Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2004, 01:02   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorbikes - Tips to prevent rust in Monsoon

Hi guys, Monsoon has begun and its time for our beloved machines to go into hibernation. So many of us will use [or rarely use] our cars/bikes in the monsoon. I have decided to cover my bike completely to keep it away from the elements. Now that sounds very easy. But then we have to also protect it from rust and moisture.
Bajaj bikes are more prone to rust than any other bikes in India. So I have to be very careful when I leave my bike covered/uncovered for more than 2-3 days in the rain. The wheels start rusting. Every 2-3 days I have to use a white powder to remove the rusts. Now its not possible to do that all the time. I have tried using the *"brown" anti-rust. But then after a week I realised that it is useless. The wheel still rusts, but u do not realise it unless u touch the area or the rust comes off.

So now I am thinking of a permanent [4 months] solution to this problem. I was thinking of applying grease [white] over the wheels and all the steel parts. I know the stuff is sticky and will look YUCK. But I dont care as long as it helps.

When I had a Yamaha RXZ some years back, i had used "tape" over both the wheels, and believe me or not, the wheels didnt rust one bit. I tried the same thing with my Eliminator last year but it still managed to catch rust at some places.

So guys, do you have any more suggestions?? What do you do in the monsoons?? Does your bike hibernate or do you take it out in the rains??

P.S. Hey GTO, What u gonna do to the Jeep??
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2004, 16:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey V12,

Rust is the number enemy for our steeds and there is no way I am going to drive my Jeep in Bombay monsoons after all that hard work that I have put into her.

Its been packed since three days now in the last parking slot of my building, cover + ropes et all. Not a chance for a drop of rain to get to my beauty. Only thing I am going to do is drive it 10 kms once a week to make sure everything stays lubricated, maintain electricals etc.

My Jeep is my daily driver. Butttttttttt for three months it going to be back to the Vtec. Honestly cant wait for September as I will open her up for that wind-in-your-face kinda motoring.

GTO
Old 9th May 2004, 16:48   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey GTO, what body cover are u using for the Jeep. I am looking out for a 100% waterproof cover for my bike. And LARGE enough to wrap the entire bike from top to bottom.
Old 9th May 2004, 18:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am using a Mahindra Scorpio cover since there was pretty much nothing made for my CJ. Its a size too big, which is good since it covers everything from the roof to the wheels.

Its got some star brand written on it. If you want, I can check out any available covers for your bike and update you

GTO
Old 9th May 2004, 23:42   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 2 covers with me. but they arent completely waterproof.

Anyways what abt the steel parts? is grease enuf to prevent rust??
Old 9th May 2004, 23:55   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Grease is not advisable, especially since you will leave it on for 3 months. It will leave permanent stains on your metal. I had some biker friends who used some sorta spray onto their chrome, and it never ever rusted.

Buttttttt I can source a 100% waterproof cover for you if you'd like. Alternatively use transparent sheet plastic and hold it down with a couple of rocks. Will work like a charm.

GTO
Old 10th May 2004, 00:03   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya i was thinkin of a big plastric sheet. no chances of leaks cos there wont be stitches on it.
cud u pls find out what spray they used and how much does it cost.
Thanks.
Old 12th June 2004, 15:05   #8
BHPian

i am using my bike in monsoons, i just clean my bike, spray away the dirt i.e after every ride,definitely bajaj bikes are the rated the worst in quality matters thts why even mine catches rust in a few places as u said use tht white powder to remove it.not applying anti rust to my bike ,not worth it!!,hey gto cud u let us know bout the spray and how to get one it wud be really helpful.
Old 12th June 2004, 15:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

gto,
i have been using a POLCO cover for my car which is said to be 100%waterproof ,but water does go inside the cover.the sales person hasaid that since the cover is breathable water will go inside.so when ever i remove the cover there r stains all over the car.
so will this damage my car.

plsssssss advice
satya

Old 30th June 2004, 23:06   #10
BHPian

i saw my friend applying 2t oil for his bike. i dont know how helpful it will be. persnally i did not try. i have coat of rubber paint below the mud guard. the rust usually starts soon in the bottom so i done that.
Old 26th July 2004, 00:16   #11
BHPian

Guys!
Covers work like charms during summers to keep out the direct sunlight that fades paintwork but not too good for the monsoons. Use em for my bikes but moisture invariably seeps thru and the covers kind of create a greenhouse effect. They trap the moisture within the confines of the covered vehicle even when its not raining. Causes a lot of humidity that aggrevates rusting. Try to open the covers once in a while when the sun is shining bright. This would cause the collected moisture to vapourise away and would also allow u to catch any rust before it spreads.
Take care people.
Regards,
Kyle.
Old 6th June 2006, 14:29   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok so the rains are here. This thread is gonna be useful for many. .

Here's what I've done to my bike. Wrapped like a chocolate. Got a 4m long plastic sheet used to cover roof tops. Rode (not literally) my bike into it and closed it from both ends and have put a body cover over it.

Old 6th June 2006, 17:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

So what do you use for the monsoons V12?
Old 6th June 2006, 17:12   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Till now nothing. Have tried anti-rust in the past. but its useless. It still rusts. Only diff is its not visible. And its a pain to remove the anti-rust.
Just a spray of WD40 on the switches every week. The usual polishing. And maybe little white grease on the rims to prevent rust.
Old 6th June 2006, 17:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

I meant what do you use to ride around on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks