Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 18:53   #46
BHPian

Re: What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?

I doubt there's any problem with the coneset or the tyre. there's no wobble if i remove the topbox. I have my doubts on the zana top rack. it seems to extend much further back than one would like. I am not sure if others have faced the same issue. Mesh seat looks promising
Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Instead of gel seat get a mesh seat cover installed as done by shravansp24 seen here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5386024 (Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250)

Yup keep the chain lubed chain as much as possible. Instead of getting a fancy spray get a 1L of SAE 90 oil for lubing. It will settle after first few thousand kilometres.

Remove the top box and see if the handle still wobbles. If it does then there will be a problem with the cone set or your front tyre. Get them replaced under warranty.

Also, increase the preload on the rear to accommodate for the extra weight of the top box by a couple clicks.
Old 17th January 2023, 19:17   #47
BHPian

Re: What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
there's no wobble if i remove the topbox. I have my doubts on the zana top rack. it seems to extend much further back than one would like.
If there is no wobble when the top box is removed, it definitely points out to the top box. One of the main reasons some people (including me) don't like top boxes is that they seem to mess with the bike's aerodynamics.

What windshield are you using? See if a bigger windshield helps although I doubt it as seen researching top box aerodynamics.

https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/...-aerodynamics/
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/thr...namics.128419/

From the above forums see if the wobble reduces when there is a pillion or duffle bag on the pillion seat. This might help in reducing the eddies between the rider and the top rack and might make the wobble a little less.
Old 15th March 2023, 02:56   #48
BHPian

Hi,
So the upgrade bug has slowly started to bite me too, and I am keenly looking forward towards something bigger than what I ride now. I got myself a Yamaha FZ25 mid of last year and have put 5000kms on it so far. My first bike too. It has been with me to hills, hairpins, super fast highways, off-road, and city commutes. The perfect "hot-hatch" city bike that can do highways too. Love the bike. Especially its body balance and how well it handles. The low-end torque is like a dream. "Low spec-sheet power figures", but it's one of those bikes that you need to ride to understand that a bike is more than just numbers on paper.

Okay, so why the upgrade itch? Well, the FZ is a little basic. Not much electronics. At the top end, it struggles. Have made it sit at 130 kmph for quite some kms on a safe highway stretch and it just kept refusing to pull anymore. There are mild vibrations at 70-80 which is apparently a good lazy cruising speed. And I think I am used to the power so much that I probably just need a little more. Well, maybe a little more than "little more".

Over these 5k kms, I have realized that I as much as I enjoy the low-end torque, I also need something that screams and is enjoyable at the top-end. A moderately fast highway cruise is what I want probably. And as much as I loved sportsbikes because they looked good in photos, after riding a few of my friends' R15s and Ninjas, I have realized I don't see myself all crouched up with wrists at knee-level, tearing through the roads at mad speeds. I want something comfortable but not super comfortable too. The FZ25 has spoiled me a little with its perfect riding posture. Just a little bit of sporty attentive lean. Also, something that can go comfortably outside tarmac will be a welcome addition.

That brings me down to a similar shortlist as this thread:

1. KTM Adventure 390: I seem to have fallen in love with this bike. It's probably what I need, but that humongous price tag is, well, 'a small good used car territory'. I even went to a KTM showroom to sit on it to check if my feet can reach the floor. I was half expecting it won't, but it did, given I am 5'10''. Test ride wasn't available but the cockpit view was awesome, just like in all the countless ADV 390 videos i have watched on youtube. I am unsure about how that supposed lack of. low-end torque would feel like.

2. Bajaj Dominar 400 Touring Edition: So, clearly a compromise bike for me, since I like the ADV much more. But there is a huge price gap. Almost 1.3lakhs. That can buy you 1200+ litres of petrol. Or around 30k kilometers. Mind boggling maths. Also the Dominar can do almost everything that the ADV can. And arguably sounds better too.

3. RE Interceptor: I love how the Continental looks. Everyone does. But the Interceptor is more practical. And has the same parallel twin at a similar price point. The only reason. Other than that, I find nothing special about it. I personally find the analog dials too old school too. I would prefer them digital, with more info.

4. FZ25: My current bike. Its in the shortlist because, well, I have only done 5k kms on it. So, I should ride it more, right? Or this upgrade mentality is a right way forward?

5. Forget the upgrade, ride the FZ for a few more years and then get a multi-cylinder bike some years down the line: Like, maybe a Z650, or a Triumph, or a CBR650R.

Also, can something like an ADV 390 be daily driven in Bangalore with some decent mileage?

I just want to make sure of the bike I want to keep a target fixed and finances sorted. Might get it at the end of this year. All of your inputs in the decision making process will be super helpful. Thanks!
SiLxNcE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 07:45   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
Hi,
Okay, so why the upgrade itch? Well, the FZ is a little basic. Not much electronics. At the top end, it struggles.

Over these 5k kms, I have realized that I as much as I enjoy the low-end torque, I also need something that screams and is enjoyable at the top-end. A moderately fast highway cruise is what I want probably.

The FZ25 has spoiled me a little with its perfect riding posture. Just a little bit of sporty attentive lean. Also, something that can go comfortably outside tarmac will be a welcome addition.

That brings me down to a similar shortlist as this thread:
The thread is pretty old and the best addition to the shortlist will be VStrom SX 250.

It has a wonderful engine which is a tractor with amazing low end and a powerful, exhilarating top end built for highways. Exactly what you are looking for.

And it also has the best Rider's triangle much better than the FZ and the unique suspension setup which is softer in the beginning and progressively stiffness ensures it is good off the tarmac and bad roads, at same time avoids being bouncy on highways and nosedives on braking.

Do take a test ride and with the discounts being offered including exchange bonus of 7000 you should get a good deal for the VStrom.

Quote:
Also, can something like an ADV 390 be daily driven in Bangalore with some decent mileage?
In my experience, NO. Even the ADV250 heats up heavily in traffic and the suspension is stiff for city speeds (I have not tried the adjustment in 390, 250 is non adjustable).

VStrom SX excels here, I use it for my daily commute in Bangalore, no heating, great mileage with excellent comfort for both rider and pillion. At the same time, the highway performance is outstanding pulls cleanly even above 110 and can cruise at good triple digit speeds with juice left for overtaking. Perfect all rounder in my opinion.
tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 08:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The low-end torque is like a dream.

- Over these 5k kms, I have realized that I as much as I enjoy the low-end torque, I also need something that screams and is enjoyable at the top-end.

- Also, can something like an ADV 390 be daily driven in Bangalore with some decent mileage?
- Agree and very comfortable too, that is something you'll miss in a lot of bikes over 250cc. You haven't realized it but you're spoilt by the refinement and low end torque too.
In such case I would recommend a day's rental for the 390 Adventure to get to terms with you're dreaming about

- You'll a multi cylinder, something like a CBR650R.
In single cylinders it'll be difficult to get a strong low and top end. Bikes like the R15 have average low but strong top end and the FZ25 sacrifices the top end for better low and mid range which is more practical in everyday riding.
The high compression KTMs have a strong mid range and top end but below average low end. But maybe the newer versions have changed it a bit. Anyways the only time you'll feel it is in crawling traffic otherwise you won't even spend a couple of seconds in low rpms.

- I'll recommend to rent it out for a day and see for yourself as this is highly subjective. A friend rides is 1st gen 390Duke regularly in city traffic but I don't.

Inputs:

1. KTM Adventure 390: Rent it for a day

2. Bajaj Dominar 400 Touring Edition: it has better low and and heat management than the KTMs but us heavy and no point compromising.

3. RE Interceptor: Not the bike you want so skip it.

4. FZ25: I consider the FZ25 as an ideal city and highway cruiser and I would suggest to keep it even when you get your dream bike if it's feasible since its maintenance costs are basic.

5. Ride the FZ for a few more years and then get a multi-cylinder bike some years down the line: This is my recommendation but start your search and test rides now starting with the 390 Adventure.

The most important part is to keep upgrading as your wants change. How big of an upgrade and when is the question you have to answer.
Whether its the 390 now and then straight to a 1000cc later or straight to 600-700cc now then a 1000 or a lateral switch to an ADV are some of the many options available.

If getting the 390, wait for the 2023 iteration which has been launched overseas but let's see when it makes it here.

Also consider the ADVs when considering multi cylinders as they can be the only bikes around and handle all situations.
Here's a video I think you might like :
Credits to Providers :
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 14:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
The thread is pretty old and the best addition to the shortlist will be VStrom SX 250.

It has a wonderful engine which is a tractor with amazing low end and a powerful, exhilarating top end built for highways. Exactly what you are looking for.
Hi, thanks for the reply. So another guy got the VStrom SX a month before I got my FZ. And since then, we have been on a few rides together. And I have ridden the VStrom too for around 300kms if not more through cities and highways. Did a 60kms continuous highway ride too on it. In fact, the VStrom is also the first 250cc bike that I ever rode. The engine is awesome. Super tractable, refined and have pulled it all the way to 140kmph and it didn’t break a sweat.

However I don’t like a few things about it:
1. The looks - From the side, it looks good, but I don’t like how the front and the rear looks. They just look out of place. My FZ, in comparison, is a stunning piece of machinery. All the right handsome proportions, bulky, and it’s gloss black with the gloss black FZS25 visor. Will attach a photo for reference. Although, I do understand looks are subjective, but I want someone that I will look back at a couple of times, after parking it.

2. The foot pegs - They are right where you would put your foot to the ground. Couple that with the wide seat, and now I am constantly hitting my leg calf muscles on the peg. The ktm adv with its slightly rear set foot pegs and narrower seat felt more comfortable to flat foot instead of having a higher seat height.

Also, it will be a lateral upgrade. Not something that I am looking for. The initial torque and pickup feels almost same as my FZ maybe because the VStrom is more heavy but with a little more power. Sometimes the FZ feels faster on the 1st gear maybe because I can lean in on it. Hehe. I need more punch from my next bike, that’s for sure.

The VStrom is an awesome bike nonetheless , maybe just not for me.
Attached Thumbnails
What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?-baf0ac91e7e54a7c8d5d48a7b48974e1.png  

SiLxNcE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:09   #52
BHPian

Looks like I am pretty late to the party. The OP has got himself a new bike.

However, if he had not, I would have suggested for a used Inazuma. I have recently acquired one in late December and am enjoying the game of those two cylinders, equivalent to how Mark Waugh and Steve Waugh would shape an Australian inning - the opening, middle overs and slog overs. Whatever Inazuma are available in the market, are pretty decently maintained and reasonably priced. The only downside being availability of not-so-frequently-needed spares and the price of spares.

The bike provides excellent comfort and is a hardcore touring machine. Myself, having no prior experience of long-distance touring, simply did a 500+ km trip without a proper riding gear and was still fresh after the ride. The modest nature of the engine is a proper tutorial for touring beginners before moving up and the complex packaging helps to develop a systematic German approach to its timely maintenance.
Swapnil4585 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The most important part is to keep upgrading as your wants change. How big of an upgrade and when is the question you have to answer.
Whether its the 390 now and then straight to a 1000cc later or straight to 600-700cc now then a 1000 or a lateral switch to an ADV are some of the many options available.

If getting the 390, wait for the 2023 iteration which has been launched overseas but let's see when it makes it here.
Thanks for the reply. You seem to have read my mind perfectly. And you can probably understand the confusion too thats bothering me.

I too am planning to rent out a ADV 390 for a day to see if the "never meet your heroes" makes any sense (mainly because of the torque nature difference to what I am used to)

As of the multi cylinder part, yes, I am keen on that too. Maybe that wait will be worth it.

As of today, the ADV 390 seems very tempting. An awesome bike to travel on, huge road presence, inter-state touring, fun highway rides and maybe offroads if I can skill up to that.

Thanks!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th March 2023 at 15:51. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
SiLxNcE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:37   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply. So another guy got the VStrom SX a month before I got my FZ. And since then, we have been on a few rides together. And I have ridden the VStrom too for around 300kms if not more through cities and highways. Did a 60kms continuous highway ride too on it. In fact, the VStrom is also the first 250cc bike that I ever rode. The engine is awesome. Super tractable, refined and have pulled it all the way to 140kmph and it didn’t break a sweat.

However I don’t like a few things about it:
1. The looks -
2. The foot pegs -

Also, it will be a lateral upgrade.

The VStrom is an awesome bike nonetheless , maybe just not for me.
The footpegs are a non issue, you get used to the footpeg once you start riding it, I have switched 3 bikes, so I can attest to that.

But Looks are the main deciding factor, IMO VStrom 250 has nailed the signature ADV look. But it is subjective and I would never buy a bike which I don't like to look at. So cool.

I also considered FZ25 but I upgraded to VStrom as is an entirely different bike with its tall seat height and ground clearance and comfort.

And the power of FZ25 was similar to my BS4 Gixxer 150 in lower gears and it just had 5 gears, not much different from 150cc bikes in terms of ride experience. No wonder you are looking for an upgrade so soon.
tarmacnaut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. And you can probably understand the confusion too thats bothering me.
2. Maybe that wait will be worth it.
3. As of today, the ADV 390 seems very tempting.
1. The first long distance trip with straight highways (Bengaluru - Pune) I did on my RTR180 I realised that I need more power and liquid cooling, hence the understanding
If you were on the 390 already, with its power to weight ratio and mannerisms it gives you a taste of something higher up in the cc range. IMO it's a proper first step towards owning super bikes. In that situation, I would have asked you to get a proper liter class bike the Ninja 1000 and ride it in a lower power setting and once you're confident shift to the higher setting.
In your case from the tame and comfy power delivery of the FZ25, you need a step before reaching high performance bikes, IMHO.

2. The multi cylinder experience (at least 3 ideally 4) is worth it but be aware of the related maintenance costs but that's a question to ask when you're ready for that purchase.
For now let's focus on the question at hand

3. The 390 Adventure is a good purchase in your situation. Honestly if it is the only bike one has, one adapts and learns to manage that because the other parameters of that bike are spectacular.
I would suggest to rent it out and then take a call.
Living with this will also enable you to judge whether an ADV makes more sense to you or the street nakeds. And then decide whether your multi cylinder will be a sports tourer, street naked or and ADV.

Bottomline, I vote for the 2023 390 Adventure and take back my suggestion for keeping the FZ25. Sell off the FZ25 at your comfort so you get a good price, you've outgrown your motorcycle and its time to upgrade.

Last edited by shancz : 15th March 2023 at 19:21. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 08:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Just stumbled across an important thread, you should definitely check it out : FourWheelDrift : KTM Twin Cylinders (KTM Twin (2) cylinder motorcycles to be made in India)

Last edited by shancz : 16th March 2023 at 08:43. Reason: added member name
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 13:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Just stumbled across an important thread, you should definitely check it out : FourWheelDrift : KTM Twin Cylinders (KTM Twin (2) cylinder motorcycles to be made in India)
Wow! Thanks for the share. Now this looks exciting. A parallel twin KTM might just finally address the low end torque too! And given that they will be made in India, if the pricing is right, these will be the ideal big bikes for India. A 790 Adventure, Duke and RC. Let's hope they make them look beefier than the 390s. The existing 790 duke and 390 looks too similar. 🙃

If there are more such news leaks soon, I will wait it out.
SiLxNcE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 19:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Now this looks exciting. A parallel twin KTM might just finally address the low end torque too!
- if the pricing is right, these will be the ideal big bikes for India.
- And the "vibrations" which everyone keeps talking about which I really don't mind
- It will be right, like he said we can do much better pricing on a 650 offering than the 500
But this is a couple of years away realistically speaking.

Another good watch which should be valuable for you in the long run :
Credits to Provider :

Last edited by shancz : 16th March 2023 at 19:13. Reason: spaces
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 06:52   #59

Quote:
The KTM 390 doesn't like too much traffic mainly from heat standpoint, and considering Bangalore, would be an important point to keep in mind. For everything else, it's a total VFM and super fun bike

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th March 2023 at 12:03. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
btdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:53   #60
BHPian

5000 kms is definitely not worth the change and FZ25 is a perfect bike with very low maintenance costs, excellent fuel efficiency, good handling, comfort and is confidence inspiring!

You ride non-stop for 1000 kms and you will not be tired. The low end torque is very good

I am only disappointed with the headlamp and the sixth gear.

Have completed about 40k kms on the Fazer 250 and I do not want to go for the KTM Adventure or the Himalayan. Suzuki 250 is not an upgrade for me

I would recommend you to wait for the Hero Xpulse 400 or buy a used Versys. FZ 25 can still be your city bike
RenuKumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks