Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:59   #31
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review

Hi All, as mentioned earlier, I am updating the impact of the solutions after around two weeks of usage.

1. Suspension change:
The short summary is that it makes a lot of difference! I was expecting the swap to be a straight forward procedure. However the the new units were about 3 to 4 mm slimmer than the stock ones. None of the YouTube videos mentioned it. I guess they just pressed the clamps tight with pliers. The service advisor however suggested I get custom made bushes to fill out the extra space. He was willing to get it machined from one his contacts. I went ahead with his suggestion and everything else was quite easy. I have set the preload on the lowest setting on the new units as well, and now the ride is super soft. To the extent that it bottoms out on big bumps with a pillion on board, but I don't mind it.

2. Fego Float air seat:
Enough has already been discussed about this in the forum, so will not repeat the same. Installation is quite easy, just need to pass the loops below the seats and done. It does what it claims, isolates the rider from jerks. But you always keep bobbing around when braking and accelerating. After about a week though I got used to it and it doesn't bother me. The biggest issue with this though is the constant fear of it getting stolen when parked in public spaces. If only there was a better way to secure it.

3. Handlebar riser:
This one was pretty hard to source. Legundary customs makes a wonderful pair for the Meteor, but has been out of stock for almost a month. The rest of the ones are of pathetic quality. Please stay away from the ones sold on Amazon, they are flimsy and won't align properly. In my search I came across a beautiful pair of risers from Carbon Racing, made for Interceptor 650. Checked with them if it would fit the Meteor as well. The response was affirmatory, so went ahead and purchased a set. They fit perfectly well on the Meteor. Quality is amazing and price is super reasonable. Plus extra brownie points for their customer support team, who I felt were honest and transparent. The riding position feels a lot better now and I don't have to stretch to reach the handlebar.

In conclusion, all the issues I have been facing seem to have been resolved to a great extent, and I no longer face back pain. This one seems to be a keeper

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8341.jpg
Notice the custom bushes next to the suspension head.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8344.jpg
The canister needs to be pointing forward.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8350.jpg
The canister on the left slightly fowls with the chain cover, but is not a major issue.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8351.jpg
Fego float air seat.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8352.jpg
Is slightly upswept since I have the touring seat installed. Would be more comfortable on a normal seat.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8339.jpg
Handlebar risers from Carbon racing

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8337.jpg
The amount of lift it provides.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8347.jpg
The stock headlight was pathetic so got this cool looking unit from HJG. It works surprisingly well. Beam spread and throw is good, and did I say how cool it looks.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 - Ownership Review-img8348.jpg
Bye for now.
vasist is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 00:52   #32
BHPian

Took my first real test ride of the Meteor today. A colleague of mine picked up a new meteor which had been booked and customized by someone else who then decided not to buy it. Silver Supernova + touring seat + larger footrests and a few other bits.

The motorcycle is supremely refined and very responsive. Its like a well behaved puppy whose behaviour is predictable and comforting. The nimble acceeration, the ability to plant your feet down even for short riders like me, the impressive brakes which stop without any drama and the smooth gearshifting with the heel lever. Loved it.

I would definitely recommend this to new riders who want to go touring or even old riders who want a motorcycle which will last until they hang up their riding boots forever

Saw the Scram 411 in person too. Its okay. Neither here nor there unlike the Yezdi Scrambler which i really liked. Planning on getting the battery side cover and the air filter side cover of the Scram 411 to install on my Himalayan. Love the look of the cover and especially the word "Scram" in those bright yellow fonts
Old 10th April 2022, 21:39   #33
BHPian

I am considering getting a new Classic 350 as I found it to be a very likeable bike with old school charm and almost no vibrations. Have test ridden it around 6-7 times now!
The only deterrent for me is the stiff rear suspension. Even at the lowest setting it’s quite stiff. For me(rider) it’s still okay but for my wife (pillion) it’s very stiff.
I read that RE in the new Classic/Meteor increased the rear suspension travel by 10 mm when compared to the older Classic 350 and also increased the ground clearance by 35 mm. I get that due to this they might have stiffened the rear suspension which also suits the new tauter chassis. However it should have been softer at least in the lowest setting.
I am looking at options that can make the suspension better. Swapping with the older Classic gas charged shocks seems to be a solution, however I am not sure how would it affect the higher speed handling. The older Classic suspension is quite cushy at the lowest setting (which actually bottoms out) so would a mid setting (2/3) of the preload get some balance back?
@Vasist - Have you ridden on the highway post the suspension change? How is the high speed ride (80+)?

Or are there any other aftermarket suspension options? Would appreciate some response given that my heart is too much invested in getting the new Classic but the rear suspension is playing a spoilsport at the moment.

Last edited by Waspune : 10th April 2022 at 21:49.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:36   #34
BANNED

Quote:
@Vasist - Have you ridden on the highway post the suspension change? How is the high speed ride (80+)?
Hi @Waspune! Yes, I have ridden it on highways a couple of times post the suspension swap. I am a sedate rider, and my cruising speed is around 80 Kmph, with occasional 100+ Kmph bursts during overtakes. Also do note that I am running on softest preload setting. The stability is still quite good for my riding style. In fact I would say it is now better, because earlier the front suspension felt softer compared to the super stiff rear ones. So, after hitting a pothole at speed, the rear would settle down faster compared to the front, hence the setup felt wallowy. But now, I feel they are better matched. I would say the suspension being soft is not an issue, as it is not a very fast motorcycle by modern day standards, and the nitrox suspension is more than capable of handling the cruising speeds of the Meteor/Classic.

In the city, like you have rightly mentioned it does bottom out on the softest preload, especially with a pillion on board. But the default setting, which I believe is 2 steps higher than the softest one should solve this issue. Bumping up the preload will also improve the stability to match any riding style and speeds the J series engine is capable of.
vasist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 21:19   #35
BHPian

Hello Meteorians, have finally made my mind to add a meteor fireball Red to my garage. Though I m not a regular biker and more of a car guy. Owning RE thunderbird was always a dream and the plan had always taken a back seat for every other thing in life. Now finaly decided to pamper my self with a meteor before i turn 40(ohh yes i know its just a number)
Had owned quite a few commuter bikes earlier but wanted a cruiser this time. Took the test rides for meteor and classic, but felt the meteor more suited to my height and seating posture that I am looking for.
A few Questions to all,
1. Any discounts I can expect?
2. Is the lower seat comfortable?
3. Buying from a very small showroom is okay in terms of genuineness and service

Anything that i should not miss on the accessories?
Thanks in Advance!
Old 19th April 2022, 10:10   #36
BHPian

Hi and congratulations on your decision to buy a RE Meteor. Let me assist you by answering some of the doubts you had in your post.
I doubt you would get any discounts as the prices of the bikes are almost fixed and since they are quite in demand, dealers Sheldon have a hard time to sell it.
Yes, I believe they offer a low ride seat.
3. Buying from a very small showroom is okay in terms of genuineness and service
I suggest if possible get a bike from a company outlet and then maybe get the service done at your nearest service centre, that's what I did as well.

Get the engine bash plate it has both form and function. Also get the backrest it adds to pillion comfort rest all accessories are upto you like the windshield and the wider footpegs. I personally have installed the wider footpegs for both pillion and the rider and it works like a charm.

You can check the pictures of my bike in my post on team bhp, might help you out to select out the accessories for your ride.
Wishing you many safe miles ahead and welcome to the club.
VRod_24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 18:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRod_24 View Post
Hi and congratulations on your decision to buy a RE Meteor. Let me assist you by answering some of the doubts you had in your post.
I doubt you would get any discounts as the prices of the bikes are almost fixed and since they are quite in demand, dealers Sheldon have a hard time to sell it.
Yes, I believe they offer a low ride seat.
I suggest if possible get a bike from a company outlet and then maybe get the service done at your nearest service centre, that's what I did as well.

Get the engine bash plate it has both form and function. Also get the backrest it adds to pillion comfort rest all accessories are upto you like the windshield and the wider footpegs. I personally have installed the wider footpegs for both pillion and the rider and it works like a charm.

You can check the pictures of my bike in my post on team bhp, might help you out to select out the accessories for your ride.
Wishing you many safe miles ahead and welcome to the club.
Thank you Buddy for the response. The showroom is a site-listed RE showroom only but , its very small as compared to the big ones that we see with other accessories and apparels on display. But I am getting some good offers on accessories and Insurance, hence trying to save some bucks
Planned accessories as of now:
1. Back rest
2. Leg guard
3. Seat covers
4. Sump guard
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 16:27   #38

This reply is specifically for low ride seat option.

I would recommend low ride seat for anyone who likes a softer seat. My wife uses that and its so comfortable as compared to my seat (Touring). We have done mumbai - spiti - mumbai and didn't have any issue with either seat. But whenever I sit on her bike it is so much more comfortable (softer).

ps
We are rider couple and I am my wife, each ride RE meteor 350. So far done 2 major rides, Mumbai - Spiti - Mumbai, Mumbai - Goa - Mumbai.

Let me know if any more questions.
calmleesunk8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 14:28   #39
BHPian

Got my Classic 350 a month ago and I do feel the need to change the rear suspension to nitrox. I hear only positive review about this change so far with what i search from forums and youtubers.
Plan to change this during first service, any feedback from the group here?

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 6th January 2023 at 14:30.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:42   #40

This is one really beautifully compiled ownership thread. Was really helpful when i was finalizing on my beast.
Old 1st February 2023, 16:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Plan to change this during first service, any feedback from the group here?
Hi Sir,

Did you get your 1st service done yet ? Any updates on the rear suspension upgrade to nitrox ?
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Hi Sir,

Did you get your 1st service done yet ? Any updates on the rear suspension upgrade to nitrox ?
Yes service done but SC guys are not ready to change the suspension and they tell on the face it wont fit on current generation. Have to get this done outside sometime later.

RE ASC is anyway a joke, just to keep the service record for any warranty claim have to go there.

Meanwhile, i tried to fiddle up with different suspension setting by adjusting the spring using the given tool, (FYI by default it comes with softest setting) Got it set to 3rd/mid position to see whether it further goes bad, but not. i felt 0 difference between the softest and mid setting.

Something is really not right whatever this suspension which RE is using.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Yes service done but SC guys are not ready to change the suspension and they tell on the face it wont fit on current generation. Have to get this done outside sometime later.
To be honest, it (i.e. suspension replacement) didn't sound like something that you could get an A.S.S. to do. FNG seemed like the way to go, all the while.

I'm currently in a dilemma to choose between Classic 350 (for riding triangle and the need for almost zero after mkt modifications) or Interceptor 650 (for Power), hence the interest.

Enjoy your ride !
Old 5th February 2023, 20:30   #44
BHPian

Thank you for lots of information on this ownership thread.

I have booked a Stellar black today in Bangalore. I have opted for following accessories as of now:
Touring seats - Rider and Pillion
Touring windscreen - Bigger one
Sump guard
Engine guard

Have also opted for extended warranty for 4th and 5th year which comes with RSA.

The sales person told me since I am opting for touring seats, this is considered as customized bike.

The estimated delivery date in app is 28th Feb but I am expecting it to be delivered in 2 weeks.

Questions for fellow BHPians:
Can I expect 2023 make?
Is it worth getting delux footpegs?
Old 5th February 2023, 22:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshc18 View Post

Can I expect 2023 make?
Is it worth getting delux footpegs?
First of all congrats on your booking, the Meteor is a great choice and will be a wonderful companion. To answer your questions:
Since your bike is a customized one, it will be a 2023 make
Regarding deluxe pegs, I'd say ride it with the standard footpegs till the 1st service and if you're not comfortable with it, you can always change to the deluxe ones later. I ordered deluxe pegs on my Meteor during booking but somehow the shifting didn't feel comfortable with the big pegs, so swapped the deluxe pegs to the pillion and got the standard pegs for the rider. It all comes down to personal preference.

Wishing you a happy and trouble free ownership experience!
rahulcmoulee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks