Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 15:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Please put up the photos man

Age is not a deciding factor with Bullets.
Sankar the owner's of the 88 and 89 bullets weren't really keen on me taking snaps for whatever reasons. Maybe I will give it another shot this weekend.

As for the Electra I have mailed the owner asking for a few pics and once I have it, it will be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Are you bent upon a KA only bike?
Yes Santosh.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
With due respect to all TB owners and seeking advance apologies for some atrocious comments - that motorcycle is not recognised as a Bullet, if at all it is recognised as a motorcycle in the first place.
If you want to ride a piece of history buy a good old fashioned 350 cc Bullet and repair it and then learn its character. If you want convenience of two-wheeling and dependebility - go for a Japanese bike.
Don't ride an ugly mish-mash of the two, which the TB is. There is neither any thunder in it, nor is it a bird.
I dont think there was much respect given here to any Non-RE bike owner.
I agree the point you are trying to make that a TB is not as historic or as significant as a good old Royal Enfield Bullet-350.

Point taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
But as people say, these are some things people learn to live with. Loyal RE fans hate ThunderBird more because it has the gear on the right side unlike other bullets. But I am told that the new twin spark TB is a good buy.
I dont see why they have to be so racial about it. Its the same pushrod type engine or whatever you call it.

For people like me, who have been riding with the gear on the left for over 12 years, would it not be difficult to ride a bike with brake on the left? (esp worried about emergency braking situations)

If I can overcome that, I would be glad to buy a nicely priced 60/70s bullet. Only gripe I have is I would like to have Disc Brake and gas shocks set up as I had set my mind on a TB or Electra 5S. With prices of the TB and E 5S ranging in the 50-70k mark its out of my budget for a second bike. (wont be selling my RX in the next 40 odd years)

Quote:
A Bullet is a Bullet is a Bullet - whether it comes with a disc brake or not, self start or not.
By the way, if a Bullet refuses to start whether it has a self start or selfless start - it will not start. lol. When conditions are right, my five year old daughter can start it.
A Bullet is a Bullet is a Bullet, so hope you have not issues with the Royal Enfield Electra, which has a self start, disc brake and gas shocks.

Dont want to start another thread.

What to look out for in a 60s RE? Anyone selling one with Disc and Gas shocks

Last edited by IronWolf : 19th November 2008 at 20:01.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Yes Santosh.
Ok, Coz I am from Hosur and you get real cheap bull's down south, only KA guys have a busted nerve to quote crazy prices for a bull. My mech got a 18K 2nd hand bull and spent another 20 to make it real good. I will try to put some pics this wkend. I also ride a TN(diesel) bull, i have paid the LTT for KA and no cops catch me. See the work done by him (in pics) and feel free to approach my mech for a check on the bike. Only if you have decided on the bike.

Note - a bull's outside skin mean NOTHING. However rusted and abused it may look on the outside, its the engine-clutchcase-gearbox combination that needs to work perfect and gives MOST issues Plz dont get fooled by looks, while on a TD - make sure it pulls perfect, and doesnt give 'strange/muted' noises. Do you have a trusted 'bulleteer' to help you choose the bike???
Old 21st November 2008, 15:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

santosh thanks for the heads up buddy.

Quote:
Note - a bull's outside skin mean NOTHING. However rusted and abused it may look on the outside, its the engine-clutchcase-gearbox combination that needs to work perfect and gives MOST issues Plz dont get fooled by looks, while on a TD - make sure it pulls perfect, and doesnt give 'strange/muted' noises. Do you have a trusted 'bulleteer' to help you choose the bike???
Aye aye captain, I know what I need to be looking for and I have a friend who is a veteran bulleteer helping me, mind you he still rides around on a 1962 RE hotrod(what I call it).
I have let go off the 89 and the 88 models I saw, insane prices quotes by the owners.
The Electra 5S owner still has to get back to me.

So the saga of searching continues and if you find any let know. If nothing works I will go get myself a brand new STD 350 .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 21st November 2008 at 15:47.
Old 21st November 2008, 17:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the saga of searching continues and if you find any let know. If nothing works I will go get myself a brand new STD 350.
1) see if you can pitch in a bit more for a non-CB ignition bullet, not sure whats the next model, may be the electra with 4Spd. i.e if you want a new one, else...
2) Also, any alumunium bored engine aka the AVL's A350 based engines are least trouble givers. Watch out for the 1st edition A350 machismo, the ignition system was a flop and gave many troubles. Any later models including the TB was a HIT with no-issues.(@least major)
Old 21st November 2008, 21:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
So the saga of searching continues and if you find any let know. If nothing works I will go get myself a brand new STD 350.
You can always buy a STD 350 and remove the CB points. i am sure SANKAR would be able to shed more light on this one.

the way to do it is 1200 Gandhis. you buy a CB point replace ment kit and shove it on your Bike and there you go. the only benifit that the STD 350 has over the electras is that it is customizeable when it comes to engine tunning cause one can advance or retard the timming for the KMPL or performance. and that stays there even if you remove the points. and good thing is that where you still retain the ability to customize the settings you dont really have to go through the hassel of Burnt points or the points settings...
Old 21st November 2008, 22:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Rear shocks are way better in electra's.
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All you bulleteers I need help. Am looking at picking up a RE for myself and have zeroed in on 3 bikes.

1 - Bullet Standard 1988 model
2 - Bullet Standard 1989 model

Just yesterday found a Electra with self start for sale, a 2006 model with 10k on the odo. The owner is quoting 70k, what do you chaps think ?
RJS
It's a question of why you want to buy a Bullet.
If it's for the sake of plain good old machismo (not Machismo, mind you) and everything else that goes with it without too much of the headache that come with an old design (pre-electronics age) bike, then I suppose the third one is a good choice though the price is a tad too high.
But if you want to blend a little bit of love for the vintage, love for old world charm and style along with some machismo, then you should go for the 80s models.
I am not passing any value judgement on which one is better. Both the reasons are very strong human emotions. Choose whichever appeals to you. However, what I hate (and I am sure you would agree) is some people's inclination to buy an old bike at a throwaway price and then modding it to make it modern and creating a eunuch which is neither here nor there, in the process !!
Doing that, I think, with a Bullet is a ridiculous murder of history.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:58   #39
BHPian

:)

Finally.i bought a second hand Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 5S and am very very happy to own my own Royal Enfield.....

its a 2006 model.run only 1900 Kms so far which is very very shocking....the owner just bought it for mere fun and then never bothered to take care of it....

Done a service today .oil change, air filter change..oil filter change.petrol pipe change....
and
in the end....washing and now my bull is ready to ROAR.its already roaring.the thumps.mmmm i love it. the sound is so good that i cant xplain.
Well guys, i want to thank you all for your support...i really got some useful piece of information.T-BHP simmply ROCKS

Moderatator's note: Please avoid using excessive punctuation.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:21   #40
BHPian

congrats street rage!!! on your new bull!!! have fun and maintain her properly!!
Old 24th November 2008, 10:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

Congrats.

The electra 5S comes with a 3.25 rear tire.
Most of the other enfields get a 3.5.

The broader tire gives you more grip but will cause a slight drop in speed and milage.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congrats streetrage911! What was the cost of the bullet?
Old 24th November 2008, 15:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations my brother. Welcome to the club. Take care of your bull and she will take care of you. Treat her well and she will treat you well. But above all, know her well - inside out. Last but not the least - don't expect her to be a "never fails on the road" Japanese wonder.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:28   #44
BHPian

Club!!!

Hey streetrage!!
Do remember to post the pics of your ride in the thread

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please

Cheers!!cheers:
Old 30th November 2008, 00:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Congrats streetrage911! What was the cost of the bullet?
i got it for 53K

Quote:
Congratulations my brother. Welcome to the club. Take care of your bull and she will take care of you. Treat her well and she will treat you well. But above all, know her well - inside out. Last but not the least - don't expect her to be a "never fails on the road" Japanese wonder.
Sudipto now i know what you were talking about before about TB

Anyways, thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2008 at 10:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks