Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...

Hello BHPians,

I am sure anyone who owns a Bullet goes through this, frequent engine oil changes. Now I don't know whether this is the scene with other Bulleteers but for me the engine oil goes black every 3000kms on the odo.

Now again I've heard that synthetic oils can last longer than that. So can I use synthetic engine oils on my Bullet. Because I ride a lot on it everyday and it is in fact a pain in the butt to drain out the engine oil every 3000km. Please advise.

Cheers!

Ron
Old 24th June 2008, 16:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

3k kms is right interval for oil change in Bullet.

yes you can use synthetic oil in your bullet and it should do well till 5k kms but no experience of that.

still i feel the cost of Synthetic oil is still not justified if compared to mineral oil (in case you are not driving the vehicle to its limits very very often)

for normal driving,mineral oil should do good.

BTW how fast you complete 3k kms ?
Old 24th June 2008, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Well normally in a month and two weeks or so...
Old 24th June 2008, 17:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can get Synthetics for your Bull. But hope you know that they cost 600 or so per lit.

I think its the only bike to have same oil for shocks too.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

3000km is the right time to change your engine oil. Use any good quality 20-50W engine oil.

Synthetics are good and they can be used for a longer duration...but the changing interval i cannot tell you because i myself don't know about it.

I have used Synthetic oil in the bike and I have come back to Mineral oil as i didn't find a marginal difference in performance for the extra money i was spending.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

How much does Bull need?

I remember seeing Mobil semi-syncs for 400-500rs for 4.5lit in Bangy.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How much does Bull need?

I remember seeing Mobil semi-syncs for 400-500rs for 4.5lit in Bangy.
2.25 liters for the engine. 420ml for the clutch, i don't use the 2050W oil in clutch case.

Those are not semi synthetics that you saw, they're ordinary mineral oils by Mobil.
Old 24th June 2008, 19:33   #8
BHPian

Well I going synthetic for the next oil change, I hope the old bull likes new wine
Old 24th June 2008, 20:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am sure anyone who owns a Bullet goes through this, frequent engine oil changes. Now I don't know whether this is the scene with other Bulleteers but for me the engine oil goes black every 3000kms on the odo.

Now again I've heard that synthetic oils can last longer than that. So can I use synthetic engine oils on my Bullet. Because I ride a lot on it everyday and it is in fact a pain in the butt to drain out the engine oil every 3000km. Please advise.
Cheers!

Ron
If you have CI engine you can go for 20w50,but if it is AVL stick to 20w40.By changing oil at 3000km you can keep the engine in very good condition.In my experience bullet engines get max benefit with frequent oil changes compared to any other engines.Also don't forget to change oil filters they cost very less, but if you fail to do so the damage is max.In my opinion Synthetic oils are waste in bullet because it requires frequent change than good oil.

Last edited by mohang_j : 24th June 2008 at 20:03.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the frequent oil change suggestion.

I'll tell you why there is a disadvantage in prolonging the oil change interval in the Bullet by using a synthetic oil.

Synthetic oils have long change intervals and they don't degrade as easily as mineral oils. And oils they keep the metallic particles and dirt in suspension so that the oil filter can do it's job of catching all these contaminants. And as you know the Bullet has an oil filter just for namesake. It's a cotton cloth wrapped around a tubular metal piece with lot of holes. It's a very crude and inefficient filter.

So all these contaminants suspended in the oil is not caught by the filter. And the oil will keep the contaminants that is not removed by the filter in suspension and takes it around the engine forever and ever till you change the oil and pour in fresh oil.

So long oil change intervals provided by the synthetics is actually doing a bad thing for the engine. Synthetics and long intervals would've been great and acceptable if the Bullet had a modern oil filter. In this respect AVLs are better because it has a comparatively modern filter.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
In this respect AVLs are better because it has a comparatively modern filter.
Yes they have better(?) filters,but the design makes them useless.Since it runs lean temperature in motor is high and if you neglect filter even for short time oil flow to the engine reduces a lot and leads to premature motor failure.We should ensure that we buy genune Purolator filter(i think thats the only manufacturer for bullet, if you know any other please let me know).

Last edited by mohang_j : 24th June 2008 at 22:07.
Old 25th June 2008, 01:28   #12
BHPian

Frankly speaking i am no expert in technacalities of the engine, but when i had completed 14500 kms on my bike i opted to use Motul 300v synthetic just to see what the hue and cry about synthetic oils is.

Paid 650 a litre, and till now the only difference i have felt is that there is a consistency in the performance and overall smoothness and that the bike now having done 18400 kms on the odo still runs with the same smoothness it had initially after the oil change.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
still runs with the same smoothness it had initially after the oil change.
Problem with bullet engine is it will have lot of small metal particles due to ware & tare,these particles when mixed with oil act as fine grinding paste/liquid.By changing oil frequently we will make sure those particles come out of engine.Engine will not get proper oil circulation if these particles block the oil filter

Last edited by mohang_j : 26th June 2008 at 12:01.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:48   #14
BHPian

Well guys thanks a lot for all your views. I think Sankar is correct in one way. Coz I have a CI engine and it comes with a namesake oil filter. And I believe that can be really dangerous to go for a longer mileage with the same oil. I really didnt think about the ancient oil filter that goes with these bike. But whether you like a Bullet or not, I personally think its a great machine. Partly because of its reliability and partly because there is nothing in the world that comes in its class today. It is truly a classic.
Old 29th June 2008, 00:04   #15
BHPian

Oil colour has NOTHING to do with the performance / viscocity of the oil itself.
Use castrol GTX/Magnatec for engine oil.
Use ATF for clutch oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks