Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 22:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look

Over the past few years, the BMW-TVS partnership which resulted in the latter manufacturing different motorcycles on the shared 312.2 cc platform, has proven to be a fairly successful one for both the German and Indian motorcycle companies. Today, BMW has a faired, naked and adventure version for sale in global markets. Initially, TVS had the faired version and in late 2023, finally got the exciting naked Apache variant that motorcycle enthusiasts have been clamouring for.

But first, a bit of a history lesson. In 2017, TVS launched the fully faired Apache RR 310 at Rs 2.05 L (ex-showroom). A year later, BMW launched the naked G310R and the adventure G310GS at Rs 2.99 L and Rs 3.49 L (ex-showroom) respectively. While the Apache RR 310 did well for itself in the face of stiff competition from the more expensive but powerful KTM RC 390, the BMW offerings had a tough time getting off showroom floors, on account of their steep pricing. In 2020, BMW did the smart thing and dropped the ex-showroom prices to Rs 2.45 L and Rs 2.85 L for the R and GS models. In 2021, to freshen up their sporty Apache RR 310, TVS launched the Build To Order (BTO) program which essentially allowed you to spec up your motorcycle with a Dynamic kit and / or a Race kit and / or a special race livery kit. You can read more about the TVS Apache RR 310 BTO here (TVS Apache RR 310 Build To Order (BTO) : A Closer Look).

In 2022, BMW launched the faired G310RR which was almost the exact same motorcycle as the Apache RR 310. The question on everyone’s mind was when would TVS return the favour and launch the naked version of the 310? Would it simply be a re-badged G310R or would TVS go all out to make it a genuine successor of the Apache family? We had to wait till late 2023 for the TVS Apache RTR 310 to finally be launched (starting at Rs 2.42 L ex-showroom). Now, its time to get some of these questions answered.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-b.jpg

Earlier this month, I managed to get my hands on the keys to the TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO and rode it for a few hundred kilometers. As I mentioned in my Closer Look of the Triumph Tiger 900 GT (Triumph Tiger 900 GT - A Closer Look), please keep in mind that I'm no reviewer, journalist or even an expert. I'm just a motorcycle enthusiast like all of you, here sharing my riding impressions and general opinions on the bike along with a lot of pictures.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 20:59.
neil.jericho is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 22:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO – What Is It

If you look at the website of the TVS Apache RTR 310, you will see that TVS has thrown everything at this motorcycle, except the kitchen sink. Many enthusiasts will incorrectly assume that the RTR 310 is simply a butch version of the RR 310 with no mechanical updates. However, TVS has shortened the gearing and made a bunch of other changes to suit the Freestyler image that their marketing team has latched on to.

Basically, the RTR 310 is the Apache to own if you want to commute to office every day and will do the occasional weekend morning ride with your friends. It also is an excellent choice for experienced riders who want an exciting motorcycle with top of the line components, which can be a royal hoot on any given day. The RTR 310 gets the 312cc liquid-cooled, single-cylinder engine that puts out 35.6 PS @ 9700 rpm and 28.7 Nm @ 6650 rpm in the Sport, Track and SuperMoto modes. In the Urban and Rain modes, the figures are 27.1 PS @ 7500 rpm and 27.3 Nm @ 6600 rpm. As for the rest of the specs, here is what the TVS website highlights
- Bi-LED headlight
- Whole suite of electronics
- 6 speed gearbox with optional bi-directional quickshifter
- Cruise control
- Glide Through Technology (GTT)
- Supermoto mode
- Road 5 tires
- Adjustable levers
- 5 inch TFT screen
- 5 different ride modes – Sport, Track, SuperMoto, Urban and Rain

With the BTO versions, you also get choice of the Dynamic Kit, the Dynamic Pro Kit and the Color Kit.

Here is what you get in the Dynamic Kit
1. Fully adjustable front and rear suspension
2. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
3. Brass chain

The Dynamic Pro Kit gets a full suite of electronics including Dynamic stability control, Cornering ABS, Cornering traction control, Wheelie control, Slope dependent control, rear wheel lift off protection (anti stoppie control) and cornering cruise control. You also get the climate control seat.

The Color Kit is the Sepang Blue variant which incorporates their racing livery.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-c.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-d.jpg

Here is a quick snapshot of the TVS Apache RTR 310

+ Easily the best looking motorcycle in its segment
+ Engine is a ton of fun in the city and does not disappoint on the highways
+ Fit and finish is top notch and matches that of premium imported motorbikes
+ TFT dash is crisp and easy to read even in bright sunlight
+ Zero heating issues
+ Bright bi-led headlight is very impressive

Dislikes
- The initial braking feel could be better
- Understanding the headlight settings isnt easy
- The left and right indicator isn’t easy to operate
- Far too many variants and options on offer

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 21:02.
neil.jericho is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 22:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Initial Impressions - 5 top thoughts after first 30 minutes with the TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO

- This rider’s triangle and ergonomics are perfect for my height. I mentioned this in the Closer Look of the Apache RR 310 – I now seriously believe that there is a team of TVS test riders who share my exact same height and build. How else could the bike feel like it has been perfectly designed and built around a rider like me?
- The fueling, gearing and power delivery are absolutely spot on. Within 5 seconds of riding the motorcycle, I felt as though I was one with it. It took me less than 300 meters of riding to confidently take a 90 degree turn at full lean and with the throttle wide open.
- The extremely light kerb weight of 169 kg, the confidence inspiring handling and the strong low and mid range allows you to cut through traffic almost telepathically. Overtaking in the city is so much fun that you will enjoy your daily commute like you never have before. I found myself squeezing through the tightest of gaps in stationary traffic, which is something that I would never be able to do on my Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, for example.
- While the power and torque figures of the TVS Apache RTR 310 are lower than that of say the explosive KTM Duke 390, in the real world, the Apache RTR 310 brings so much usable performance to the table that you will forget all about your Excel sheet comparisons and endless hours of YouTube drag videos, once you get aboard the motorcycle. Not only is it perfectly tuned for the urban jungle, you also greatly benefit from not having to deal with excess unusable power, lack of low-end torque and heating issues, all of which have traditionally been the weakest links of the Duke 390.
- Not only is this a perfect upgrade for TVS Apache RTR 150, 160, 180 and 200 owners, but it is also a very pragmatic and fun filled choice for experienced and / or former superbike riders who want to downsize for a variety of reasons.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-e.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-f.jpg

Last edited by neil.jericho : 26th January 2024 at 21:00.
neil.jericho is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 22:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 – A Deep Dive (Part 1)

Now for a closer look at the TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-1-large.jpg
This is a very handsome motorcycle!

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-2-large.jpg
A closer look at the front end. You might notice some Italian inspiration here.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-3-large.jpg
Arguably the best angle to view the bike.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-4.jpg
Forget the Italians! This screams Yamaha MT09's little brother is here, all day long.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-5-large.jpg
The best OEM headlight this side of Rs 5 L?

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-6.jpg
Those gold forks add so much substance to the styling.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-7.jpg
Tasty!

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-8-large.jpg
High quality indicators are bright.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-9.jpg
Twin horn setup is really loud.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-10-large.jpg
Not a big fan of this chin out setup.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-11-large.jpg
300 mm petal disc should help in better heat dissipation.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-12.jpg
ByBre unit does braking duties.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-13.jpg
Everything is neat and tidy.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-14.jpg
The adjustable clutch lever.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-15.jpg
The really busy switchgear on the left side. Quality is good but the indicators are hard to operate. Also, cruise control!

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-16.jpg
The BTO kit gets you adjustable suspension. Preload adjustment and rebound adjustment on the left leg.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-17.jpg
Wide mirrors are extremely functional.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-18.jpg
The key slot.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-19.jpg
This TFT display is bright and readable during the day...

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-20.jpg
... and the night, as well.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-21.jpg
The oil check is on the left side.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-22-large.jpg
Most riders will not face any issues with the positioning of the gear lever.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-23.jpg
The simple pillion footpeg.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-24-large.jpg
The sari guard is integrated into the rear hugger. Very neat.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-25-large.jpg
The best looking colour scheme on the Apache RTR 310?

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-25.5-large.jpg
Yes, this is E20 compliant.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-26.jpg
Rider seat is extremely comfortable. Large bottomed riders might wish for a hint more space from the the petrol tank to the base of the pillion seat.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-27-large.jpg
Smart looking pillion seat with large grab handles.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-27.5-large.jpg
The sculpted tank adds so much visual muscle.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-28.jpg
Lovely design elements all around.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 26th January 2024 at 10:04.
neil.jericho is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO – A Deep Dive (Part 2)

Since we ran into the 30 picture upload limit, this is part two of a visual deep dive.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-29.jpg
Well designed heat shroud for the exhaust.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-30-large.jpg
The brass coated chain is part of the Dynamic kit.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-31.jpg
Smart looking LED tail lights.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-32.jpg
The muscular tank gives this a big bike feel.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-33.jpg
Another view of the rear tail lights.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-34.jpg
The large and usable grab handle.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-35.jpg
The 240 mm petal disc at the rear.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-36.jpg
A ByBre unit for braking duties.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-37.jpg
The preload adjustment for the rear suspension is at the top. A standard C spanner should do the job.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-38-large.jpg
The rebound adjustment is at the bottom of the rear shock.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-39-large.jpg
The exhaust is carried over from the RR 310. No bad thing in my books.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-40.jpg
The side view of the pillion seat.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-41-large.jpg
Again, the attention to detail really shines.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-42.jpg
The honeycomb mesh adds a lot of flair to the visual elements.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-43.jpg
This colour combination of blacks and greys and reds come together very well. That said, a plain black Apache RTR 310 would be right up my alley. With a black rim at the front and a gold rim at the rear.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-44-large.jpg
Neat engine bay.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-45-large.jpg
Another honeycomb element at the front end of the tank. All these small touches really do add up.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-46-large.jpg
Remember what I mentioned about some ahem Italian inspiration?

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-47.jpg
Message received loud and clear!

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-48-large.jpg
There really is no space to install a proper windscreen.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-49.jpg
The Dynamic kit gets adjustable suspension. The preload and compresion adjustment are on the right leg.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-50.jpg
The front master cylinder.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-51.jpg
The uber simple switchgear on the right side is completely at odds with the overcrowded left side.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-52-large.jpg
Really useful field of view.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-53.jpg
The TFT dash from the side.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-54.jpg
The adjustable brake lever.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-55-large.jpg
The RT-DSC is the 6 axis inertial measurement unit (IMU).

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-56-large.jpg
Michelin Road 5s are OEM fitment is an excellent choice. These are likely the best tires for this segment of motorcycles.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-565-large.jpg
TVS thought of everything except 90 degree valves. Sigh!

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-57.jpg
Did I mention that these are probably the best OEM headlights in its segment and even, 1 segment above it?

Last edited by neil.jericho : 26th January 2024 at 21:04.
neil.jericho is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO – Breaking it down (Part 1)

- Design
I love the styling of the TVS Apache RTR 310, especially in this Arsenal Black paint scheme. Unlike the ugly duckling TVS Ronin, the Apache RTR 310 comes across as a suave and debonair motorcycle that has discreetly taken the best styling elements of the Yamaha MT09 (headlight), Ducati Streetfighter (panels around the engine), KTM Duke family and maybe even some Kawasaki's, without appearing to be a cheap knock-off.

The muscular tank, smartly designed headlight unit, huge engine shrouds, mismatched alloy wheels, mesh elements and gold forks all come together, to make this a very handsome motorcycle. That said, the Fury Yellow paint scheme is a head scratcher of an OEM offering. All the young enthusiasts who I spoke to absolutely abhorred that colour option. Of the two choices, the Arsenal Black is easily the more popular one. Actually, its the only popular one.

- Engine
All the riding that I did in the first couple of days, was restricted to the mean streets of Bangalore. With the emphasis that TVS placed on the Freestyler persona, I fully expected this to be a one trick pony. However, the Apache RTR 310 is surprisingly multi-dimensional. If you are simply looking to upgrade from your Apache 150 / 160 / 180 / 200 and want a good looking motorcycle for your monotonous daily office commute, then the RTR 310 is an excellent choice. You can ride it calmly and not once will you ever feel that the motorcycle is grumbling about being never being called up for racing duties. Even if your Dad wants to borrow it once in a while, he will not find anything to complain about the motorcycle. This is a superb commuter.

However, during your humdrum commute, if you find yourself at the front of a long line of stationary traffic while waiting for the signal to turn green, you can dump the clutch, twist the accelerator and tap into the trademark TVS Apache-ness which is so much fun to exploit. Once you experience that thrill of riding, I suspect that it might be hard to fall back to your usual calm and collected commuting style, without succumbing to the occasional temptation.

And yet, if your idea of an office commute is to make it the most interesting part of your daily routine, then you will find that the Apache RTR 310 simply excels in that sort of hooligan behaviour. Accelerate hard. Brake harder. Weave through traffic like you are in a video game. Dive bomb into the smallest of gaps. Annoy frustrated people in their 30 L cars. Take corners like you are on a MotoGP track.

Whatever be your choice of riding style in the city, the engine is up for the task.

Given the market positioning and how the bike excelled in these city runs, I fully expected the Apache RTR 310 to not impress me on the highways. One short breakfast ride was all it took to dispel this fallacy. The motorcycle gets up to 100 kmph with ease and every subsequent 10 kmph increment comes up in less time that you expect it to. If you want to cruise at 100 kmph and need to quickly overtake other vehicles, you dont have to worry about a thing. Its as easy as 1 - 2 - 3.

Now, coming to the elephant in the room - the long standing reputation of the 312 platform being a vibrator. In the city, you arent going to be noticing or experiencing any real vibrations at your touch points. At highway speeds of say 100 kmph, yes, there are some vibrations in the handlebar and foot pegs but they never crossover into the realm of being annoying deal breakers. In fact, where you will feel the vibrations the most, is at the base of the pillion seat. You will only experience that if you are large bottomed and are cruising on the highways, while having scooted yourself all the way to the back of the rider seat.

As the speeds go well north of 120 kmph, the engine smoothens down considerably. The faster you go, the smoother it becomes. Could you and should be be doing highway cruising at those speeds on any motorcycle in India? I wouldn't recommend it, thats for sure.

Also, there are 5 different riding modes to play with - Sport, Track, SuperMoto, Urban and Rain. I found that I enjoyed the Sport mode the most.

Considering the all rounded capabilities of the Apache RTR 310's engine, its almost like being the class topper, the nicest guy in the room, the guitarist in the college band and the captain of the soccer team.

- Braking
From here on, there are quite a few similarities with my feedback on the RR 310. So I'm simply going to tweak what I wrote about it in the Closer Look thread. Overall, the braking on the RTR 310 is confidence inspiring. The potent engine is of no real use if you don't have a reassuring braking setup to back you up. I would have preferred a bit more initial bite but overall, the front brakes do a good job. The rear brake could have done with some more feel. Their efforts are also aided by the excellent Michelin Road 5 tires, which are a default choice for enthusiasts that own big bikes. The Road 4, Road 5 and now the Road 6 tires, are known to be the top preference for Indian superbike riders who look at touring, grip and wet weather riding.

- Clutch and gearbox
TVS claims that the bike comes with a race tuned slipper clutch. You also get an optional bi-directional quick shifter. In the real world, the clutch feels appreciable light and the gearbox is a delight to work with. The only minor bother that I faced a couple of times was trying to shift from 2nd into neutral when I was at a signal.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 21:15.
neil.jericho is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO – Breaking it down (Part 2)

- Ride quality
This motorcycle came with adjustable suspension at the front and rear. I didnt fiddle with anything and used the bike as it was. Just like the ergonomics, it felt like the suspension was set up just right for my weight and riding style. When the roads werent perfect, the suspension did a really good job of managing the irregularities and there was no harshness at all. Slight undulations never caught the bike out, whatever the speeds that I was doing. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that all their racing experience provides TVS engineers with invaluable lessons for setting up and tuning the chassis and suspension of all their motorcycles.

- Handling
Subliminal. I would have loved to head to the hills on the Apache RTR 310 BTO to really put its handling to the test. Even without that experience, I can tell you that this is a motorcycle that loves to be thrown from side to side. On the highway, switching lanes while weaving past cars being driven at 100 kmph, was effortless. In the city, this is a point and scoot motorcycle, which reminded me of the first gen KTM Duke 390 (without all the over heating, dead low end, need for manic revs character). The Road 5 tires play a key supporting role and the end result is that the motorcycle just instills you with so much confidence.

The motorcycle's agile handling is quite possibly the finest weapon in its strong arsenal.

- Mirrors
They are large and give you a really good field of view. TVS could very easily have taken the accountant's way out and used existing mirrors to benefit from the economies that come with platform sharing. Thankfully, they didn't.

- Build quality
The build quality can be summed up in one word - premium. Slap a badge of an international manufacturer on the bike and put it on display at a motor show and not a single person will be able to tell you that this is a motorcycle that has been manufactured in India.

- Sound
Enthusiasts who are aware of the exhaust note of the RR 310 will recognize this as being largely familiar, with a slight tonal difference.

- Heat
For all the performance on tap and the 35.6 PS of lean, mean TVS rowdiness that is ready to rock and roll, this is a motorcycle that simply refuses to heat up and make things uncomfortable for the rider. Whatever you do, the RTR 310 will not throw endless streams of hot air onto your thighs or feet. This is obviously bad news for all riders who depend on the furnace like capabilities of their high performance motorcycles to reduce their quarterly trips to the beauty salon for waxing their legs.

In stop-go traffic, the fan does come on. You can hear it. The TFT dash shows that it is running. But the actual heat is nowhere to be found.

- Switch gear
On the right side, instead of the usual flip up or down switch on the top, with another one to start the bike, TVS has incorporated all the functionality into a single switch. This is nicely done. However, on the left side, things haven't been executed with the same attention to detail. The indicator in particular, is placed in such a way that you really have to go out of your way to push the switch to the right. Ironically, this takes so much effort that when you have to use the left indicator, your muscle memory starts second guessing itself, because this is so much easier to execute.

- Headlight
I will not be surprised if this bi-led headlight setup is the best OEM unit in an affordable performance motorcycle. Not only is the intensity really good, but the spread is quite impressive. Most other motorcycles with an LED headlight unit, end up with a HBINO (High Beam In Name Only) setup. In reality, what they give you is the low beam plus a little more light, when you switch to the high beam. On the Apache RTR 310, you do notice a proper difference in the light output of the low beam and high beam.

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-1.jpg
Low Beam

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-2.jpg
High Beam

For all the praise that I will give this system, I must point out that figuring out the settings for the headlight unit, took me quite some time. I still don't know whether I have properly understood the permutations and combinations, or not. As far as I can tell, it comes down a whether or not you have set the Dynamic headlamp as Automatic and / or you have selected the DRL (actually the low beam but TVS calls it the DRL, when the real DRL is the horizontal strip under the headlight. Confused? Tell me about it!) as Automatic or off. If you want to ride with the low beam and high beam functionality (as you would), you need to set the Dynamic headlamp to Manual and the DRL to Off. At a signal, if you switch the bike off, the headlight remains on and drains the battery. At the same signal, if you want to conserve your battery, you might naturally turn the key to the Off position. That resets these headlight settings.

What you are left with is the the Dynamic headlamp in Automatic and the DRL in Automatic (I think). Now when you ride in the day, you only get the actual DRL (horizontal strip below the headlight) and when you are under a metro station or riding into a dark area, the low beam (called the DRL by TVS) takes a few seconds to come on, which can be rather dangerous. There is no high beam, unless you use the flash button. But if you are at a signal and switch the bike off, the actual DRL and not the TVS named DRL stays on, thereby saving your battery.

If you are thoroughly perplexed by my explanation, then Ive done a great job at explaining the confusing system.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 21:20.
neil.jericho is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 14:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO – Breaking it down (Part 3)

- Screen
The TFT screen has so many levels of settings and settings within these settings that I cannot possibly add images of each of them, without overwhelming anyone who is reading this thread.

To summarize,
- There is a nice multi step transition at the startup.
- Depending on the ride mode that you are in, you get a different home layout.
- If you operate the right button on the left hand switchgear, you enter the Settings. The left 40% of the screen shows you the average speed, coolant temperature, range and RPM. The right part of the screen has a menu which consists of
1. Ride Mode
Within this, you can select Urban, Rain, Sport, Track or SuperMoto.
2. Trip Details
Within this, you can select Trip A, Trip B, Trip C or the Day trip meter. Each one gives you the Total distance covered, Total time traveled, Average speed, Top speed, Fuel consumed and Average mileage.
3. My Vehicle
Within this, you can select the Service, Performance Record and Document. The Service shows you the Next service due date and Since last service (in days and kilometers). The Performance Record shows you the Mileage (average mileage), Speed (Top speed, 0-60 kmph time in seconds and Average speed) and Laps (best lap timing). Lastly, you get Document, which shows you Document 1, Document 2 and Document 3.
4. Preferences
Within this, you can select the Dynamic headlamp, DRL, Traction control, Quickshifter, Connectivity, Display setup, Custom widgets, Speed alert and Climate controlled seat.
The Dynamic headlamp can be set as either Automatic or Manual. The DRL can be set as either Automatic or Off. The Traction Control can be set as either On or Off. The Quickshifter can be set as either On or Off. The Connectivity allows you to pair devices and display calls. The Display setup allows you to set the Brightness (Auto or Manual), Clock (Auto, Manual or Format Setting), Date (Auto or Manual), Day & Night mode (Auto, Day or Night). The Custom widgets allows you to set one of 4 different custom widgets. The Speed alert allows you to define the speed at which you want the warning to flash on the dash. In Urban Mode, I believe a red light blinks on the side of the TFT screen. The Climate Controlled seat lets you set how hot or cold you want the seat to be.

Startup Transitions

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-3.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-4.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-5.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-6.jpg
Urban Mode

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-7.jpg
Rain Mode

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-8.jpg
Sport Mode

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-9.jpg
Track Mode

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-10.jpg
SuperMoto Mode

TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look-11.jpg
Settings - Ride Modes

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 21:23.
neil.jericho is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 14:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Final Thoughts On The TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO

Summarizing the TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO is a lot harder than I thought it would be, as there are so many different perspectives to analyze this from. First things first, hats off to TVS for not giving us a re-stickered BMW G310R. Had they done that, enthusiasts would have shrugged their shoulders and said, well, it is what it is. And some TVS Apache owners would have gone ahead and bought the said bike.

Irrespective of whether you are a TVS fan or not, you have to appreciate the company for putting in genuine effort towards building an Apache that has remained true to the roots of the brand, despite the fact that it has come off a shared platform. Barring 90 degree stem valves on the wheels, I cant think of anything that the company hasnt put into the features list of the Apache RTR 310.

Now, one cannot seriously talk about this Apache and not bring up the new KTM Duke 390 which puts out 46 PS @ 8500 rpm and 39 Nm @ 6500 rpm. That is 10.4 PS (29.21%) more power and 10. NM (35.88%) more torque than the Apache RTR 310. On paper, the battle may already be lost. Now, lets come to the ex-showroom prices and TVS's baffling array of variants and prices and BTO kits.

Arsenal Black - Rs 2,57,990
Fury Yellow - Rs 2,63,990
Arsenal Black + Dynamic Kit - Rs 2,75,990
Arsenal Black + Dynamic Pro Kit - Rs 2,79,990
Arsenal Black + Dynamic Kit + Dynamic Pro Kit - Rs 2,97,990
Fury Yellow + Dynamic Kit - Rs 2,81,990
Fury Yellow + Dynamic Pro Kit - Rs 2,85,990
Fury Yellow + Dynamic Kit + Dynamic Pro Kit - Rs 3,03,990
Sepang Blue + Dynamic Kit - 2,91,990
Sepang Blue + Dynamic Pro Kit - 2,95,990
Sepang Blue + Dynamic Kit + Dynamic Pro Kit - Rs 3,13,990

KTM Duke 390 - Rs 3,10,520

So, in an extremely price conscious market like ours, at what point does the variant mix of the Apache RTR 310 cease to become VFM and in turn, start to make the Duke 390 look like an extremely attraction proposition (irrespective of which bike is better suited to the actual rider's use case)?

So, Dynamic Kit or Dynamic Pro kit? As I mentioned in my initial impressions (TVS Apache RTR 310 launched at Rs. 2.43 lakh) of the Apache RTR 310, I had so many enthusiasts come up to me and talk about the motorcycle, that it boggled my mind. One of most common questions which I got was - If we could only afford one, should we take the Dynamic Kit or the Dynamic Pro kit? To every single person who asked me this, I recommended the Dynamic Pro kit because the huge electronics suite will probably be called into action very rarely, but when you need it, you will be glad that it had your back. For those on a tight budget, I would suggest that you skip the Dynamic kit but if you are an experienced rider, the Dynamic kit along with the Dynamic Pro kit is an absolute no-brainer. If I were to pick an RTR 310 for myself, I would get myself the Sepang Blue (for more Instagram likes, assuming that some day I will actually create an Instagram profile) with both the Dynamic and Dynamic Pro kit.

So, KTM Duke 390 or Apache RTR 310 for me? I havent ridden the new Duke 390 yet, so at this point, I genuinely dont know. What does bother me, are the persistent reliability concerns that come with Team Orange, such as this one (2024 KTM Duke 390 Review). Based on everything that I have heard from fellow enthusiasts, if I had to ride a motorcycle every day of the week, I think the Apache RTR 310 would probably be the better choice for me. For weekend only runs, the Duke 390 would edge out the Apache RTR 310. Again, only a proper back to back test in mixed riding conditions, can settle this debate.

What I can say with utmost certainty, is that I loved every minute that I spent with this TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO motorcycle. Even experienced motorcycle enthusiasts cannot avoid walking into a bike swap or an extended test ride like this one, without being weighed down by preconceived notions which have more than a kernel of truth behind them. Most of the time, a motorcycle lives up to its expectations. The TVS Apache RTR 310 was a change from this norm, refreshingly so. Not once did I expect to find myself enjoying the Apache RTR 310 BTO, as much as I did. I found myself looking for reasons to ride it every day, even after a long day at work. On the Sunday morning ride, a fellow TBHPian who has had the (mis?)fortune of riding with me for the last 9 years was laughing at how aggressively I was riding, when I havent done anything remotely close to this in the past, even on motorcycles that had 3x more power.

That brings me to the crux of the TVS Apache RTR 310. In the real world, it is astronomically fun, friendly when you want it to be, thoroughly reliable, extremely stylish, ridiculously comfortable, fully loaded and, to top it all off, exclusive.

And, as my car and bike wash guys cheekily remarked," Saar, this suits your personality better than all your other motorcycles!"

Last edited by neil.jericho : 28th January 2024 at 21:48.
neil.jericho is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 00:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

re: TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 09:17   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: TVS Apache RTR 310 BTO Review – A Closer Look

Sir, this was no less than an official review. Thank you for sharing.
Elegant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 09:24   #12
BHPian

Sir, I had read your BTO RR310 with a lot of enthusiasm when you posted it. Noq, I read this review with the same enthusiasm I had before!
I found it surprising that youth you spoke to found the yellow to be disgusting. I might belong to the same age bracket and I find the yellow to look smashing. Infact given a chance to own this motorcycle, yellow would be the color for me.

TVS isn't selling this motorcycle unless they step up their dealership and marketing game. There are absolutely no test rides available in my city, atleast in the few dealerships that I spoke to. TVS needs to set up a probiking(remember what Bajaj did for KTM and Kawasaki?) Or a Honda Bigwing type of setup for the Apache series. These bikes really deserve such special treatment. How hard is it to dedicate some space for your premium motorcycles in your big showroom? And after you see success in such a model, why not setup separate shops for the same?

IMO, this is the only way TVS can sell their premium bikes. Existing dealers are simply disinterested in dealing with the queries of a 3lac rupee motorcycle. Heck, had TVS offered an RR310 testride to me in 2021 July, or even lets say atleast once in the various instances that I asked them for, an RR310 would have been in my parking lot in place of the 390 Duke that I have right now.

Excellent bikes, ruined by dealerships.
saikishor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 10:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

amazing write up neil, this is one bike I am not seeing much of on the road, which is disappointing. Neil how are the vibrations controlled on this bike on highway, I remember with 310RR after constant riding of 1 hour at cruising speeds I used to have numbness in my hand. Is it the same with this bike?

Also what is your view on doing a two up riding on highway with this bike, how comfortable is Pillion seat, would wifey be OK to sit on it for a 100 Km non stop stint. I am very seriously considering to sell my Interceptor and replace it with another bike, while one option is to fill it with RTR310/ADV390 and RS457 (For track and solo fun runs on highway) or seriosuly look at Honda NX500, which can be one bike to do it all.If I get NX500 then S1000RR will start seeing track earlier then I want to take it to track. One other option can be RTR310/ADV390 and S1KRR, I want to avoid RE now, though some part of me really wants me to throw Himalayan in the mix.

TVS need to get it's dealership fixed, or follow honda, Sell Apache range through a different dealership altogether, and leave the rest with the current lot of dealers. I hope they come up soon with the ADV bike also.

Last edited by AtheK : 29th January 2024 at 10:20.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 11:20   #14
BHPian

Thank you so much for this detailed write-up @neil.jericho! I think this is going to act as a perfect starter guide for those considering this motorcycle.

Considering the location of some of these shots (which is close to a very well known motorbike garage), I'm fairly certain I spotted you on the road, multiple times. As an ex-RTR 200 (very recently sold) owner, the 310 has been on my radar for a long time. As you said, it would be a great upgrade and everytime I've seen it on the road, its massive road presence has always had me staring at the bike. Would've loved to talk to you about the bike but it was crowded and I had taken the car.

I've always hoped for a G310R counterpart from TVS, but alas, I won't be able to experience the vehicle soon as I'm moving abroad. Hoping that BMW update their G310R to meet the standards that the RTR310 has set.

Also, if this vehicle does well, TVS may take the plunge to work on a G310GS counterpart haha. Hoping that day comes soon!
Hagaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 11:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Name:  310.png
Views: 762
Size:  332.1 KB
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks