Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 12:18   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hey RT13,
this type of head was introduced only on the Model-B for about 2 years in the 70s, and was subsequently discontinued. This head generates a higher compression ratio, enabling a slightly better "punch" to the bike. The compression ratio increase is evident when you hear the revs dropping after a quick blip of the throttle in neutral. The hum you hear is markedly shorter in duration than with the standard RK head.

I've heard from some questionable source that there was another type of radial head introduced specifically for the RK, but i seriously doubt this, since all radial heads i've come across have required the machining to fir the RK. Any experts around to clarify?

Cheers
Rahul
ola, there was a radial or porcupine head available for the RK but not in very large numbers, had seen them lying around in the factory. a bud of mine picked up one and is runnin ghis rk on it, there is a marked difference in performance. the reason they were not very widely used was that the shape and angle of the fins required the drill bits used for drillin holes in the head to be quite thin. these used to constantly break and hence they reverted to the straight finned heads.

Cheers
Old 16th April 2010, 13:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
ola, there was a radial or porcupine head available for the RK but not in very large numbers, had seen them lying around in the factory. a bud of mine picked up one and is runnin ghis rk on it, there is a marked difference in performance. the reason they were not very widely used was that the shape and angle of the fins required the drill bits used for drillin holes in the head to be quite thin. these used to constantly break and hence they reverted to the straight finned heads.

Cheers
Is it just the head or the whole engine ? Is it till available to buy ? I am looking for one full set to keep it as spare.
Old 17th April 2010, 09:29   #48
BHPian

@rk_sans: howler's talking about just the radial fin head. Not sure about this head, but i think the Model-B radial head can be bought in bangalore for about 1.5-2k.

@howler: was this RK radial head any different from the older Model-B head? I"m guessing it didnt need to be machined before installation on a Roadking, but any differences identifiable externally?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 18th April 2010, 03:06   #49
BHPian

I had heard earlier from a mechanic very long back that the radiator head was originally that of a BSA Bond. It seemed true since I had a BSA Bond at that time (1992) and both were strikingly similar.
Not sure about his claim, but experts may clarify.
Old 18th April 2010, 17:54   #50
BHPian

KA18, interesting point. They look very similar, but the angle of the fins seems a bit different on the two bikes.
Another bike with similar fin layout was the Enfield (Zundapp) Fury, which was also around during the same period. Interestingly, its head too looks very much the same, although all three bikes were of different displacements. Will try creating a sort of collage of these three on MS Paint, lets see if someone can spot the differences.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 19th April 2010, 12:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
I had heard earlier from a mechanic very long back that the radiator head was originally that of a BSA Bond. It seemed true since I had a BSA Bond at that time (1992) and both were strikingly similar.
Not sure about his claim, but experts may clarify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
@rk_sans: howler's talking about just the radial fin head. Not sure about this head, but i think the Model-B radial head can be bought in bangalore for about 1.5-2k.

@howler: was this RK radial head any different from the older Model-B head? I"m guessing it didnt need to be machined before installation on a Roadking, but any differences identifiable externally?

Cheers
Rahul
@rahul: the roadking head was diff from the b-type, difference being in the number of holes in the head to mount on the cylinder, i imagine the volume of the combustion chamber would also be different.

@ka18: this is not a bsa copy but a CZ one. this desing of head was used on works and production CZs.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:59   #52

RK,

Excellent stuff mate. Have an 95 restored Road-king myself and thinking of getting it re-done again.

Is Raz (Mech) the same person who is situated near the stickering guy near Nataraj theatre.

Also how do i get to know about any Yezdi events in B'lore.

Thnx
Mahaan
Old 12th October 2010, 11:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chik18 View Post
RK,

Excellent stuff mate. Have an 95 restored Road-king myself and thinking of getting it re-done again.

Is Raz (Mech) the same person who is situated near the stickering guy near Nataraj theatre.

Also how do i get to know about any Yezdi events in B'lore.

Thnx
Mahaan
You right, he is the Mech.
Search for "Bangalore Jawa Yezdi Motorcycle Club - 2007" in facebook and add the group. You will get most of the Yezdi events.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Revival of my Yezdi Roadking 250CC (1994)

Hello guys,
I am in need of rear shock absorbers for my Roadking. Any suggestions where i can find in Bangalore.
Any suggestions outside bangalore is also fine.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:37   #55
BHPian

In Mumbai in Khar SV Road Gupta he has them Near Madness Discotheque or Rajasthan Restaurant (Khar local station signal junction)

Also SPARK Auto -- Near Shivaji Park Dadar - Mumbai somewhere near Sena Bhavan

Else the Heaven for Bikes and Car spares --- The famous Opera House (about a kilometer from Grant Road Local Station) where you could even get spares for a FARGO Truck
Old 17th April 2012, 16:40   #56
BHPian

Hi rk_sans, How can the FINN head come on a Roadking that 2 a 1994 model. It looks a Model - B or after market one. Did it have 5 holes or was it with 4 holes? But it looks nice on the RK Regards, Ranjit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks