Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 21:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

no way. you need a bike where some weight is on legs. avenger is so wrong. TB is good and you can stand on footpegs if need be. avenger made me (pulsarian) feel that I was on the ground, and more shocks esp missed speed breakers because the jerk hits the spine directly
Old 9th December 2008, 22:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
no way. you need a bike where some weight is on legs. avenger is so wrong. TB is good and you can stand on footpegs if need be. avenger made me (pulsarian) feel that I was on the ground, and more shocks esp missed speed breakers because the jerk hits the spine directly
TB is the best, you can even drive for hours. In fact all the RE bikes are almost provide best comfort with less or no backpain /neck pain.

Take a test drive of both TB and Avenger for at least 30 kms to feel the difference.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:48   #63

I've a Thunderbird(20K+ Kms) and a Avenger(8K) and an old College time Caliber(45K Kms).

Here is my experience.

Thunderbird has the most comfortable position for riding. No wrist pain, or back pain. At least I haven't felt any strain on my back, even when I drove for 18 hrs straight (Kanyakumari to Bangalore). so I vouch for that..

Avenger comes next. Extremely good seat, nice relaxed posture, legs rest comfortable on pegs. Caliber is the worst of all, with small seat and straight back.

But ask any rider,
No matter which bike you ride, there is one universal pain and that is
Butt pain.

Ride a bike continuously for more than 200Kms and you will lose sensitivity in that part of your body *i.e. your butt

Thats why all riders take butt-break (or shud i call it sutta break)
Old 31st December 2008, 11:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Hi,

10 years I have used various two wheeler like Bajaj Chetak, KB - 125, and Splendour. Had to sell my Splendor 3 years back because of severe lower back pain.
-----
Need your help buying a new bike.
Unicorn is an excellent bike. I have been using it for last 3 years mileage is 55kmpl when driven sensibly at 45-60 kmpl consistently no better bike in this class.
Old 1st January 2009, 14:16   #65
BHPian

I also think Uni is the best avilable in the segment. The engine is class.
Overall a good bike.
Old 1st January 2009, 15:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a bike for long drives, then beware of CBZ X-treme. My new CBZ-x gives me significant back ache and stiffness (its not so comfy on the wrists & palms either) on long drives. For shorter drives, it dosent affect much. Never have/had any back problems driving my Shogun. But then the gun is hell lot noisier and less smooth, and that kinda gives me a headache on long drives... lol!
Old 1st January 2009, 16:12   #67
BHPian

I'm surprised that no one suggested the Karizma, thought it was supposed to be a sports cruiser, also it has the advantage of being lighter compared to RE's.

Have not ridden one extensively but found the riding position to be very comfortable. But then again anything would be comfortable after riding my R15
Old 1st January 2009, 16:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

bike with no backpain?atleast not available here in India.nearest one is a bullet electra(not std) with a custom backrest for the rider.possible!
Old 1st January 2009, 17:08   #69
BHPian

one can try the trick of gripping the fuel tank with knees and thighs slightly during normal riding and tightly when a pothole or rough road comes up or while braking hard.

this helps in reducing weight on a the spine and distributing it. also, during panic braking, the weight of the body gets transferred to the handle bars resulting in many a skids, gripping the tank with legs tightly keep the weight down and free the handles somewhat.

try this with all the other suggestions posted already and have a better ride.

a bullet with the wide seats and the riding stance, is easier on the back; neither it is difficult to put on centre stand nor to start, provided the rider knows how to do that, many a times contrary to hear-say probably.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
bike with no backpain?atleast not available here in India.nearest one is a bullet electra(not std) with a custom backrest for the rider.possible!
For most of the people who like to avoid Back pain any RE bikes, especially Thunderbird should help!. Its not just the bikes causing back pains, Roads, your riding style/posture, shocks are also the few other causes.

Few exercises which you should do regularly with moderate are low intensity will prevent lower Back pains. Follow this link Health Tips and Technics - treatment for low back pain - treatment for back bone - Exercise for low back pain

Last edited by agbenny : 2nd January 2009 at 10:57.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:38   #71
BHPian

To reduce back strain, you have to stand up while riding over bumps. You should have seen those 100cc rugged road bike races, where the rider stands up while riding through bumps. If you do this and make it a habit then you wont have much of a problem

The old scooters which is very popular among the docotors have very comfortable seats. They have spring suspension even under the seats. That feature is unique and not found in any other bike. The doctors knew about back strain way before us and chose the right two-wheeler for riding.

Donno about Bullet or Thunderbird. But, the real cruisers havnt reached india. Riding a harley davidson is like driving a car. In a cruiser, you need not sit erect, you can sit and relax while you ride.

Last edited by ritz830 : 4th January 2009 at 17:41.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:40   #72
BHPian

wow

sorry for being here but the 71st post was the biggest load of bull ever! i have to hand it out to you sir, your imagination and fact making skills are exceptional. and the overall tone with which you are able to render bikes in India to not be "real" cruisers is just precious!

while riding over a hump/speed bump standing on the bike while it goes over these is a great idea if you plan not to brake/slow down and calmly proceed over the hump. the riders in the races do so to avoid/reduce impact while taking big jumps/rattly patches on the track while going at the same pace and not having to reduce speed. for a regular bike user such "advice" would be less practically applicable. just my thoughts.

the old scooters had a very awkward riding position. from personal experience i figure that the posture is a bit strenuous and over a longer duration of riding and long term use causes back strain as the angle between the back and thigs is more than 90 degrees. the upright position at that angle(90 degrees) is more comfortable and less strain.

could you please elaborate on how riding a harley davison is like driving a car. i would really love to know as i have ridden a harley but this feel of a car part totally dodged me. Btw sitting erect while riding/driving reduces strain on the lower back and helps you ride more comfortably for longer periods of time. you might have noticed cab drivers who do long distance trips always have their seats at a right angle position. this is done to reduce stress on the lower back.

since you have been very generous with your wise words of wisdom, it would be great if you could think about what you are about to type and see how much sense it makes and then post. reading figments of your assumptions is fun, but not when someone is looking for some sound advise to help resolve an issue.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:54   #73
BHPian

[quote=ritz830;1115954]To reduce back strain, you have to stand up while riding over bumps.

I guess one will have to stand and ride in that case taking into consideration the condition of Indian roads. Actually that will be a good exercise for the calf muscles also.

Thanks for the valuable info.
Old 5th January 2009, 03:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

FWIW, I have always instinctively stood up partly (so that my legs can absorb some of the shock) while going over big speed breakers on my bikes... esp. Shogun. And it works for me. And ya, I dont usually slow down while going over speed breakers... unless I'm riding with a pillion rider. With a pillion rider I dont like the feel of the bike going thru a speed breaker - it usually bottoms out the shock absorbers... and I wouldn't wanna treat my bikes that harshly. But this is most certainly not an overall method you can use to avoid back pain!!

As for the comfort afforded by old scooters... esp. like Bajaj Chetak, etc, which used to have a main horizontal spring and smaller springs under the body of the seat, I have really no idea what comfort is being reffered to. As far as I remembered, there was nothing remotely comfortable about riding those scooters. The seats used to suk big time inspite of the springs and the shock absorbers were awful, to say the least. If any doc ever recommened such a contraption to avert back pain, he should have his licence confiscated.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:29   #75
Team-BHP Support

Check your accelerator cable. A tight one will cause a bad neck pain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks