Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 14:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks Dinar. I'v never had engine overheating problems. I guess the long fins do their job quite well. And as of now, I mosty use bikes only in the evenings and nights... when temp. is much lower... so that could be a factor too, in me hardly experiencing a really hot engine.

I wont be travelling on highways most of the times. Most of the times its on city roads, which are esp. horrible, especially during monsoons. And yes, that means performance in wet is VERY important. The stock tyres are worse than horrible in this area... so if I go for replacement tyres which are bad in this regard too, then it negates the purpose of changing them! I guess I'll just stay away from Zappers.

Not over heating in the scene, after long rides and stuff, just start the bike whenever you want to, keep it idling for awhile [measured time] and than after fiddling with the air screw, start the bike in same condition and see, if the engine heats up more than what it use to than you'll have problems while riding [due to leaning of the mixer too much]. just check this and your set with what ever you want do with the tuning.
By the way if your looking for grip level close to your CBZ than you won't get it on a shogun with any of the Indian tyres. You can make it stable comparatively to what it is now. As I said the bike is light and short for the power delivery characteristic of the engine. you get all the torque/power after 6000rpm [peak torque at 7500rpm and power at 8500rpm, I belive correct me if I am wrong], so the bike will always be a lil on the edge.
Thats what I miss now a days... And looking at what your needs are stay away from zappers, simple if you need some stablity get one up size tyres for the bike.
Every once riding style is different so every one perfres different tyres , so look at what you want from the bike and choose.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

I dont wanna deviate from the stock size. Wider tyres will mean lesser pick-up and mileage, which I dont want. Evern othewise, everthing in my bike is 100% stock... so dont wanna change that.

As for the heating issue... I now you are talking about a comparision... but generally speaking, like I said, I'v not experienced what I can call "overheating" of the engine, no matter how I'v set the carb in the past. The gearbox side hardly even gets warm on short to medium rides. In fact my CBZ runs much hotter, overall!!
Old 9th January 2009, 18:18   #33
BANNED

@dinar: The four electrode spark plug is a joke. It has 4 less resistant side electrodes instead of one. Maintain your single electrode spark plug well and you are good.

What it does is gives a longer life to your spark plug or like raccoon said probably spark at the optimum electrode.

You dont get 4 sparks

For tuning the carb i think yo ushould try what is outlined after Hrag's note. I havent "tuned" a VM20SS but i think the process outlined is the right way to go about. You dont have much to loose.

I am considering stock jets here.
Old 9th January 2009, 23:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey spitfire, I have sold my bike long back, but I had these pulg than and on a shogun they performed better than the stock once, The when taking the bike for real trashing it's addad advantage [from experiance], Keeping the plug gap for long durations is very difficult in shogun .
Nobody said it gives 4 sparks.
@Raccoon the new 4 strokes run anyways hot, I have found the smae with my pulsar. If you do not have any heating issues than go for it buddy. As for up sizes tyres there are 3.25 available not much of a differentce in pickup and millage. I am not saying the 90/100s they do not fit between the swingarm anyways. max you can go is 3.25.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Anybody has any experience or comments about ARL tyres and tubes? A dealer who is a v good friend's friend is strongly recommending them, and at a cheaper price.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

ARL tyres? new to me.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Exactly... haven't heard of them myself. But the dealer is STRONGLY recommending them for the best mix of grip, durability and price. And cus of the personal relation, its highly unlikely that there is an ulterior motive for recommending them.

Would really like to know if anyone has any experience with them.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:06   #38
Team-BHP Support

Google found this :: : Welcome to "Agarwal Rubbers Limited" : ::

Have never heard of them before.

quite a tacky line, Inspired by Concern.

Last edited by bblost : 4th February 2009 at 18:07.
Old 5th February 2009, 02:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... it seems nobody has any experience with them? I'm gonna be inspired by concern about their quality now...
Old 5th February 2009, 10:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Since they are from AP, bhpian from AP may be able to help.by the way how are they priced? if they are cheap there's no harm in trying, if not satisfied remove and keep as spare tyres.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

They are a bit cheaper - Rs. 600 and 800, front and rear. I forgot if the price includes the tube or not. If it dosent include, the prices are nearly the same as TVS. In that case I think I'd feel safer with TVS... since it seems nobody has any experience with ARL tyres. I was told they have 1 year unconditional warranty though.

Spare tyres for a bike?? What on earth would I do with them? I want decent tyres to be on the bike... hence the research... dont wanna start collecting spares! :S
Old 5th February 2009, 15:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

I mean , keeping it as backup. If you try getting these and do not like it. I think the price will be without tube.And so that get some reputed brand.
Old 21st March 2009, 02:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Finally got down to changing the rear tyre at least. Actually went thru quite a fiasco...

Was near the Nana Peth area (area in Poona where you get everything auto related)... so thought of going there as prices ther are supposed to be lowest. Checked out couple shops, didn't find prices that competitive... finally found this shop owned by a Sardarji (Guru Nanak Auto Spares or something). He quoted Rs. 725 for Dunlop Challenger which was the cheapest quote, so went for went for it. Now the catch was the guy passed off a 2.75 x 18 (which obviously costs less) tyre instead of 3.00 x 18 tyre. I had clearly told him its for Shogun and stock size is 3 x 18. Either he mixed the wrong size with tyres of right sizes while showing me, or changed the tyre before handing it over to me. And the most amazing thing is that he gave me a sealed Dunlop tube of size 3.00 x 18! So finally what I had was a 3.00 x 18 tube in a 2.75 x 18 tyre... which is damn unsafe!! I figured out all this trechery when I got home and checked! Its not easy to tell the size difference; esp. at night.

Went right back to him next day and created a small scene. But he totally washed his hands off the deal and refused to admit he had done anything wrong. To top it, he tried to convince me that the smaller tyre makes absolutely no difference and I will also get better fuel efficiency! Not to get into details, but from the way they were talking and arguing it was very clearly that this was all planned! Also, its amazing how little these guys know about the products they sell. They didn't even know where/how the manufacturing date is embossed on tyres... other things aside! They are only intrested in selling by hook or crook, swindling and making money anyhow. If there is anybody from Pune, please beware of such shops!

Finally found another tyre dealer near area and he agreed to by the day old tyre for Rs. 225 less than my purchase price. I retained the 3 x 18 tube and bought a Dunlop Challenger 101 tyre of the same size.

The tyre is too new for me to give proper review, but frankly I'm not really impressed with it. I feel that the Challenger was better than the Challenger 101. The Challenger is an ordinary looking tyres with lateral sipes. The Challenger 101 looks fancier and is uni-directional (see pic). For grip and overall feel, I felt the ordinary looking Challenger to be better. If anybody is planning to buy a Dunlop, I'd recommend the Challenger over then Challenger 101 anytime. Don't fall for the looks, LOL! No experience with wet grip on either tyre though.

Anyway, I once again learnt the lesson that its better to pay more and get stuff from reputed/known places rather than waste more time and money later on.

One thing I noticed at the 2nd dealer who bought my day old tyre is they spread some kinda white powder in the tyres before they put in the tube. I asked them what it was and they said they had no idea. They claimed it kept the tyre/tube cooler! I asked them if they had the container for the powder. They said it is bought "loose" from tyre shops... and they dont have the original container for it. Anybody has any idea what this powder is?? I just hope its not detrimental to rubber in any way...
Attached Thumbnails
Best tyres for Suzuki Shogun?-dunlop-challenger-101-190309.jpg  

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st March 2009 at 02:18.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I noticed at the 2nd dealer who bought my day old tyre is they spread some kinda white powder in the tyres before they put in the tube. I asked them what it was and they said they had no idea. They claimed it kept the tyre/tube cooler! I asked them if they had the container for the powder. They said it is bought "loose" from tyre shops... and they dont have the original container for it. Anybody has any idea what this powder is?? I just hope its not detrimental to rubber in any way...
what a bunch of morons! That is chalk powder! It is used in ALL tubetype tyres. 4-wheeler and 2-wheeler. It is mainly used to prevent too much friction between the tube and the tyre. If they dont know even that much, they shouldnt even be in the business! Today, it is something harmless, tomorrow they might be doing something worse and not know why they are doing it!
Old 21st March 2009, 16:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Chalk powder!!? Intresting! He said they even use it to keep cocroaches and other vermin away!

Well, thats the problem with most shop keepers... and a lot of mechanics, etc. But other things aside, they dont even understand one simple thing - just stick to specifications!

Quote:
Today, it is something harmless, tomorrow they might be doing something worse and not know why they are doing it!
They v obviously arent intrested in all that... as long as they make money, everything is right! lol!!

BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Found something intresting - it seems this tyre (Challenger 101) is a "copy" of TVS's Dragon. TVS has sued Falcon Tyres for this... SC rejects TVS plea, directs expeditious hearing in HC- Tyres-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st March 2009 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks