Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 02:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

I don't know what you youngsters would call this. I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!

Prelude: I am sold to the KTM 200! Just waiting for the bookings to open to book one.

Already firmed my visit to Auto Expo 2012 to check out more upcoming stuff!

My mind set on a few more options.

Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)

What would I use the bike for?

Mostly non-office commute (read - Weekend ride) and sometimes Office commute as well (during non-rainy season)

So folks - What are your suggestions?

PS: I have posted a similar thread on the exclusive biking forum as well just and posting here too as I don't want to miss outputs from my brothers who aren't out there but in here!
Old 9th December 2011, 02:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: What bike? And what do you call this?

I'm not much of a bike person, but I do like some bikes. I don't keep myself up-to-date with bike-related information, as much as cars. But I'd like to say that you're young at heart, going by the list of options you've made. If I were you, I'd put my money down on a Bullet Classic Desert Storm.

But. Since it doesn't feature in your list, I'd say, go for something that's reliable, comfortable to ride in cumbersome city-traffic, and something that isn't garish and in-your-face. At the end of the day, it's not just about buying it, it's about living with it. And you wouldn't want hassles. Nobody would.

Why don't you get yourself the CRB-250? Great bike, loaded with technology and at a pretty good price. What's more? It's a Honda so it's reliable. And it's quite nippy and fun to ride. Not to mention reasonably comfortable over longer commutes. And might i add, it looks wonderful!

The KTM is a great bike and holds a lot of promise. However, it may not be the most comfortable. It's not the sort of bike you'd want to live with. It's a stunters bike IMO, and you wouldn't want to be riding that.

Stay away from Hyosung. IMO, they aren't quite settled here, and umm, it's Korean! (no offense)

You could wait for the Honda VTR-250.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If I were you, I'd put my money down on a Bullet Classic Desert Storm.
Thank god I aint you! I am not the Bullet person. Won't be able to handle all that bulk! ;-)

Quote:
and something that isn't garish and in-your-face. At the end of the day, it's not just about buying it, it's about living with it. And you wouldn't want hassles. Nobody would.
I personally don't find it that garish and I am willing to live with it.

Quote:
Why don't you get yourself the CRB-250? Great bike, loaded with technology and at a pretty good price. What's more? It's a Honda so it's reliable. And it's quite nippy and fun to ride. Not to mention reasonably comfortable over longer commutes. And might i add, it looks wonderful!
Totally agree But I'd rather wait for the VTR.

Quote:
The KTM is a great bike and holds a lot of promise. However, it may not be the most comfortable. It's not the sort of bike you'd want to live with. It's a stunters bike IMO, and you wouldn't want to be riding that.
May be a stunters bike but I don't intend any stunts on it.

Quote:
Stay away from Hyosung. IMO, they aren't quite settled here, and umm, it's Korean! (no offense)
No offense taken - I don't like the way the exhaust is shaped. and the service stories that we have been hearing.

Quote:
You could wait for the Honda VTR-250.
The best thing to happen would be to know when it'd hit the market! Really love this bike.
Old 9th December 2011, 04:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike? what do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)
You don't like CBR 250R?

Quote:
Mostly non-office commute (read - Weekend ride) and sometimes Office commute as well (during non-rainy season)
Good, this is step 1; but next question comes...
Office - What speeds do you usually ride to office? Is it peak/non peak hours?

Weekend...
1. Do you ride solo or in a group?
2. Again, what speeds are you comfortable on empty stretches? Pls put a realistic fig here
3. During the weekend rides, where all do you intent to cover & how far are you willing to ride? And most importantly, how much time are you willing to spend on the weekend ride?

#3 is a very important question & there're so many things to talk & can't be spoken in a single post; anyway, to give you an idea, let's say you take NICE road once or may be twice, next time you like to do old Madras, the next time towards Hosur, next time NICE & Tumkur after that? Trust me, until you want to venture further than those roads, you'll not want to go over the same roads. Result? Bike parked in garage for long period.

Note - If you've the habit of waking up sometimes during crazy hours (insane early mornings) & ride, then you can skip #3. I can understand what that means

Finally touch up the reach-ability to ASC + service costs.

Quote:
PS: I...
You'll now get answers at both the places
Old 9th December 2011, 04:53   #5
BHPian

Looking at all your expectations, you should definitely wait for the KTM Duke 200, looks like an amazing bike from the initial impressions. I too am very keen on the KTM.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what you youngsters would call this. I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!
Old at 40 only, mate life starts at 40.

Whats the budget you have in mind, i am also looking for a good bike used or new (tentatively i have fixed a budget of ~6L) not sure if this is enough or i would need more. I am currently sold on the Busa only catch is its 12L hence will have to wait for sometime.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!
Don't worry young man, I have stepped in to my fifties and am eyeing the CBR 250 R and RE 500 Classic! My family members are shaking their heads in disapproval.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 12:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Same with me - I am also looking to buy an exciting bike for no logical reason.

I really liked the GT650N - but struggling to convince myself that one should spend so much on a bike (that's practically useless).

You will like to ride without any luggage on the weekends? You do not need to carry your office bag/laptop everyday? Then you have many options - KTM Duke 200, Hyosung GT650N...

My wishlist:
Power,
Comfort - for both me and the pilliion,
Round headlamp that turns with the handle - very rare these days :-)
Storage - I should be able to attach a saddlebag that does not look bad or out of shape

So looks like my dilemma will last for a while :-(

Will closely follow what you end up buying anyway...
Old 9th December 2011, 12:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
eyeing the CBR 250 R
Sir, want to try one for some good distance? I'll be always happy to welcome to share my ride to welcome you to the club Just let me know when you'll need.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Shubz,

I can understand your thoughts.

Here I am in the over the top age group, plotting ways to own third bike along with my RD 350 and Bonniville.

I would say you are in luck - time wise. Visit the auto expo and you should get a fair idea what is in the offing.

Whilst all the bikes you have listed are great in their own way, I would say that you have waited till now, why not another few months.

Its reliably learnt that Triumphs are set to hit the road in India in the 1st quarter of 2012.

I am very partial to Bonniville and feel that it would be the ideal for your requirements. Depending on the price and your budget the Thunderbird could be the one as well.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 9th December 2011, 13:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sir, want to try one for some good distance? I'll be always happy to welcome to share my ride to welcome you to the club Just let me know when you'll need.
Thanks aargee, I am waiting for the teething troubles to be over! I would definitely like to ride your's though. May be during the next track day?
Old 9th December 2011, 14:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Dont agree on this one. KTM's riding position is upright with raised handlebars which can make it a more comfortable tourer than CBR250r or baby ninja.
Old 9th December 2011, 15:07   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Considering your intended usage (that will include some office commuting) and that you have some 600s listed, I'd highly recommend the Ninja 650R - Link to our official review. Reasons:

- It's immensely practical. Comfortable riding stance, sufficient ground clearance, expected Japanese reliability et al. It's built really well and should score high on longevity.

- As a newbie bike rider (hadn't ridden a big bike in ages), it took me all of 120 seconds to feel at home on the 650R. Note : This was on an Indian highway with stretches that were infested by trucks. It's incredibly easy to ride, including in traffic. The low end torque is really good. Plus, the Ninja is quick enough on the open road to keep you happy.

- The pricing is spot-on

The only thing I didn't like about the 650R was the exhaust note.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 15:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Am not a bike person at all but would imagine what young people would call a 40 year old searching for one: "mid-life crisis"

Remember when I was in college BMW had launched a 650cc bike for 7 lac odd. Those were the days when convincing the old man to part with 25K for a CD100 was a challenge. I guess, Shubz, you need to get one of those (well, maybe not the same bike but one with a similar image?)

And don't worry, I am not that far from 40 either- in a couple of years you may find a thread asking about used Porsches available cheap

Last edited by noopster : 9th December 2011 at 15:16.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 15:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You don't like CBR 250R?
I love the CBR 250R but more inclined towards naked

Good, this is step 1; but next question comes...
Office - What speeds do you usually ride to office? Is it peak/non peak hours?
Speeds? or times? If times, I work weird hours - i start work by 6 pm and finish by 3 am!

Weekend...
1. Do you ride solo or in a group? Solo
2. Again, what speeds are you comfortable on empty stretches? Pls put a realistic fig here - Round about 100
3. During the weekend rides, where all do you intent to cover & how far are you willing to ride? And most importantly, how much time are you willing to spend on the weekend ride? I'd mount the bike beginning Sat and continue on to Sunday (not saddle sore types though) and as I said occassional ride to office which is 30+ kms from where I live.

#3 is a very important question & there're so many things to talk Bike parked in garage for long period. This does not happen as I use my current bike almost everyday. Just that its a CT100 and is used as a utility bike like going for a smoke/chai close to my house, visiting friend and i want to avoid using the car etc.

Note - If you've the habit of waking up sometimes during crazy hours (insane early mornings) & ride, then you can skip #3. I can understand what that means I work crazy hours. I wake up crazy hours. I do a lot of crazy stuff (in a good sense) lol

Finally touch up the reach-ability to ASC + service costs. Bajaj Probiking ASC is two lanes behind my house. Honda ASC is about 4 kms from my house.

You'll now get answers at both the places
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Old at 40 only, mate life starts at 40. haha, Thanks Mayank! I need friends like you!

Whats the budget you have in mind, i am also looking for a good bike used or new (tentatively i have fixed a budget of ~6L) not sure if this is enough or i would need more. I am currently sold on the Busa only catch is its 12L hence will have to wait for sometime.
Budget - 2-5 Lakhs - I will be killed at home if I went for 5L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Don't worry young man, I have stepped in to my fifties and am eyeing the CBR 250 R and RE 500 Classic! My family members are shaking their heads in disapproval.
I can very well related to what you are saying sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shubz,

I can understand your thoughts.

Here I am in the over the top age group, plotting ways to own third bike along with my RD 350 and Bonniville.

I would say you are in luck - time wise. Visit the auto expo and you should get a fair idea what is in the offing.

Whilst all the bikes you have listed are great in their own way, I would say that you have waited till now, why not another few months.

Its reliably learnt that Triumphs are set to hit the road in India in the 1st quarter of 2012.

I am very partial to Bonniville and feel that it would be the ideal for your requirements. Depending on the price and your budget the Thunderbird could be the one as well.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Not much of a Bullet person. No offense to Bullet owners/lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering your intended usage (that will include some office commuting) and that you have some 600s listed, I'd highly recommend the Ninja 650R - Link to our official review. Reasons:
GTO sir - Ninja is also on the list after the KTM Duke. Waiting for the 2012 Ninja to come out and then look at the prices. (I know they are on the higher side though)

And thank you all for the tremendous response!

And yes - I am booked to go to the Auto Expo - I intend to spend max time at the bike counters than cars. I hope two days are just enough for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks