Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:59   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Just a question Id the AVL timming cover a direct fit to the STD 350 cause i know that the AVL 350 has a very powerfull oil pump cause it does not use the Plungers it used small gears kind of some thing
If you are looking to increase the oil pressure, you should consider Hitchcocks high volume oil pumps. They are expensive but worth the money.
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

hehehe thats funny for me cause you gave the point that puts me off to use Hitchcocks stuff. my bullet 500 surely is going to be a Hitchcocks. i am already planning to get this

Quote:
350cc ALLOY CYLINDER BARREL
For lightness and better heat dissipation. Please note that these cylinders have been through our own stringent 10 point check and rectified in various areas to ensure they are what we consider to be of an acceptable quality.
We also stock unchecked alloy cylinders which have tolerances outside our preferred standards. Whilst Hitchcock’s do not use or endorse these, they do offer a cheaper alternative as a basis for improvement.
i am going to go for the cheap one just want one of my friend to check it before i buy it he would be going to the UK in some days

Last edited by desideep : 23rd July 2008 at 00:29.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Well Guys I just got my bike serviced and decided to change the oil currently was running on Motul 300v synthetic. The Bike was serviced at the company workshop and those guys use Veedol drums.

The only choice was to use veedol, till now the only difference i have felt from the previous oil is in the engine noise, earliar the noise was less, performance wise there is no major difference between this oil and Motul.

I found Catrol Magnatec but its 10W40 and doesnt come in 20w50 as told to me by the dealer, could some one please confirm? as i plan to change to castrol as veedol is giving me a lot of racket from the engine.

Cheers
hey born 2 be wild , i am using Veedol for the last 5 years in my bull without any problem , its the oil that is recommended by the company!!
I would suggest stay away from Castrol until and unless you are getting it from some reliable source since there is lot or duplicate stuff that sells under castrol brand. If you really want smooth noise free engine continue with synthetic oil, although it will be lil expensive but will give you peace of mind!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
hehehe thats funny for me cause you gave the point that puts me off to use Hitchcocks stuff. my bullet 500 surely is going to be a Hitchcocks. i am already planning to get this

i am going to go for the cheap one just want one of my friend to check it before i buy it he would be going to the UK in some days
hey deep, mate get those solid brass badges( http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com...larges0137.jpg) from Hitchcocks for the side boxes, they look really nice was planning to get a pair for myself but then it didn't materialize!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

That 350cc barrels are being made in India... lol Indians pay through their nose in Pounds to get those back to India. Somebody should put Samrat over their lap and start spanking.

Don't spend too much money on the high volume oil pumps.. it's not worth it unless the Bull is extensively modified for more power.

Last but not the least.. many Bull owners in the west are a paranoid lot and everybody thinks their Bull is going to break down if they don't get one of those high volume pumps or alpha roller bearings. For the hitchcock's 40rwhp trail monster all of these parts would be critical to perform reliably.. not for our tame Bulls though.

The lightning 535 had a bigger oil pump, if your 500 is post 2003 then yours has that pump. Anyways all the new Bulls including the STD350 comes with that bigger pump.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:17   #36
BHPian

I second Sankar, no need for spending for highly expensive stuff unless you are going for serious modes like a track setup. A 500 itself with some minor mods is more than enough to smoke any bikes and get a decent enough performance for our roads if you are a fast rider. I ride a 2004 model CI 500, which has complleted 44,000KM in 4 years which inlcudes n number of trips. The last one was a 1000KM (to and fro) trip 2 weeks back. I am a relatively fast rider, cruising 80-90 all the time and ripping 110-120 on good stetches. I once broke my big end bush, but that was half my fault coz of not maintaining correct oil levels and a very abusive usage. I replaced it with a custom bronze bush done at lathe and she is back to normal and doing good. Since I am an avid user and bull is my primary vehicle, I do preventive maintenance and checkups all the time. Oil change at 3K, + clutch and gearbox oil at 6K, shock oil and seal (if needed) at 10-12K, spark plug 12-15K, chain and sprocket, tyres, cables etc at times when required. Procuring and installing good quality stuff is good if you have vitamin M. But thinking every nut/bolt/washer should be white metal or high quality alloy only is not necessary.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Lot of Engine Heating

OK Guys

i thought i should ask you.i have a 3 year old Electra and it runs very hot.

There is very small leak in head gasket which i'm planning to address in next servicing.

This bike has ran 10k kms in 3 years and being serviced every 2k kms.

Service station uses some Veedol oil.

After say 10 mins of spirited riding the engine heats a lot and i can feel it around my foot.

Is it so with all or there is something wrong with my bike ?

Is that small head gasket leak is the culprit here ?

Shall i change the engine oil to some other brand ?

PS : i bought this bike for occasional use and monthly running is 250 kms and i drive it pretty hard.Its able to do 110-120 top speed in all stock config and everything else looks fine except the engine over heating part.

Please advise.

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 23rd July 2008 at 12:45.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:24   #38
BHPian

for a std barrel 350cc, IMHO i dont think that you need a high volume pump. The stock pump does reasonably good job as stated by redfire, i too have covered some 50K km on my 2004 Std and have never faced any major problem. Regular mantainence plays the trick. You take care of your bull and it takes care of you while on road...and moreover an over modified bull, i dont think, can be used efficiently as a regular commuter and for long\short trips.
Same goes for the 500CI, my other bull is also running fine without any hanky panky stuff
I would rather keep the bike stock and if someone wants some improvements that rather playing around with the internals, the lows and mids can be improved by adding a free flow air filter+ GOldie+ Rejetting the carb!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
OK Guys

i thought i should ask you.i have a 3 year old Electra and it runs very hot.

There is very small leak in head gasket which i'm planning to address in next servicing.

This bike has ran 10k kms in 3 years and being serviced every 2k kms.

Service station uses some Veedol oil.

After say 10 mins of spirited riding the engine heats a lot and i can feel it around my foot.

Is it so with all or there is something wrong with my bike ?

Is that small head gasket leak is the culprit here ?

Shall i change the engine oil to some other brand ?

PS : i bought this bike for occasional use and monthly running is 250 kms and i drive it pretty hard.Its able to do 110-120 top speed in all stock config and everything else looks fine except the engine over heating part.

Please advise.
if you are feeling the heat around your legs in summers after a 30 min of hard riding, then i dont think there's anything wrong in the setup!!
Dude simple fact, this iron horse is made to run for 80-90 the whole day...not 110-120
Just to be doubly sure check the plug color, it shudnt be on the whitish side and there should not be a lot of carbon deposit on the plug. Cos if its running lean you are over heating the engine and if its running too rich your wasting the valuable petrol.
If you are taking the bike to Mahadev at sec 10...then tell the guys to change to original gasket (green in color) and not any cardboard type gasket.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

thanks Nickoo

i usually drive it for 15-20 mins a day max.
i will check the plug surely but regarding mileage i dont think anything is wrong.i dont have exact figure but i still think after all the abuse its giving me 30+ which is fine with me.

i go to Mahadev in Sec 10 as there is no on else nearby so will surely tell them to change the gasket(the green one)

my query was that is there anything which can help my bullet engine not to over heat etc.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
thanks Nickoo

i usually drive it for 15-20 mins a day max.
i will check the plug surely but regarding mileage i dont think anything is wrong.i dont have exact figure but i still think after all the abuse its giving me 30+ which is fine with me.

i go to Mahadev in Sec 10 as there is no on else nearby so will surely tell them to change the gasket(the green one)

my query was that is there anything which can help my bullet engine not to over heat etc.
for 15-20 mins a day, the engine should not heat that much i feel you are being skeptical just to be sure get it checked by rehman at mahadev. Don't go to Subash he's an @$$****!!
for longer rides you can add lil say 50 ml of engine oil to a full tank that helps in keeping the engine cool..
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
hey born 2 be wild , i am using Veedol for the last 5 years in my bull without any problem , its the oil that is recommended by the company!!
I would suggest stay away from Castrol until and unless you are getting it from some reliable source since there is lot or duplicate stuff that sells under castrol brand. If you really want smooth noise free engine continue with synthetic oil, although it will be lil expensive but will give you peace of mind!!
The problem now is that as i am going back to college i am going to run a little short of cash so i am not in a position to shell out 650/Rs a Lt for Motul just for my peace of mind.

have sort of got used to the engine running on Veedol now,Btw which mechanic do you use in noida as i tried sanjay in sec-9 and he is an absolute rip off!!!!!! One of my friends has suggested Rehman.
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:21   #43
BHPian

ssunny - 15-20 mins a day is actually not good for a bull, I mean to reach its operating temperature. I sincerely hope you are not doing this - start, rip to 110 kmph straightly and stop after 15-20 mins. This will give you probs as bull needs a warm up and needs to attain some operating temperature. Start her, idle her for atleast one minute (especially in your case) and slowly open her up. And for a 350cc engine, keeping cruising in 110-120 is not recommended. 80-90 will be the best 'non-damage' speed but occasional 110-120 is OK. As nickoo said, if you feel the heat after some time that is fine and is there with this iron horse. Hope you are using a 20-50 oil not 20-40. In hot conditions 20-50 is fine.
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think there has been some confusion.

i usually let the bull warm up and start my drive to office.

Normally i am driving around 80+ and sometimes if i feel the urge and find an open stretch,i cross 100.

but still after 15-20 mins of driving,i feel the engine is hot.

Now as per your comments,i will change the head gasket and get the spark plugs checked and lets see how it goes.

Thanks all for their inputs
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
The problem now is that as i am going back to college i am going to run a little short of cash so i am not in a position to shell out 650/Rs a Lt for Motul just for my peace of mind.

have sort of got used to the engine running on Veedol now,Btw which mechanic do you use in noida as i tried sanjay in sec-9 and he is an absolute rip off!!!!!! One of my friends has suggested Rehman.
i went to sanjay once just for oli change since the agency was closed!! Didnt find him worthy of paying...just got the engine oil changed and got the locks changed...tht fool doesnt even knw that one should buy the lock of the same series..since the battery lock is not with the after market OEM lock set!!

Rehman is decent...but dnt let Subhash touch your bike. he screwed me badly once and i had a seizure, that was the last time i went to Mahadev ppl..the uncle is every ready to rip off ur wallet and the mota also believes in drilling a hole but in a very sweet way!! I once got crank bush rebuild and had to pay the, around 4K for the same..a total rip off i must say. They dont open thier shop before 10.30-11.00 and then by 6 they wind up their stuff. Never ever leave the bike there for getting it serviced. I have witnessed it in front of my eyes..they just replaced the engine oil+ oil filter for a guy whom they had promised to deliver the bike in the evening courtesy Subhash!! I had twice complained about them to RE and only when their service engineer came they rectified the issue. Once they gave me a duplicate foot rest rubber for the price of the original i took the bill and after that..told them to remove the rubber sign it across and give it to me so that i can show the RE people! Second time there was some problem with the shocker (under warranty) and uncle was not willing to replace the spare part, i again called the RE guy and then he replaced it.
I no longer visit them, only in the case of emergencies and for minor repairs do i go there!! I have been going to ESS AAR motors at paharganj for the last 2.5 years and believe me if you go there on a working day, you'll come back satisfied although for simple servicing you can go on Saturdays but only with prior appointment.

I am just narrating my personal experience if you are satisfied with the kind of work they do please ignore what all you have read!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks