Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 10:17   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As for the comfort afforded by old scooters... esp. like Bajaj Chetak, etc, which used to have a main horizontal spring and smaller springs under the body of the seat, I have really no idea what comfort is being reffered to. As far as I remembered, there was nothing remotely comfortable about riding those scooters. The seats used to suk big time inspite of the springs and the shock absorbers were awful, to say the least. If any doc ever recommened such a contraption to avert back pain, he should have his licence confiscated.
Yes, one has to instinctively stand up while riding over huge bumps or potholes.

The Seat in the old scoots had spring. And, Bullet Machismo has similar kind of seats I think.

Above Picture is Kinetic Aquila: the foot rest is position in front and not right below the driver seat.

@aswin: whats gone wrong with you. What tone of speech are you referring to in your post. Everyone here is free to express their opinions.
The riding style of all present cruisers have the reclining stile. With the rider foot extended like in sitting in a Car. I think everyone here appreciates that.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2009 at 12:06. Reason: see note in post
Old 5th January 2009, 12:27   #77
BHPian

HI All,
I had back pain problem a couple of weeks before ,but now its gone.
The reason being the changes made on my bike.
I have recently changed the rear suspension,changed my cushions infact hightened them by half an inch and finally i have the rims were out in alignment so got that done.
All the best for others too .
Old 5th January 2009, 12:32   #78
BANNED

I read a Q and A in Men's Health. Jan 2009 issue.

My lower back gives away on long bike rides. How can I solve it?
- Arjun Dik****, New Delhi

Core stability exercises help. While biking, stretch the back to keep it from stiffness. Get yourself professionally fitted to your bike. You've probably lost mobility in your hips and spine due to pedalling for long periods with your trunk bent forward. These therapies will help. Back saver 1: Loosen your hamstrings, glutes, middle back, and lower back by lying on a foam roll and rolling over each area for 30 seconds, double that for tender spots. Back saver 2: Increase your hip and stomach mobility by doing yoga's cat pose in 8 to 10 repetitions, twice a day or before and after rides. It makes your back supple and keeps the pain away.

Courtesy: Men's Health. Answered by Anant Joshi, MD, an expert in sport sciences and medicine.

I believe slowing down the bike while passing by the bumps should help. Riding with the same throttle on bumps will certainly harm the spine.

Regarding, Thunderbird, Its a real cruiser in my Opinion, and I have never heard any complains from any RE users so far on bike rides. This is one good reason why RE clubs and individual owners go for long rides. Can you do a 2500 KM trip in Splendor?
Old 5th January 2009, 13:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
To reduce back strain, you have to stand up while riding over bumps. You should have seen those 100cc rugged road bike races, where the rider stands up while riding through bumps. If you do this and make it a habit then you wont have much of a problem
Mate, this is a bad idea! you are litterally giving more stress on the back while doing this.. and rest of the life will be on bed incase if you manage to fall down / rear ended by other vehicles!!!!
You can do this while on a dirt track or race scenario where your focus is on certain parameters, wearing proper support jackets and stuffs and no chances of rear ending a big vehicle!!! What you say cannot be recommended to any street users! me thinks!
Old 11th July 2017, 15:35   #80
BHPian

What 2-wheeler to buy next?

Hi Everyone,

I am on the look-out to purchase a 2-wheeler and with so many options around, I am totally confused.

Request you all to kindly help me with my predicament.

My requirements (In-Detail)

Request you to all to kindly help on finalizing my next 2 wheeler bike.

I am looking to purchase a 2-wheeler primarily for office-home commute and for some weekend shopping.
My daily usage should not be more than 35kms and I expect to cover around 200+ kms over the weekends.
The bike would largely be driven without a pillion (70%) of the time. But while chosing the bike, I would like to consider the pillion comfort as well.

Current ownership -

I already own a pulsar 150cc and have purchased this bike in 2009. Since then, I have only clocked approx (30K) on this bike.
Now I am looking to upgrade as whenever I drive the bike, I sense mild to severe back-pain.
I own a car as well but driving through a car in peak office hours drives me nuts and I have a requirement to be in office by 9:15 AM sharp.

Hence now looking for a upgrade to a 2-wheeler.

Initially I had decided to only go for a scooter as that would serve the purpose.
However, I have heard from many that driving a scooter might induce the back pain even more and hence I am wary of going that way.
But, I am still open to suggestions here as well.

Now considering the bikes,

I have shortlisted the following bikes.

a) Honda shine sp
b) Hero glamour 2017 (i3s version w/o FI)

My criteria for shortlisting was primarily based on the best selling 125cc bikes and one that would offer decent fuel economy/ASS.

I have the following concerns -

a) How would it be to now drive a 125cc bike given that I have always been driving a 150cc.
b) Which one of the two - Honda shine or Hero glamour is good in terms of riding comfort (specially for back), mileage and after sales service.
c) Given that the new hero glamour has been developed in-house and a new engine, do you forsee any drawbacks? (Like - Not enough reviews/ownership threads of new hero glamour)
d) I have not test driven the shine yet, but on driving the new glamour I found a strange smell coming out of the engine exhaust, the clutch was very flimsy to hold (very loose), and there was a dash of noise (only once) coming from the chain area.
On further probing, I was told that a new consignment of vehicle had just arrived and they were yet to go through PDI checks.

To add further to the already existing confusion,

I was also considering If I should extend the budget and consider buying a unicorn 150 (old version) or the Bajaj Avenger 150.

I am sorry that I have enlisted so many options, but I am the classic case of a confused bike enthusiast given that we have so many options in india in the 2-wheeler segment.

My requirements (In-Summary)

1. Budget - Max 90K (Preferably 80K)
2. Age - 32
3. Height - 5 ft 10 inch
4. Weight - 75
5. Intended usage (eg. Office/College commute, Highway runs, Racetrack usage, Weekend recreation riding etc.) - Office commute, Weekend shopping (Groceries)
6. Fuel Efficiency requirement (approx., if any) - Atleast 45 km/lt
7. City & Highway percentage usage - City (80), Highway (20)
8. Approximate Daily / Monthly running - Daily usage - 35km
9. City / Town /Village of residence (so we can evaluate road conditions / traffic / terrain / altitude / OTR pricing) - Hyderabad (Nallagandla)/Medium to High Density Traffic during peak office hours/ 20% mildly patchy roads
10. Brand / Bike type preference (if any) - Honda/Hero

Thanks.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:49   #81
Team-BHP Support

Re: What 2-wheeler to buy next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
I already own a pulsar 150cc and have purchased this bike in 2009. Since then, I have only clocked approx (30K) on this bike.
Now I am looking to upgrade as whenever I drive the bike, I sense mild to severe back-pain.
First things first, is this back pain a strong factor why you're upgrading? Is this Pulsar specific? Is it the riding posture, suspension on this bike?

Have you thought about the pain recurring with the new purchase?

The root cause for this pain can be something totally independent of which bike you ride.

Also, if you have to replace the Pulsar, why not something like an Activa: fulfills your purpose, at a much lower cost.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 16:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
First things first, is this back pain a strong factor why you're upgrading? Is this Pulsar specific? Is it the riding posture, suspension on this bike?
Yes on riding the pulsar I indeed get back-pain. One factor could be that the vehicle is pretty old and I have been a little lax in taking care of it.

I was not able to regularly service the bike at its due intervals out of various commitments. I have recently replaced its suspension, but even that does not help. I am also not comfortable of its riding posture with a couched back.

To answer your question short, my assumption is that it should be an issue specific to the bike.

Quote:
Have you thought about the pain recurring with the new purchase?
Looking for suggestions that would be comfortable for the back.

Quote:
The root cause for this pain can be something totally independent of which bike you ride.
Agree. But I have noticed that I get the back pain only when I drive the bike.
If I use my car, I usually do not notice any such pain.

Quote:
Also, if you have to replace the Pulsar, why not something like an Activa: fulfills your purpose, at a much lower cost.
As I mentioned, my first interest in buying a 2-wheeler was to purchase a scooter. But I was informed by a good friend not to consider a 2-wheeler because of their skimpy tyres, lack of safety and increased back-pain if one would purchase a scooter. Hence looking for suggestions!
Old 11th July 2017, 16:39   #83
BHPian

I went through the same thing that you are experiencing now. I had a sever back pain and i rode a NS200. I used to think that riding is a major reason. However, after consulting an ortho and a physio, the reasons identified were weak and tight lower back muscles. After working on my fitness, i am able to ride the same bike without back pain. So, i would suggest that you fix you back as there are chances that you will experience pain even if you rode a different bike.

If you still feel like replacing your bike, then avenger is a good option as it has a relaxed position.
ReluctantRebel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 16:45   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To answer your question short, my assumption is that it should be an issue specific to the bike.
If you can, borrow someone's scooter/bike for a couple of days and ride it on your regular commute.

If you haven't already, have your back checked: given the sedentary lives that most of us lead in office, coupled with the wonderful roads our country affords us, you wouldn't want to buy a new two-wheeler and then realize, the problem is with the physiology than the bike.
Old 11th July 2017, 17:16   #85
BHPian

As Reluctant Rebel suggested, join a gym or find a way to do regular hyperextensions for your back.
Alternatively, start by 6.30~7 in the morning and use your car, join a gym near your office to get fit and reach on time by cutting peak hours.
Sorry for not answering your questions though.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 18:48   #86
BHPian

A scooter may exacerbate your back pain because of the smaller wheels and relatively poor (in comparison to a motorcycle) suspension. Seating position of Avenger is worse when it comes to back pain.
I used to get back pain on my thunderbird. I sold it and got a Duke. The slightly lean-forward posture and the rigid seat gives me the support I need. Also, I have started sleeping on the floor at night which has resulted in my back pain getting cured. Been free of the pain since last 1 week and nothing else has changed except the bike and the sleeping habit.

As someone suggested, borrow a friend's bike for a few days to see if it's comfortable. If you have no friends, rent a bike from somewhere and try that. Or just leave early to beat the traffic and go by car. If the car is an automatic transmission, even better!
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 19:26   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Agree. But I have noticed that I get the back pain only when I drive the bike.

If I use my car, I usually do not notice any such pain.

As suggested by others, I will say get your back checked and get into an exercising routine to strengthen the lower back muscles. The reason you get no pain after a car ride could just be the added comfort of the seat and lot less bumps filtering on. On a bike, your back takes much larger toll.

I too have a the same situation but I kind of narrow down to a weaker back than only the bike. Get your back in shape and then try out bikes that suit your posture. That will help you enjoy the bike also.
Old 11th July 2017, 21:18   #88
BHPian

@vijay.s it really could be a physiological or lifestyle problem rather than mechanical. I have seen that when I take a break from work for an active holiday for more than 2-3 days, I automatically feel better on account of not having sat in 1 place for too long.

I haven't had back pain, but a little bit of knee pain is creeping in (I have been commuting by bike for 15+ years). But my buying decisions have always been based on comfort rather than fuel efficiency or speed. There is another discussion on this particular topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...k-comfort.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
A scooter may exacerbate your back pain because of the smaller wheels and relatively poor (in comparison to a motorcycle) suspension. Seating position of Avenger is worse when it comes to back pain.
I used to get back pain on my thunderbird. I sold it and got a Duke. The slightly lean-forward posture and the rigid seat gives me the support I need. Also, I have started sleeping on the floor at night which has resulted in my back pain getting cured. Been free of the pain since last 1 week and nothing else has changed except the bike and the sleeping habit.

As someone suggested, borrow a friend's bike for a few days to see if it's comfortable. If you have no friends, rent a bike from somewhere and try that. Or just leave early to beat the traffic and go by car. If the car is an automatic transmission, even better!
+1 to sleeping on the floor. +1 to a lean-forward posture being better for the back.
Old 11th July 2017, 22:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
@vijay.s it really could be a physiological or lifestyle problem rather than mechanical. I have seen that when I take a break from work for an active holiday for more than 2-3 days, I automatically feel better on account of not having sat in 1 place for too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
+1 to sleeping on the floor. +1 to a lean-forward posture being better for the back.
Thank you for the advice. I surely would look into putting this into practice.
Old 26th December 2017, 22:39   #90
BHPian

Re: Bike with no back pain

I have 2 things: An Avenger 220 and a slightly bulging disc in my lower back . Off late it has been very bad. Anyway long story cut short. I plan to modify the seat to make it like a coccyx cushion
A coccyx cushion let's your spine not get compressed, having a motorcycle seat like a coccyx cushion should release some pressure on the spine, right?

What do you guys think?

Ps: I have already put a small back rest for the rider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks