Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 14:27   #31
BHPian

hey go to Madhus on Langford rd i think they have stock of M45,i remember this info as my friend was enquiring for one last week and he found it in Madhus.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:10   #32
BHPian

Hi guys, I own a Unicorn 2nd Gen, done 22k in odo. I would like to replace my sokes to alloy wheels. When I was in chennai, enquired honda service guys and they told the new unicorn's alloy fits the old ones and they can do it at a cost of 8k. Now I am in delhi and would like to go for this change. I believe if I change the spokes to alloy, I would be required to change the rear tyres too. Is it advisable for me to change to alloy?
Old 5th October 2009, 09:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

thanks @msvg I will check it out...
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:18   #34
BHPian

anybody for my above query?
Old 11th November 2009, 16:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
anybody for my above query?

When i spoke about this to one of my close mechanic whos also my cousins school mate said that any day spoked wheels are best when compared to alloys ,but due to lack of skilled spoke tuners/setting now if u can afford u can go for alloys but plz remember if theirs a bend in alloy or a crack then u need to change the complete set whereas in spoke wheel this can be rectified by removing the bend or tightning the spoke.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:29   #36
BHPian

Re: Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?

Bumping on an old thread. My Honda Unicorn has crossed 40000kms in 4 years now. It is still running on the stock MRF Zapper tyres which comes with the 18" alloy wheel. Of late I have been noticing that sudden braking even when driving at 30~40kms/hr is not confidence inspiring and I feel there is a tendancy for the bike to skid.

I did roll down once a couple of weeks ago near Koramangala signal when the signal turned red and I just had to brake sharply from 30kms/hr. There was no sand in the road also. But I just skidded off when I braked suddenly.

I saw the thread in the tires and they look ok and much better than what I have seen in some bikes. Not sure if I should go ahead and change the tires after 40000 kms. Did anybody face similar issue in UNICORN?
Old 17th April 2012, 16:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^^Which Zappers does your bike have? The Zappr Y is perhaps the worst (wrt grip) bike tyre that has been made. Zapper C is better and Zapper Q is amongst the better ones, but only for tarmac. Else see if you can get softer rubber from Ceat or Dunlop. Michelin would be best, but pricy. Don't know if these brands make rubber of the stock size, but its more than likely they do.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 16:58   #38
BHPian

I have the 2nd gen unicorn and wish to change the rear tyre. The threads are nearing its invisibility. Which tyre should I go for now and what is the profile?
Old 17th April 2012, 17:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Which Zappers does your bike have? The Zappr Y is perhaps the worst (wrt grip) bike tyre that has been made. Zapper C is better and Zapper Q is amongst the better ones, but only for tarmac. Else see if you can get softer rubber from Ceat or Dunlop. Michelin would be best, but pricy. Don't know if these brands make rubber of the stock size, but its more than likely they do.
Raccoon, Just went to basement to check the stock tyres. It is ZAPPER-Y. I never knew there are so many models in Zapper tyres itself. Thank you so much for educating.

I guess I will go ahead and change the tyres soon. I am not bothered about the budget if it gives me a Safe ride. So will definitely look at the Michelins. Among the Michelins, does anybody have recommendation for any specific tyre for Unicorn?

Last edited by gopikb : 17th April 2012 at 17:24.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, as far as I know there are 3 Zapper variants. The Y is a huge hazard. Its on my CBZ-X too, and I hate it to the core. Shame on HH and Honda for using such a risky tyre. Even the Pulsars I'v seen at least come with the Zapper C. The Zapper Q is amongst the best (and commensurately pricier), but as I mentioned, based on both its design and user comments, its good only on tarmac. But usually thats how things are.... you don't really get a all in one tyre.

If $ is not an issue, and if size is available, have no 2nd thoughts about Michelin.

However, I hope you know that softer compounds will have lower life. Thats why Dunlop and Ceats will generally last less than a hard MRF. Not sure how applicable that is when it comes to Michelin, as the compound plays a big role in tyre life besides the hardness.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 18:12   #41
BHPian

Raccoon, Thanks once again for the suggestions. I will change the tires tomorrow and update on the michelin tires that I put in.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^^One important concern about changing tyres. Does your bike have alloys or spokes? My CBZ-x wheels are factory "balanced". I'v often thought about changing the wretched rear tyre, but none of the tyre shops I'v asked here will balancing for a 2 wheeler wheel. I'm concerned that this may cause wobbling after tyre change.... and that has kinda put me off the job. This would be relevant to you if you have alloys.

Another important suggestion - consider using Honda's Tuff Up Tube. AFAIK its available only at Honda or HH service centers. You may have to nag them or escalate to the company to get it, but it may be worth it. And yes, it will cost more than an ordinary tube.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:23   #43
Team-BHP Support

I replaced both tyres on my Unicorn last week in Pune. Bike has done 45k kms and this is the 3rd rear tyre change. The first was stock MRF Zapper 3.00 x 18. Replaced it with 3.25 x 18 Michelin M45 @25k kms. The front was doing well until I noticed cracks on it.
The new tyres are:
Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90-18 (Approx Rs. 2100/-)
Front: Michelin Sirac 2.75 x 18 (Approx Rs. 1650/-)

The upgrade was worth it.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 18:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I replaced both tyres on my Unicorn last week in Pune. Bike has done 45k kms and this is the 3rd rear tyre change. The first was stock MRF Zapper 3.00 x 18. Replaced it with 3.25 x 18 Michelin M45 @25k kms. The front was doing well until I noticed cracks on it.
The new tyres are:
Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90-18 (Approx Rs. 2100/-)
Front: Michelin Sirac 2.75 x 18 (Approx Rs. 1650/-)

The upgrade was worth it.
Thank you Moralfibre. I saw Michelin website has only the Sirac tires listed for rim size 18".

Raccoon, Mine is alloy wheel
Old 18th April 2012, 13:35   #45
BHPian

Dear All, Thanks for your inputs which helped to take a decision on the tyre change for Unicorn. Went today morning to TYRE PROFESSIONALS, Basavangudi and changed the tires to the below

Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90-18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 2200/-)
Front: Michelin M45 2.75 x 18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 1400/-)

They did not have Michelin sirac for the front in stock and were offering me MRFs. I said I dont need MRF and then they pointed out to the Michelin M45 from old stock which was the last piece they had. It is a Dec 2009 manufactured tyre. But the tyre was in good condition. Hence I just took a chance.

As usual they did a neat job. After the change, here are my observations based on a drive of 12 kms to office

1. The edgy skidding feel whenever brake was applied is gone now.
2. A couple of hard braking from 30km per hour speed did not show any signs of tyre moving sideways and came to a halt in perfect straight line.
3. The ride felt smoother on the way to office.

I will post more updates as I drive more
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks