Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2008, 08:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Oil colour has NOTHING to do with the performance / viscocity of the oil itself.
Use castrol GTX/Magnatec for engine oil.
Use ATF for clutch oil.
Arpandiv's suggestion of lubes is perfect for the Bullet. Just adding to it. When you buy Magnatec make sure it's the 50W oil you buy for the cast iron engine becasue Magnatec comes in both 40W and 50W viscosity.

I tried for ATF in Trivandrm but i couldn't source it. So i settled for Hero Honda's 10-30W engine oil to use in the clutch case.
Old 29th June 2008, 20:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yaar it is real hard to find the Magnatex and GTX... i used it once in my bullet and i liked it... dont ever use Shell and try to keep away from Mobil... the bike runs real hot. last time on the oil change i went for the Shell and changed it after rite 30 KM run cause i alsmost burn my fingre when i touched the engine and then got the Veedol Turbostar it is doing real good...

I know a Lad in chandigarh who uses Syntheic for his ThunderBird. it is the one with the early Avl engines with the 4 speed. the only thing that he said was that he has to top up the oil. and he gets the oil changed at roughly 6000 KM. but again he says that that does not really work any ecnomical for him.

any way what ever you choose just make sure that your oil seals and every thing is well intact and keep checking for the oil level every week if it dips down top it up with a same grade but the brand would not matter but do make sure that you do top it up in time always.

Take care

DD
Old 29th June 2008, 20:53   #18
BHPian

the trick to finding GTX/Magnatec is to ask in shops selling car spare parts!
Veedol Turbostar and penzoil are decent too,but i highly recommend magnatec over them
Old 8th July 2008, 02:43   #19
BHPian

Oil is something I have never compromised. Made sure I changed the oil every 3k without fail. I know its a pain but then its a bullet. All forgiven for the thump. I have over the years become a pro at doing it myself.

BTW has anyone tried out the magnet from Hitchcock. Its a small magnet you fit somewhere inside to capture all the metal particles. Logically a good idea, practically dont know.

Talking about oil, has anyone heard or used upper cylinder oil in a Bullet? its basically some oil you mix with the petrol to lubricate"god knows what."

Also wanted to check if nulon the engine additive is still available?
Old 8th July 2008, 07:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Talking about oil, has anyone heard or used upper cylinder oil in a Bullet? its basically some oil you mix with the petrol to lubricate"god knows what."

Also wanted to check if nulon the engine additive is still available?
It's not really necessary to mix anything with petrol as a lubrication aid in 4 stroke engines because all critical components are lubricated with engine oil. Adding 2t or any oil in petrol would only help to build up the carbon when it burns.

Nulon is still available and i have used it in my Bullet and there were some marginal effects. It helped to reduce a bit of noise from the engine.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It's not really necessary to mix anything with petrol as a lubrication aid in 4 stroke engines because all critical components are lubricated with engine oil. Adding 2t or any oil in petrol would only help to build up the carbon when it burns.

Nulon is still available and i have used it in my Bullet and there were some marginal effects. It helped to reduce a bit of noise from the engine.
How exactly is the nulon used in the 4 strokes i know in the 2 t\strokers it is ment to be added to the petrol and that does the trick.. so should we add the nulon to the Engine oil in the 4 Strokes.. say for instance my bullet
Old 9th July 2008, 01:50   #22
BHPian

desi - yes in a 4 stroke, it is mixed in the engine oil where in 2 strokes it is mixed with petrol/2T oil. I have used something similar to nulon (one imported product from my friend) in my 500 and as Sankar said found a slight difference in engine sound and smoothness.

Never add any oil in fuel tank. It will only help to deposit more carbon. In a 4 stroke engine oil is reaching everywhere it is needed.

I also keep 3K km for oil change. I dont think an expensive synthetic oil is worth for a Bull. Your change interval may change but so is the cost of fuel and this big machine needs 2.25 ltrs. So as many suggested here use a good quality 20-50 oil for your CI engine and keep changing the oil and filter (must) at every 3K kms.

Here is what I follow in terms of oil in my bull
3K - change engine oil and filter
6K (alternate service) - Engine oil + filter + clutch oil and check gearbox oil/grease
12K - all the above + shock oil (I am an avid rider so needs it)

Last edited by redfire : 9th July 2008 at 01:55.
Old 9th July 2008, 15:46   #23
BHPian

Hey Sheshagri, I found some information about the magnet that you were talking about in the hitchcock's motorcycles UK in their website. (Hitchcocks Motorcycles -- Royal Enfield and Amal Parts and Kits) and this is the explaination they give about that "Wonder Magnet"

OIL FILTER MAGNET
A great idea. Simply fits over the oil filter stud and sits inside the filter attracting any ferrous metal particles.

Note: If used with the packing piece it needs to be inserted last.

PART No. DESCRIPTION PRICE
42505 OIL CLEANER MAGNET £ 4.00
ADD
42505 OIL CLEANER MAGNET £ 4.00

I think I should go for one, coz i believe its a great and smart idea!!
Old 9th July 2008, 16:07   #24
BHPian

Well Guys I just got my bike serviced and decided to change the oil currently was running on Motul 300v synthetic. The Bike was serviced at the company workshop and those guys use Veedol drums.

The only choice was to use veedol, till now the only difference i have felt from the previous oil is in the engine noise, earliar the noise was less, performance wise there is no major difference between this oil and Motul.

I found Catrol Magnatec but its 10W40 and doesnt come in 20w50 as told to me by the dealer, could some one please confirm? as i plan to change to castrol as veedol is giving me a lot of racket from the engine.

Cheers
Old 19th July 2008, 11:37   #25
BHPian

Hey Ron 9191,

Let me know how it goes, I have bought several parts from Hitchcock and they are very prompt in their shipping. Never really gave a thought about this magnet. May be will have Allen include this one in his next shipment I order from him.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Shell Advance SX$ fro abut 5k kms now, oil is still doing good ..

Have tried GTX, Magnetec but Shell is doin vry compared to others..

btw am using it on my 500...
Old 19th July 2008, 23:52   #27
BHPian

I also hear about this wonder magnet from many places. As Sheshagiri told, I am also planning to ask Allen to include this for me. Been long time since I contacted him and got something for my bull after 2006.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

But the truth is more than the ferrous particles Aluminium & Bronze particles would be found more circulating in the engine oil as found out by me recently.

And if puting a magnet then you should put two powerful magnets under the Engine oil drain bolt and the filter bolt. Magnet under drain bolt would the keep ferrous particles, if present, from getting into the timing chest. Magnet under the filter bolt would keep ferrous particles from getting into the head feed.

Harddisk magnets would work good, but they're unwieldy.
Old 20th July 2008, 02:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry this may not be the correct thread for the question

Just a question Id the AVL timming cover a direct fit to the STD 350 cause i know that the AVL 350 has a very powerfull oil pump cause it does not use the Plungers it used small gears kind of some thing
Old 20th July 2008, 02:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

It's not a direct fit. But it can be fitted with a little bit of modifications. Couple of new holes has to be drilled in the crankcase to match with the timing cover oil holes. And couple of holes has to be sealed. Some fellows have already done this.

How beneficial this mod would be i can't say. But plunger pumps in good working order is good enough for a stock engine. For modified engines as i have found out, a bigger plunger pump is more than enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks