Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 22:08   #46
BHPian

Facts & Figures of FURY

@ Thanh: plz find the facts & figures of Enfeild Fury
It may useful in our discussion, so that we can compare Fury DX175 and its big cousin KS 175 features.
@ Sid: There is no big differance between DX175 & GP175 in figures except the cosmetics .
Most of the parts were indigenous, though

FURY when launched in 1987 by ENFEILD INDIA,it came in two guises and the difference is immediatly apparent,the DX model had die-cast alloy wheels and the other version is DW ,which had regular spokes wheels,without that bikini fairing,which DX had. (This DW 175 was released in very few numbers only)
This design is air-cooled version of the latest state of water-cooled best seller from ZUNDAPP KS 175 (BEFORE THEY FOLDED).
Enfeild did nothing than assembling ckd kits from Germany,(Even Hard-chromed air cooled cylinders & piston rings were imported with "Enfeild" logo in it.)

The Fury is powered by a 163cc two stroke single cylinder piston ported engine,features a hard-chrome barrel, with bore dia 62mm and astroke of 54mm.
power the engine develops 15.2 bhp @ 6300 rpm & 17.5 newto metere at 5600 rpm.
The engine works without an oil-pump and on petroil system as opposed to the auto-lube system in most of Ind-Jap bikes on those time.(at end of '80s)
It had a VM 28 Micarb caburettor to get nippy acceleration and top end performance.
The most apparent feature of the engine is the barrel & head with large perfo cut fins provides efficient cooling.( flower head)
Now coming to gearbox(???????)
It had a five speed close ratio gear box(again the first bike to have 5 in India)A wet multi plate clutch is used and the primary drive is by Helical gears opposed to the normal chain drive or spur gear type,yhis makes power delivery smooth. This gearbox is pull cottertype of engagement,only very few other manufacturers did. I'll come to write in future regarding pros & cons of Pull-Cotter type gear box) or our Thanh is there to write on the behalf of Zundapp.
The powertrain is housed in a sturdy twin cradle tubular frame,with torision &shear mounted beds to minimize the vibrations.
The front telescopic forks are by "paioli", and has a travel of nearly 6 inches.
The front brakes is from the BREMBO ,with disc of 260mm,hydralically operated by "magura" reservoirs and rear brakes have 160 mm dia single leading drum.
(The Disc brake is another Indian industry first by Enfeild)
About Eletricals & Ignition :
6volt water proof 12 pole electronic ignition ..
The "day flash" facility is yet another unique feature.
The Cafe racer rear seat fairing was common in both DX & DW models
(FURY gpx had lot of changes in the looks compared to DX or DW )
The un laden weight of the bike is 120 kgs and designed to take pay load of 200kgs.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th April 2009 at 14:46. Reason: Please do not post in all bold text.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:36   #47
BHPian

havent been able to do anything on the bike yet , been out every weekend from the time i got the bike , hopefully i will start this week.

i still dont know what parts i will need , but since its a running bike , i guess i can make do with the mechanicals as they are for sometime atleast, until something breaks.

keep the posts coming everybody ,this is one of the least discussed bike .
Old 8th April 2009, 16:55   #48
BANNED

Hi Sid even my mechanic is having 2 Furies and one he is using for spares and now he is out of country.
Bike is having almost all the parts apart from the tail light unit and front fairing let me what are the chances that i'll get these parts and how much should i offer him.
One of my RD is having front and rear Fury alloys and disc break setup along with forks.
Old 9th April 2009, 16:45   #49
BHPian

Hey guys know of a fury standing parked rotting for ages at my computer guys office when i asked him , he told me it was a fiend's bike who had moved to mumbai and will probably get rid of it, he asked me if i wanted it or would help restore and sell it.
So if anyone is interested in buying the whole thing as parts or a bike i can find out. don't know if its running or not have just seen it collecting dust there, will find out if anyones interested.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:14   #50
BHPian

Nice Fury Sid, Congrats. Restore it man, they are a hoot to ride. I rode AIRBUSDriver's FURY several years ago and was smitten by it. PM him, from what I read here, he is restoring her. He also has a Laverda and a Moto Guzzi.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 9th April 2009 at 17:15.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
FURY when launched in 1987 by ENFEILD INDIA,it came in two guises and the difference is immediatly apparent,the DX model had die-cast alloy wheels and the other version is DW ,which had regular spokes wheels,without that bikini fairing,which DX had. (This DW 175 was released in very few numbers only).
Fantastic info powertwin.
IIRC the DW175 also had front drum brakes along with the spoke wheels. Probably had no fairing too. I never saw one on the roads.

Enfield had also displayed a 100 cc 2stroke bike at some show. Dunno if it was a bored out Explorer or a smaller Fury. Sadly, the bike never got launched.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:31   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
..... keep the posts coming everybody ,this is one of the least discussed bike .
Don't worry, will make it the most discussed bike in the country. That's our specialty & expertise. We don't need a second invitation to 'discuss' someone's bike/car etc

You want some discussions on the biker/RS also mate??

One a serious note, great to see that there are many options for you to choose from. Getting spares or even getting another FURY as a donor. best of luck Sid. You have all our (m)oral support in unleashing your FURY.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th April 2009 at 17:35.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Enfield had also displayed a 100 cc 2stroke bike at some show. Dunno if it was a bored out Explorer or a smaller Fury. Sadly, the bike never got launched.
Hi

That was probably a K80 respectively K100 (Zundapp themselves never made them with 100cc, but they DID make 100cc Zylinders which allowed for legal change from "80cc/80 km/h" class to "Motorcyle less than 10 horse power".

The K80 (Zundapp type 540) had the same frame as the Explorer (German CS 50 or Mofa version CS 25, also offroad CX50/Hai 50 and their Mofa counterpart CX25/Hai 25). The only difference is a reinforcing plate at the steering hub and also the 80cc's came with a reinforced swing arm. Several models were made, the K80 was the last bike Zundapp produced and they pretty much "threw together what was on the shelves" hence there are so many different versions available.

That was also the bike that was re-launched by Xunda-Tianjing (China) after they bought the complete production line after Zundapp's bankrupcy.

I will now be off for a few days, going up north (Chiang Mai) where i will have very limited internet connectivity. I wish all of you a great weekend

Kind regards....

Thanh
Attached Thumbnails
Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-k80.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-k80a.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-k80b1.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-k80wc.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-k80-wk.jpg  

Old 9th April 2009, 18:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC the DW175 also had front drum brakes along with the spoke wheels. Probably had no fairing too. I never saw one on the roads.
Correct. We had both versions in our college. Beautifully smooth engines, but not entirely reliable.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Yes as said,When Enfeild india,owned rights to produce the four bikes of Zundapp, namely KS175 ( Fury DX175), KS50 (Explorer CS50), a step through- German version name not known (Silver Plus) & Mofa 22cc.
The Mofa was not a Zundapp, was it? It had a 22cc Minarelli engine, if I'm not mistaken.

Enfield bought 4 models from Zundapp, the fourth was a 200 or 250cc that was never launched - I am very sure of this because we had 2 Furys in the college and were waiting for them to launch the next model. I knew the name of the last model and I remember posting it somewhere here, but old age is catching up and I cant recall it anymore. Am not sure of this but perhaps it was called Endeavour.

The Zundapp models were not made in Germany - the remaining kits were bought by Enfield India when the company folded, with the rights to these 4 models. They were manufactured in India, in Ranipet to be precise.

Off-topic, but the name Zundapp lives on in Enduro:

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-zundapp2008.jpg

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th April 2009 at 19:03.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:56   #56

Hi

So, i'm back from Chiang Mai and now i got internet connection again

As to the "Silver Plus", that could have been any of a number of Zundapp models - they all look more or less identical, the differences are in the engines and accessories. Also they are available as Mofa (25 km/h, pedals), Moped (40 km/h, pedals) and Mokick (40 km/h, kick start). I had a whole bunch of those.... there are automatic, 2-speed hand shifted, 3-speed hand shifted and 3-speed foot shifted. What engine is in the Silver Plus? If someone has a picture of one i will find the matching Zundapp "original".

The new "Zundapp" Enduro is actually an Italian "Fantic", simply rebadged (Minarelli engine). Zundapp always had good relations with Italian manufacturers (see Laverda who built bikes with Zundapp engines and also all the Italian parts suppliers, i.e. Grimeca, Paioli, Marzocchi etc) and there is also one particular 80cc Enduro Model from Zundapp (the SX 80) which is actually an Aprilia ET50, outfitted with the K80 (air cooled) Zundapp-engine.

Kind regards.....

Thanh
Old 15th April 2009, 13:41   #57
BHPian

dismounted the engine and gear box this morning and took it to the mech , since he has no place to park another bike , will go back to him in the evening and have it opened up and check.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh-BKK View Post
As to the "Silver Plus", that could have been any of a number of Zundapp models - they all look more or less identical, the differences are in the engines and accessories. Also they are available as Mofa (25 km/h, pedals), Moped (40 km/h, pedals) and Mokick (40 km/h, kick start). I had a whole bunch of those.... there are automatic, 2-speed hand shifted, 3-speed hand shifted and 3-speed foot shifted. What engine is in the Silver Plus?
The Indian Silver plus was 2 speed hand shift with 50cc engine shared with explorer IIRC. Good looking thing.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Indian Silver plus was 2 speed hand shift with 50cc engine shared with explorer IIRC. Good looking thing.
Later versions also came with a three speed shift, guess it shared the gearbox design with it's cousin the Explorer. Owned one for about one a half years in 1986-87 and for those days, it was quite peppy and hep !
Old 15th April 2009, 19:05   #60

Hi

So i narrowed it down to four possible ones - there's a fifth but i wasn't able to find a picture of it, anyway that one is identical to ZL 25 but also has indicators, it's (weird!) Type is "ZB 22". Normally Zundapp's type names always have a meaning, the "Z" usually representing "Zundapp" and the second letter something like "Sport = S", "Luxus = L" or "Elegant = E". The ZB follows THERE - "B" for "Blinker" (indicators), however 22..?? Makes no sense as it has the usual 50cc, 25 km/h and a three-speed hand shift.

By the way right now someone on the Zundapp forum offers a set of Fury front brake pads (for the Brembo caliper!), new, for 18 Euros.

Kind regards....

Thanh
Attached Thumbnails
Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-zl25.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-zr20.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-zs25.jpg  

Help required for restoring Enfield Fury 175 gp-zx25.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks