Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 10:39   #1
BHPian

What motorcycle, in the Rs 1 - 5 lakh price range?

Did the headline grab your attention? Did it make you wonder what sort of scatter-brained fellow would have such a wide range of needs, budget and consideration set? Well look no further- welcome to my idle musings on what my next motorcycle should be; musings so idle that my mind has well and truly become the devil's workshop.

Speaking of the devil, the epic poem Inferno by Dante Alighieri divides hell into 9 concentric circles, each home to those guilty of a particular sin. The first circle is where I do some of my best work, and it's aptly titled Limbo. I've been sitting on this blasted question of 'What bike?' for about 2 years now, without any real need or reason to buy one. Yet I can't seem to dispel it from my mind for one reason or another. After all, the souls in Limbo are not punished directly, but are condemned to "suffer harm through living in desire"; their punishment is to be left desirous of salvation.

Ok, enough of all that. Now let's talk about bikes.

I currently ride a Pulsar 220F, and have owned 2 Thunderbirds in the past. All of these bikes have been hand-me-downs of sorts, with the 2 T'birds passed on to me by dad. The Pulsar 220 I ended up owning because of a misunderstanding with my cousin- you see, my indecision extends back to 2017, when I borrowed his bike for a few weeks just to try it out and see if it works for me. During which time, said cousin in a typically impulsive move went and bought himself a Classic 350 from a friend. My dad misconstrued that as "Oh my son has basically stolen that other boy's bike, let me pay him for his troubles."- and ended up transferring twice the amount of what one would pay So I ended up stuck with that one unintentionally. Mind you, that bike is no slouch- I have loved riding it. I'm so hard-pressed to find a replacement with that exact combination of soft cushy suspension, decent mid and low end grunt, looks that aren't exactly 'to die for' but aren't half bad either, and that fill-it-shut-it-forget-it ownership experience.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What motorcycle, in the Rs 1 - 5 lakh price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
I'm so hard-pressed to find a replacement with that exact combination of soft cushy suspension, decent mid and low end grunt, looks that aren't exactly 'to die for' but aren't half bad either, and that fill-it-shut-it-forget-it ownership experience.
If you could mention the purpose for which the bike would be used (city only, highway only, mixed usage), people can give better suggestions. Based on the text quoted above, my recommendations are Apache 200 4v, Gixxer 250, Honda CB 350.

Meanwhile, here are some existing threads for you to go through:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...vs-others.html (Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...uld-i-buy.html (Looking for a faithful companion for the next 2 years | Which motorcycle should I buy?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-urge-age.html (What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-person-3.html (Which motorcycle for a short person?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ity-rides.html (Which commuter bike for city rides?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-vs-g310r.html (The Usual Bike Dilemma: Interceptor vs CB350 vs G310R)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...th-buying.html (Need a comfortable commuter with great ride quality | Is Unicorn still worth buying?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-commutes.html (What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th March 2022 at 10:57.
comfortablynumb is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

List down all the needs taken care by your P220 now.
List down all the needs that P220 isn't catering.
List down what more additional tasks that you expect your new motorcycle to be doing.

Last but not the least - If you have 1-5 Lakhs just earning a meagre interest in the bank, yes, good time to spend; if you need additional money, try to borrow interest free or loan less than 25% on the OTR price

PS - Above is NOT an advice, just sharing thoughts
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Fast forward to 5 years- I'm now a father, with healthier finances and an even healthier mid-section. I feel the need to buy a motorcycle because I've never actually owned a brand-spanking-new one rolled right off the showroom floor. Also, the lure of more refined engines, more power and that ABS safety net has got me convinced that I need a modern bike built to 2022 specifications. This bike will almost 100% be used within the city; my office is a solid 25 kms away from my home, and I'll be passing through the sand-storms of Arrakis (read Bangalore traffic) to get there. So here we go:

Category number 1: The naked/semi-faired quarter litre quartet: we have a pair of Yamahas- the FZ25 (along with its plastic-and-shiny-paint-embellished cousin the FZS25). Followed by the Suzuki Gixxer 250 (along with a similar plasticky cousin, the SF 250), the Pulsar 250 plasticked and de-plasticked twins, and as a slight outlier- the KTM Duke 250.
The Pulsar 250 should probably make an early exit here due to the lack of dual channel ABS, but is that really necessary? It has all the other ingredients in place- comfortable ergos & suspension, a punchy engine, the same fill-it-shut-it-forget-it maintenance needs- only the ABS is holding me back. Members who've tried this bike can perhaps help me here.
The FZ25 seemingly fills the gaps left behind by the Pulsar, albeit with a slightly stiffer and less-sophisticated suspension package. But something about that bike just screams afterthought to me. Not a big fan, but willing to reconsider.
Gixxer 250- this is one of the frontrunners- delicious engine and gearbox, decent tyres and brakes (relatively speaking of course)- the only thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is the stiff suspension for city use.
KTM Duke 250- I mean why, what's the point of this thing? Can anyone who owns a Duke 250 ever be truly happy? For a smidge more, you have the 310 brigade from TVS and BMW. For a bit more than that (if you're in it, you're in it) there's elder brother the Duke 390 which is better in absolutely every way.

Category number 2- and this is where we go slightly into the weeds- the neo-retro brigade. You know the ones I'm talking about- the bikes that look like the ones your dad rode. The Honda CB350s, the entire Royal Enfield catalogue, and the new upstarts from Classic Legends.
The CB350 has me a bit smitten, with its street bike underpinnings dressed in a retro garb. Light clutch pull, supple suspension, rorty little exhaust- it sounds like a hoot! Strong contender for sure, if I'm not constantly questioning the need for this retro segment to even exist.
The big daddies, the RE 350s- oh where do I begin? We've had a Royal Enfield parked in our front portico for almost 25 years till 2017. Would be nice to have one back (my father passed away last year, so might be a nice little tribute to him). But other than this sentimental reason, REs are not really my cup of tea- this is the reason I moved away from them 5 years ago. They're just too heavy and clunky for my liking. The 650s are a bit unnecessary for my usage I feel, but if even one of you has a compelling argument, I might add this to the list.
As for Classic Legends, I'd like to quote Paul Hollywood from the Great British Bake Off- "It just seems a little under-baked, the dough is still a bit wet."

Category number 3- ADVs from Hero, Royal Enfield, KTM, BMW. I'm honestly not convinced that I need an ADV, given that the most adventurous I'm ever going to get would be taking on a pothole at full chat. But somewhere a little voice seems to tell me that I'm getting old, and an ADV can help keep your organs in the same place as when you started your journey.
Hero Xpulse- thoda sa gareeb option, but hey I'm the one pinching pennies here. Comfortable, but that's all it's got going for it.
Himalayan/Scram 411- Ew, no.
G310GS- Oof, this one's a beaut. But hard to justify 3.5L for a basic city commute. Is it really worth the 1L+ increase from all the other contenders?
KTM Adventure series- again, no. Just too hard for the rough stuff to warrant the extra premium over their Duke siblings.

Category number 4- The performance-oriented Germanic rivals. Yes, I'm talking about the BMW G310R and the KTM Duke 390. How can one disregard these 2? They're perfect in almost every way. Only question is whether I can overcome my miserliness to pay for something that I don't necessarily need. Same goes for the Apache RR310- except service centres seem to deal with Jupiter levels of mechanical expertise for what is essentially a BMW underneath.

Category number 5- Ditch all of the above and just buy an Activa. Or a Hero Shine 125, because what is a motorcycle but a tool, and a man without the right need to use that tool probably doesn't need it in the first place.

So you can see- like the Hobbit, I've gone there and back again. I fall in love, and the head taps on my heart's windows to pull me back a bit by saying "Do you really need this?". I can never make peace with myself, and am doomed to live in Limbo forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you could mention the purpose for which the bike would be used (city only, highway only, mixed usage), people can give better suggestions. Based on the text quoted above, my recommendations are Apache 200 4v, Gixxer 250, Honda CB 350.

Meanwhile, here are some existing threads for you to go through:
Whoops, looks like you've commented before I finished my post. Sorry, I've outlined my needs and thoughts on individual bikes in this post. Thanks for the links!

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 30th March 2022 at 11:37. Reason: Editz
Sudarshan42 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I fall in love, and the head taps on my heart's windows to pull me back a bit by saying "Do you really need this?". I can never make peace with myself, and am doomed to live in Limbo forever.
Test ride, test ride, test ride. Comparisons online, opinions from others and Excel sheet comparisons can go on forever and are fun in their own way, but a bike that 'ticks all the boxes' on paper may not "do it" for you when you actually ride it and a bike that seems not-suitable theoretically might just end up being a whole lot of fun when you take it for a spin. More than most cars, bikes have a way of defying the specs. So have fun and take a lot of test rides of all the bikes you are considering.

And do pen down your impressions of them, head-to-head comparos are pretty rare. In particular, I'd be very interested in your FZ25 vs. Gixxer 250 impressions.

Last edited by am1m : 30th March 2022 at 11:30.
am1m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Test ride, test ride, test ride. Comparisons online, opinions from others and Excel sheet comparisons can go on forever and are fun in their own way, but a bike that 'ticks all the boxes' on paper may not "do it" for you when you actually ride it and a bike that seems not-suitable theoretically might just end up being a whole lot of fun when you take it for a spin. More than most cars, bikes have a way of defying the specs. So have fun and take a lot of test rides of all the bikes you are considering.

And do pen down your impressions of them, head-to-head comparos are pretty rare. In particular, I'd be very interested in your FZ25 vs. Gixxer 250 impressions.
Yessir, agreed! I've test ridden a few of the ones from above, but since you asked for the FZ25 vs Gixxer 250 in particular let me try and elaborate here:

The FZ25 was a surprise off the line- the gearing and sprocket combo along with the low-down torquey nature of the engine (think it peaks as early as 4k RPM) makes this a hoot till 60-70 kmph. The Gixxer 250 takes off in a more linear manner, but its mid and top end are more substantial than the FZ25. In terms of suspension stiffness and ride ergos, felt both are roughly the same. FZ makes you sit a bit more upright while the Gixxer has you lean in a bit more- YMMV on what you prefer personally. I could live with both. Suspension on both are set a bit stiff in its stock setting, you might need to stand up a bit over potholes and bumps if you plan on taking them at speed. The FZ25 instrument panel is like a Casio calculator readout, while the Gixxer 250 has been a tad more generous with its panel. Gixxer 250 also comes with a faired option, if those looks mattered to one.

The Gixxer I feel makes for a more future-proof purchase, since it has more power, refinement levels and better tyres (although the tyres can be replaced on any bike at any time). But yes like you said, test ride, test ride, test ride!
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:42   #7
BHPian

Pulsar 250 seems to be a great bike. The riding position is a bit forward set for comfort but easily manageable for the city. I personally wouldn't let the lack of dual channel ABS stop me from buying it. Dual channel ABS is a great thing to have. But it's overrated for such low capacity machines. In my eyes, it's all the better that Bajaj has cut costs with single channel ABS while providing practically more valuable stuff like the slipper clutch. I mean, if I'm commuting in the city, I'd much prefer my clutch to be effortless (which I'd be constantly using throughout the journey 5 days a week), than be covered for the possibility of the rear locking up once in a blue moon. Wish the other 250s and 300s provided the option for single channel ABS so that I don't have to pay for stuff I don't need. I'd anyway take the fuse out.

Don't get me wrong. ABS on the front wheel can be a very useful thing to have. But on the rear wheel, not so much. Front slides can possibly turn the handlebar and take control away from you in a second, they're dangerous. But rear slides are much easier to manage since the rear wheel's freedom of movement is more limited and the slides are more predictable.

I recently had a crash offroad thanks to the front locking up. It's not my first crash this way and it still scared the shit out of me because I was thrown off the bike before I knew what was going on. But the rear locking up is a ho-hum event and throughout all these years of riding, only once have I fallen due to a rear lockup, and that was because I was riding over rocks and couldn't find good footing to recover from the slide.

On the road, slides are a less common occurance. Unless you're one of those who uses the rear brake more than the front, chances of the rear locking up are low. Dual channel ABS only comes in very handy during the rainy season or if you're a particularly inexperienced or careless rider.

All said, I'm not trying to persuade you to think "single channel ABS good". Just giving information based on my personal experiences and observations.

Also, if you're dilly dallying on buying a bike of the same class as you 220, I'd say keep your 220 and just get a Yamaha Aerox instead. Seems like it makes more sense to have a scooter. I mean, it scratches your itch for something new, while also scratching your itch for decent performance, and all the while, also being easily usable by your other family members. You also get variety for your commutes. Does the morning feel spirited? Take the 220 out. Are you having a lazy morning? Take the scooter out. Etc.
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 18:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks drt_rdr, that's a refreshingly fresh perspective, and one of the reasons why I even came forward with this seemingly done-to-death question. You always learn something new from the experiences of others.

Love the upgraded P250 for everything else, will give it a TD and decide. The Aerox has certain ergo flaws that will prevent me from enjoying it fully. Will look at an EV scooter as a 2nd vehicle once the fires have been put out.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 23:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I ended up stuck with that one unintentionally. Mind you, that bike is no slouch- I have loved riding it. I'm so hard-pressed to find a replacement with that exact combination of soft cushy suspension, decent mid and low end grunt, looks that aren't exactly 'to die for' but aren't half bad either, and that fill-it-shut-it-forget-it ownership experience.
Having ridden the P200, the P220 and the NS all owned by friends and all more often than I would have liked, all I am really able to concur with or understand is the cushy suspension (even though I prefer standing up). In terms of mid and low end grunt an upgrade will definitely sort you out on that front.
Quote:
This bike will almost 100% be used within the city; my office is a solid 25 kms away from my home, and I'll be passing through the sand-storms of Arrakis (read Bangalore traffic) to get there.
Keeping this in mind please take longer rides (showroom test ride may not suffice perhaps borrow from friends) of any bike putting out more than 30horses to accurately gauge whether you can live with the bike at whatever high temps it reaches when idle in traffic. I own a BS3 RC390 which I love to bits but now in the summer I find myself using my friend's Dominar only because I'm less sweaty in the end.
Quote:
The Pulsar 250 should probably make an early exit here due to the lack of dual channel ABS, but is that really necessary? It has all the other ingredients in place- comfortable ergos & suspension, a punchy engine, the same fill-it-shut-it-forget-it maintenance needs- only the ABS is holding me back.
Buy it if you like it. ABS on the front wheel is all you need. Cheap ABS systems are notorious for kicking in too early and sapping feel from the lever. Arguably ABS serves its purpose well in terms of getting you out of sticky situations but you don't need or want a cheap ABS system at the rear.
Quote:
Can anyone who owns a Duke 250 ever be truly happy? For a smidge more, you have the 310 brigade from TVS and BMW. For a bit more than that (if you're in it, you're in it) there's elder brother the Duke 390 which is better in absolutely every way.
I concur with this but also similarly for a LOT less you can get yourself a first gen Duke 200. Trust me if you have someone who can help you find and sort out a proper BS3 Duke 200, there's nothing like it. Should cost 60-70k for the bike and another 10-20k for new tyres other tid bits and a proper service.
Quote:
Category number 2- and this is where we go slightly into the weeds- the neo-retro brigade.
As much as I have come to appreciate this category even though it isn't my style just as you stated RE's aren't your cup of tea, no matter how neo-retro we go, the sheer dynamics and ergonomics of these bikes are not favorable as such is what I feel.
Quote:
Category number 3- ADVs
Screw ADVs in the city we need Supermotos ASAP!
Quote:
Category number 5- Ditch all of the above and just buy an Activa. Or a Hero Shine 125, because what is a motorcycle but a tool, and a man without the right need to use that tool probably doesn't need it in the first place.
Trust me no Scooty or Commuter spec bike can replace a proper bike with a proper chassis and proper tyres and proper meaningful levels of power.
Quote:
The Aerox has certain ergo flaws that will prevent me from enjoying it fully. Will look at an EV scooter as a 2nd vehicle once the fires have been put out.
This is where I want to stress that your height or atleast your inseam is critical. If buying brand new, make sure the bike fits you well.

Why not try out a Benelli? What I like about their bikes is that they have extremely good suspension that can be adjusted to your liking, a special sounding noise about them, and most importantly a 5 year unlimited kms warranty. They are no longer the brand they once were. They are well backed and here to stay. Their bikes may not be the best on paper since right now they are playing more of a catch up game in terms of their offerings rather than trying to compete to be the best, but do try all their models out you might find something you like.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th March 2022 at 23:33.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 23:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Category number 4- The performance-oriented Germanic rivals. Yes, I'm talking about the BMW G310R and the KTM Duke 390. How can one disregard these 2? They're perfect in almost every way.
In this category, I would consider the Honda CB300R. At 286cc, under 3L it would sit right in the middle of your budget range. It would be a reliable little beast, upside down forks, LED lights, modern naked. It is flickable and light for city use, powerful enough for light touring. I have been a fan of the duke, but being a fan of Honda offerings I would certainly consider the CB300R.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 23:57   #11
BHPian

About the single channel ABS argument someone posted above, it doesn’t hold true to every person / skill set / scenario. Also, it depends on model to model, the calibration of said ABS sensor, the tyres used and the season of the year.

Don’t believe me? Go test ride every single channel bike out there and get into mock panic braking situations. You’ll see what I’m talking about. When a fool darts in front of you and you have to grab a fistful and foot-ful (?) of brake, the last thing you need is the rear of the bike and your confidence going sideways into the dirt / tarmac.

Or just go above and beyond, and get yourself a bike with Switchable / Supermoto ABS (390 Duke, anyone?). This way, you can reap the benefits of both. Even a used 390 Duke would do.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 01:33   #12
BHPian

Please add cb300R to your list. It may have short comings with respect to fuel tank size and the rear pegs at slightly highly positioned. But I was completely blown away with how it rides. You can potter around in traffic at high gears (light clutch and very smooth engine) and just fly off as the 0 to 100 is quicker off the block. The sound at higher revs is much of a addiction. Do test drive it.
Balaji31582 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 01:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

The TR has been stressed enough, I second that too.

Since you said that you wanted a new bike and the bike to feel new, your history was RE but you don't want to live with the RE characteristics :

- CB350 (H'ness/RS) : fulfils exactly those qualities, this is one bike which still draws my attention and feels special in T2 traffic, sounds great. Comfort, model to be checked over a TR.

- Dominar 400 : is great but might feel a bit stiff and handles heavy

Your ride is 25kms in Bangalore traffic, apart from comfort and reasonable FE please also consider engine heating as an important factor and take TRs in such conditions.
Bikes like the D390, Himalayan will lose some points on that.

Good Luck.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Re: What motorcycle, in the Rs 1 - 5 lakh price range?

Among your shortlisted ones, I would have suggested the FZ25, the low-end torque in this is insane. I have started in 3rd gear from a standstill and it can pull well till 80. However, the clutch is hard and can be tiring to ride in heavy traffic. I'm not sure how the Gixxer would fare in this department.

I would add couple more entries here, Yamaha MT-15 and Apache RTR200. For city rides, both are good enough. Both are decently kitted for the asking price. Both should return a mileage of around 40km/l, MT probably a little more. Both can be fun if you want to and have an empty stretch of road.

With the rising fuel prices and your requirement for a city ride, it is difficult to justify buying a motorcycle above 200cc. I would even suggest an electric scooter. I feel these are the logical choices in this case. Although you have the budget, it does not make sense to spend more. Instead, I would suggest saving the money and upgrade to a bigger one (a 500/650cc motorcycle) in a couple of years.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:21   #15
KPR
BANNED

Re: What motorcycle, in the Rs 1 - 5 lakh price range?

Quote:
Since you've brought up this category 5 which interests me, did you TD Raider from TVS? I'm also in same boat as you. With petrol costs ₹110 what I need is some peppy torque and mileage for city commutes. I think this is being taken care of in Raider. Let me know your view on it. I'm waiting for a TD as a dedicated vehicle not available yet near me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks