Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 17:45   #16
BHPian

H3lios: The choice we had in Bangalore for 3.25X16s were between MRF (Nylogrip and Nylogrip Moto-D), Dunlop (JAP or something) and Ceat (Secura Sport). Of late though, production of all MRF tyres of that size has been stopped, so the other two brands remain.

Of these, the Dunlops offer phenomenal grip due to them being of a softer compound. However, this means shorter tyre life of maybe 15-20k km. These tyres were offered on the Yezdi when new.
The Ceat tyres have a unique tread pattern which extends onto the sidewall, hence providing excellent cornering characteristics. Medium compound, hence better life than the Dunlops. The MRFs (if u can find old stock anywhere) are the hardest compound hence longest life, but bloody disappointing performance. I personally wouldnt recommend MRFs to anyone (especially the Moto-D, unless you're suicidal).

So those are your choices. Someone i know has fitted a slightly wider tyre (Enticer i think) onto the standard rear rim, so you could look into that option.

The speciality of the Jawa and Yezdi motorcycle is that the wheels are inter-changeable, unless you've got a ribbed tyre in the front, which is unadvisable on wet or uneven roads.

So those are your obvious choices if you're not planning on rim mods. The 19" Monarch wheels could be fitted on the Roadking, but require the swingarm of the Monarch too i think. Will confirm that.

So after all the rambling, my personal recommendation is the Ceat Secura Sport for both front and rear. Dunlops are next, if you're ok with their lower lifespan.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 31st August 2010, 10:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
.....my personal recommendation is the Ceat Secura Sport for both front and rear. Dunlops are next, if you're ok with their lower lifespan.

Cheers
Rahul
Thanks a bunch Rahul, for that succinct overview of available options. I will check with both CEAT & Dunlop dealers. I am ok with the lower lifespan - more keen on grip and ride comfort (I assuming that the softer tire will also give a smoother ride). In the end pricing and availability will decide.

Thanks again.
Teja
Old 6th February 2011, 11:18   #18
BHPian

Re: Rare need....tyres for my yezdi.

I got a 1974 yezdi last week. It's tyres were in a real mess. MRF, ceat, Dunlop tyres were not available. But I found that a tyre co names speedways still makes yezdi tyres. Just bought two of them for Rs 1200 each.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I got a 1974 yezdi last week. It's tyres were in a real mess. MRF, ceat, Dunlop tyres were not available. But I found that a tyre co names speedways still makes yezdi tyres. Just bought two of them for Rs 1200 each.
'74 Yezdi? Do mean Jawa? AFAIK it was still Jawa back in '74. Earliest Yezdi I know of is a '78. '77 gets a bit murky but I've come across a '76 Jawa and a few '74s
Old 8th February 2011, 20:00   #20
BHPian

Ok this is the gaadi. The meter says Yezdi. Tank logo says Yezdi. And RC books says 74 model. Is it Jawa or Yezdi??? Just went down and took the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rare need....tyres for my yezdi.-06022011224.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 8th February 2011 at 20:28.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:49   #21
BHPian

RT13,
1974-75 was the first production year for the Yezdi (or the Model B specifically) though there was a 1974 model of the Jawa. This was the year the knee rubbers were featured on the tank of the Jawa.

Attached is a pic of a pretty original 1974 tank-pad Jawa. I'm guessing you know whose this is

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Rare need....tyres for my yezdi.-8216_1169484531615_1663023553_407725_3741995_n.jpg  

Old 11th February 2011, 15:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Ok this is the gaadi. The meter says Yezdi. Tank logo says Yezdi. And RC books says 74 model. Is it Jawa or Yezdi??? Just went down and took the pic.
Thats a Type B all right. And a nicely maintained one by the hazy looks of it Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
RT13,
1974-75 was the first production year for the Yezdi (or the Model B specifically) though there was a 1974 model of the Jawa. This was the year the knee rubbers were featured on the tank of the Jawa.

Attached is a pic of a pretty original 1974 tank-pad Jawa. I'm guessing you know whose this is

Cheers!
Bugger!!!!!!!! Don't tell me you bought this one?!?!

She's a beauty! Really! Haven't seen one in such good condition. Which oversize? You still in Bangalore? Waiting for that manual dude!
Old 12th February 2011, 03:19   #23
BHPian

Yup, it is a very well maintained bike. Comes to life in a few kicks even if the bike is not touched for days. Just have to change the make shift seat!!!
Old 12th February 2011, 21:46   #24
BHPian

Nice looking bike Lee! good to know the engine's in decent nick. Hope to see her when I'm in Pune.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:54   #25
BHPian

Just wanted to share some good news for the Yezdi lovers.

I was in JC road, bangalore in search of yezdi rear tyre (3.25x16) and found out many options.

1. CEAT Secura Sport (Rear) 3.25x16
2. Dunlop
3. MRF Moto-D
4. Michelin - Yes it is available !

The price has gone up marginally, the CEAT and Dunlop are in the range of 2000- 2300.

I opted for Michelin one (zapper style), got it for 1700 without tube.

Does anyone has any clue from where I can get a ribbed tyre for the front?
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 21:08   #26
BHPian

Dude, I bought a Dunlop for 900 bucks from a shop in Nana Peth, Pune. Guess they are overcharging in Bangalore. Speedway is also available here. It is a little on the expensive side 1300 bucks
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:56   #27
BHPian

I know they are overcharging bro, but what to do, we don't have much options.

Kindly let me know if the ribbed ones are also available there .
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:30   #28
BHPian

Go for 17" and MRF Moto D. In case that is not available, go for Ceat Vertigo Sports. Both are excellent tyres. for the front, try and see if you can get Ceat Secura Sport for the front.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Go for 17" and MRF Moto D. In case that is not available, go for Ceat Vertigo Sports. Both are excellent tyres. for the front, try and see if you can get Ceat Secura Sport for the front.
I already got michelin for the rear and looking for ribbed one for the front. Both are on OEM rim, 16inch and I don't want to change that.

AFAIK, Moto-D has the worst grip among all.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I already got michelin for the rear and looking for ribbed one for the front. Both are on OEM rim, 16inch and I don't want to change that.

AFAIK, Moto-D has the worst grip among all.
That may be the case in smaller sizes, I have Moto D on my bullet 4.25/18" and trust it is doing extremely good on and road and off-road both.

By the way, aren't you getting ribbed one easily?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks