Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:08   #16
BHPian

Thanks for that bit of advice hollywoodhogan
Yes as soon as I increase the throttle a bit, the noise goes away. I was planning for a long run this Saturday but looks like we may get the monsoon getting active once again over here..not sure if I want to get all soaked on a very long ride.
But I reeeaaaallly want to take her out for a long spin
(I sound like I'm talking about a girl :-s ) Only 840kms done, I am in a hurry to cross that 2000 kms lol.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Nice write up and indeed the right choice. Make sure to ride it below 50. My friend did a 100kms on his std at 70kmph during initial phase and now is facing missing problem.

Do ride safe and steady.
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Have done about 750kms by now (3+ weeks). Bike seems to be running pretty well. Still need to keep it under 70kph till about 2000kms. That will be tough!

Also early mornings when I kick-start the bike, just when it idles, there is a tick-tack sound (quite loud) which goes away when I give more throttle. Any idea what that could be?

There is also this weird chhhooo-chhheeee sound whenever you decelerate which apparently is expected (not explained that well by the service guys, something about Euro3 norms and some component making that noise) but should reduce over time.

Not liking that sound though :-s
Pulse Air Valve. More noisy, especially during start up. Chooo-Cheee also from PAV.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:51   #19
BHPian

So what exactly does this PAV do, JayP ? Something to do with the air intake?

Also I did a good 50km run today (including some ghat riding - Katraj for anyone from Pune) and while coming back it was raining quite a lot.

After a few places where there was standing water (not very deep though) on the road and I had to wade through it for half-a-km or so, suddenly almost all braking power was gone. Yes with brake pads totally wet you expect brakes to be a bit dodgy but did not expect such a huge loss (especially rear, the front disc was just ok). Did not happen with my Pulsar brakes.

Might need to test this out again on my planned long run on Saturday.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:23   #20
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Scary to hear about the brakes !!! On the other hand, still waiting for those pics
Old 4th September 2009, 20:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what exactly does this PAV do, JayP ? Something to do with the air intake?

Also I did a good 50km run today (including some ghat riding - Katraj for anyone from Pune) and while coming back it was raining quite a lot.

After a few places where there was standing water (not very deep though) on the road and I had to wade through it for half-a-km or so, suddenly almost all braking power was gone. Yes with brake pads totally wet you expect brakes to be a bit dodgy but did not expect such a huge loss (especially rear, the front disc was just ok). Did not happen with my Pulsar brakes.

Might need to test this out again on my planned long run on Saturday.
During idle the PAV injects air into the exhaust manifold to contain emissions. It is a rudimentary method to contain emissions at idle as the PUC tests are conducted at idle.

About braking, I don't have issues with the front disc even when I am wading/heavy rains. Addition of the ABS which saferide offers is a very good option since the front has the tendency to lock up like crazy especially in the wet. I have one running and I am more than satisfied with the braking performance. Highly recommended.

However, the rear is a different story. Now, I am planning to get myself a rear disc which will help matters since my LB500 doesn't stop even with me standing on the rear brake. My rear disc has already been designed using the existing drum as foundation. I am using a 240 mm twin pot Pulsar 1Gs front disc. Twin pot as the LB500 is 40 kilos heavier. Hopefully, I will have time in hand to get it on soon.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 4th September 2009, 21:58   #22
BHPian

hi abhay ,

have you used your bike in city traffic , how easy it is ride in heavy traffic , spl ride comfort , engine heating . your feedback will be highly appreciated.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:01   #23
BHPian

Yes I have used the bike in heavy city traffic a few times and its not that difficult to maneuver compared to its bulk. Of course it is never going to beat my old Pulsar or any sub 150cc bikes in terms of being easy to handle in traffic jams but still it is not as tough as it first appears.

After completing a month with this bike (1000+ km on the odo now) I am very satisfied with the ride comfort. Which is what I bought it for basically. Still have to test in on a very long run but have done 30-40kms on non-stop riding and it is very good.

Engine heating has not been that big an issue, of course I do not ride in very heavy traffic on my daily runs. Only when I had some errands to run in peak hour Pune city traffic (which is crazy if you have been here)
Old 7th September 2009, 23:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have used the bike in heavy city traffic a few times and its not that difficult to maneuver compared to its bulk. Of course it is never going to beat my old Pulsar or any sub 150cc bikes in terms of being easy to handle in traffic jams but still it is not as tough as it first appears.

After completing a month with this bike (1000+ km on the odo now) I am very satisfied with the ride comfort. Which is what I bought it for basically. Still have to test in on a very long run but have done 30-40kms on non-stop riding and it is very good.

Engine heating has not been that big an issue, of course I do not ride in very heavy traffic on my daily runs. Only when I had some errands to run in peak hour Pune city traffic (which is crazy if you have been here)
I read your review and it's brilliant,Amazing write up.

One more to add ! Royal Enfield is not just a "Bike",it's something a Royalty for an Indian and comfort .

I expect more in this thread abhay,keep it alive and if you don't mind I will post pics of my TBTS.
Old 8th September 2009, 02:54   #25
BHPian

Tank mounting

How would TBTS look if the tank mounting were to be lowered ? I mean making the tank horizontal as opposed to it point slightly upwards. Has anyone done it ? Need some opinions
Old 8th September 2009, 12:31   #26
BHPian

Also forgot to mention that I did finally come around to check the mileage of my bird. It was an amazing 44kpl (distance travelled from reserve to reserve = 275 kms). Most of it was done on the highway/bypass or in city areas with lower traffic. Still I was not expecting the 45 mark (which is what the showroom folks had told me).

People asking me "whats the mileage?" as the first question when they heard that I had bought a new bike were getting on my nerves. finally decided to do the check and I am now doing a second run with same amount of fuel.

Rude7, thanks for the words and yes I will try to keep it alive (sorry haven't gotten around to adding more pictures of my own).
and no you are not being rude ;-)

alter.e.go - not sure haven't seen one, anyone good with PhotoShop?
Old 8th September 2009, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Abhay, Are you facing the issue of the Tbts pulling towards the right? I have been hearing some owners complaining about this. Wanted to know if its a common issue?
Old 8th September 2009, 13:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Where is it? The photos !
Old 8th September 2009, 14:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good writeup Abhay. Waiting for the pics...
Sorry for going slightly OT here, but a question in general to all TB owners there :
I have a friend, who is very seriously (me too! But not as seriously as him..) looking for a recreational bike and has his heart firmly set on the TBTS. However, being all of five feet four inches tall, he isnt very sure about being able to handle it with as much ease as any other bike.
Any inputs from current TB owners, if it might be a tad too intimidating to ride for shorter people?

EDIT : @Abhay : can you please tell us which dealer you bought it from in Pune ?

Last edited by sajo : 8th September 2009 at 14:05. Reason: added a question.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:34   #30
BHPian

bmw_m5 - no I have not noticed the pulling towards right thing, are you talking about while braking?

jkdas - there are a couple of photos in my garage, I did not want to upload the same in this thread so I will add a few different ones - as soon as I get around to taking them

sajo - I am 5' 9" and very comfortable on it, but it is possible for a shorter guy to not have both feet on ground while the engine is off. Best way is to take a test ride or just sit on a TBTS and then decide.
Dealer is Dhone Automobiles near Market Yard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks