Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 08:14   #196
BHPian

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

has anyone fitted projector in a royal enfield headlight before? my 2011 tbts has a clear lens headlamp. i have removed the headlamp and it appears to be a sealed unit. can the reflector and lens be seperated by blowing hot air onto the joint or do i have to cut the reflector from behind?
i am looking to seriously improve my bike's light throw. Already using a 55w philips extreme with halonix reflector. lighting is good but for it to be visible even with oncoming vehicles headlights, the throw has to be kept very short - not suitable for highways. apart from fitting aux lamps, hid in headlamp assembly seems to be the way to go.i dont want to go for new tbts headlight because i have been told the projector's light throw is not good enough. requesting your help guys.
Old 1st August 2013, 13:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Thanks again friend! 1stly; I will try an upgrade to 55/60 and run that directly through the battery (Spoke to my mechanic; says its a real easy task).
Mate,
Were you able to upgrade the bulb and post an update? Wanted to see how much of a gain it has been for you and at what misery

Regardingthe HID route, am not quite sure how well it can be adapted for a 2-wheeler. There will be much more experienced guys than me who could respond to that.

Totally unaware of the cost of the new T-Bird headlight setup. My apologies
Old 1st August 2013, 13:45   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Totally unaware of the cost of the new T-Bird headlight setup.
New thunderbird headlamp assembly which has projector costs 5.5k. projector performance is said to be average only, and it comes with halogen bulbs. Since i am able to get some generic hid+projector kit for 2.3k here i wanted to know how to fit it into my headlamp assembly.
Old 1st August 2013, 14:03   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
New thunderbird headlamp assembly which has projector costs 5.5k. projector performance is said to be average only,
Thanks mate for the update, regarding the performance i felt it pretty acceptable. You can upgrade those H-7 55 Watt bulbs to H-7 80 Watts without putting any additional strain on the battery or the alternator.

But yes when you pay 5.5k one would expect a complete solution rather than fiddling with it again.
In your case, would there be not an installation manual that would come along with the package? That should help you understand it better
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
But yes when you pay 5.5k one would expect a complete solution rather than fiddling with it again.
In your case, would there be not an installation manual that would come along with the package? That should help you understand it better
I forgot to mention that some shops also stock headlamp assembly costing 4.5k which is not made by oem manufacturer.
I am not aware of any such installation manual of RE. And if i install projector in headlight then i dont want to install any auxiliary lamps. I figure that i can get a pair of hella comets or autopals for the price of a new headlamp with questionable illumination.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
I am not aware of any such installation manual of RE. And if i install projector in headlight then i dont want to install any auxiliary lamps. I figure that i can get a pair of hella comets or autopals for the price of a new headlamp with questionable illumination.
Mate,
I was referring to the installation manual that comes along with the HID as i thought you were more keen for upgrading it to HID.

On the Hella Comets/Autopals it will be the total wattage that your stock headlight can output. If the stock headlight is 55W then the hella comet should be a 55 Watt bulb. Putting in a 90/100 bulb on to a stock one will do you no good.

If you have a good electrician try upgrading the alternator for a higher output which should in turn boost the battery charging ability. This should help you put a bulb with higher wattage. Am not sure of the expenses though
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Mate,
I was referring to the installation manual that comes along with the HID as i thought you were more keen for upgrading it to HID.

On the Hella Comets/Autopals it will be the total wattage that your stock headlight can output. If the stock headlight is 55W then the hella comet should be a 55 Watt bulb. Putting in a 90/100 bulb on to a stock one will do you no good.
Yes, i want to go for HID preferably, which leads me back to my initial dilemma. How to open tbts headlamp assembly?
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:58   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate,
Were you able to upgrade the bulb and post an update? Wanted to see how much of a gain it has been for you and at what misery

Regardingthe HID route, am not quite sure how well it can be adapted for a 2-wheeler. There will be much more experienced guys than me who could respond to that.

Totally unaware of the cost of the new T-Bird headlight setup. My apologies
Hey Bud! This'll have to wait a couple of weeks. Am gonna try and squeeze some time out on Sunday but not too sure. The plan so far - Get a 55/60 bulb fitted and run it directly from the battery. Will post an update once done. Take care!
Old 9th August 2013, 18:12   #204
Senior - BHPian

Need some details on Pulsar 220's projectors:

- How much do they cost?
- Requirements (battery capacity, rewiring etc) & would it work on a 2006 bullet T-bird (headlamp from Avenger)?
- Any place in Delhi I can try picking up some used ones for?

Thank you!
Old 27th August 2013, 07:54   #205
BHPian

No one has posted here regarding my earlier query
I was able to open the Tbird headlamp myself though. I was worried about how to open the sealed beam intially, but the default oem minda sealed beam consists of the clear lens and reflector just stuck together with some very messy adhesive. I tried to pry it open with a screwdriver and presto, it came off!

Somewhat let down, i then measured the depth of the reflector and it came to just a tad above 3 inches. Since i want to fit a projector in here, i looked up dimensions of projectors on some sites and found that my headlamp cannot house anything more than the smallest projectors without cutting the reflector. No fancy morimotos for me then! Sharing a link from where i hoped to buy a generic projector. http://eshop.ktautopart.com/motorcyc...or/kt-mt1.html

Now i dont want to ruin my headlight myself so looked around a bit for someone reputed who can retrofit a projector into sealed beam and send me. Got a quote of 10k and was almost ready to take the plunge when i was reminded of yet another issue with my bike. Whenever loaded with pillion, the loading pushes the low beam up into high beam and the high beam is now pointing towards the sky. No, i set it up correctly. Without pillion, my high beam is pointing where my low beam should ideally be. So no go for HID either (atleast the expensive ones!)

I was now thinking of going for a cheap ebay HID when i stumbled across some posts on auxiliary led lights which are as bright as HID. Something like this for cheap http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...431948277.html.
Then i came across some more led lights by someone from HK. Seller has got rave reviews from online forums and now i am really tempted by this idea. Current thinking is that if i am able to mount them on crash guard i can minimize the loading effect on light focusing and if mounted on front forks, then i can eliminate it completely. Finally decided to get these within a couple of months. Sharing the seller's link here.http://www.ebay.com/sch/2allbuyer/m.html. I am aware that ebay.in stocks stuff similar to these at a fraction of the price but somehow when seen with the reviews these seemed better. Please share your suggestions as I am a noob in this issue.

My current lighting setup is a 55/60 Philips XtremeVision which has replaced the stock 35w candle in the dark. Since i also added a pair of horns which pull 85w combined i am apprehensive of how much further load my battery/alternator combo can support. Hence bitten by the led bug. Also still searching for quality halogen aux cheaper than Hella comets @5k per pair! If anyone knows where i can find Neolite/Autopal in Hyderabad, please help.

Sorry for the long and rambling post, couldn't help it after getting constantly dazzled by the high beams at night!
chotu_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 21:13   #206
BHPian

Re: DIY Headlamp upgrade on TVS Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I replaced the stock bulb on my TVS Wego with the Philips Xtreme 60/55 H4 bulb from my car....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Today being a holiday, I was home and had time to kill on my hands, so decided to plonk the 55w/60w bulb into my one month old TVS Wego
requesting to share updates on your bulb upgrades for Wego. any effect you foresee on the reflectors ?

Last month I purchased Wego primarily for wife, for small local trips.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:13   #207
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Headlamp upgrade on TVS Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
requesting to share updates on your bulb upgrades for Wego. any effect you foresee on the reflectors ?

Last month I purchased Wego primarily for wife, for small local trips.
No problems from my end. I have had it on for at least 10 months. Just got the stock battery replaced with an Amaron MF battery after 2.5 years. So far so good.
Old 1st September 2013, 14:59   #208
Senior - BHPian

I generally steer clear of HIDs because I believe they just blind oncoming traffic more than anything else and being on the receiving end of High Beams at night, I have a vague idea of how annoying it can be.

In that context, I've a 55/60W bulb in my bike(HH Hunk, converted to DC) right now and notice that the beam is barely focussed. It goes all over the place! Even after trying to adjust the focus. Is it possible to use a projector with the bulb I've in place now? I believe it'll produce a much more focussed beam of light which is of paramount importance in a city like Bangalore where stones used to make the divider are place on either side of the divider to make room for people who don't want to travel and extra 200 meters for a legit U-Turn.

Anyone knows if this is a feasible setup and how much it would cost?
Old 17th September 2013, 12:43   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
In that context, I've a 55/60W bulb in my bike(HH Hunk, converted to DC)
What all parts were changed/rewired when you converted the bike to DC ?
From where did you get it done.
I have a Pulsar, I'm planning to get it fully converted to DC, I've put Hid Projector lights (35W), the battery can handle just 15mins of the lights when running, battery drains out very fast with the above
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:57   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
What all parts were changed/rewired when you converted the bike to DC ?
From where did you get it done.
I have a Pulsar, I'm planning to get it fully converted to DC, I've put Hid Projector lights (35W), the battery can handle just 15mins of the lights when running, battery drains out very fast with the above
Ummm, that coil was re wound, the RR Unit was changed to that of the Piaggio Ape's. And a little of rewiring.

I got it done on Lalbagh Fort Road.
Ruby Auto Electricals

#K172, Krumbigal Road
Mavalli
Bangalore-560070

Contact Person is Kennedy: 9845218345
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks