Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 16:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?

^^^If you ask me you should definitely not have gone in for a tyre manuf. in 2009! However it may look externally, rubber deteriorates and hardens with time. 3 years is too much! Or at least it should have been discounted appreciably.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^If you ask me you should definitely not have gone in for a tyre manuf. in 2009! However it may look externally, rubber deteriorates and hardens with time. 3 years is too much! Or at least it should have been discounted appreciably.
Raccoon. You are right. I did have a dilemma. With Dec 2009 date, it is about 2 years and 5 months since manufacturing date now. Then I was just too lazy to go and hunt for Sirac with the same size. The front tyre alone costed Rs.1150 compared to Rs.1600 for Sirac. So I just went ahead.
Old 18th April 2012, 20:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

^^^You should have asked for a discount for the old one. Anyway, now that its done, just keep it in mind that the tyre is old and traction and even flexibility may not be so good, esp as it ages further.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:34   #49
BHPian

@gopi
is yours a spoke or alloy? I am also looking for a change in rears. My unicorn has clocked 36k km and still running on the stocks
Old 18th April 2012, 23:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
@gopi
is yours a spoke or alloy? I am also looking for a change in rears. My unicorn has clocked 36k km and still running on the stocks
dre@ms, Mine is alloy wheel.

Raccoon. Thanks for warning me on the traction. I will keep a watch on how it goes. If something is amiss, I will change it in a couple of years

Last edited by gopikb : 18th April 2012 at 23:36.
Old 30th June 2012, 22:55   #51
BHPian

A tyre dealer in Fraser town has quoted the following for 2011 manufactured tyres:
Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90-18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 2200/-)
Front: Michelin Sirac 2.75 x 18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 1900/-)

Am keen on getting '12 manufactured ones, Pl let me know if there are any Michelin dealers nearby?
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:32   #52
BHPian

Sai Iyengar Tyres in Indiranagar used to maintain a healthy stock of michelins earlier. Do check with them too. I have bought couple of tyres from them. By the way, I am running a Michelin M45 4.00-18 at rear (2yrs, 22,000 km) and Sirac Street 2.75-18 (2 months, 2000km). This guy varies rate according to demand, but negotiation works. Good luck with your search.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:20   #53
BHPian

Guys need your help !

My 2007 Unicorn needs new shoes. I have done 42300 Kms as of today with the stock tyre which is Zapper Y in the rear and Zapper FS in the front.

The rear one badly needs a replacement as it has reached to it's end of life, there is a minor crack which is not deep enough to hit the tube but is pretty much responsible for frequent punctures. The tuffup tube has been replaced 2 months ago with a normal.

Below are the two tyres I have shortlisted :

Zapper Q : Looks modern but I have doubts over the grip as it feels flat on the road.

Zapper C : Sibling of zapper Y but the tread is extended and reaches out through the center, I am keen to go for this one as it looks more practical.

Not short-listed:

Zapper Y : As I have been using it for the last five years i should say the grip is ok on tarmac but the villain comes out in slush, wet and dusty roads. You will have no control on fish tailing and its a scary scene trying to control the bike. Thanks to this tyre I have now mastered my driving skills on these roads. Hence, no more zapper Y for me

Mrf Meteor : My friend's pulsar has it, didn't like it. Don't know why.

I am looking for a tyre which can give me excellent grip on tarmac, if not very good at least reasonable grip on wet and slush surfaces. Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Cheers
Old 11th July 2012, 15:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Guys need your help !

My 2007 Unicorn needs new shoes.
Cheers
Abarth, you should defnitely consider Michelin Sirac for Unicorn. I was in the same situation as yours a couple of months ago and I changed both front and back tires to the below

Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90-18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 2200/-)
Front: Michelin M45 2.75 x 18 (Cost of tyre + tube = 1400/-)

Note that michelin M45 is no more in production now and I had got a tyre from old stock and changed it in a hurry. You can go for Michelin Sirac in front also.

Experience so far:

The stock ZAPPER Y that came with the Unicorn felt pretty good for the first 20K kms. Beyond that I had a couple of slides on the road in wet and sandy tarmac. But once the km clocked 32~33K, I felt very wobbly in riding. A slight press of the brake in good tarmac also feels like I am losing control. Initially I thought there is something else that is wrong with the bike. Later realized it just has to do with the tyre.

After I changed to Michelin, there is a remarkable improvemnt in grip and handling of the bike. I have driven close to 3000kms after the tyre change Michelin has left me very impressed. There were a couple of panic breaking situations in Sandy tarmac also and the tyre never let me down. The fish tailing which is dreadful does not happen.

Not sure how long this condition will hold up in Michelin. But road grip is really awesome for the new tyres.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 15:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need your help !

=======
Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Cheers
My recommendation -

M45 2.75 * 18 (Very very difficult to source as Production has been stopped) or Michelin Sirac Street for the front tyre
Sirac Street 100/90 * 18 for the rear.

I'm currently using M45 and Sirac street on my cbz and it's far better than the stock Zapper Y and FS. Check with Ashoka wheels near KFC in Secunderabad . He stocks tyres of various brands. Priced higher than other vendors though.
kaka46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 17:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

Initially I thought there is something else that is wrong with the bike. Later realized it just has to do with the tyre.

Not sure how long this condition will hold up in Michelin. But road grip is really awesome for the new tyres.
Absolutely true ! I am facing the same wobbling problem currently. Hopefully the tyre change should wipe this problem. Michelin Sirac it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
My recommendation -

I'm currently using M45 and Sirac street on my cbz and it's far better than the stock Zapper Y and FS. Check with Ashoka wheels near KFC in Secunderabad . He stocks tyres of various brands. Priced higher than other vendors though.
I think I have made up my mind for Sirac Street for rear tyre. Will change the front one after few more months as I don't see any problem with it.

Can you guys also tell me if I can fit the tyre with MRF Tuff up tube, the stock ones with the tyre were very helpful.

I also want to get the replacement done from a professional rather than the roadside mechanics who only mess up things. Do you have anybody in mind ?

Cheers !
Old 11th July 2012, 17:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true ! I am facing the same wobbling problem currently. Hopefully the tyre change should wipe this problem. Michelin Sirac it is

I think I have made up my mind for Sirac Street for rear tyre. Will change the front one after few more months as I don't see any problem with it.

Can you guys also tell me if I can fit the tyre with MRF Tuff up tube, the stock ones with the tyre were very helpful.

I also want to get the replacement done from a professional rather than the roadside mechanics who only mess up things. Do you have anybody in mind ?

Cheers !
MRF does not have tuff up tubes. I checked with several MRF dealers last year in Hyderabad. You will need to get the tube from Honda service center. Changing both the tyres at once is recommended. You will get several mechanics who have the machine to remove the tube,tyre and fix them again on the rim . The puncture shop in front of jubilee hills check post petrol bunk has this machine.
kaka46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 17:41   #58
BHPian

I have recently changed (around 1 month)the stock front type to Michelin sirac M45 2.75 x 18 but for around 1600 (typre+tube).
didnt bargain and so you must get it a lot cheaper as it was from oct 11 stock.

Surprisingly, the michelin's were easily available in pune (nana peth).

I am really enjoying the ride now
chetans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 18:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Changing both the tyres at once is recommended.
My front Tyre looks fine, I mean the tread isn't worn out yet and haven't had a single puncture till date. Do you still want me to replace it ?

Which means the total budget might go up to 4 k approx.

I am also thinking to get the tyre replacement done at buyer itself. Have come across some newly set up Michelin showrooms in twin cities, will check the pricing compared to Ashoka Wheels and take the call.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
My front Tyre looks fine, I mean the tread isn't worn out yet and haven't had a single puncture till date. Do you still want me to replace it ?

Which means the total budget might go up to 4 k approx.

I am also thinking to get the tyre replacement done at buyer itself. Have come across some newly set up Michelin showrooms in twin cities, will check the pricing compared to Ashoka Wheels and take the call.
If the tyre is more than 4 year's old and if you haven't used it extensively, I'd recommend you to change it. Not necessary though but rubber gets harder as it ages and braking might become an issue. Most of the Michellin dealer's don't usually stock M45 or Sirac Street. They'll try to hard sell Pilot Sporty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks