Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 01:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
I have not ridden a bike in over 15 years since I had a slipped disc and my doc warned me off bikes. Now I am tempted to get a bike simply for the joy of riding that I have been pushing aside with various reasons including the back issues. Will test ride the bikes that I am considering and update the post. For now the budget is Max 2.5 lakhs so the options are within that.
Please ensure you get proper test rides and multiple rides at that over a considerable distance before you put your money down. The normal around the block test rides will not really reveal how you feel on the bike.

I would suggest the Hero Xpulse 4V, most reviews/reviewers are claiming it has a plush suspension.

All the best, fingers crossed for you to get back to riding again.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:07   #107
BHPian

TLDR -
I want to live my dream and get a big bike that will give me years of smiles and then hand it over to the next generation.

Can I realistically expect to do that or am I looking at more heartache than smiles given the exclusive nature of these bikes, potential issues around the longevity of these companies in India, increased level of tech in these bikes, concerns about availability of spares / consumables in the long term and the expertise to fix them

Read on for more details:

I'm 42 and thus posting my query here!

I've been toying with the idea of buying a big bike for a while.
I'd like to keep it for a long time 20 years / more (and hopefully pass it on to the next generation)

(I keep asking my Dad - where's my 1960's BSA/ Norton/RE and would like to tell the next generation when they ask me that the bikes will be ready for them when they are ready to take over the bikes :-p)

My question to all of you is - Can we expect to have a long ownership for the big bikes currently on sale in India.

I don't expect it to be hassle free, but something that is acceptable for the average joe with rather limited DIY abilities. By that I mean - access to spares, consumables, knowledgeable FNGs or company service centers for service/issue resolution

It is less about the money (money does matter), but more about the heartache - of seeing a dream come true only to transform overnight into a hopeless cause, one that is languishing in a corner or under a cover.

This is what I'm worried about
Posting from @Alka_Panwar's thread.
(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...n-fat-bob.html (Turbo-charging my Harley Davidson Fat Bob))

Quote:
"Owner was running pillar to post but just couldn't get this thing sorted out, everyone was milking him as he himself was not very technically inclined. Already paid for fork rebuild and they started leaking again almost immediately. Was told that since new fork fluid was put it, excess of it will come out for a few days and then it will stop leaking after a while.
People were suggesting ECU change for starting trouble, wiring loom change and what not. He spent nearly 70k in last one year and got only 800km of riding in the entire year."

I don't expect to be able to pull off even 1/10th of what @No_fear did for the 1199R

(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...n-project.html (How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project))

My usage will be limited. I don't plan to tour extensively (haven't done so in the past 18 years of owning a bike and don't see that changing), this is purely for the joy of riding in and around the city early in the morning on weekends or late evening after a long day at work to destress. Probably akin to @GTO's current use of his Classic.

Given my planned usage the only criteria that's been used to shortlist the bikes below is which one(s) would I want as a poster on my cupboard (or wallpaper on my mobile for those who are under 40!)

Will add things like how much they cook my thighs and lower power city mode once I get to the business end of the decision.

The bikes that I keep going back to even after ~5-7 years of browsing and window shopping
  1. I do have a soft spot for the Triumphs - T120, the Rocket are top of the list.
  2. Boxer engine - pretty please - BMW R18
  3. Literally and figuratively the dark horse in this list - Indian Chief Dark horse
  4. There is a part of me that does lust for a Ducati - V2/Supersport
  5. another part of me is keeping my fingers crossed that the Duke 1290 makes it to our shores

What adds the dilemma is that given the volumes that they do, there's no guarantee that either of these brands will still be in business in India - Fiat, Ford, Harley, Chevy etc etc... Then there are the stories with Ducati and other luxury brands.

With the increasing complexity - ECUs, electronics and what not, can we expect FNGs to step in and offer a viable alternative for company service centers in the long term?

If this was about buying a 20 year old Rx 100 or a 40 year old CI Bullet today, I'd have just gone ahead - these bikes will be alive and kicking (and probably have appreciated in value) 20 years from now given the ecosystem that has developed to support them.

So should I roll the dice and live my dream (all that you only live once thingy) or am I being naïve and signing up for heartache in the medium term.

What would you do in my shoes (or riding boots)?

Cheers!
M
Mar21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
TLDR -
I want to live my dream and get a big bike that will give me years of smiles and then hand it over to the next generation.
Me thinks the answer to your question could be the Honda CB650R.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th February 2022 at 22:40. Reason: please quote only relevant portion.
KayEss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:50   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My usage will be limited. I don't plan to tour extensively (haven't done so in the past 18 years of owning a bike and don't see that changing), this is purely for the joy of riding in and around the city early in the morning on weekends or late evening after a long day at work to destress. Probably akin to @GTO's current use of his Classic.

Given my planned usage the only criteria that's been used to shortlist the bikes below is which one(s) would I want as a poster on my cupboard (or wallpaper on my mobile for those who are under 40!)

Will add things like how much they cook my thighs and lower power city mode once I get to the business end of the decision.
Mar21, I think it is best to blend pragmatism with your dreams or risk not realizing them at all. Pick something from a mainstream company and only if you get good service support in your city. I cant make out if you are in Bombay, Bangalore or both. Honda has the most consistent big bike experience pan India. Triumph Bombay is good but Bangalore is terrible.

Since you mentioned riding in the city and wanting a special bike, I think the Honda CB650R makes a very strong case for itself. It looks gorgeous, is light and flickable, the friendly clutch is welcome in the city, offers the intoxicating inline four soundtrack and will give you a peace of mind ownership for years to come.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 23:09   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post
Me thinks the answer to your question could be the Honda CB650R.
thanks,

Assuming that this is your way of saying that all the options I've listed out are a No Go :-)

Yes, I would bet on the Japanese to stay the course and the bikes to last as well. If only, the heart was enamored by them. Did drool over the old Vmax in the early 2000s!

I was told that KTM still has some stock of the 790 - haven't verified this. (or the 890 if/when it launches)

The KTM is probably a better tradeoff between the heart and the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Mar21, I think it is best to blend pragmatism with your dreams or risk not realizing them at all.
I hear you Neil.

Had this been a 4 wheeler purchase, its something that would be far more easier for me to action - and thus the dilemma and the significant amount of rumination that has gone into this before posting here.

I split my time across the two cities (though that's a topic for another day).
Will buy the bike in Bombay.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2022 at 17:10. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 23:30   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had this been a 4 wheeler purchase, its something that would be far more easier for me to action - and thus the dilemma and the significant amount of rumination that has gone into this before posting here.
The thing with big bikes is that it all comes down to the connect that you feel with the motorcycle, the riding experience, the brand and what not. Some love twin cylidered bikes, others love triples and most here love the inline 4s. So logic usually takes a toss when it comes down to an actual purchase decision for a big bike.

That said, the Honda CB650R is still the logical choice that I would recommend for your usage.

My advice to everyone in your position is to test ride everything in your budget and buy whatever makes you happy.

Quote:
Assuming that this is your way of saying that all the options I've listed out are a No Go :-)
The T120 is probably your best bet from the bikes you listed. I would immediately discard the Indian and R18.

Quote:
I was told that KTM still has some stock of the 790 - haven't verified this. (or the 890 if/when it launches)

The KTM Duke 790 was not engineered to be Euro 5 / BS6 compliant. So if Bajaj KTM has some leftover bikes (unlikely since they brought in only 100 units) you cant get it registered at any RTO in India. Given how much Bajaj struggled to sell the last few units of the 790 and the challenges that they had with training the technicians etc, the 890 is very unlikely to arrive.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 23:39   #112
BHPian

Quote:
thanks,

Yes, I would bet on the Japanese to stay the course and the bikes to last as well. If only, the heart was enamored by them. Did drool over the old Vmax in the early 2000s!

In hindsight, I would have liked to elaborate more, but Neil beat to me it, more succinctly than I could have probably.

I suggested Honda for the aural pleasure, City use case and especially because you mentioned that, once acquired, you would like to keep the moto to be passed on to the next generation. That does calls out for a Honda

P. S: come to think of it, why not check out the z900 rs?

Last edited by KayEss : 13th February 2022 at 23:57.
KayEss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 10:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post
That does calls out for a Honda

P. S: come to think of it, why not check out the z900 rs?
Thanks KayEss, Thanks Neil

Yes, the Z900 is in play too - A close friend has it in Hyd. lots of good things to say about it.

I will test ride the Honda, the Kwaker, the T120 and perhaps a couple of those on the initial shortlist

I suspect after my experience of owning/riding the RE 500s and the street 750 - any of these will feel significantly more advanced.

Cheers
M
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 13:00   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will test ride the Honda, the Kwaker, the T120 and perhaps a couple of those on the initial shortlist.
Since you are going to be test riding the Triumph T120, I would suggest trying out the Street Triple as well for getting the R or RS depending what you would like to spend. The Street Triple will be ~20 kilograms lighter than the Z900 too.

Since you mentioned in the thread that the bike would be bought in Bombay, you will be killing two birds with one stone since the Kawasaki and Triumph dealerships are next to each other at Hubtown building in Goregaon.

Happy shopping.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:03   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KayEss, Thanks Neil

Yes, the Z900 is in play too - A close friend has it in Hyd. lots of good things to say about it.

I will test ride the Honda, the Kwaker, the T120 and perhaps a couple of those on the initial shortlist

I suspect after my experience of owning/riding the RE 500s and the street 750 - any of these will feel significantly more advanced.

Cheers
M
When at Triumph please see if you can do a TD of Trident as well. I found it a convenient bike actually

At Honda CB500x as well please - with slight reduction currently on offer - that's a good one to look at as well.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 23rd February 2022 at 16:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks