserves to sell well (provided the bike holds up well enough in the long run). I've not ridden the 220s, just the 200, and the 250 seems to be a very agreeable replacement.

It's very friendly and practically made. The bike may be a bit slower than the competition and the low end may not be great, but it's a pleasure to ride (and this is not something I thought I'd ever say about a pulsar). The throttle is smooth, engine revs nicely all the way to top rpms, the clutch is breezy, the brakes are really nice, and the suspension is very comfortable. I wager everyday riding is going to be just a damn pleasure in comparison to most other 200s and 250s. It's really the everyday biker's bike and makes just the right compromises for someone who wants a good, worry-free riding experience. Felt like a very mature product. Bajaj gets my admiration here even though it may not turn out to be a good business decision. I mean kids want flashy, aggressive, latest-greatest, and this is not carrying that edge like the old pulsars did.

But for anyone who's not too uptight about specs and outright performance, this seems like a great pick. And even though I'll not likely be a customer, it gets a special corner in my heart that no other bajaj product got.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 3rd March 2022 at 16:41.
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:33   #107
BHPian

I would give credit to Bajaj for moving on to new technology keeping the old sentiment of the Pulsars in check, I have not ridden the 250 yet but from reviews on you tube seems to retain some of the old character(there are debates on this). It would be a problem for Bajaj since they are planning to replace the entire lineup with new technology. However I am not too sure how much of the current lineup sells in comparison to competition (I am referring to 200cc and above the NS and RS and Domi 250), sales of the 150 and 125 have also dwindled a bit.

What is funny is if you compare the new RE Classic and Meteor which ideally are replacements of the UCE Classic and Thunderbird, both have got tremendous market response. Same sentiment people have for the old generation Pulsars however compared to the new 250 is garnering lukewarm response. If you compare the motorcycle silhouettes between lets say an RE UCE Classic, J series Classic, UCE TB and J series Meteor, they have almost kept the same lines to retain and invoke the nostalgia, and people are lapping it up. Similarly if you compare the P220 and P250 the silhouette is similar with the half-fairing and other elements, the blue shade brings it even more similar to the P220FI. However public sentiment is a strange thing.

What I keep wondering is the fate of the Avenger. The Avy has always received same updates which the Pulsar has. Is Bajaj planning to plonk the 250 block in the Avenger. There are rumors' and expectations that the Dominar 400 block would have made it to the Avenger, which probably is not happening, but in my honest opinion the long distance old school styled cruiser market is practically empty except probably the Avenger and the Meteor. If only Bajaj would have put the 400 block in the Avenger, it would have blown away and stolen more than 70% of the retro market share.

The current generation is divided into retro styled motorcycle lovers and naked/faired style fanbase. People are queuing up for the CB, Jawa, Yezdi, RE and usage is mostly aspirational highway riding. The Avenger has always been a silent performer without Bajaj not having to make any efforts for its sales traction. A streched out cruiser is far more comfortable for highway cruising than cruising on a city retro.

I have been seriously contemplating of putting my money on an Avenger, however am not sure of its fate.
SidharthaN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 18:04   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
What is funny is if you compare the new RE Classic and Meteor which ideally are replacements of the UCE Classic and Thunderbird, both have got tremendous market response. Same sentiment people have for the old generation Pulsars however compared to the new 250 is garnering lukewarm response. If you compare the motorcycle silhouettes between lets say an RE UCE Classic, J series Classic, UCE TB and J series Meteor, they have almost kept the same lines to retain and invoke the nostalgia, and people are lapping it up. Similarly if you compare the P220 and P250 the silhouette is similar with the half-fairing and other elements, the blue shade brings it even more similar to the P220FI. However public sentiment is a strange thing.
SidharthaN, to be honest, most of us old timers on the motorcycle section of this forum, knew that the new Pulsar 250s were not destined for success. Long story short, Bajaj has not retained the Pulsar DNA with these new launches and the market has ignored what should have been the most exciting products from Bajaj in years. When we look at what the brand and its motorcycles stood for in the early to mid 2000s and look at the twin launch in late 2021, there are virtually no similarities.

But if we look at the competition, they have gone from strength to strength while retaining the DNA of their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
What I keep wondering is the fate of the Avenger. The Avy has always received same updates which the Pulsar has. Is Bajaj planning to plonk the 250 block in the Avenger. There are rumors' and expectations that the Dominar 400 block would have made it to the Avenger, which probably is not happening, but in my honest opinion the long distance old school styled cruiser market is practically empty except probably the Avenger and the Meteor. If only Bajaj would have put the 400 block in the Avenger, it would have blown away and stolen more than 70% of the retro market share.

The current generation is divided into retro styled motorcycle lovers and naked/faired style fanbase. People are queuing up for the CB, Jawa, Yezdi, RE and usage is mostly aspirational highway riding. The Avenger has always been a silent performer without Bajaj not having to make any efforts for its sales traction. A streched out cruiser is far more comfortable for highway cruising than cruising on a city retro.
Unfortunately, the Avenger has been the unloved child in the Bajaj motorcycle family. It is such a nice motorcycle but it remained overshadowed by the Pulsars and once the Dominar got launched, the Avenger found itself cornered. Yes, Bajaj should put the 400 block in the Avenger, as it should in the Pulsar model range.

But the boffins at Bajaj seem to know something that we enthusiasts dont, which is why they refuse to go down these routes to obvious success.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 00:17   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
SidharthaN, to be honest, most of us old timers on the motorcycle section of this forum, knew that the new Pulsar 250s were not destined for success. Long story short, Bajaj has not retained the Pulsar DNA with these new launches and the market has ignored what should have been the most exciting products from Bajaj in years. When we look at what the brand and its motorcycles stood for in the early to mid 2000s and look at the twin launch in late 2021, there are virtually no similarities.
What is this DNA, which is missing in the these new Pulsars? Not at all questioning your thoughts but genuinely curious here.

I have been detached from the motorcycle scene for almost a decade now. I bought my last motorcycle in 2012 and sold in 2015. BUT, I have very fond memories of the two Pulsars that I owned (a 2007 150 DTSi and a 2012 180) and hence, curious. I have ridden the 200NS but didn't connect with it like my 180.

Off-topic: What has happened to the 150cc and above premium segment? Unlike earlier the new offerings from Hero, Honda and Suzuki didn't sell well (and some were discontinued). The old Pulsars and Apache 160/180/200 sold well (but not the 310 or the new Pulsars). If I have the wrong picture about the above, please correct me.

Last edited by ashis89 : 6th March 2022 at 00:35.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:47   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
What is this DNA, which is missing in the these new Pulsars? Not at all questioning your thoughts but genuinely curious here.

I have been detached from the motorcycle scene for almost a decade now. I bought my last motorcycle in 2012 and sold in 2015. BUT, I have very fond memories of the two Pulsars that I owned (a 2007 150 DTSi and a 2012 180) and hence, curious. I have ridden the 200NS but didn't connect with it like my 180.
The connect you had with the P180 is what Neil is referring to. The typical low/mid range grunt of the DTSi block. However from reviews the P250 does have a good low/mid range grunt and is supposedly the most easy going motorcycle pulling seamlessly at lower gears, again a characteristic the P220 had. Honestly I wanted the 250's to succeed. It is the closest one could get to the outgoing P220.

The market is tilted towards adventure based motorcycles or retro cruisers. The P250 though belonging to the sports category can be easily used for touring albeit below probably 100kmph ( I still wonder how people look for bikes which can do speeds of 120-130kmph on the highways. I feel uncomfortable keeping the bike even between 90-100kmph. You have various elements popping out between medians, not to mention oncoming traffic in opposite direction, jaywalkers, and the list goes on), and can go to places where probably a Himalayan, Yezdi, or Xpulse can go, with slightly extended timings but in hands of a capable rider, and probably a lac cheaper. But like I mentioned earlier its not only about biking now, there are a lot of other elements attached to it. Thus the 250's might not find sucess which it is looking for.

Last edited by SidharthaN : 7th March 2022 at 20:48.
SidharthaN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 21:24   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ashis89, if we go back to the early 2000s and consider what made the first generation Pulsar 150 and Pulsar 180 so special, we see that the bikes had cutting edge styling, class leading performance without too much of a sacrifice on mileage, features / technology, constant upgrades etc. They were THE machines to own for young enthusiasts looking to buy their first motorcycle. The Pulsar 220 was the launched in 2008.

Fast forward to 2021, the new F250 looks similar to the Pulsar 220 but the N250 looks like it is a Yamaha MT15 clone. Remove the Bajaj badging and slap on that of a Chinese manufacturer, and everyone here would point fingers and say copy cat! They dont come with any real modern technology / features like bluetooth connectivity, maps etc. They dont even get dual channel ABS, which is like saying that the class topper in school isnt even scoring enough marks to get a distinction in his college! Im not saying that the F250 and N250 are bad bikes. That would be a preposterous claim, because they clearly arent. But they dont embody what the Pulsars did in the 2000s. And therein lies the problem.

The top of the line Pulsars were the shining stars of Bajaj's motorcycle lineup. Now its the slow selling Dominar 400 which hasnt met their own sales expectations. One could argue that the KTM 390 is the true replacement to the original Pulsar 180 but if that is the case, then its basically admitting that Bajaj has watered down its own cash cow.

As a proud first gen Pulsar 150 owner, I feel the company has done a massive disservice to Indian and global customers by not launching the Pulsar 400 ages ago. And along with that, they should have also launched the Avenger 400 as well. One engine - many platforms. See how Royal Enfield is successfully following that business model with their J-series engine. Classic Motors has also done the same with their 3 new launches.

Instead Bajaj went invested in a brand new 250 platform that is going to be the base for all Pulsars going forward. And they have fallen flat on their face.

Quote:
Off-topic: What has happened to the 150cc and above premium segment? Unlike earlier the new offerings from Hero, Honda and Suzuki didn't sell well (and some were discontinued). The old Pulsars and Apache 160/180/200 sold well (but not the 310 or the new Pulsars). If I have the wrong picture about the above, please correct me.
This is a simple question but the answer is complex and can go into pages and pages of discussion!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:34   #112
BHPian

Well,..I have bought one.The N250. I own a Duke 390 and was in the market for a daily commuter(200 or above) and needed a motorcycle with better pillion comfort.
Finally,I made the plunge because
1) The pillion seat is better than its competitors in terms of space and height
2) The bike felt torquey at City speeds. Not much of gear changes needed in City rides.
The bike is really smooth with no vibes at the pegs or bars until you push it to red line.And the ride comfort is excellent.I feel the purchase was a good decision.
However,I agree with the posts here. I didn't see much of an interest in the Pulsar twins either. I saw two Dominars(both 250 and 400s) getting delivered while I was waiting for my delivery and people coming for test rides of the same. Didn't see anyone even making any enquiries for the pulsars. I think the D twins have overshadowed the 250s in terms of value for money/specs and that might be the reason for average sales.
Thamps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 17:42   #113
BHPian

Bajaj trademarks 'Pulsar Eleganz' name, could be its upcoming launch.

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-bajajpulsareleganztrademark.jpg

Source:https://www.motorbeam.com/bajaj-puls...sed-yesterday/
Old 4th May 2022, 15:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj has delivered 10,000 units of the new Pulsar 250 to customers in less than six months since its launch in October 2021.

The Pulsar N250 and F250 are now available in a new Caribbean Blue shade.

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20220504_153721.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20220504_153723.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 16:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
if we go back to the early 2000s and consider what made the first generation Pulsar 150 and Pulsar 180 so special, we see that the bikes had cutting edge styling, class leading performance without too much of a sacrifice on mileage, features / technology, constant upgrades etc. They were THE machines to own for young enthusiasts looking to buy their first motorcycle.
That craze which OG Pulsar started went on for over a decade. As an ex-owner of Pulsar 200, I remember nothing excited me more than Pulsar back then (2007-2008) and I loved that bike to bits. It was raw, looked edgy and had all the right elements. I was smitten.
Fast forward14-15 years and I am not at all excited by this brand. The bikes that excite me now are RE 650 twins, KTM Duke 390 and Yamaha Aerox which isn't even technically a bike! May be your are right, Duke 390 is the right successor of Pulsar 200/220.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 17:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Bajaj has delivered 10,000 units of the new Pulsar 250 to customers in less than six months since its launch in October 2021.
]
I am yet to spot one on the road.

Seems these not so glamorous Pulsars havn't caught the fancy on NCR buyers.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 19:06   #117
BHPian

Seeing one 250F in our office parking everyday. In Red color, the bikes looks big and looks like a Pulsar. But it doesn't have the road presence of the older P220.

Never saw on on the roads of Hyderabad! or may be I have failed to notice.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 21:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Seeing one 250F in our office parking everyday. In Red color, the bikes looks big and looks like a Pulsar. But it doesn't have the road presence of the older P220.

Never saw on on the roads of Hyderabad! or may be I have failed to notice.
I came across a couple. Just around Sainikpuri. I myself saw a red F250. And pretty much that's it.
saitvsk23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 02:17   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Well,..I have bought one.The N250. I own a Duke 390 and was in the market for a daily commuter(200 or above) and needed a motorcycle with better pillion comfort.
Please do make a thorough ownership review / comparison on both these motorcycles. Would put and end to many a speculation, and also help prospective customers.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 22:26   #120
BHPian

I had bought the N250 last month and has completed its first service last week. From my limited knowledge of owning and riding a few motorcycles, and the short period for which I have used the motorcycle, some of the main factors which stand out to me are listed below. Though some of it may seem trivial, i think it ought to be stated for the sake of anyone who is planning to buy the 250.
1) The Large Turning Radius(TR)-It is understandable that the TR cannot be compared to the likes of 125s and 150s which have close to lock to lock turning radius, but the fact is that the TR of the 250 is worse when compared to even larger capacity bikes like the Duke's. Being a motorcycle targeted predominantly as an urban street bike, this definitely sticks out as a sore point. Be it pulling out of a parking lot or taking a U turn on the narrow streets, one will definitely notice the lack of maneuverability in tight spaces.

2) Flighty at higher speeds- Some of the reviews by journalists had pointed out the same for the naked 250. I didn't understand the statements at the time, but once I tried to attain those speeds (120-30ISH),I understood exactly what they meant. It is understandable that one does not travel at 130+ on a regular basis on our roads, but at those speeds, the front feels too light and light bumps easily upset the bike. The front also chatters on slight undulations of the road on such speeds. In essence, the N250 is a nervous handler near its top end. This may be useful for people planning to buy one with occasional track days in mind.
However, all the reviews state that the faired version is more stable due to the additional weight at the front. I can't comment on the same since I have not ridden a F250 at those speeds.

3. The riding position is a mixed bag, the upper half a bit more leaned forward and sporty and the lower half is kind of a sporty commuter position. The seat height feels lower than its competitors like RTR 200, FZ 250 etc. Again, the faired version of the 250 has a more upright seating position, though it is the one with the Clip on handlebars. Go Figure.
The pillion footrest is a different story. It is the lowest among all its competitors, and lower than most of the 160s even. This will make climbing on to the seat easy for pillions. The seat is soft and the pillion seat is long and has ample space.

4.The bike is punchy and has more than enough grunt in city. The bottom end torque is amazing and one can putter along with minimum gear changes. I felt the gear ratios are on the shorter side. Also there is not much of heat transfer to the legs even in bumper to bumper traffic.

5. The engine is smooth even at higher RPMs. The bike does not vibrate much at the handlebars or pegs when revved hard. Ride quality is plush and it soaks up bumps and gutters efficiently.

6.The brakes are from a new brand, Gremica and I felt the brakes to be sharp and has feel at the levers. The rear brakes does feel wooden at times though. The clutch is light and therefore a boon in city traffic. The mirrors offer good coverage and does not vibrate while running. The gearshifts are slick and smooth.

7. The stock MRF Zappers are grippy enough at moderate lean angles and braking. I also didn't feel any lack of grip in the wet.

8. Though it is not the most nimble 250, it does not feel heavy or sluggish while riding. However, it is not as eager to turn into a corner as a RTR or DUKE. i felt the the exhaust note is similar to the Dominars.

This is my short ownership review. I think that rest of the things like the cluster, features etc are covered in YouTube reviews. As requested, comparing D390 and P250 would be futile as both are motorcycles in different segments. P250 is half the price of a D390 and even if one ignores the price, the P250 does not stand even a tiny chance to the Duke in terms of performance and handling . However, the 250 beats Duke by a huge margin in case of ride quality, smoothness and city tractability.
The RTR 200 is more nimble and flickable and has more features, but lacks the grunt of the P250. It is cheaper too. FZ25 is in the similar price bracket, but cant comment on the same since i have not ridden one. Duke 250 even though more expensive, is a much better handler and has superior performance too. The Gixxer 250 and Husq twins are also much more expensive.
I think the 250 beats its competitors in similar price backet in terms of pure acceleration, power figures and pillion comfort.

Mods please note: couldn't find an ownership thread for the P250s.can move the post to ownership thread if does not belong here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-img20220505130107.jpg  

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-img20220505130038.jpg  

Last edited by Thamps : 5th May 2022 at 22:54. Reason: additional points
Thamps is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks