Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 01:00   #1
BHPian

My T-RX - Street Build from RX135 (Update & Pics on Pg.2)

Hi guys,

Ive got a RX135 5speed and I want to make it into a cafe racer. Am pretty serious about it. Even sold off my Pulsar 200 for the funds. Right now am going to do only the cosmetics and brakes + tires. The performance mods will come up in mid may. Need your help in some small issues,

1. Does the tank need to be extended as in the other cafe racers I saw on the forum? How do I go about getting a seat cowl fabricated?
2. Is it possible to put a dualtone horn (like a Skoda)?
3. Are Pulsar disk+fork assembly a safe option for breaking? Am considering the rtr setup too but I feel its turning out to be much more expensive.
4. I want to have a very powerful HL. Which bulb and reflector should be a best combo and what other alterations should be made to the electricals?
5. I want a nice analogue tacho and speedo (in chrome). Which would be a direct fit and the cost?
6. Regarding the handlebar, its going to be either a clubman bar or clip ons, which is better and what precautions must be taken?
7. Rearsets, how did you get them made, how much it costs and what should be kept in mind?
8. I want a small tiny ellipsoidal tail light. something like what V12 has on his Enfield. Which one is that?
9. Ive decided to go for a Michelin M45 rear (if i manage to find one). Which is the best for the front?

Would be great if you all help me out in building this wonderful bike.

Thanks,
Sagar.
Old 19th March 2009, 01:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

all my replies are in bold man, and now one question, what happened to your car hunt???, and if you are going to build this you will need to come to koti for the parts now and then.

and more over do you have the time and patience now at this point of time?

well anyway all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Hi guys,

Ive got a RX135 5speed and I want to make it into a cafe racer. Am pretty serious about it. Even sold off my Pulsar 200 for the funds. Right now am going to do only the cosmetics and brakes + tires. The performance mods will come up in mid may. Need your help in some small issues,

1. Does the tank need to be extended as in the other cafe racers I saw on the forum? How do I go about getting a seat cowl fabricated?

there are a couple of guys in koti who do fibre glass works they should help you with the sear cowl, tank just leave it as it is.

Get the roots windtones they are stock skoda sounding ones.

3. Are Pulsar disk+fork assembly a safe option for breaking? Am considering the rtr setup too but I feel its turning out to be much more expensive.

for this you will need FZ-16 fork-set. i guessing it would work out the best, alond with the disc of your choice and caliper set suiting the best.

4. I want to have a very powerful HL. Which bulb and reflector should be a best combo and what other alterations should be made to the electricals?

TVS Fiero FX is the best in the market that i see and its made by fiem and use a 35W stock bulb if still unsatisfied go for a HID in the same reflector.

5. I want a nice analogue tacho and speedo (in chrome). Which would be a direct fit and the cost?

the same can be picked up from koti i mean the outer cover with chrome finish, but the odo and rpm of a pulsar's should do.

6. Regarding the handlebar, its going to be either a clubman bar or clip ons, which is better and what precautions must be taken?

try the FZ-16 again.

7. Rearsets, how did you get them made, how much it costs and what should be kept in mind?

they have to be custom made based on how you want them.

8. I want a small tiny ellipsoidal tail light. something like what V12 has on his Enfield. Which one is that?

pm v12

9. Ive decided to go for a Michelin M45 rear (if i manage to find one). Which is the best for the front?

same man different size thats all.

Thanks,
Sagar.
Old 19th March 2009, 13:15   #3
BHPian

There are already 3 threads on RX modifications. Please check them before starting new threads.

Mods - please look into this.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
There are already 3 threads on RX modifications. Please check them before starting new threads.

With no offense meant to anyone, when we can have "n" number of threads for car and jeep mods, why not on the bike? Like all unique jeeps, cars, the bike mod is also unique.

My view.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
With no offense meant to anyone, when we can have "n" number of threads for car and jeep mods, why not on the bike? Like all unique jeeps, cars, the bike mod is also unique.

My view.
It doesn't make sense. If I post something or start off a new topic which has the slightest relevance to something else either the thread is closed or my post edited/deleted. And the mods now allow this to happen.

Why do they seem to have a problem with me. Or is it a FRK thing because we guys are pretty used to getting this from everyone else. If the mods want to throw me off the forum then do it. Dont keep me here and have me watch this injustice.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post

1) Extended tank + rear footpeg + clip ons would give you the natural lean forward position.

3) RTR setup would be more cool and has better feedback. Pulsar brakes bite hard.

5) Like the headlamps go for Fiero Fx2 speedo and tacho, they come in chrome pods.

7) keep the rear brake linkages simple and straight.

8) That's a goldstar replica taillamp. You'll get similar shaped Minda ones too. Check in enfield shops. Some tractor share the same minda tail lamps.

9) Zapper FS is good.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I did have a read through those threads totally. There they have mentioned what they have done to their bikes and how they built it. Now this thread is not on what I have done to my bike but on what to do on it. Its a thread for suggestions. I need help on how to build it. I dint find a single thread on HOW to build one as such but a few on how they got built. I have PM'ed Gordon and V12 regarding those. This thread is just an input for ideas on what to do for my bike.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense. If I post something or start off a new topic which has the slightest relevance to something else either the thread is closed or my post edited/deleted. And the mods now allow this to happen.

Why do they seem to have a problem with me. Or is it a FRK thing because we guys are pretty used to getting this from everyone else. If the mods want to throw me off the forum then do it. Dont keep me here and have me watch this injustice.
I dont see anything wrong with this thread. Please read my reply in the above quote. Please dont take arguments personally on other threads and hijack it. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
all my replies are in bold man, and now one question, what happened to your car hunt???, and if you are going to build this you will need to come to koti for the parts now and then.

and more over do you have the time and patience now at this point of time?

well anyway all the best!
Car is coming too. And trust me, its very soon. Got the time and patience mate

I was thinking about the FZ/R15 option for the break setup but the availability of the spares is a big pain. So I was considering the pulsar/RTR option as they are very easy to procure.

As of now, I wont go for HID and donated my kit to my friend too. Will go for a 90/100 bulb in a better reflector after coil rewound. Thinking about the Swaraj Mazda reflector. Was also thinking, can the Tata Ace HL be fixed? Its bloody bright and blinds everyone

I want the bike to be all chrome. So hence the FZ handlebar is out unless I chrome paint it. Am confused between clubman and clipons. I personally prefer the clubman but how easy is it to use?

The rearsets have to be custom made, agreed. Can you help me where I can get them done?

The tailight is a BSA one, now where can I get that? Any leads?
Old 19th March 2009, 17:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
1) Extended tank + rear footpeg + clip ons would give you the natural lean forward position.

3) RTR setup would be more cool and has better feedback. Pulsar brakes bite hard.

5) Like the headlamps go for Fiero Fx2 speedo and tacho, they come in chrome pods.

7) keep the rear brake linkages simple and straight.

8) That's a goldstar replica taillamp. You'll get similar shaped Minda ones too. Check in enfield shops. Some tractor share the same minda tail lamps.

9) Zapper FS is good.
Am a little skeptical about the longer tank actually. If someone can PS a stock 135 with stock tank and rear cowl. I mostly will go for the RTR setup only, more inclined towards that. How much do the tacho, speedo and HL of the fx2 cost and does it need any alteration to the electrical? Because the stock does not have a tacho. So how do I out it on? Will check on that taillight this weekend.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can get a lot of help from This Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 21:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

who ever said getting yamaha spares is difficult, trust me they are more easier to procure than the TVS/Honda spares these days.

just check a few shops, you are better off with FZ-16 not R-15 because the fork-set is much much more sturdier.

EDIT: if you seriously have time then come down to KOTI and lets see what can be done, you know you wont get all the parts required anywhere near your place anyway.

Last edited by rider60 : 19th March 2009 at 21:12.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
who ever said getting yamaha spares is difficult, trust me they are more easier to procure than the TVS/Honda spares these days.

just check a few shops, you are better off with FZ-16 not R-15 because the fork-set is much much more sturdier.

EDIT: if you seriously have time then come down to KOTI and lets see what can be done, you know you wont get all the parts required anywhere near your place anyway.
I was at Koti the whole time yesterday. Got a new crash guard and lock set. Today, Ive put the grips of a R-15, perfect fit!

Went to Pearl Yamaha and checked the availability of the fork for both the FZ-16 and R-15, neither are available and they have no clue when it will arrive also. Besides, nowadays all the FZs forks have an issue of repeated oil seal leakages. And I dont feel the necessity of suck a sturdy fork as the bike is much lighter and even the front tire isnt as big as the FZ's.

This Sat, am going to have a word with a fabricator about the cowl, seat and the rearsets , and with my mechanic about the fork and disk assembly tom evening.

Am confused about whether to go for clipons or clubman handlebar.

Taking it one after the other, the first priority as of now is the fork and disk. Pulsars and RTR are available off the shelf. The Yamaha are not available in the showroom or in the spare parts shops in Koti or even Nakoda.

Last edited by furioussphinx : 19th March 2009 at 21:41.
Old 20th March 2009, 21:47   #12
BHPian

This thread seems to be dead. Sad :(

Update : Got new R15 handlebar grips and an Autopal Headlight unit. Agenda for this weekend, disk assembly, tires, spark plug.

Am still confused whether to go for clubman handlebar or clipons. Will be talking to a fabricator tom regarding the rearsets and the cowl.
Old 20th March 2009, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

I didn't get any PM. Anyways,

Quote:
Like Sankar said, when you extend the tank you automatically are in a cafe racer position, but you WILL lose the pillion. Getting rearsets done ALSO will lose the pillions comfort and practicality. A pillion will be impossible AND impractical.

If you require a seat/cowl I can get one done for you. My rearsets are ready for the gear side, but the brake side is still not perfect.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Are you looking for psuedo clip-ons or direct fork-mounted clip-ons?! Clubman may suit you better since they can clear the tank. Fork-mounted clip ons will touch the tank, but you can weld stoppers so that the turning radius is decreased.

Quote:
Rearsets are a project thingy. You never get direct bolt-on rearsets. Anyways, I've been working on mine with good success. When I have perfected them, I can make a set for you. Try getting R15 rearsets. I have been enquiring, but no spares dealer had them. And the Yamaha Service Centers said that it'd be available ONLY on order. I wanted to see them first before installing. Since I didn't get them, I built my own.

Quote:
Thats called a BSA lamp. The newer one is bigger than the one I have. Do keep in mind that if you install a seat cowl, you will either have to get rid of the rear mudguard OR mount the light much lower on the mudguard. Another option is to integrate the light into the cowl (like what we did on the YCR).
Old 20th March 2009, 23:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
If you require a seat/cowl I can get one done for you. My rearsets are ready for the gear side, but the brake side is still not perfect.

Are you looking for psuedo clip-ons or direct fork-mounted clip-ons?! Clubman may suit you better since they can clear the tank. Fork-mounted clip ons will touch the tank, but you can weld stoppers so that the turning radius is decreased.

Rearsets are a project thingy. You never get direct bolt-on rearsets. Anyways, I've been working on mine with good success. When I have perfected them, I can make a set for you. Try getting R15 rearsets. I have been enquiring, but no spares dealer had them. And the Yamaha Service Centers said that it'd be available ONLY on order. I wanted to see them first before installing. Since I didn't get them, I built my own.

Thats called a BSA lamp. The newer one is bigger than the one I have. Do keep in mind that if you install a seat cowl, you will either have to get rid of the rear mudguard OR mount the light much lower on the mudguard. Another option is to integrate the light into the cowl (like what we did on the YCR).
Ill have a word with a few fabricators here and if it doesnt work out, ill get one from you. Ill work with the taillight and rear design over this weekend.

The rearsets and handlebar are the confusion. I feel the clubman bar will be too huge compared to the thin RX body and may make it look odd, and the clipons, the only ones that ive come across were those "Hayabusa" 3 piece clipons (Dont know how practical they are). I personally would prefer the clubman. It should be comfortable and give a nice racy stance (keeping the rearsets in mind) along with a nice look. Another option that am looking at it chrome painting a FZ16 handlebar and putting it on the bike. Totally confused!

Regarding the rearsets, I did read about the issues you had with your YCR rearsets. I will be checking with Yamaha tom regarding the R15 rearsets. I have a feeling they wont have the stock. How about the Pulsar's rearsets or any other bike for that instance?
Old 21st March 2009, 05:37   #15
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the clubman bar will be too huge compared to the thin RX body and may make it look odd, and the clipons, the only ones that ive come across were those "Hayabusa" 3 piece clipons (Dont know how practical they are). I personally would prefer the clubman.
Try getting the Hayabusa clip ons or a Pulsar 200/FZ16 handlebar. These will give you a comfortable position. Fork mounted clip ons that are quite low will be uncomfortable although will give the perfect look and feel.

It takes patience and time going about making changes. Try different parts and choose the best according to quality and practicality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks