Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 19:34   #46
BHPian

I rode the bike today and it's quick but it could have been a bigger increment. RE can be a bit more imaginative. When I saw the mechanicals they don't look great, I mean no buffed up shiny metal n all, it does not look that attractive. And the body panels are still the same. They could have launched this engine with a more exciting package, it's looking slightly dull. Otherwise, besides the engine I felt the biggest improvement was with the seat ;-), older TBs which I have ridden used to have this hard leather seat. On the other hand the sound of the bike was better than what I expected and am waiting to hear this bike with a short silencer, it will definitely sound better.
Old 27th June 2008, 10:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
wow at last there is some change in the TB.. showroom guys were telling from long time that there would be new engine comming for TB... I am waiting to see the 500cc TB...
the 500cc new style engine will be out for the indian market in 2010 only. right now its only for export.
Old 27th June 2008, 10:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

The gearbox is independent now right?

And for the thump you need the old short bottle silencer.
Old 27th June 2008, 22:59   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The gearbox is independent now right?

And for the thump you need the old short bottle silencer.
well i would not call it independant now, rather its now integrated. earlier it was a seperate bolt on piece, now its part of the main engine casing like the modren bikes.

yeah for the thump a good short silencer will do just fine.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
the 500cc new style engine will be out for the indian market in 2010 only. right now its only for export.
Are U sure about this? Where did U get this Info?

Wonder if this twin spark 350 will have more power and acceleration than the current AVL engined 500LB? Has anyone tested this machine and compared them?
Old 28th June 2008, 12:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Enfields can never improve.
Please stope expecting power from them.

Its still gonna delivery puny 18-19bhp from 350cc, when others around would be zipping past at 25-30 bhp from 300-350cc.

The whole point of Enfiled is sound and road presence. Unfortunately, Enfielf blokes are not realizing this.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:28   #52
BHPian

The Twin Spark Thunderbird is costing 1.08lakhs on road Mumbai, just checked it frm a RE Dealer here and yes 1 bike is on Display at the RE Bandra Showroom and 1 at Soniya Enfield Bhandup, Deliveries start frm August and yes the CI 350 ie the STD350 and the Electra are gonna be phased out by 2009, Sad real Sad.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Are U sure about this? Where did U get this Info?

Wonder if this twin spark 350 will have more power and acceleration than the current AVL engined 500LB? Has anyone tested this machine and compared them?
info is from sources within the factory itself. 500lb is marginally faster than the 350tbts but its a gas guzzling monster. the 500lb avarages just 18-20kmpl whereas the tbts gives around 45kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Enfields can never improve.
Please stope expecting power from them.

Its still gonna delivery puny 18-19bhp from 350cc, when others around would be zipping past at 25-30 bhp from 300-350cc.

The whole point of Enfiled is sound and road presence. Unfortunately, Enfielf blokes are not realizing this.
what enfield has realized is that the ci engine cannot meet the 2009 emission norms and the lb engine cannot meet the proposed 2011 norms. so things have to change and evolve. silencers have become long and the thump is now gone because of noise pollution control norms. the evolution of the enfield is dictated by these things too.

say by 2010, the "good old" enfield engine will be gone and will be replaced by the newer 'uce' design. the lb engine will trickle onto the standard, the uce engine will trickle onto the electra and fi engines will become standard on the tb and the 500 uce fi will be available on the flagship model.

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 28th June 2008 at 23:38.
Old 30th June 2008, 18:50   #54
BHPian

Have you ever felt that the looks & cruising ability of the TB will dramatically change with a slight increase in the wheel base?
Old 30th June 2008, 19:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
Have you ever felt that the looks & cruising ability of the TB will dramatically change with a slight increase in the wheel base?
It will increase straight line stability but handling would become cumbersome. But who cares about handling on cruisers Too long swingarms would induce flex which will throw whatever handling is left right out of the window.

Ideally for a true blue cruiser the Thunderbird should become a little longer (increase front rake instead of swingarm length) and a little lower. As of now the Thunderbird frame/chassis is not meant for cruisers. Enfield chasis design is far from a cruiser's.

After market swingarms are available to increase the wheelbase and they also allow the usage of wide tyres.

Manoj, do you ride motorcycles?

Last edited by Sankar : 30th June 2008 at 19:09.
Old 1st July 2008, 08:40   #56

Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twin/ Yamaha R15

Hi All,

I am a little puzzled about choosing my Bike, Please help!

Ok, so here is my story. I test rode the all New Thunderbird Twin Spark (TBTS) & fallen in luv ever since. I've been riding Pulsar 180 DTSI all this while (4.5 yrs now, appox 45k mileage) & planning to change the same.
I was very excited about going for Yamaha R15 however its looks very tiny when I sit on it (I am 5' 11'') also sounds quite ordinary for the premium price tag, still considering this one.
Alrite, coming back to RE TBTS I got to know about the new engine from ROYAL ENFIELD & was really interested to test ride the same. Thus did a test ride last week, dealer was hesitant initially however after I had a discussion with the Manager I got to ride one for a very short distance.
POSITIVES ABOUT THE BIKE:
1) Thump is muted but still fun to cruise
2) The new seat is very very comfortable to ride
3) Clutch is very smooth, gear shift feel is adequate
4) Though the ride was short I cannot forget the same

NEGATIVES ABOUT THE BIKE:

1) Bike fit & finish should have been better (Paint finish was not properly done on the engine & chassis, when I inquired about the same with the dealer, they claimed that the bike is all hand made so :( was under the impression that hand made stuff is always very good

2) Power delivery is smooth however I could feel vibrations from the engine (@ just 2000 RPM) not sure if this is common with all Bullets

3) The sales person claims that I cannot choose my bike & what is allotted to me from the factory is what I should take (No Choice at all)

4) Chain Guard was making noise, dealer said he has to re-align the same

5) When I tried to kick start the bike, the lever was slipping (dealer claims you should kick it fast) wondering how this can happen on a new bike (just 10kms on the odo)

6) Rear mud guard was not aligned properly

80% of my usage will be in the City & 20% occasional highway rides/cruises

As I mentioned above I luv the bike but a little worried about the fit & finish, quality of the bike & after sales service.

In BANGALORE I will be shelling about 1,06,000/- (INR)

All your comments & suggestions welcome to help me decide on the Bike.

RE THTS or Y R15.

Thanks Much - Sridhar

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2008 at 09:18. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 1st July 2008, 09:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

sridhar_blr80, did you go to the company showroom at Jaynagar 9th block?
Old 1st July 2008, 10:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_blr80 View Post
As I mentioned above I luv the bike but a little worried about the fit & finish, quality of the bike & after sales service.
Those words don't mean anything to ROYAL ENFIELD.Now their after sales service is worse than ever.If you are buying Bullet be prepared to know/learn as much as possible about the bike and be ready for small/major hickups.
BUT YOU WILL ENJOY EVERY KM OF RIDING ON BULLET.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
Doing so would cost RE huge monies.

The thing is that in assembly line, you try to do all things in same fashion.
Same chassis, same body, same internal parts, same dimensions ... even for different models (eg Tata)

If you check all major automakers, they follow the same philosophy.

Heck, even the engine is usually kept the same, they just tune-detune the engine (check Maruti with 1.3L engine).

The reason they do so is to cut cost.

Now if you ask RE to come up with a changed dimensions of TBird, its gonna cost RE a hell lot, becuase they would have to come up with a new assembly line.
Only if they see that they can recover that cost in short time, and, for the long term - if this new product can sell in good volume would they think of doing it.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:54   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
sridhar_blr80, did you go to the company showroom at Jaynagar 9th block?

No Sankar it was at HSR Motors (Close to Mission Road)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks