Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 09:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post

At this point, due to the issues faced with the dealership, and with the delivery concerns thai I have been through, I would like to keep the name of this dealership confidential for now. I will however share the name of the dealer in a few weeks from now.
makes perfect sense. I did see an article in the newspaper a couple of days back that someone has filed a PIL against making the registration process digital and the High Court has put that on hold. The PIL states that there is too much ownership on the dealers and any errors made by them will become too much of a hassle for the customers.

I just hope that this process is not being stalled for reasons that our RTO's are notorious for.

Last edited by SafeDrive0107 : 25th November 2021 at 09:58.
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 11:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
The PIL states that there is too much ownership on the dealers and any errors made by them will become too much of a hassle for the customers.

I just hope that this process is not being stalled for reasons that our RTO's are notorious for.
I bet the underlying reasons for a PIL are best known to all as the notorious never escape the publicity they gather over a period of time.

Some dealerships manage their tasks and responsibilities really well and efficiently, whereas some dealerships couldn't care less about customer satisfaction and just do their basic jobs whilst their products speak louder than their services. Every coin has its two sides.

This morning I received a message from the RTO confirming the registration number and also that the registration certificate is under process.

I called the dealership some time ago and they said the number plate will be ready tomorrow evening.

Finally after 15 days it seems like the registration formalities are completed.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 25th November 2021 at 11:48.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 12:26   #18
BHPian

Hey guys. My Meteor 350 Green colour has arrived at the depot. Did the PDI and cleared it for the registration. Excited to start riding... Hope this marks a beginning of a new journey with many smiles...
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20211128-12.23.03.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20211128-12.23.33.jpeg  

Palio_2005 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Over the past week I have ridden around and discovered the following on the Meteor 350:

Handling in Dense Traffic

The traffic within Bangalore City barely offers one any free way to go beyond 35kms/hr on most roads. It would be very rare when one rides out during the non peak hours or at odd hours when traffic is at its minimal offering one to rev up to 60kms/hr on the outer ring road when the acceleration needs to be cut short due to the traffic or speed breakers or signal lights.

Being apprehensive initially about its handling in dense traffic I nevertheless rode the bike over varying traffic conditions. From bumper to bumper traffic to moving with traffic at very low speeds.

This bike handles and manages very well. It inspires confidence and enhances your ability to sail through the toughest of situations with ease.

The weight is well balanced and keeps steady even at very low speeds of 3 to 6 kms/hr. The design of the bike is such that you will not realise its weight unless you stop and tilt it down to its side.

The handle is wide enough and you can feel the stretch in your arms when you need to take turns at very low speeds. May be handle raisers would offer a more comfortable feeling when it comes to twists and turns at low speeds.

I have noticed however, that in dense traffic the continuous shifting of gears and constant engaging of the clutch does cause sstrain and pain on the palms. May be the slipper clutch, if offered, would have been a blessing on this motorbike.

I also, felt that at times due to the forward pegged seating position the muscles at the hip bone will probably feel the knotting effect, however if you are fit enough and flexible that's something you need to least worry about.

The seating position, wide handle bars, weight of the bike and its handling will promote disciplined riding and you wouldn't want to cut lanes, overtake through narrow gaps or try to squeeze through flowing traffic.

I can confidently say that this bike will never disappoint you when it comes to handling and ease of riding. Good job RE

To overcome the pain in palms, I shall equip the handle with some good soft handle grips and also get riding gloves for myself in the coming week. I shall consider the handle raisers only if this issue persists, thereafter.

Handle Levers

The handle levers have a deep groove, which I feel are deeper than they should be. Incase the bike were to fall down or if there is an impact of any kind on these levers, then they would snap into two, in a giffy. That's something that RE must look into or I am unsure if it's designed to be that way.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_103911_969.jpg

Gear Shift Foot Lever

I noticed that the gear shift lever is connected to the gear box using a linkage which is fixed in a crude way. The gap between the lever and the linkage is equipped with a pin hole key and loose metal washers with excess play, that adds to the vibration and harshness levels of this motorbike. May be RE could have better designed this and housed it with rubber clad washers and a link rod with minimal play.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_103934_114.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_103929_040.jpg

The gears shift well during riding, with no complaints. Just one point that I would like to mention here is that in very slow moving traffic, while shifting from 2nd back to 1st the play between the gears feels too much and I need to lower the lever twice, from 2nd to N and then from N to 1st. This play is unnoticeable when riding otherwise with quick shifts up and down.

Rear Brake Master Cylinder

The rear disc brake set up is equipped with a master cylinder and an oil reservoir. There are plenty of after market accessories available to protect the oil reservoir, however I feel that it's more important to protect the master cylinder due to its position. I feel that a sump guard would offer the requisite protection, once fitted. Will prioritise getting myself a sump guard soon.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_113726_654.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_113734_000.jpg

Disc Brakes

When the bike is kept idle for a day or two, given the present weather conditions in Bangalore with too much rain and not enough sun light, an oxidation layer forms on the discs that cause a squeaky noise, which disappears after riding a few kilometres. Another thing that we need to pay attention to is that the humid conditions cause swelling of the brake pads leading to a wheel lock or wheel jam condition, which can be best avoided by riding the motorbike regularly, if not everyday.

Cleaning

As the motorbike is being used, so is the need to keep it clean. I realized on cleaning the motorbike that the design of this bike is such that there are many squeezy corners and spaces all over that make it impossible to reach them. A lot of dust and dirt from the roads, especially during the rains will make room on this bike, making it very difficult or impossible to reach and clean it.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_103950_396.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211204_104002_255.jpg

The best way to ensure your bike is neat and clean is to get it jet washed at any of the spray washing centers.

Lights

The lights on the motorbike are adequate and serve their purpose well. I found the lights adequately bright and feel it's not necessary to change from the stock set up to brighter glaring lights. If you are a fan of LED lights then you will not be satisfied with the stock fitment.

Engine Heat

The engine does feel very hot and the heat very easily transmits through the clothing and shoes. Given the close proximity of the engine and exhaust set up, please do take the necessary precautions to ensure you don't burn your skin.

Engine & Exhaust sound

On using the motorbike over the past couple of weeks it becomes more evident that the engine is not very refined or smooth. The harshness, the tappet noise and the eminent sound of the running engine become clearer with each passing day. The harshness of the engine is very noticeable and there are vibrations that can be felt. I feel that the new J engine has been re-engineered by RE to reduce the vibrations and harshness and however not eliminate it totally, keeping up the retro charm of Royal Enfield.

As I continue riding this motorbike my connect with each of its sounds, vibrations and harshness seems to be getting stronger and I am enjoying it.

Also, I think it's no point having a bike with an engine that feels like an electric one. The harshness, vibrations and the noticeable noise from the engine and other moving parts, make one feel that the bike is calling out to the rider trying to communicate and establish a connect leading to a better understanding between the Man and the Machine

Accessories

After riding this motorbike for a few weeks now, I have identified some very essential accessories that are much of a necessity than luxury. I have done my homework and have placed the order on Amazon for these additional accessories that include a leg guard and a sump guard.

Will share more details on this in the coming week once I receive these fitments.
yikes6633 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 17:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To overcome the pain in palms, I shall equip the handle with some good soft handle grips and also get riding gloves for myself in the coming week.
Yikes6633, I would suggest getting “Grip Puppies”, these have been around for a long time. Supposed to help a lot with vibrations, they are soft and comfortable which technically may also help with the pain in your palms. In case you are holding on to the handle bar too hard/firmly, would also suggest holding it gently.

I bought mine from Motousher, but they are available at a lot of other sites too.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-23cefb15b9ca4a62860c56c304df21b3.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-900a019d4e504ee3a03f4fd965184e7e.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th December 2021 at 17:55.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 00:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Over the past week I have ridden around and discovered the following on the Meteor 350:

Handling in Dense Traffic

The traffic within Bangalore City barely offers one any free way to go beyond 35kms/hr on most roads. It would be very rare when one rides out during the non peak hours or at odd hours when traffic is at its minimal offering one to rev up to 60kms/hr on the outer ring road when the acceleration needs to be cut short due to the traffic or speed breakers or signal lights.

Being apprehensive initially about its handling in dense traffic I nevertheless rode the bike over varying traffic conditions. From bumper to bumper traffic to moving with traffic at very low speeds.

This bike handles and manages very well. It inspires confidence and enhances your ability to sail through the toughest of situations with ease.

The weight is well balanced and keeps steady even at very low speeds of 3 to 6 kms/hr. The design of the bike is such that you will not realise its weight unless you stop and tilt it down to its side.

The handle is wide enough and you can feel the stretch in your arms when you need to take turns at very low speeds. May be handle raisers would offer a more comfortable feeling when it comes to twists and turns at low speeds.

I have noticed however, that in dense traffic the continuous shifting of gears and constant engaging of the clutch does cause sstrain and pain on the palms. May be the slipper clutch, if offered, would have been a blessing on this motorbike.

I also, felt that at times due to the forward pegged seating position the muscles at the hip bone will probably feel the knotting effect, however if you are fit enough and flexible that's something you need to least worry about.

The seating position, wide handle bars, weight of the bike and its handling will promote disciplined riding and you wouldn't want to cut lanes, overtake through narrow gaps or try to squeeze through flowing traffic.

I can confidently say that this bike will never disappoint you when it comes to handling and ease of riding. Good job RE

To overcome the pain in palms, I shall equip the handle with some good soft handle grips and also get riding gloves for myself in the coming week. I shall consider the handle raisers only if this issue persists, thereafter.
I wanted to thank you for linking this thread to my post in the other thread asking about how convinent it is to ride the bike in traffic. This thread comparing both is extremely helpful.

A follow up question, how do you plan to elevate the pain from engaging the heavy clutch regularly in traffic? The handbar grips and gloves would help in terms of the pain on the palm from gripping but the pain due to the weight of the clutch would still remain right? Any way to fix that?
i_rock098 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 23:37   #22
BHPian

The Meteor 350 has been a splendid experience over the past one month now. The rains slashing Bangalore hasn't deterred me from taking the bike around on frequent rides.

I surely have learnt that it's a very difficult job to clean this bike. The road spray reaches the most unthinkable places that are extremely hard to reach and clean.

It sure would be easy to get the bike washed at one of the washing spa's rather than doing it at home with a pipe/bucket and washing cloth.

I got myself riding gloves and have been using it. The stress on the palm has definitely reduced. I've also placed an order for the grip puppies as suggested above, will share the feeling and experience once I receive and fit them.

On the stress caused by the constant use of the clutch in heavy traffic, well that's something that one just has to get used to and I feel if the Meteor came with a slipper clutch then this issue would never have arisen. By the by I have started doing some palm and finger strengthening exercises to avoid the pain in the palms and fingers due to constant clutch use in dense traffic.

Over the past week, I ordered a sump guard and a leg guard on Amazon after considering the OEM accessories as well as visiting some of the shops in the automotive market selling accessories.

After a thorough analysis and research, I ordered the following sump guard and leg guard.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08QDFQRWF/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_6SQAHZ0X2B75MTPBAMG1

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09BR5R4TJ/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_Q05MJ7TQR45N2RTWY711

I chose these as I do not like the leg guards offered by RE as they come in 4 pieces and as for the sump guard, I just wanted something different.

There are a variety of options, designs, clamps and types of accessories available after market, please make sure that the accessories you choose are a direct fit, else it would be quite a daunting task to fit it on the bike.

After having received the sump guard and the leg guard yesterday, I spent the whole of today in fitting them myself.

The leg guard was a direct fit without much effort, nonetheless the clutch cable interferes with its fitting. Need to be tactful while fitting the leg guard such that it doesn't interfere with the clutch cable.

As for the sump guard, the accessory came with the requisite clamps and bolts, however as I understand that the sump guard needs to be removed for every oil change I wanted an easy fitment and removal of it.

I visited a local fabricator and got the nuts welded on the clamps so that I do not waste time each time I have to remove the sump guard or refit it. It's so simple now, all I need to do is remove the 4 bolts and fasten them back as and when needed. After the nuts were welded, I also painted the clamps to retain the good finish.

The below pictures would best describe the fitment and modifications carried out to accessorize my meteor with the essential leg guard and sump guard.

1) Welding the nuts on the clamps provided

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211126_151339_443.jpg

2) Painting the clamps after the requisite fabrication

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211126_151318_970.jpg

3) Unpacked sump guard

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_165907_501.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_165914_255.jpg

4) Fitting the clamps for the sump guard

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_165119_481.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_165209_793.jpg

5) Fitting the leg guard

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_161237_422.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_161228_554.jpg

6) Sump guard clamps synchronised with the leg guard clamp

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_162731_279.jpg

7) Leg guard fixed

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_161256_206.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_184654_735.jpg

8) Sump guard fixed

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_173708_802.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_173648_340.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_173634_343.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20211209_173734_680.jpg

When fitting, please ensure that the clutch cable is not squeezed, pinched or jammed between the frame and the leg guard. I missed it and had to remove and refit it again correctly.

Also, please ensure that you buy the sump guard with proper clamps, as there are a few options available on Amazon that offer individual clamps. Please do not buy the ones with the individual clamps, as these will be most cumbersome to fit and even more cumbersome to remove.

If you like the one offered by RE then just go for it and incase you prefer something different then the one I have fitted with a small bit of fabrication will be ideal too.

The next thing that I am looking forward to doing on my motorbike is to add a switch to the AHO. I shall probably do this after the completion of the 1st service which is due the following week.

Will share the servicing updates soon, customisations I do and also continue to share the experience of owning it with its handling and ride experiences

Last edited by yikes6633 : 9th December 2021 at 23:51.
yikes6633 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:00   #23
BHPian

Hi. What is the tyre pressure which is best maintained for RE Meteor. I too noticed the harshness of the engine and the whine which is not present in the older versions. The Honda CB350 is definitely smoother. The clutch does cause pain in the palms and I have noticed the hip joints pain a bit. Need to get fitter
Old 13th December 2021, 00:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi. What is the tyre pressure which is best maintained for RE Meteor. I too noticed the harshness of the engine and the whine which is not present in the older versions. The Honda CB350 is definitely smoother. The clutch does cause pain in the palms and I have noticed the hip joints pain a bit. Need to get fitter
The tyre pressure needs to be 32 psi on the front and 36 psi on the rear. As I continue riding and synching in with this motorbike, the more prominent does its engine harshness seem. Nevertheless, it's fun cruising on this bike.

The Honda Highness may be a smoother package overall, however it lacks the relationship that evolves between the Man and the Machine. This connect between the Man and Machine only grows bigger with the Meteor

Once you have good handle grips, wear riding gloves and ensure keeping up your fitness levels then the pain in the palms/fingers will vanish. Do ensure to work on your flexibility and exercise twisting to the left and right to minimize the pain at the hip joints.

On the highway this motorbike will never miss bringing a smile on your face and a feeling of complete satisfaction of owning a Royal Enfield Motorbike.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 09:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The tyre pressure needs to be 32 psi on the front and 36 psi on the rear. As I continue riding and synching in with this motorbike, the more prominent does its engine harshness seem. Nevertheless, it's fun cruising on this bike.
Thanks. I checked the manual. It says 32/32 if solo and 32/36 if with a pillion. Now do we change tyre pressure every time we switch between solo and pillion? Another question is about the rear shock setting. Recommended is level one for solo and level 6 with pillion. Same question here... Do we change this every time.

Or do you seasoned riders keep some mid point? I have purchased enfield branded gloves which surely help. Now will try the grips as well.

Accessories planned

Riding boots - Raida short tourer boots shortlisted
Tank bag
Side saddle bag (canvas type) which can be fixed to saree guard
Sump guard (RE brand)

Gear purchased
Bell Qualifier Helmet
Rynox Touring jacket
Rynox gloves and knee guards
Old 13th December 2021, 11:24   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Gear Shift Foot Lever

I noticed that the gear shift lever is connected to the gear box using a linkage which is fixed in a crude way.
That's actually a good thing.

It is a DIY Friendly design and quite reliable compared to the ball joint design seen on the premium Honda's.
Old 30th December 2021, 09:57   #27

We keep 32-32 when riding solo. We kept 32-36 during our mumbai-spiti trip as we had loaded with luggage. We completed 10,000 kms so far and really satisfied with the machine. ASS is fine, but could be better. (parts shortage noticed)
Old 30th December 2021, 10:02   #28
BHPian

The Meteor 350 was due for it's 1st free service on 21st Dec 2021. The booking of the service appointment was easy on the RE App and a good experience in itself.

Reached the service center at 10:00am and the service advisor gave priority to checking in my meteor 350 as I had an appointment. I did notice that there were over 35 bikes that came in without a prior booking for service, however none were turned down. A prior booking only provides higher priority for checking in and checking out after service completion.

RE service schedule, prescribes a tappet adjustment in their first service, however I insisted that the tappet on my meteor not be adjusted, as it requires the opening of the engine block head unit after stripping open the seats and petrol tank, too early to strip open the bike at only 500kms. Besides the tappet noise is not irritating me as yet, though it persists in every Meteor 350.

The bike was serviced in 3 hours and returned to me. The service was impressive, however due to over crowding at the service center there were a few scratch marks on the number plate as well as the clutch lever. This may be due to the bike being tilted down on its side during the washing or just due to so many bikes being parked next to each other. Anyway not a matter of big concern.

I was charged 1074/- for the first free service towards oil/consumables and polishing.

I received quite a few calls and emails for feedback and performance after service. RE also sent a personalized email requesting inputs and feedback on the riding experience of the meteor 350 and what may be improved to make the riding experience better. Quite surprised on the follow up from one of the oldest motorcycle manufacturers in the world.

Loving the Meteor 350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
That's actually a good thing.

It is a DIY Friendly design and quite reliable compared to the ball joint design seen on the premium Honda's.
@ ashwinprakas, I don't doubt the ease and practicality of the design, however unhappy with the finishing of this set up, as it could have been given a little more attention and finished with rubberized washers etc to reduce the harshness.
yikes6633 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:44   #29
BHPian

AHO Off - DIY

On turning the key onn on the Meteor 350, the DRL comes on. This DRL ring is not evident once the motorbike is started as the halogen headlight comes on when the engine is running.

It's also noticed that when the engine is running and headlight is onn, if you happen to lower the side stand down when in gear the engine cuts off, however the headlight continues to remain onn.

The Meteor 350 comes only with an electric start and doesn't have a kick start lever. The headlight remaining onn will surely drain the battery out, if it goes unnoticed, which is a downer. I also feel that the whole purpose of the DRL is lost with the headlight onn all the time.

I did some research and found out that there are a couple of electronic switches with the most popular one being from Novatronix, costing about 1500/- after discount.

There are other possibilities of turning off the headlight with the use of a male/female H4 headlight harness and fitting it with a switch after cutting the requisite wires on the additional H4 male/female harness.

The warranty on the Meteor 350 will be void if we were to cut the original wiring in anyway for fitting accessories. I went through the wiring diagram and opened up the headlight dome to identify the headlight wiring circuit on the Meteor 350 and it's fairly simple to identify and work with.

I figured out a simple way to have the AHO turned off in approximately 100/- only. All you will need is a UNO Minda on/off handle bar switch, insulation tape, a tiny scissors, a few electric connectors and a screwdriver.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_164714_126.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_164648_025.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_153846_837.jpg

The headlight dome may be opened up by loosening two screws. Once the screws are removed, we need to gently lower the headlight dome and unplug the H4 harness as well as the DRL connector from the headlight housing. We can open the plastic protector holding the wires in place inside the headlight dome. Once removed we need to identify the headlight wiring which is a white color 6 pin harness.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_135431_705.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_135447_259.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_141807_489.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_141745_129.jpg

The wire of use to us is the yellow & red colored wire. With the help of the tiny scissors we can free this wire from the white casing and connect it to one of the two wires of the on/off switch. Using the connectors we can join the second wire of the on/off switch to a connector pin and insert the connector pin into the 6 pin white casing.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_141832_837.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_141819_526.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_153926_135.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_153852_901.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_155607_256.jpg

Once done we need to fit the switch on the handlebar at a convenient location. The wires need to be insulated well and the plastic protection may be fixed back followed by the headlight housing.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img_20220103_175314_129.jpg

The addition of this switch does not alter any functioning of the original set up. The pass light, dim/dip and DRL will work like it originally did. The only change is that when the switch is in the off position the headlight only, will not turn onn when the engine is cranked up/running. The headlight will come on only when the switch is turned onn.

I also noticed that when the headlight is turned off the engine sounds slightly more relaxed during idling than when the headlight is onn.

I am very happy and satisfied with this set up and it doesn't require spending a lot of money to get the desired result.
yikes6633 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 14:47   #30
BANNED

Hi All,

I own a 4 month old Stellar Pure black Meteor 350. I really love the bike and am thoroughly enjoying it. Quality and refinement wise, it really is well executed by RE. The one thing I absolutely hate though is the rear suspension and the ride quality. It is not much of an issue on smooth highways, but in the pothole ridden cities, it is a back breaker. It is super stiff, even in the lowest preload setting.The rider triangle aggravates the issue, as the back is unsupported. My lower back has been hurting to such an extent that I am seriously considering parting ways with it. I also have the touring seat installed, although it is comfortable, it seems to make no difference to aid back pain. Why would you do this to such a wonderful motorcycle RE ?

I see many other users too facing a similar issue, and have been coming up with a number of solutions. The most common and the most effective one seems to be swapping the rear suspension with Classic 350's gas charged units. It is said to be softer compared to the non-gas charged Meteor's suspension.

I really love the bike and want to keep it longer. Hence, I have installed three upgrades in the hopes that it might prove effective.
1. Swapping the rear suspension with the Classic's Nitrox suspension.
2. Adding handlebar risers to alter the rider's triangle.
3. Adding an air seat (Fego float) for additional shock absorption.

Will update how much of a difference this has made after about a week or two. If the improvement is not significant enough, I am afraid I have no other option but to part ways. Please suggest if there are any additional solutions as I really want to keep the bike longer.
vasist is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed