Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 18:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

ABS exists on many high end bikes since ages. I wonder whats so new in this other than the fact that one of the commuter bikes in india have ABS.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:48   #17
BANNED

No point in introducing ABS for an Indian bike as safety precaution.When a 300Kmph+ Hayabusa does not require one why these 100kmph bikes? Indian bikes are better off with Saree Guards and Crash Guards.
Old 28th December 2007, 01:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

What a bunch of nonsense. ABS has nothing to do with what speed you're traveling at. Its entirely about how much grip is available and how to maximize braking force for that grip.

Wheel lockups can occur, with much the same results, equally well at 20 km/h and 200 km/h.
Old 28th December 2007, 01:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
What a waste !
Not exactly!

I'm a person who had a fall as the wheels locked up on braking. Many would have similar experiences.

Its not only at 200+ speeds that wheels tend to lock up!
Old 28th December 2007, 06:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

One of the main reasons for motorcycle crashes is that everyone knows how to go fast but not everyone knows how to slow down in a panic situation. ABS is a boon on bikes.

Just because the hayabusa doesnt have it doesnt mean it doesnt require it. ABS increases cost of a bike substantially not to mention increase in weight. Hence most bike manufacturers dont put it on all their bikes.

Not letting the wheel lock up is just one of the 'pros'. More importantly it keeps the vehicle facing in the right direction under hard braking.

In these 'DISGUSTING' Indian conditions, each and every bike should have ABS.
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

yes TVS can do it...remember they are the first to launch the 5 speed bike in india....they are the first to launch VTi engine in india for bikes....they have the master piece SHOGUN used for all dirt track racings...first petal disc brakes...high mileage vehicles....

no big issue for them to introduce ABS
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes TVS can do it...remember they are the first to launch the 5 speed bike in india....they are the first to launch VTi engine in india for bikes....they have the master piece SHOGUN used for all dirt track racings...first petal disc brakes...high mileage vehicles....

i agree that tvs has a lot of firsts to its name. also i dont think that anyone is disputing whether tvs can or cannot introduce abs. its just that news item quoting tvs who are perhaps claiming to be the first "global" company to have abs on bikes.

a bit off topic but briefly; i think the enfield fury had the first 5 speed bike and perhaps even before that the yezdi 350 came with a 5 speed box and even before that was the rd with the 6 speed box and the first truly "high-mileage" vehicle was the hh cd100 i think. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

Shogun always used to be called SUZUKI shogun, and not without reason!

Whats VTi engine?
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Whats VTi engine?
VTi is something like Variable Timing IMO.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:55   #25
BHPian

ABS is sorely needed on a Blaze more than any other Indian bike. It almost always fishtails under heavy braking.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
One of the main reasons for motorcycle crashes is that everyone knows how to go fast but not everyone knows how to slow down in a panic situation. ABS is a boon on bikes.

Just because the hayabusa doesnt have it doesnt mean it doesnt require it. ABS increases cost of a bike substantially not to mention increase in weight. Hence most bike manufacturers dont put it on all their bikes.

Not letting the wheel lock up is just one of the 'pros'. More importantly it keeps the vehicle facing in the right direction under hard braking.

In these 'DISGUSTING' Indian conditions, each and every bike should have ABS.

Absolutely agree with you. In India, especially in Kerala, most of the corners
will have some sand or gravel. In rainy season also, the road is shared by water and vehicles alike. I have felt it very necessary on bikes, because if it's a car that is skidding, we have something to protect us, but on a bike, nothing other than your riding gear. I too have skidded because of the front tire got locked up. And I was not doing more than 40-50 kmph. Hope it'll be common on bikes in near future
Old 12th December 2008, 15:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Has it come out yet ? the bike with ABS ?
Old 12th December 2008, 16:00   #28
BHPian

Yes TVS has the technical and managerial capabilities to introduce ABS (and yes it is not the first "Global Company to do so )

But the real question is, whether introduction of ABS is in any way "SIGNIFICANTLY" decrease fatal acidents.

Day before yesterday, I had the ringside view of two Pulsar 200s and one P180 (two coming from one direction and one crossing the road) bang head on........ carried one to Fortis Mohali, clothes and car still bloody, wife carried another one, unconcious, bleeding profusely, rest got away with breakages.

What was the most noticeable feature: three bikes, seven guys, 5 drunk and not a single helmet...

The result, the one I carried may not live.

My submission, the Indian biker is still an immature adolescent who still needs to be taught about the virtues of sobriety and helmets. In such a scenario I wonder how many lives will ABS be able to save.....
Old 12th December 2008, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Has it come out yet ? the bike with ABS ?
No it hasn't yet. TVS has kind of frozen it's new launches.
An Apache 180cc was expected. But there are no signs of that either.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:56   #30
BHPian

Has anyone used the ABS marketed by SafeRide? Saferide ABS. It can be fitted on any bike with hydraulic disk brake, and can be installed easily. I was planning to fit one, but haven't read any user review anywhere. It costs only Rs 1500/-, and if it works, I think it's a good bargain.
Does anyone have info about it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks