Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 20:14   #1
BHPian

Enfield Machismo 500 avl - front tyre change

hello friends,
i am planning to change the front tyre of my bike, i have a royal enfield machismo 500 avl with the ribbed tyre (19 incher) infront which in my opinion dosent do justice to the disc (brakes) specially in mud or slush, now most of the time i am onroad (tarmac) and because it rains frequently here i would like something which sticks to the road during the monsoons, i cannot go for the tubeless ones because of the spoked wheel which i love and dont plan to change, so i need a tube tyre combo , i have very limited choice that too in mrf or dunlop in 19 inches so please advise guys what to do, is any reputed company like michelin, bridgestone, pirelli, goodyear have anything in their lineup which can be purchased from delhi, any other suggestions?
Old 1st June 2009, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Hey fellow-biker,

Have been looking for tyres as well, but it is a little difficult to source good tyres for 19" spoked wheels unless they're for dirt-bikes.

After a good amount of asking around and from personal experience, I've figured that Dunlop 3.25 x 19" are the best for the front in terms of grip. You could use 3.50 x 19" as well, depending on whether you want a fatter tyre or not.

By the way, I don't mean the regular ribbed ones k? Get the patterned ones. Dunlops have a stickier compound than MRF, CEAT etc. They wear out faster, but give much better grip, the pattern helps too, especially when in the wet. It's not too bad in the dirt either.

If you have someone coming in from the UK, or can order from there, Avon makes some very good and safe 19" tyres which are meant for classic bikes. Continental in Europe does something similar as well.

My suggestion is to try Dunlops for now, and try sourcing the Avons in the future. (when you're doing that I wouldn't mind a set either )

Ride safe bro.
Old 1st June 2009, 21:58   #3
BHPian

hello friend
thanks for responding, i dont have connections abroad so i will have to manage with what i can get my hands on locally, i have seen dunlop and it is a pretty decent tyre, i just might go with it but before i do that isnt there something from michelin, pirelli, goodyear or likes?
Old 11th June 2009, 19:48   #4
BHPian

My friend and I just put the Thai made IRC 100/90-19 tyre on the front of our bikes. It seems to work really well - didn't have to make any mods to the front (I have a chopped Tbird fender), but I have heard one other person saying they had to bend/cut the front fender. This tyre feels rock solid at speeds of 110+. I have an MRF Meteor on the rear which also help give it a planted feel. The IRC has a modern tread pattern, soft rubber and rounded profile which are good for grip and cornering. If you want the bike to steer a bit quicker, IRC also make a slightly thinner 90/90-19 tyre which is as good. Available in Delhi for Rs.1600-1800.

Enfield Machismo 500 avl - front tyre change-lonavla-ride-001.jpg
Old 15th June 2009, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Nice

Nice tyres indeed..

Now I know what to go for when I finish with my dunlop 3.25 x 19.

Two questions:

1) Would they have corresponding tyres for the rear?
2) Are they uni-directional? Both the bikes in the picture have it in different ways, which way is the norm?

Ciao
Old 15th June 2009, 20:56   #6
BHPian

Hi i am swaroop from bangalore i am looking for 19" tubeless tyre for my avl 500 coz i had a nasty accident recently with my stock tyre when a 1.5inch nail went into my rear tyre and slit my tube immediately! But i am not able to find 19" tubeless tyres anywhere!!! Can someone help with this? R 19" inch tubeless tyres available anywhere in india? If not which is the cheapest way to import them??? Any idea how much it would cost?
Old 16th June 2009, 16:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
My friend and I just put the Thai made IRC 100/90-19 tyre on the front of our bikes. It seems to work really well - didn't have to make any mods to the front (I have a chopped Tbird fender), but I have heard one other person saying they had to bend/cut the front fender. This tyre feels rock solid at speeds of 110+. I have an MRF Meteor on the rear which also help give it a planted feel. The IRC has a modern tread pattern, soft rubber and rounded profile which are good for grip and cornering. If you want the bike to steer a bit quicker, IRC also make a slightly thinner 90/90-19 tyre which is as good. Available in Delhi for Rs.1600-1800.

Attachment 146893
Hi Modder,

Can I fit the 100/90 19 tyre on my Thuderbird front wheel without any alteration? Also can any body help to know ewhere I can get IRC tyres in Chennai

thanks.
Suresh
Old 16th June 2009, 16:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroopanand_86 View Post
Hi i am swaroop from bangalore i am looking for 19" tubeless tyre for my avl 500 coz i had a nasty accident recently with my stock tyre when a 1.5inch nail went into my rear tyre and slit my tube immediately! But i am not able to find 19" tubeless tyres anywhere!!! Can someone help with this? R 19" inch tubeless tyres available anywhere in india? If not which is the cheapest way to import them??? Any idea how much it would cost?
you can find Duro's in 110/90/19 and 100/90/19 for Royal enfields.
yes they are tubeless,but you need alloy wheels to mount them on your bike as tubeless,with spoke rims.you will have to use tube
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:49   #9
BHPian

Can u pl let me know where i can find Duro tubeless tyre? and How much it would cost?
Old 24th June 2009, 01:04   #10
BHPian

that thai made tyre looks just right, 500 modder can u mention details or whereabouts of any shop at delhi from where i can procure these, hey akshay tell us more about the duros, are they any good , who manufactures them, at what rate, hows the compound and from where can we get our hands on one, i can only look for at delhi so kindly help.
p.s. i dont want fatter tyres for front, i just want a tyre with a good sticky compound , which works well in rains and has good on road capabilities, i dont think that going for a fatter tyre in the front is such a good idea, i want a tyre with stock specifications and wana keep it at 19'', i was out of town so couldnt keep in touch with this thread and had almost made up my mind to go for the ceat ones but now i guess i might have some alternatives, thanks friends
Old 24th June 2009, 10:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroopanand_86 View Post
Can u pl let me know where i can find Duro tubeless tyre? and How much it would cost?
you can contact
KRP for these tyres here

Kaulson Racing ...... GO!!!!!!!!!!!! For KRP
Old 8th July 2009, 20:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
that thai made tyre looks just right, 500 modder can u mention details or whereabouts of any shop at delhi from where i can procure these, hey akshay tell us more about the duros, are they any good , who manufactures them, at what rate, hows the compound and from where can we get our hands on one, i can only look for at delhi so kindly help.
p.s. i dont want fatter tyres for front, i just want a tyre with a good sticky compound , which works well in rains and has good on road capabilities, i dont think that going for a fatter tyre in the front is such a good idea, i want a tyre with stock specifications and wana keep it at 19'', i was out of town so couldnt keep in touch with this thread and had almost made up my mind to go for the ceat ones but now i guess i might have some alternatives, thanks friends

Sorry to get back so late. If you're still looking for an IRC tyre, I believe they are available in Delhi:

Triad International
+91-9810026629

Called them about 2 months ago and they had both 100/90-19 and the 90/90-19 in stock.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to get back so late. If you're still looking for an IRC tyre, I believe they are available in Delhi:

Triad International
+91-9810026629

Called them about 2 months ago and they had both 100/90-19 and the 90/90-19 in stock.
i got a 100/90-19 from Jatinder for 1600 IRC
Old 1st August 2009, 11:25   #14
TDC
BHPian

I have the IRC 100/90 19 on the front and 110/90 19 on the rear and i do not like the handling of the bike. It looks nice and very stable for going in a straight line. But when it comes to taking corners, it is much slower than a 3.25 front tyre.

I noticed the difference immediately when i changed the front tyre to the 100/90 19. The reluctance to turn gets more pronounced the faster you go.

Even after spending so much buying these tyres and selling my new stock tyres off for a song, I'm going back to 3.25 front.

My 2 cents
Old 1st August 2009, 16:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Saw this thread at the right time, my bikes front tyre ( Dunlop) is almost given up..

Hows the tryre behaving now?

Is it available in Bangalore?

Quote:

Attachment 146893

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks