Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:52   #91
BHPian

Re: Please suggest a new Bike for me!!

^^ this question you are asking of us is a very personal one.
every sentence that you typed in the past 2-3 posts shows your obvious craze for teh duke.
it is like my niece who asked me to choose the better toy among two of her toys. i told her to take teh one in her left hand. then she looks at it and tells me that the one in the right hand is better.
then i say take the one in the right hand. she says the left hand handone is more pretty.

finally ended up buying both.

moral of the story: get the duke and the smile you get every time you get onto the saddle will make up for any 'practical' considerations.
and btw highway runs arent that horrible on the duke. true, it is geared for more city fun but that doesnt mean that its a lemon on highways.
enjoy your purchase and ride safe.
harshaguduru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:11   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
^^ this question you are asking of us is a very personal one.
every sentence that you typed in the past 2-3 posts shows your obvious craze for teh duke.
it is like my niece.... finally ended up buying both.

moral of the story: get the duke and the smile you get every time you get onto the saddle will make up for any 'practical' considerations.
and btw highway runs arent that horrible on the duke. true, it is geared for more city fun but that doesnt mean that its a lemon on highways.
enjoy your purchase and ride safe.
Frankly speaking Im in a similar position as your niece. I want the Duke and the R15 or atleast I want a bike that combines both the youthfulness of the Duke along with the Touring capability of the R15. Im buying the bike to use alternately with the car on the highway runs. The only portion of city street i'll be using are to get to the highway

I know in my mind that if I TD the duke again, i'll be left laughing and giggling like a fool. And I also know the R15 will be a better, well behaved and sedate companion on the highways.

Aargh why cant one bike be bad and the other bike better. Both here are champions in their own right. This is what happens to me whenever I want to buy anything. Whether a watch, clothes, a car or a bike. I hate shopping for this reason. I wish there was some scientific or mathematical formula to deduce which would be a better bike of the two. I never felt I was an adrenaline junkie till I rode the Duke.

Point to note is that, the Duke still has a few issues and complaints keep coming up and I dont know if the Bajaj ASC in Bangalore will be able to resolve all issues like they do in Pune. But the R15 is relatively niggle free.

Looks like I should utilise AlphaKilo's prescribed method of calculating the running costs which would help me choose.
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Now this statement has got me on the horns of a dilemma again. Im actually looking to replace my highway runs in the car with the duke. Now am i making the right choice or should i go for the R15?

Because no matter what the heart wants, the mind always wants the better option. Is the Duke able to keep up highway speeds on straight highways with fun or is it just enjoyable to ride only in the city and the twisties? The yamaha is enjoyable to ride everywhere but i like the fireworks of the duke. Now what to do?

Regards.
It depends on what sort of speeds you plan to do on the highway. The Duke will max out in the 130s while the Yam will pull about 10-15 kmph more. The fireworks come at a cost buddy. In this case, its the Duke's shorter gearing.

Plus on a naked, the wind will hit you post 130 anyways, the fairing of the Yam helps here. This no way means the Duke is a dud on the highway, it can cruise at a ton easily all day long. Put a good helmet n jacket and wallah !

Its pretty evident to me that your heart is set on the Duke. So why buy the Yam when you will keep drooling everytime a Duke passes you on the road?
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:03   #94
Team-BHP Support

True top end, the Duke shall edge the Yamaha.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:20   #95
BHPian

at highway riding or cruising speeds the only big difference would be the wind blast ..moreover the extra ten or 15 kMPH you get from the R15 shouldn't be a deciding factor as you will never cruise at those speeds ever.
It's not safe on our highways no matter how well geared you are.
If finances aren't a critical issue go with your heart ..
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:40   #96
Team-BHP Support

While the R15 will protect the rider better (from wind-blast, 'coz of the fairing), its another story as to how they react with the twist of the wrist.

Due to the shorter gearing, more power the Duke will reach its top end MUCH faster than the R15.

If you really wish to replace the Car with the bike as far as highway ride goes, look no further than the CBR-250R.
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:13   #97
BHPian

Posting this on behalf of my friend.

He is looking at bike primarily for daily commute of around 60km with an occasional highway trip. Amongst the many he test drove, he shortlisted R15 V2 and the pulsar 220NS. OTR prices in Mumbai are 98k for pulsar and 128k for R15.

a) Is R15 really worth the extra premium?
b) Is the build quality of parts better in 220NS than the previous gen. pulsar?
c) The older gen. pulsar start rattling after 3 years of ownership. Do you think the 220NS is a league up?

Looking to finalize and book within a week. Thanks for your help.
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Posting this on behalf of my friend.

He is looking at bike primarily for daily commute of around 60km with an occasional highway trip. Amongst the many he test drove, he shortlisted R15 V2 and the pulsar 220NS. OTR prices in Mumbai are 98k for pulsar and 128k for R15.

a) Is R15 really worth the extra premium?
b) Is the build quality of parts better in 220NS than the previous gen. pulsar?
c) The older gen. pulsar start rattling after 3 years of ownership. Do you think the 220NS is a league up?

Looking to finalize and book within a week. Thanks for your help.
a.) Very very subjective. Depends on his riding style, priorities, usage, preferences etc etc etc. Tell him to take another test ride and take a call himself. The R15 is a better handler but NS is more practical for his 60km daily commute.

b.) Yes.

c.) Only time will tell.

Last edited by narula123 : 2nd September 2012 at 19:47.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:20   #99
BHPian

Quote:
The yamaha is enjoyable to ride everywhere but i like the fireworks of the duke. Now what to do?

Hope this link helps.

http://www.motorbeam.com/tv/honda-cb...eo-comparison/
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:10   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point to note is that, the Duke still has a few issues and complaints keep coming up and I dont know if the Bajaj ASC in Bangalore will be able to resolve all issues like they do in Pune. But the R15 is relatively niggle free.
What issues are you talking about? (ps: I am a Duke owner so thought of butting in here).

I personally do not think there are such issues that could influence a buyer into looking beyond a Duke. Yeah one could look beyond the Duke for other reasons like touring capabilities, top end whack etc.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:50   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
What issues are you talking about? (ps: I am a Duke owner so thought of butting in here).

I personally do not think there are such issues that could influence a buyer into looking beyond a Duke. Yeah one could look beyond the Duke for other reasons like touring capabilities, top end whack etc.
Speak of the devil and he doth appear. Sir I was going to pm you in a few days about the Duke matters since you are staying in Bangalore and probably will be able to advise better. Stayed awake till 3 last night reading all I could about the Duke and the R15 on various forums. Saw many posts of yours on the Duke threads.

What concerns me is the complaints about coolant spill, fuel spill, fork damage issues and leaks. Have you ever faced these on your bike? Are the parts replaced under warranty? And is the ASC friendly with novices like me? Im trying to learn as much as I can from discussions in various threads about bikes.

Top end whack isnt as much of a matter to me as is how much fireworks happen to reach top end Also Duke is a proven tourer atleast from the various trips members have taken to various places.

How does the duke feel on the highways? Is it as planted as an R15? Also did you face any issues riding around on the duke in the rains in namma Bengaluru?

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:02   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speak of the devil and he doth appear. Sir I was going to pm you in a few days about the Duke matters since you are staying in Bangalore and probably will be able to advise better. Stayed awake till 3 last night reading all I could about the Duke and the R15 on various forums. Saw many posts of yours on the Duke threads.

What concerns me is the complaints about coolant spill, fuel spill, fork damage issues and leaks. Have you ever faced these on your bike? Are the parts replaced under warranty? And is the ASC friendly with novices like me? Im trying to learn as much as I can from discussions in various threads about bikes.

Top end whack isnt as much of a matter to me as is how much fireworks happen to reach top end Also Duke is a proven tourer atleast from the various trips members have taken to various places.

How does the duke feel on the highways? Is it as planted as an R15? Also did you face any issues riding around on the duke in the rains in namma Bengaluru?

Thanks
Lol - you gave me a nice name "devil":-P I have tried to answer most of your queries. Requesting you to take some of it in the right spirit.

Coolant spill - this is not an issue per se. If you overfill the coolant reserve tank - there would be spillage. Solution: Please do not overfill.
If you go on bad roads - a few drops may spill out. Solution: No solution! lol.

Fuel spill: Same funda as above. Fill fuel till where the cone of the fuel tank opening starts. Do not fill till the brim. Yes - You will distinctly smell petrol for a few kms. Solution: Learn to enjoy the smell of petrol for a few kms. I haven't come across fuel spilling out of the tank as yet.

Fork damage/Leaks: This is not a common issue. I'd rather put it this way - This is not an inherent issue with the Duke though this has been reported by a couple of them.

Parts under warranty: If the part is covered under warranty - then why Bajay, any other manufacturer is bound to replace those parts under warranty (IF the parts have failed - no replacement under warranty if the parts have been abused - for that you have insurance) <grin>

Lot of fireworks happen at the top end. do carry a fire extinguisher around! (kidding) You need to get there to feel it. You are right - Duke has travelled places! If you have the will, Duke makes the way!

Planted - I would say Duke stays grounded most of the times. I have ridden in the rains - Except for higher laundry bills, I have not faced any other issues with the Duke.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Lol - you gave me a nice name "devil":-P I have tried to answer most of your queries. Requesting you to take some of it in the right spirit.
Sir not meant to offend you in anyway at all. Just hadnt expected your reply to be there even without my asking. This must be taken as a divine intervention to tilt me more towards the Duke.

Quote:
Coolant spill - this is not an issue per se. If you overfill the coolant reserve tank - there would be spillage. Solution: Please do not overfill.
If you go on bad roads - a few drops may spill out. Solution: No solution! lol.
I did see a coolant container near on the RHS front of the tank on the TD vehicle. The way every thing can be seen on the Duke is truly amazing. I could live with anything just as long as the bike functions well enough to bring a smile on my face. How do you manage smiling everyday for so many daysl?

Quote:
Fuel spill: Same funda as above. Fill fuel till where the cone of the fuel tank opening starts. Do not fill till the brim. Yes - You will distinctly smell petrol for a few kms. Solution: Learn to enjoy the smell of petrol for a few kms. I haven't come across fuel spilling out of the tank as yet.
Hmm was always ok with the smell of petrol so not an issue here unless the bike is on fire.

Quote:
Fork damage/Leaks: This is not a common issue. I'd rather put it this way - This is not an inherent issue with the Duke though this has been reported by a couple of them.

Parts under warranty: If the part is covered under warranty - then why Bajay, any other manufacturer is bound to replace those parts under warranty (IF the parts have failed - no replacement under warranty if the parts have been abused - for that you have insurance) <grin>
So what about the people complaining about the forks and misted MIDs. Will they get replacement under warranty or insurance?

Quote:
Lot of fireworks happen at the top end. do carry a fire extinguisher around! (kidding) You need to get there to feel it. You are right - Duke has travelled places! If you have the will, Duke makes the way!
Why dont you update your thread these days sir? Have you done any touring on the Duke? If its not much trouble, could you tell us about your service costs?

Quote:
Planted - I would say Duke stays grounded most of the times. I have ridden in the rains - Except for higher laundry bills, I have not faced any other issues with the Duke.
What does most of the times mean? Its rideable at the top end speeds right or is the wind blast very much?
Also what do you think of the headlamps? Are they good enough at night? I did not get the chance to TD at night. Also are there any issues with warranty in case we want to upgrade the bulbs?

One concern I have is that, I saw many wires traversing the bike near the trellis frame quite close to the radiator and engine block. These wires just had black tape in them. How do they hold up to daily riding in city traffic?

Last but not the least, what would you say you hate in the Duke or have quite a lot of problem with? Anything i should be worried about as a major issue?

Thanks for your detailed replies. Really helpful sir.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir not meant to offend you in anyway at all. Just hadnt expected your reply to be there even without my asking. This must be taken as a divine intervention to tilt me more towards the Duke.

I did see a coolant container near on the RHS front of the tank on the TD vehicle. The way every thing can be seen on the Duke is truly amazing. I could live with anything just as long as the bike functions well enough to bring a smile on my face. How do you manage smiling everyday for so many daysl?

Hmm was always ok with the smell of petrol so not an issue here unless the bike is on fire.

So what about the people complaining about the forks and misted MIDs. Will they get replacement under warranty or insurance?

Why dont you update your thread these days sir? Have you done any touring on the Duke? If its not much trouble, could you tell us about your service costs?

What does most of the times mean? Its rideable at the top end speeds right or is the wind blast very much?
Also what do you think of the headlamps? Are they good enough at night? I did not get the chance to TD at night. Also are there any issues with warranty in case we want to upgrade the bulbs?

One concern I have is that, I saw many wires traversing the bike near the trellis frame quite close to the radiator and engine block. These wires just had black tape in them. How do they hold up to daily riding in city traffic?

Last but not the least, what would you say you hate in the Duke or have quite a lot of problem with? Anything i should be worried about as a major issue?

Thanks for your detailed replies. Really helpful sir.

First the nice name devil and then immediately the knighthood? :( Call me Shub/Shubz/Bro/Abbe O anything.. but Sir! lol

Bike sets you on fire and you gonna love every moment of that! People complaining of forks/misted MID - Yet again I am saying this is NOT inherent of the Duke. And as my other bro doc mentioned - Bajaj are looking into those examples and will take care of the same. YES - these would be covered by insurance - unless you tried to do cartwheeling with the Duke.

Why am not updating thread - I changed jobs 3 months ago and only now I am kinda settling into the same and finding some time to peek in here.
When I say planted most of the time - I mean it depends on your riding/braking style. You can't expect the Duke to be planted irrespective of how you ride it. (this holds good for any bike for that matter) But I must tell you - There is never a dull moment with the Duke and also you feel most safe on it.

At top ends - depends on the wind. If you have a head wind - the wind blasts, blasts away to glory! can be minimized a wee bit by crouching.
Wires in black tape - My odo reading is about 4500 - and i don't see anything going wrong so far.

What I hate in my Duke - 1. It refuses to bore me!

Anything you need to worry about: yes, chances of wife (if you are married), girlfriend ditching you/giving up on you is high as Duke takes away all your attention :P
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:46   #105
Senior - BHPian

On the headwind bit, I know guys who ride full faired bikes will laugh at this, but the bikini deflector above the Duke's headlight actually is beautifully designed and functional at that.

In neutral riding position, listen to the wind noise inside your helmet.

Then crouch as if doing a top speed run, chin to tank, and listen to the noise again.

Tell me the difference !

The bike is rock stable till where she will go. Never had wind blast or cross-wind issues either.

Yes, the back end does get skittish if you are not gentle with the rear brake. You learn to quickly direct all your aggression to the front.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks