Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 16:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Great restoration , your bike looks like mint , just out of showroom . You would be immensely satisfied to see the bike restored to its old glory . your Mech has got a fantastic job
Absolutely looks like a mint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Exhaust pipes looks like brand new from where you sourced them, nice work man.
It is the old exhaust pipes itself. Paint and Chrome job on it has been done very well and that is the reason it looks brand new.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:34   #32
BHPian

Good job done on the restoration, happy riding the beauty.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:19   #33
BHPian

Hey rk,

That is one neat restoration, hats off to you and your humble mechanic. Is the head pattern a bit different, correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Pranav
Old 21st December 2009, 23:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

Very clean restoration! I like everything except the studded tires, be careful with those, especially under wet conditions.

Still 5 tar job!
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Good job done on the restoration, happy riding the beauty.
Thanks a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMS View Post
Hey rk,
That is one neat restoration, hats off to you and your humble mechanic. Is the head pattern a bit different, correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Pranav
@pranav, you are right the head pattern is bit different. During that time some of the bikes came with this type of pattern and they were called "Radial Fin" heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very clean restoration! I like everything except the studded tires, be careful with those, especially under wet conditions.

Still 5 tar job!
Thanks a lot Sir.
Planning to change them once these wear-out, till then need to be very careful under wet conditions.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:29   #36
BHPian

Great restoration , your bike looks splendid
Best part is u have stuck to its true spirit
Long live the KING!!!
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:30   #37
BHPian

rksans, beautiful restoration! just my two paise: try sourcing original/replica black-red-gold tank monograms and the original rear brake lever. it would complete an already stunning restoration.

also, was it done by the Razzak at Shivajinagar, or the guy at Sheshadripuram? just for information, as i have had and heard bad experiences with the shivajinagar guy's work.

Incidentally, the "flower" head is from the Yezdi Model B, and appeared somewhere around 1975-76, if i'm not wrong. advantages i heard include better cooling, slightly better performance (due to higher compression???). am wondering whether to fit one on my RK too.

cheers
rahul
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavanrv View Post
Great restoration , your bike looks splendid
Best part is u have stuck to its true spirit
Long live the KING!!!
Thanks a lot @raghavanrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
rksans, beautiful restoration! just my two paise: try sourcing original/replica black-red-gold tank monograms and the original rear brake lever. it would complete an already stunning restoration.

also, was it done by the Razzak at Shivajinagar, or the guy at Sheshadripuram? just for information, as i have had and heard bad experiences with the shivajinagar guy's work.

Incidentally, the "flower" head is from the Yezdi Model B, and appeared somewhere around 1975-76, if i'm not wrong. advantages i heard include better cooling, slightly better performance (due to higher compression???). am wondering whether to fit one on my RK too.

cheers
rahul
Thanks Rahul.
I am on the look out for the monograms already. I told my mech about my unhappiness about the monogram the day i took the delivery of the bike after restoration.
It was done by Razzak from sheshadripuram.
As far as i know it was during 90's, they came out with this type of head. Advantages was better cooling .
Difficult to get these head nowadays, you need to search a lot.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:02   #39
BHPian

Excellent job. That ride looks brand new - it is a stunner. Have fun with it.

OT: I am riding my RK fairly regularly now, and in the city traffic the RK's braking feels inadequate at times. Has anyone done any mods addressing this issue - what does it involve to fit a modern Disc-brake to the front wheel? And, while we are discussing mods, can the ride comfort be improved by replacing the rear shocks be improved with coiled or gas-filled ones?

Thanks
Teja
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

cheers
rahul
Hi voodoochild: you are right: my 1975 Yezdi (or rather my Dad's Yezdi) had the radial fins. It was, in my opinion, quite powerful. I learnt to ride on that bike. I never did see the radial fins on any other Yezdis: until I saw this RK in this thread.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Excellent job. That ride looks brand new - it is a stunner. Have fun with it.

OT: I am riding my RK fairly regularly now, and in the city traffic the RK's braking feels inadequate at times. Has anyone done any mods addressing this issue - what does it involve to fit a modern Disc-brake to the front wheel? And, while we are discussing mods, can the ride comfort be improved by replacing the rear shocks be improved with coiled or gas-filled ones?

Thanks
Teja
Thanks a lot, Teja.
Rear shocks has been a major concern to me also for a long time. Still the ride comfort is not up to the mark.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:43   #42
BHPian

RK_Sans

Hi,
Your Bike looks WOW....

great work man..

and I would like to know if it is possible to source Jawa silencers and the original Throttle in Blore as I am in the process of restoring my Jawa.

Good luck and wish you many more years of Yezdi Music...
Old 15th April 2010, 13:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Hi,
Your Bike looks WOW....

great work man..

and I would like to know if it is possible to source Jawa silencers and the original Throttle in Blore as I am in the process of restoring my Jawa.

thanks Ajay.
Let me know which model you are looking for the parts. I can try for it.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Hi,
Your Bike looks WOW....

great work man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks a lot @raghavanrv

Honestly, the original parts, quite apart from being very difficult to find, will cost a BOMB in Bangalore. This isn't the best place to source parts if you're out of town anywhere. If you really want good, original parts at something less than astronomical prices, Mysore is the place. Considering the factory was in Mysore you'll have a much better chance there.

Thanks Rahul.
I am on the look out for the monograms already. I told my mech about my unhappiness about the monogram the day i took the delivery of the bike after restoration.
It was done by Razzak from sheshadripuram.
As far as i know it was during 90's, they came out with this type of head. Advantages was better cooling .
Difficult to get these head nowadays, you need to search a lot.
Monograms can be ordered either at Balaji Auto Parts or at the little place around the corner from Razzack's in Shivajinagar. They cost Rs950 in Shivajinagar and Rs.1500 at Balaji's. Yes! I kid you not! They have to be bought as a set of four and not piecemeal.

I must agree with the rest of them here when I say I too am pretty stunned to hear that the radial fin head (or 'butterfly' head as the local mechanics call it) came to you as a standard fitting. This is the first time I'm hearing of it too. The head originally did come with the Yezdi Type B, which was the first model launched after Ideal took over and re-christened the bike Yezdi.

Yeah, they're pretty difficult to find, are much in demand and cost a bomb but they're supposed to be very good at dissipating heat.

Nice restoration job though. Razzak is pretty damn good with that stuff. Spent last Sunday at his place. Mind you, I'm still referring to the Razzak in Shivajinagar. Never heard of a Razzak in Seshadripuram... But mayhaps thats because I'm new to town

Cheers

Rahul
Old 15th April 2010, 19:23   #45
BHPian

Radial Fins

Hey RT13,
this type of head was introduced only on the Model-B for about 2 years in the 70s, and was subsequently discontinued. This head generates a higher compression ratio, enabling a slightly better "punch" to the bike. The compression ratio increase is evident when you hear the revs dropping after a quick blip of the throttle in neutral. The hum you hear is markedly shorter in duration than with the standard RK head.

I've heard from some questionable source that there was another type of radial head introduced specifically for the RK, but i seriously doubt this, since all radial heads i've come across have required the machining to fir the RK. Any experts around to clarify?

Cheers
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks