Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 14:53   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Hollywoodhogan: Thatz a neat bike you got there, those a few things would make it more complete, like the side boxes and the rear shox.
tks. i have the original shox, it had gone for a chorme job. i have had the lh side box made but the box carrier is original. amal carb, lucas distributor, dunlop rims, sealed beam, smiths clock etc. are some of the original things. bike will be fully ready in a couple of weeks. single owner, original rc book and i have the 1960 owners manual too.
Old 17th June 2009, 15:15   #32
BHPian

He has also changed the front hub, carburetor and the kick start lever. I own a 1969 model Bullet which had most parts made in England too. The original front hub had a large drum which proved very effective when you brake.

It is normal for old Bullets to back fire when you don't start them right. You have to press the decompressor lever and rest your feet on the kick start lever and watch the ammeter to come to center. Then you give a smart kick and you can start them easily with just that one kick.

I didn't think until now these old bullets fetched anything upward of 20 k.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:31   #33
BHPian

I need the Air Filter box for my Electra, Any idea where can I find one in NCR.
Old 17th June 2009, 22:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
tks. i have the original shox, it had gone for a chorme job. i have had the lh side box made but the box carrier is original. amal carb, lucas distributor, dunlop rims, sealed beam, smiths clock etc. are some of the original things. bike will be fully ready in a couple of weeks. single owner, original rc book and i have the 1960 owners manual too.
Wow!! Ur one lucky guy. Weren't the shox completely painted? What about the smaller stuff which people usually neglect, like the handlebars, grips, rubber items, battery holder, etc? Please do post pics once u get the bike done up. Congrats

Cheers
Old 18th June 2009, 09:35   #35
BHPian

Hey Pretorian,

I think you have found the answers to all your questions yourself in your 1955 picture, If you do compare the 55 and the 66 models, you will find that the 66 model has been practically turned into a 2003 model.

Finding the right parts cables, more importantly a mechanic who will not rob you is a challenge today. I maintain my two steeds across two mechanics and let me tell you both are highway robbers.

IMHO, now that all BSA's and other real vintage bikes have been restored and safely stored in people's garages. The craze is now for pre 1970 bullets, Jawa's and finally the RDs.

Pre 70's bikes are not real vintages and the only real they have is the heavy crank. This is just another way for people to make money.

A brand new 350 CI whcih now has the heavy crank, will easily last you another 10 years, you can mod it whatever way you want it.

Cheers!
Old 18th June 2009, 14:05   #36
BHPian

Ya, after seeing the 1955, I can now tell to an extent whether the parts are genuinely old stuff or just old parts coming as new stock.

Seriously shivsanker, if the current crank of STD is as heavier as the oldies, I can really contemplate on going for a new one, probably call it 'One of the last breeds of original 350' to my kids later, after 40 years its anyway gonna be 'vintage of the last breeds', like last samurai, [errr, that's a different bike], okie, "Last Bullet", hmm, sounds okie now

The problem with me is, I now have a feel of the oldies [50's & 60's], I need to try a new one, probably then I will take a call, on whats worth !

Cheers !
Old 19th June 2009, 02:32   #37
BHPian

Pretorian: It seems like you are very confused here. Why do you need the heavy crank in the first place? And if you are insistant on the heavy crank, you can always find one and fit it. Yes, the heavy cranks are lovely for the low-end torque but is that what you are mainly looking at?

If you have a fairly resonable budget, pick up one of the post 2003 bullets and customize it to you likes. If the budget it lighter, pick up one of the 80s or 90s bullet and work on it, but trust me you will end up spending the same amount of money on either. The older the bullet the more personality they have, some to your liking and some not.

You have to remember one thing, bullets have not changed much in design over half a century, so you can make a new bullet look like an old one or the other way around. My suggestion is if you picking up a classic bullet, learn a little bit about it so that you know what you are picking up. The market has 80% crap people, selling crap stuff. They will sell you a 1975 bullet with 1966 papers with all numbers matching.
Old 19th June 2009, 07:33   #38
BHPian

The timing device is to "Advance" and "retard" the engine for torque and Speed. That was a great device with excellent functionality but limited usefulness ina city traffic.
Old 21st June 2009, 12:02   #39
BHPian

1984 Bullet

Came across this 1984 Bullet being quoted for 38K, I am really not sure about crank, it looks different, moreover the upper part of the engines seems to have gone a little blunt (probably from an accident). The Bike started in the first kick (after a decomp), sounded okie, I rev'ed it a bit and put my palm behind the exhaust, a bit of black smoke did cover my hand !

Is it worth even for 30K ?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_418.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_419.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_420.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_421.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_422.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_423.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_424.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_425.jpg  

Last edited by Pretorian : 21st June 2009 at 12:17.
Old 21st June 2009, 12:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a bike which was not used for a long time and then done up without an eye for detail. Look at the handlebar pivot hex head and the tappet covers. The wheel cover and tank paint seems fairly new, as is the seat. The pin-striping guy didn't even bother to see that the Enfield logo sticker is placed so low on the rear wheel cover that the number plate masks part of it.

The 'bluntness' that you see is not due to an accident, it is a result of a crude mechanic's attempts to dislodge the head with wooden batons and hammer. Significant amount of pitting on the cast aluminium covers (clutch and gear box) all around. Is that red paint on the brake drums?
Old 21st June 2009, 18:15   #41
BHPian

I saw a 1983 bullet at tank bund for 20k. It was really dusted up. Which also means it might have most of the original parts.
Old 21st June 2009, 21:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
I saw a 1983 bullet at tank bund for 20k. It was really dusted up. Which also means it might have most of the original parts.
the crank on tihs one should be normal light weight crank, the bike seems to be fine , the circled part on the head seems fine its just the fins that may bend or in a real bad one they may crack but this one is fine
Old 22nd June 2009, 05:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The 'bluntness' that you see is not due to an accident, it is a result of a crude mechanic's attempts to dislodge the head with wooden batons and hammer.
That was exactly my first thought when seeing the picture. I have seen quite a few mechanics breaking the fins during these attempts.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:44   #44
BHPian

:-)

Guys,

After so many auditions of various bulls, I finally got one. I bought a 74 Bull from a local mechanic for 42k. Took a test drive, and I instantly liked it. The kickstart is smooth, does not emit white smoke, really liked the balance of the bike [I can leave my hands off while driving and it just stays ], it does require a paint job though (it was last painted 9yrs back), I am considering changing the seat to another single seat (with good springs).

I have a few questions though:

- The carb here is a pacco, I heared Sankar say its from Jawa, is this fine to keep or should i move to a VM28
- The seat is not comfortable, the springs are hard, will be changing it to new singles' any suggestions which ones are good
- I like driving slow on the bull (around 40kmph), but i see the engine cluttering on 4th gear when on 40, so to get smooth I atleast need to be on 50. Is there any problem here, my weight it around 65kgs.

Cheers :-)

Here's the macho:
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-my74bull.jpg  

Old 17th September 2009, 13:11   #45
BHPian

Amazing looking bull pretorian ! If you can buy it ! lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks