Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:06   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
My TBTS run on 12v DC 12 amph battery and the stock bulb is H4 35w/35w . illumination is pretty bad .Looking to change to H4 60w/55w . can i directly plug in or should i use a relay or any other solution pls suggest .

It is just a direct plug-in. I made the change to Halonix H4 65w/55w a couple of months ago for my TBTS. No issues till now. Well-worth it as the head-light is very good now.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Here is the feed back from my friend -

1. The headlamp assembly for bikes are manufactured in India by Lumax & Fiem - amongst others.
2. The headlamp of Shogun is the same as AX100; Shogun's is slightly bigger, so by having some packing it should fit.
3. The KB100 or KB4S Champion headlamp unit will also fit, as it is almost same size as that of Shogun's.

(By headlamp he means only the lens + reflector)

Now here is the research I did and found out -
Lumax has a factory here in Pune - Chinchwad and Chakan! If you call them, may be you will find out where to pick up the headlamp assemblies. May be you can measure the existing unit on your bike and cross check with that of KB100 from them.
Thanks a lot for posting that info.

I was hoping the headlight assembly meant everthing - the lens+reflector unit and the plastic housing. If there is any mismatch between the lens+reflector and the plastic housing, it may allow water, dust, etc to seep and also look shabby. Any idea if the housing is also available and fits the shogun's brackets?

I believe the stock headlamps and I guess even the indicators are Fiems. Not very good quality... unless they have now improved. So Lumax might be a better idea...

Out of KB 4s and 100, which one is better?

Changing the headlamp assy. means the holder type will also change, right?

Did you get a better bulb yet?

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd November 2009 at 21:06.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I was hoping the headlight assembly meant everthing - the lens+reflector unit and the plastic housing. If there is any mismatch between the lens+reflector and the plastic housing, it may allow water, dust, etc to seep and also look shabby. Any idea if the housing is also available and fits the shogun's brackets?
Don't know if the whole headlamp assembly for Shogun will be available - may be you will have to scout the TVS dealers.

But, if you see the plastic shroud of the headlamp assembly (bikini - fairing - whatever...), the headlight is a separate unit fitted by screws/bolts and the gaps are filled with rubber/foam. So if the headlamp unit fits, you can retain the original shroud and fill in the gaps - if they are minimal.

Quote:
Out of KB 4s and 100, which one is better?
Changing the headlamp assy. means the holder type will also change, right?
KB 100 was better, because I remember it was Lumax. The second one which I purchased was of KB 4S, which was Fiem and wasn't so good.

Yes, the headlamp bulb holder will also have to be changed, so as to fit into the reflector. The connectors may have to be redone. But the upside is that the Halonix bulb I used in my KB was pretty good.

Quote:
Did you get a better bulb yet?
No time to go out in search of the bulb - some audit work is going on at the office. Free time only after Dec. 10th. Will post the developments.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Did you try toying with the idea of putting the FZ headlamp
Old 24th November 2009, 17:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Once again, thanks for the info! Will see what can be done once I have some time.

Quote:
Don't know if the whole headlamp assembly for Shogun will be available - may be you will have to scout the TVS dealers.

But, if you see the plastic shroud of the headlamp assembly (bikini - fairing - whatever...), the headlight is a separate unit fitted by screws/bolts and the gaps are filled with rubber/foam. So if the headlamp unit fits, you can retain the original shroud and fill in the gaps - if they are minimal.
TVS dealers mostly will not have these kind of parts for the old 2 strokers. AT best, getting them to order it is possibly the only solution. But that would work only if the company is still supplying it.

Yes, the hadlamp reflector+lens assy is fixed into the plastic housing with the help of 2 screws underneath. Can't recall if there is any packing... don't think so. Would like to change the plastic housing as it has superficial scratches and finish... or rather the plastic itself isn't great.

Quote:
Yes, the headlamp bulb holder will also have to be changed, so as to fit into the reflector. The connectors may have to be redone. But the upside is that the Halonix bulb I used in my KB was pretty good.
Thats good. Then maybe I could try a HH halogen bulb I mentioned, if the holder is of the same type.

Quote:
No time to go out in search of the bulb - some audit work is going on at the office. Free time only after Dec. 10th. Will post the developments.
Do post your findings when you do it.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Update On 60/55w Bulb

Quote:

Will see how things work out for a month - and then upgrade to Philips Xtreme or Osram night breaker.........
OK, guys - it has been more than two months with the higher wattage bulb on my Gladiator. And this is how things are -

1. Firstly, I ventured with the higher wattage bulb because I found that while using the headlamp low beam (in the night) + flasher (hi beam) for signalling/flashing, both the filaments were lit up at the same time. So it meant, the current capacity generated is sufficient for 35+35 = 70W!

2. The 55/60W bulb which I fitted works fine - till now! No issues with the heating of reflector, holder etc. (BTW, the connectors & wires for the terminals of the bulb are really good)

3. Hi-beam flasher now works only when the headlights are off - meaning you can't use it in the night (55+60 = 115W is too much to expect)

4. But switching between lo and hi in the night works - however, quality of hi-beam is not good.

5. Illumination of the lo beam is good - am able to see much better.

6. Think the bulb / reflector combo is crucial for light quality / focus and spread.

7. Curiously, when I cross 60, the intensity of the beam seems to drop! Is it because, I am going too fast (for my own good?!) and beyond a certain stage the ignition coil requires higher current?

8. In the next couple of works will get hold of Philips Xtreme Vision - now that the normal 55/60 W is running without hiccups........
Old 18th December 2009, 00:07   #67
BHPian

All that talk of upgrading headlamps has made me want to pitch in. Can anybody suggest a way of improving the headlight brightness of a Standard 350 running a 6V electrical system without changing over to 12V?

@Shashank - Old post, I know but thought I'd say something if you don't have the solution to your headlight/battery problem. I don't have much idea about the 12V electrical system but what you said sounds like 2 coils of the alternator are meant for charging the battery and 4 coils for powering the headlamp. By switching the leads the guy effectively diverted more juice to the battery and less to the headlamp. My guess is that the two coils that are supposed to charge the battery are faulty. The "3-3" setup that you mentioned sounds like (again, not totally familiar with 12V electricals) the two outputs of the alternator are rewired to be equal to each other - 3 coils for battery and 3 coils for headlamp - 50-50 distribution.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Fitting Extra Lamps?

Hello All,

I am using my bike daily to commute to office which is about 55 kilometers from my house. I take the following route:

Mira Road - Thane: Ghodbunder Road
Thane to Taloja: Bhiwandi By Pass, Mumbra By pass.

Most of you who are familiar with this route would know that its is one of the most unsafe routes to travel on a bike due to heavy traffic of LCV/HCV's.

Further, I am totally unsatisfied with the lighting my HH Hunk provides and, I cannot see anything in front of these truckies! Hence, I was wondering if I can fix two extra lamps (small size) on the crash guard?

I know any lamps above the headlamps are illegal. However, can a biker fix extra lights and avoid running into cops?

Thanks!
Old 4th February 2010, 11:34   #69
BHPian

Hi Amit,

You could try upgrading the headlight bulbs. Usually all bikes come with a 35/35W Halogen.

You could upgrade the same to 55/60W or 90/100W. You will have to change the rectifier and add a cut-out. I have the 90/100W setup on my Yamaha RX 135. It works really well.

Just make sure you don't blind the oncoming cars / two wheelers.

-VTEC_Rocks
Old 4th February 2010, 11:50   #70
Team-BHP Support

Amtak the extra lights are not gonna help you.

Instead upgrade the headlight bulb to a halogen. I use a 45W 40 and am quite happy with it.
MY friend kcstheg used a 60w55 during the ride to RM.

We rode alongside eachother. The brighter bulb was really good.

I also clean my headlight glass regularly. At almost every pitstop break. This makes a HUGE difference in the quality of brightness.

I also have a clear scratch less visor, I use exclusively for night riding.

Never look into the lights from the opposite side vehicles.
A single focussed light is much better than all the extra add on lights.

Also please wear reflective clothing.

I sometimes use another vehicle as a spotter.
i.e. I ride in such a way that my Hi Beam will end at its rear bumper.
This gives me a lot of space for panic braking if needed.
When a vehicle with badly focussed light comes in the opposite side, I look at the red tail lights of the vehicle in front.
This tells me where the road is and I maintain focus.

Also the glass cut design on the headlight makes a difference in the area of illumination.
My headlight for instance. Notice the difference between the left and right and sides.
The design throws more light onto my right.

I actually need to change it to get a more balanced light.
This issue is however I think peculiar to RE bikes.
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img065.jpg

Also notice the insects stuck on it. Clean headlight is very helpful.
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img067.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 4th February 2010 at 12:00.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 12:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot BBlost! I had asked many mechanics who sell these extra lights for fitting the 55W bulb but none of them wanted to do it! I don't know why!

I had even told them the process where they would have to rewind the coil (or something similar) so that I can install a bright lamp. Further, my bike projects the light on the right. Assuming that I am riding on the left side of the road, most of the light fall on the dividing white line and is troublesome for me. My HH service center tried to fix it but the problem exists.

Which Halogen headlamp would be a bolt on fit for hunk?

Now that we are comng back on the same lighting issues (upgrade the existing headlamp), I think the topic can be merged with this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...mp-bike-5.html

Last edited by amtak : 4th February 2010 at 12:30.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Amtak if the Hunk has similar electricals as that of ZMA then you can safely put a 90/100w bulb with a relay.

But before this I think you should try correcting the alignment of your headlight as this might be the real culprit rather than the light itself.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Amtak if the Hunk has similar electricals as that of ZMA then you can safely put a 90/100w bulb with a relay.

But before this I think you should try correcting the alignment of your headlight as this might be the real culprit rather than the light itself.
Kedar,

I tried doing everything but nothing has worked. Even changed the handle for that! I am actually bugged for this reason or else this is an excellent product.

Further, I am not too sure if the electricals are the same as ZMA as the A** guys never revealed that to me. However, I faintly remember asking them if I can put ZMA lights and they told me - No Use! Its the same light
Old 4th February 2010, 14:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

hmm thats bad.

Then do what I have seen others do, buy a light casing(spot lamp with good spread) for some 100 odd bucks with an H4 holder, mount it at convenient location(such that it brghtens the road but doesnt blind people e.g LHS of headlight), get a 90/100w bulb with direct connection from battery.

If your day riding is enough battery should not be a problem but if not then keep checking levels frequently & top up if needed.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
hmm thats bad.

If your day riding is enough battery should not be a problem but if not then keep checking levels frequently & top up if needed.
Atleast one hour fifteen minutes during the day to reach office! Is that okay? Usually, I start from office at 6.00 PM and switch on my headlamp usually at around 6.30 when it starts getting a little dark but is still bright enough (so much that I can ride till 7.00 PM without the light).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks