Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2005, 20:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

A rule is a rule, there's no question about it not being mandatory. How can you pass a rule that people can choose not to follow.

A request or a suggestion can be put down, but a rule cannot.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 21:04   #62
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
It doesn't. That is why i said, it's not as important as wearing a helmet. But like i've mentioned, if you've legally aquired it, that is by giving a valid test and understanding why rules have to be followed, then you will be a safe driver.

You can't just say, does having a degree make you intelligent. If course it doesn't, but it does make you qualified for the job.

Shan2nu

Not necessary. I have not given a valid test for DL so it means that im not a safe driver? or i donno the rules.
Old 26th January 2005, 21:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Question is where do you draw the line? Though imposing a rule and fining people might be the only way you can actually get people to mind their own safety, but what about the minority of people who think their freedom is insecure. Last time I checked it was still a democracy. The only key solution to the problem is education. Educating one billion plus something people might seem like a gargantuan task, but it's not impossible. Educate them about the fact that the pros outweigh the cons, and then let them accept responsibility for their own lives, and the lives of their family. Nobody can be blamed, the government certainly won't be, might put some NGOs out of business, but all in good cause. There are a lot of issues which are very debatable. It's the same with smoking too, I'm perfectly educated about the cons of smoking, chapter after chapter in biology that is all i really read about. But I still do smoke, for whatever reasons, it's still my call, because it's my life. I'll probably die by 40, ignorance or apathy, it's still my call. They recently banned smoking in pubs in Italy and the rest of the EU too (I think). Now how is smoking worse then kids who get sloshed by 9 PM in pubs and wait in queue to puke?? Gatsos are another hot issue in the UK. The problem is we are going to end up with the same laws as theirs, because the government can't think for itself, obviously because majority of the ministers are uneducated themselves.

It's high time that the government realised that achieving a 7% growth in GDP isn't the end of the world. Education probably is, and then you could go one up on China and do your victory dance.
Old 26th January 2005, 21:06   #64
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
A rule is a rule, there's no question about it not being mandatory. How can you pass a rule that people can choose not to follow.

A request or a suggestion can be put down, but a rule cannot.

Shan2nu
Motor Vehicle Act says front passengers should wear seat belts. Then why was the seat belt rule made mandatory?
If,A rule is a rule, there's no question about it not being mandatory.
Old 26th January 2005, 21:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessary. I have not given a valid test for DL so it means that im not a safe driver? or i donno the rules
Don't take it harshly but in a way it does. Getting a DL without a valid test shows disrespect for the law.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 21:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motor Vehicle Act says front passengers should wear seat belts. Then why was the seat belt rule made mandatory?
It was always mandatory. Something doesn't bcom mandatory only when the cops start catching you. For them, it's a money making thing. U think they care about your safety? Nope.

But as a rider, you have to be smart enuf to wear a helmet. And you cannot complain if they start fining you for not wearing one.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 21:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

See, i don't want this to turn into another arguement. So lets not get personal by questioning each others skills or capability to drive. I'm sure you are a safe driver n all.

So lets get back to the question that started it all.

Like i've said, rules are always mandatory, they always have been. It's only that the government isn't consistant in keeping a check on whether people are following it. They'll hack you for a month, catch you where you least expect them to be and after they've gathered enuf revenue from their dirty work, they'll let you loose for another few months.

Don't fight the rule, the rules are clean, it's the officials that are responsible for maintianing this rule are the ones you need to fight against.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th January 2005 at 21:32.
Old 26th January 2005, 22:44   #68
F50
Senior - BHPian

No man im not taking it personally. This rule is for safety and im totally with it. No probs against rule.
Old 27th January 2005, 10:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
@VINSANITY: Dude, I think we really confused the hell outa you lol! Each post of your's has you swaying to the other side of the arguement!

rtech,
Ya this can be one hellowa debate...

Its like certain things like using one etc, u are for it..
Then about impossing a rule, well, a debatble one..
Ah, one argument this!!!!!
Mixed imotions!! hehehee
Old 27th January 2005, 10:27   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Question is where do you draw the line? Though imposing a rule and fining people might be the only way you can actually get people to mind their own safety, but what about the minority of people who think their freedom is insecure. Last time I checked it was still a democracy. The only key solution to the problem is education. Educating one billion plus something people might seem like a gargantuan task, but it's not impossible. Educate them about the fact that the pros outweigh the cons, and then let them accept responsibility for their own lives, and the lives of their family. Nobody can be blamed, the government certainly won't be, might put some NGOs out of business, but all in good cause. There are a lot of issues which are very debatable. It's the same with smoking too, I'm perfectly educated about the cons of smoking, chapter after chapter in biology that is all i really read about. But I still do smoke, for whatever reasons, it's still my call, because it's my life. I'll probably die by 40, ignorance or apathy, it's still my call. They recently banned smoking in pubs in Italy and the rest of the EU too (I think). Now how is smoking worse then kids who get sloshed by 9 PM in pubs and wait in queue to puke?? Gatsos are another hot issue in the UK. The problem is we are going to end up with the same laws as theirs, because the government can't think for itself, obviously because majority of the ministers are uneducated themselves.

It's high time that the government realised that achieving a 7% growth in GDP isn't the end of the world. Education probably is, and then you could go one up on China and do your victory dance.

very well said! One more person who understands where I'm coming from.
Old 27th January 2005, 14:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

okay - one question - ppl say they werent given time , so the cops note down / take away the Dl and ask the riders to collect it after a months time (say a month to buy a helmet sounds stupid but ok ) ...how any of the riders will turn up after a month (forget a week) to collect their Dl back ??

NONE - they better get new licenses by paying 50 bucks than buy a helmet !!

thats the story here - its not about mandatory laws , not about people having brains , not about cops trying to mint money or about the government trying to beat china , the only thing that stops people wearing helmets or going on protesting against laws is LACK OF SELF DISCIPLINE.

thats it !! i mean this thread mite go on and on and on and on .........i feel people should wear helmets ....i know majority wont but then it alls boils down to what i have written above ! people should take it upon themselves to ensure their own safety atleast !! and now if the government is forcing them to adopt safety for their own sake these guys go and protest and mind you not only the uneducated but even the well heeled and well educated people do it !!

We have to take it on ourselves to ensure our own safety atleast !!

thats my take ! sorry if that sounded too preachy !!

cheers

Last edited by normally_crazy : 27th January 2005 at 14:26.
Old 27th January 2005, 14:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the same with smoking too, I'm perfectly educated about the cons of smoking, chapter after chapter in biology that is all i really read about. But I still do smoke, for whatever reasons, it's still my call, because it's my life.
Probably you forgot to read that chapter on passive smoking. Banning smoking is more to do with other people taking in your smoke rather than you getting affected by it. Why do you think some places have a smoking section and a non smoking section. They're not stopping you from smoking, you wanna smoke........do it, but not in places where it's not allowed.

In India, smoking is mainly banned in public areas, nobody is preventing you from smoking in your house. Similarly, there's no rule against not wearing a helmet when you ride yor bike within your private premises. But the moment you step out, you have to. There are no 2 ways about it.

You might say that even if you don't wear a helmet, nobody else is getting affected by it. But the truth is that if you meet with an accident tom and crack your head, your parents and everybody who is concerned are gonna point their fingures at the government, saying that the government never made any rule against this and see what it has led to. That's why the government has no choice but to implicate these rules.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th January 2005 at 14:44.
Old 27th January 2005, 15:09   #73
BHPian

I guess we'l keep goin on and on about this..
I am definetly for helmets..
My only point is it just doesn't seem to be wroking when it is bought up as a rule(Atleast as far as Kerala is concerned).. I just dont know why people make a big fuss about it.. If they can afford a bike, they can very well buy a helmet too.. So I guess its not about cost.. Its just that some how they dont want to agree with the Govt(err, really confusing).... Why is there so much protest by the masses.. There were these ridiculous pics as I said before of people putting mud pots on their heads and going on 2-wheelers when this rule came... They were these office going people.. So there is no question of lack of education, i guess... May be like warnings on cigarette packets or alcohol bottles, there should be these warning messages on 2-wheelers which says 'You could die if you r riding without a helmet '.... [Strangest of ideas!!]
I dont think there is going to be an end to this.. If people dont feel their lives would be saved if they have a helmet on, god save these guys... What else to say!!
Old 27th January 2005, 17:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
there should be these warning messages on 2-wheelers which says 'You could die if you r riding without a helmet '.... [Strangest of ideas!!]
good idea but probably the bike wont sell !! ppl mite see that as too negative a comment !! they mite say ride this bike and u die !! baah superstitions !! or we could have it on all bikes - doesnt leave them with a choice !!

But yeah - we could have decals saying - " Ensure Peace of mind for your Family - Wear helmets " or something ??

and what about the banners that were supposed to come up on the site ???

GTO ???
Old 27th January 2005, 17:40   #75
BHPian

Okie we have a signature here this big.. why need a banner!!hehehe...

Last edited by vinsanity : 27th January 2005 at 17:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks