Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 20:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer

Hi All,
I was planning to start this thread long back, but due to time constraint ( poor man working In IT field) and was engaged in restoring MM 540 could not start this activity. Now I am comparatively free and Rain God is not happy with Delhi Wallahas nowadays, so I thought it's good time to start this project.I am planning to modify my Bullet.
To brief about my machine: its 1998 Black Colored Machismo CI. It is serving from last 11 years along with my Shogun. I bought this vehicle when I completed my class 10th. After Two days of "Satyagrah" and 1 month of intermittent fight, my parents finally gifted me this vehicle .
This bike was always there in my ups and downs, it has covered almost Lakh Kilometers. But now it need new paint and many more parts. Although six months back I have overhauled Engine, Gearbox, New front tyre, new battery, new wiring but now I want to give it complete new look.
As I am new in Delhi, I don’t know good Bullet Workshop where I can get this work done. Also I got bored with this colour and style. I seriously need help of all THUMPERS to help me in this exercise. I have planned following work/modifications on my BULL.
1. Colour – I have zeroed in on two options a) opt for new metallic Bottle Green colour and design which new LB has. B) go for old retro look with some light shade colour (Cream/Grey).
2. Petrol Tank – should I go for bigger tank (18 Liters).
3. Seat – shall I go for original or stepped seat ( As in Scooter) by Khajanchi.
4. Silencer – original or Goldstar?
5. Rear Mudguard – either go with old D shaped or Electra round Shaped.
6. Rear Light – really interested in Thunderbird LED light, can anyone give feedback of this, AFAIK some Bangalore based company is making them and they consume less battery toooo!!!!!!
7. Front Shocks – Either go with old one or go for New Machismo shockers.
8. Rear Tyre – please suggest good tyre.
Soon I would post pictures of my Wanderer.I would really appreciate your suggestions/comments to restore project. Some of you might have had some colour or other modifications, then please share pictures, it will help many of us to design their Bulls better.
Also I have started this thread to document my restoration project with cost involved to help fellow BHPians to plan their mods.
Reagrds,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 10th September 2009, 21:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi sir all the ones in bold are my opinions if it was me....

1. Colour – I have zeroed in on two options a) opt for new metallic Bottle Green colour and design which new LB has. B) go for old retro look with some light shade colour (Cream/Grey).

I would rather go for a old original style complete with the tank pads and all that that styling was simillar to the current date's machismo but only difference was the tank pads.

2. Petrol Tank – should I go for bigger tank (18 Liters).

The normal tank just does fine the bigger one looks weird to my eyes

3. Seat – shall I go for original or stepped seat ( As in Scooter) by Khajanchi.

Khajanchi makes good seats. but i have been there and sat there for hours i dont like they make it. go for a stepped seat buy original Machismo seat from RE showroom that is for 1600 rs you would be laughing. or you can sit with Khajanchi and get it made infront of your eyes.

4. Silencer – original or Goldstar?
Nothing like Original. but Goldstars from South look great aswell

5. Rear Mudguard – either go with old D shaped or Electra round Shaped.
Depends what you have rite now its condition and what you like. But the D shape makes sure that in rains the Mud is not been thrown on the pilliions back or may be the seat.

6. Rear Light – really interested in Thunderbird LED light, can anyone give feedback of this, AFAIK some Bangalore based company is making them and they consume less battery toooo!!!!!!

Thats a Led light and they are asking stupid money for and it is not strong enough for the day time. this is what i have seen. normal bulb works great

7. Front Shocks – Either go with old one or go for New Machismo shockers.

If you are changing the shocks with the new machismo ones i am sure you understand that you cannot fit the old Fender on to it. cause there are no mounts like that. so you would either need to change the fender or get the mounts built on the shocks. if it was me and i was changing the shocks i would go for something better than the bullet ones.

8. Rear Tyre – please suggest good tyre.

I am currently using the 19inch something from IRC. breaking is not good at all. i feel that if in 19inch the MRF 3.50 is the best.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

is this project still on? I'd have a comment or two but I'll wait to know if the project is still alive.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:27   #4
BHPian

Here is my 2 cents.

1. Colour and Looks - I agree with Deep, original style looks the best.

2. Tank - the normal tank is around 14 liters and the next standard upsize is around 21 liters. but that is only used for long rides to remote areas. Iknow people who have both the tanks and put 14 in city and when going long distance swap it for their 21.

3. Seats - I again agree with Deep, if you looking for standard split seat, then go for the original RE stuff, if they are for Rs.1600 than nothing beats it. If you are looking for something else then Khajanchi is a good option
Old 11th September 2009, 13:07   #5
BHPian

I have seen a bullet going on here in my city, I asked the guy because it looked a bit different, so he told me that it was a 55 model, he had only one seat & everything old style, he restored the bike to the original color, a matte black kind ( he claims ).

The Bike looked fantastic & out-thumped by standard 350. The Bull looked classically amazing. The best thing about that Bull was the original look & feel.
So as @Deep said : go for the original styling with some classic look would be awesome.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

let me post a pic of my bullet though this is not the best angle for the bike and the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-05470017.jpg  

Old 11th September 2009, 20:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^^^ Beautiful man, Amber.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 12th September 2009, 05:02   #8
BHPian

Nice Pic

How about sticking a Diesel engine in the bullet ?
Old 14th September 2009, 13:24   #9
BHPian

That is such a lovely bike my friend? What makes you think that you should modify it? If you are thinking about modifying your bike, sell off your Bullet, buy some other plastic bike and do all the mods you want on it. Quite frankly Bullet is not meant to be modified. It is a classic bike and all you got to do is to keep it clean just like what you have now. The way you have kept your bike is just perfect man. I urge you not to modify it at any cost.

You mentioned that you have problems with vehicle stability when you jam the brakes. This can be because of 2 reasons.

1. Your rims needs truing
2. your front cone and ball set might be worn out.

If you want to find out whether the cone and ball set is OK or not follow this method
1. Park you bike on the main stand
2. keep the handlebar straight
3. move to the front and pull the bottom part of the forks to the front

If you feel there is a kind of a clicking noise and you feel that the whole front assemble that includes the front forks and everything connected there... BINGO!!!
You got to fix your cone and ball set for your bike. Trust me that seriously affects your bikes stability. I hope this helps.

But once again my friend, please consider my kind suggestion. Keep all the money you got with you. Please do not modify your Bullet.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Hi,

How much does the short silencer costs? Anyone any idea?
Old 14th September 2009, 21:38   #11
BHPian

yeah ! i just fitted the RE original Kit ( bend pipe + short bubble silencer ) costed me 1670/-

In the local market that was costing me around 500/- without bend pipe.. but the thump is awesome & i felt its better than the goldstar itself. Others may differ but its only my opinion. no offense to anyone.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

450 RS From Laxmi Udyog Ludhiana. and then if you are in south you would be happy paying around 1000 rs. i fail to understand why are they so expensive in south
Old 15th September 2009, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

You have to see this. This is one of the "looks" I've sought for. The Classic look (not the Standard or the new Classic) is one of the best I've seen. Probably the day I get another Enfield, this will be done.

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-1.jpg
Source: Orkut.com
Old 15th September 2009, 04:46   #14
BHPian

Looks really cool. Is that a horn at the lower end
Old 15th September 2009, 07:35   #15
BHPian

Here are some Pics of a modded bullet.The bike was conceptualised and designed by a friend of mine(Who is a 3D graphics modeller).He supervised the work himself and got it done for a friend of his.Adding these pics with his permission.
Attached Thumbnails
All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-bullet1.jpg  

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-bullet2.jpg  

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-bullet3.jpg  

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-bullet4.jpg  

All Bullet Gurus:: Need your Suggestion : Planning to Modify Bullet-Project Wanderer-bullet5.jpg  

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 15th September 2009 at 07:41.
freewheelburnin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks