Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 10:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the standard 350 now. Any idea how much it will cost for a used one less than 3 years old?
Here in Trivandrum, anything with the RE badge in any condition the asking rate will be 1 Lakh be it UCE or CI. A second hand CI 350 would be worth buying but if it is the UCE, I would ask you to go for a new one. The problem with the second hand UCEs is that if some one sells you a problematic motorcycle, it will rip your wallet.
@Tushar : You guys up North are lucky. A CI bullet for 80K. Here for anything with the gear shifter on the right side, the asking price is Rs.1 lakh and above. Recently at the auction of old bullets from the Police force, the non running bullets got a bid of 80K.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 11:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Here in Trivandrum, anything with the RE badge in any condition the asking rate will be 1 Lakh be it UCE or CI. A second hand CI 350 would be worth buying but if it is the UCE, I would ask you to go for a new one. The problem with the second hand UCEs is that if some one sells you a problematic motorcycle, it will rip your wallet.
Thanks Adrian. I am running on a tight budget. The max I can shell out is 80k ( and too considering selling my old yamaha ). I am new to the world of RE. So I was looking for a good 350 UCE ( anything other than the Thunderbird ).

OT : Where are you staying in Trivandrum? I live near East Fort.
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would ask you to go for a new one. The problem with the second hand UCEs is that if some one sells you a problematic motorcycle, it will rip your wallet.
Agreed. Old Enfields come with their fare share of problems even if they are in a good condition.

Quote:
@Tushar : You guys up North are lucky. A CI bullet for 80K. Here for anything with the gear shifter on the right side, the asking price is Rs.1 lakh and above. Recently at the auction of old bullets from the Police force, the non running bullets got a bid of 80K.
regards adrian
It's not really all that different. All CI owners start off at Rs 1 lakh, but if you bargain hard enough you can get one for 80-85k. Cast Iron or Machismo 500's are where bargaining gets hard.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 12:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Adrian. I am running on a tight budget. The max I can shell out is 80k ( and too considering selling my old yamaha ). I am new to the world of RE. So I was looking for a good 350 UCE ( anything other than the Thunderbird ).
I don't think that you can get a Standard UCE 350 for 80K (in good condition) in Trivandrum. Better to shell out an additional 20k and go for a new one.
OT: I am from Thirumala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Agreed. Old Enfields come with their fare share of problems even if they are in a good condition.
It's not really all that different. All CI owners start off at Rs 1 lakh, but if you bargain hard enough you can get one for 80-85k. Cast Iron or Machismo 500's are where bargaining gets hard.
Here the starting price will be 1.5 lakhs and may come down to 1 lakh 15 thousand. If you bargain below 1 lakh you can expect to get murdered by the owner.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 12:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have seen 350s going for higher than 1.3 lacs now. The used Bullet market has gone nuts. Bonkers. I sold my LB to a friend for 1.1 lacs in 2010, which at the time, in spite of its condition, was considered a good price. These same LBs are getting easily upward of 1.5 lacs now. With a lot more kms, in less than top condition. CI 500s is a different ballgame altogether. My Insurance premium notice shows her IDV to be 26,000 and change now incidentally. To me she continues to be priceless. And the way things are going, even in the collectors market, she soon will be.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 19:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
CI 500s is a different ballgame altogether. And the way things are going, even in the collectors market, she soon will be.
Doc, it has already become a collectors item here. The 500 in stock condition / paint is a rare sight. The most interesting fact is that those who posses these beauties won't sell it no matter what you offer in price.
Old 12th November 2014, 19:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
regards adrian
In bareilly(UP) , even 80k is too much unless the bike is in top condition. The demand is quite high here but 75/80k will get you a early 80-late 2000 model with engine rebuilt or in very good condition. I myself paid 40k for an 86 navy disposal last november , decent condition (6.5/10 - starts 9/10 times in first kick itself , gearbox just bad) . Still kick myself for letting go of a paper less '62 that was available for 20k( I kid you not ) !!! 2 weeks later upon enquiry , I am told an OLX ad immediately attracted interest and the bike went to hyderabad for 40k . There is a '68 available or was available until last month for 40k , engine is running but rims(not stock)/suspension etc need to be replaced . A BSA 250cc that emits foul smoke has an asking price of 1L though , the engine is in pathetic condition too , barely any pull . CI 500cc are non existent , simply non existent - think those can be found only in bigger cities and among enthusiasts no less . These pre 75 models in certain markets have a significantly higher asking price because of the 14kg crank and the age appeal .

My own bull which was purchased for 40k and had extensively modification(all cosmetic and minor engine refinement ) to the cost of 37k and a month of my time can fetch 80k in ready cash no bargaining . Delhi same bike will likely fetch 1-1.2L .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 09:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

eyesice mate as you are on a tight budget, there are few options from the RE stable. The price of used CI's and new UCE's are almost on par with just a minor difference. In the land (Kerala) where you live which is my native place them mallus love their CI's to the core so the asking price is on a higher side especially the older ones. If you are very lucky you may get one in your budget . My suggestion to you is to ride both the CI and the UCE models and to see which appeals to you and then decide. I was going to suggest you the Thunderbird 350 UCE but since you have decided against it I won't be able advice you further. I would suggest you the Bullet Standard 350 UCE, you can increase your budget by saving some money during the waiting period you will not regret it.
navin_v8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, it has already become a collectors item here. The 500 in stock condition / paint is a rare sight. The most interesting fact is that those who posses these beauties won't sell it no matter what you offer in price.
My tank got knackered because I did not store it correctly all these years while I was using my "rough use" white tank and tool box spare set.

I am getting the tank repainted and relined and the 'Enfield' on both sides restickered (the residual petrol fumes destroyed the laquer in a patch as well as the gold piping and part of the lettering - I had wrapped up the tank in an old bed sheet and stored it safely in my under-bed built in storage).

Do you guys have any idea about the original Dupont paint code for the Athena Grey of the Royal Enfield factory? If so please help. My unending gratitude and a nice treat would be my small token of brother Bulleteer appreciation!
Old 13th November 2014, 11:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Do you guys have any idea about the original Dupont paint code for the Athena Grey of the Royal Enfield factory?
I have a spare parts manual of retired models ( I am such a pack rat !) but can't upload here due to the file size. RE is providing each part painted in Athena Grey of the bullet 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500-paint-code.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 13th November 2014 at 11:37.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a spare parts manual of retired models ( I am such a pack rat !) but can't upload here due to the file size. RE is providing each part painted in Athena Grey of the bullet 500.
Attachment 1308218
Adrian boss, you are now officially my new fresh minted HERO of TEAM BHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But buddy, I do not see Athena Grey anywhere in that image?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:

But buddy, I do not see Athena Grey anywhere in that image?
Doc, it is actually the Royal silver ash corresponding to the Bullet 500. I am posting the top portion of the page. Kindly count the grids and co relate.
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500-paint-code-2.jpg or if you want to go for a new tank
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500-tank.jpg
similarly there are part nos for front mudguard , air filter cover, fork stays and so on.

If some one advice me on how to upload files with heavy size (it is a 26.9 MB file), I will be glad to upload the parts manual for the enthusiasts.

Last edited by adrian : 13th November 2014 at 11:51.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Adrian, wasn't Silver Ash one of the color combos for the Lightning?

Athena Grey is the official color of the Std 500. Always was till the black ES one eventually came along (just before RE discontinued the CI 500 altogether).
Old 13th November 2014, 12:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Adrian, wasn't Silver Ash one of the color combos for the Lightning?

Athena Grey is the official color of the Std 500. Always was till the black ES one eventually came along (just before RE discontinued the CI 500 altogether).
Doc, I don't have a deep knowledge into the older models, but I think you will be able to figure it out if you refer to the parts manual. Here is a link that hosts this file, but the thing is that you will have to register with them to download
http://www.scribd.com/doc/238401678/...arts-Catalogue
regards adrian
Old 13th November 2014, 12:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen 350s going for higher than 1.3 lacs now. The used Bullet market has gone nuts. Bonkers. I sold my LB to a friend for 1.1 lacs in 2010, which at the time, in spite of its condition, was considered a good price. These same LBs are getting easily upward of 1.5 lacs now.
I can understand the 'nostalgia' factor for the CI Bulls and hence the prices rising to heavens.

But what is so special about the Lean Burn (I presume you are referring to the AVLs)? It neither has the starting torque of the CI engine, nor the thump.
Nor did it come with gears on right side with neutral lever.
The only advantage I see is the CDI ignition - which can work without battery. But this was also replaced by TCI from the AVLs later in their lives (2004-05 onwards).

Disclosure: I own TB350 AVL CDI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks