Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 13:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Getting new bike-Apache RTR 160/180,Unicorn/Dazzler?Bought Suzuki GS150R Pg 5

I am thinking of going for a new bike. I am looking at the Apache(160,180) and Uni twins(CB Uni, Dazzler).

I currently own a FieroF2. It has served me very well for the past four years. But I am finding the availability of parts an issue and the power output is very much less for a 150CC bike (12BHP). But it is very much drivable and in good condition (according to me)

I travel around 40Kms everyday(20 each way) and is wholly on the highway. I have driven my friend's Unicorn(alloy wheels). It is smooth and has good power delivery. But I find the headlights very much inadequate after being used to the Fiero's headlights. I am pretty sure the Apache's headlights will be as good as the Fiero's.

I am not too sure about the reliability of Apache (when compared to the Hondas). But I love the power that comes with them. I have driven the Apache a couple of times and I am OK with the driving position. I am not into long drives and this is basically for going from point A to B, albeit in a powerful fashion.

So which one would be better for me? I very much wanted the Unicorn last time around itself. But there are bikes with better equipments in the market now.
Mods: Please merge this with any other existing thread, if available.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

unicorn is a nice all rounder, and is very good for highway commute - if headlight is the only issue making you not to buy unicorn, you can easily upgrade the stock headlight to 50/55W bulb - it will give a better light output.
You can try the new dazzler - I am not sure how good the throw of the beam from the new shape headlight.

If you have ridden apache, and have no issues with the seating position, and if you like revving up your bike, then Apache is the bike for you.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Also why is the Apache RTR 160( not the FI version) not listed in TVS website? But I am able to see it if I click on the FI bike and its micro-site.

I don't want to end up with a bike which is at its end of life. I have faced many issues because of this with my FieroF2. Anybody has any information on this?
Old 21st July 2010, 16:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi SchumiFan

I would suggest the Dazzler to you. It is a new, plus lightweight & peppy bike.
But, do consider proximity of service centre when you make a decision.

Apache180's riding position is different from FieroF2's. Wonder whether you would be comfortable with that, otherwise it is good bike (though it would be expensive to run as compared to the Dazzler).
Old 21st July 2010, 16:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered the Suzuki GS 150-R? In my book this comes even ahead of the Unicorn.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi SchumiFan

I would suggest the Dazzler to you. It is a new, plus lightweight & peppy bike.
But, do consider proximity of service centre when you make a decision.

Apache180's riding position is different from FieroF2's. Wonder whether you would be comfortable with that, otherwise it is good bike (though it would be expensive to run as compared to the Dazzler).
I have missed this important point. I am very much on the healthier side So I am looking at little more power for my new bike. I live with a 12BHP one so 14 BHP doesn't seem too big for an upgrade. Also the waiting list story puts me off but the sheer smoothness of the bike made me consider it in my list.
And as I said previously I have ridden the RTR 160 twice before and I am OK with the driving position since I only use it for office trip and other saturday shopping trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Have you considered the Suzuki GS 150-R? In my book this comes even ahead of the Unicorn.
One problem with the GS 150-R is that it is not popular. I don't find many takers for it. So I am doubtful of its performance. Also it is lower in its power output but atleast on paper it has more torque than the RTR.

I like the idea of 6th gear having lived with 4 gears all these years.
But this bike simply doesn't have an USP or stick its head out of the crowd with its features.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
One problem with the GS 150-R is that it is not popular. I don't find many takers for it. So I am doubtful of its performance. Also it is lower in its power output but atleast on paper it has more torque than the RTR.

I like the idea of 6th gear having lived with 4 gears all these years.
But this bike simply doesn't have an USP or stick its head out of the crowd with its features.
I would suggest you TD it anyway. Don't go just by figures on paper. I was very impressed by the TD, though I postponed my bike purchase. The other bikes I tested were Uni (brother's) and an RTR 180 from the show room. The GS 150 was way better than both in my opinion.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:02   #8
BHPian

How about the Fz & the Fazer from Yamaha ? These are excellent bikes and IMHO you should stick with Honda or Yamaha for your requirement as both makes are way above Bajaj & TVS in sheer quality.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The other bikes I tested were Uni (brother's) and an RTR 180 from the show room. The GS 150 was way better than both in my opinion.
Never can a GS be as smooth as a Uni and nor it can be as fun as the RTR.

Either consider an RTR 180 or a CB-Dazzler and do take a TR of GS-150R to see what the fuss is all about and also Yamaha FZ (hope you shall come away impressed).

Last edited by Sheel : 21st July 2010 at 17:05.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not into long drives and this is basically for going from point A to B, albeit in a powerful fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Either consider an RTR 180 or a CB-Dazzler and do take a TR of GS-150R to see what the fuss is all about and also Yamaha FZ (hope you shall come away impressed).
What he wants basically is a good commuter, with some fun element thrown in. That was what I also wanted, and the GS 150 fit the bill perfectly. He is already riding a Fiero, which is nothing but a Suzuki. The RTR is a derivative of this, but not as smooth or as refined. I personally do not prefer bikes from the TVS/Bajaj stables.

I was also skeptical before riding the GS, that is why I suggest him a TD anyway!

If what you want is resale value later on as well as a refined ride now, go for the Uni with eyes wide shut! Both the GS and RTR will fetch you only peanuts in this respect! The FZ looks fantastic, but was not very practical for me. I need some luggage carrying capacity, also my wife rides side saddle on the pillion to work everyday, and the FZ is a strict no-no for both! I also felt for the price it was all show and no go - would have been better with a bigger engine though.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st July 2010 at 17:36.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
How about the Fz & the Fazer from Yamaha ? These are excellent bikes and IMHO you should stick with Honda or Yamaha for your requirement as both makes are way above Bajaj & TVS in sheer quality.
The 180 is too fast for me. I know I can handle it but I am also looking at getting some mileage too which I doubt the RTR 180 will provide. I am not too impressed with the FZ's. The engine sounds like a regular 150cc engine and not like the muted purr of the Unicorn. Maybe I am looking at perfection in all kinds but I would rather have a screaming engine or a muted one and not something in between.
Finally, I feel the FZ's are overpriced plus it doesn't get me enough mileage with those wide tires.

Quote:
What he wants basically is a good commuter, with some fun element thrown in. That was what I also wanted, and the GS 150 fit the bill perfectly. He is already riding a Fiero, which is nothing but a Suzuki. The RTR is a derivative of this, but not as smooth or as refined. I personally do not prefer bikes from the TVS/Bajaj stables.

I was also skeptical before riding the GS, that is why I suggest him a TD anyway!

If what you want is resale value later on as well as a refined ride now, go for the Uni with eyes wide shut! Both the GS and RTR will fetch you only peanuts in this respect! The FZ is fantastic, but was not very practical for me. I need some luggage carrying capacity, also my wife rides side saddle on the pillion to work everyday, and the FZ is a strict no-no for both! I also felt for the price it was all show and no go - would have been better with a bigger engine though.
I am not looking to sell my Fiero so I would definitely not sell the new bike and it will be with me for life. Hence the question of re-sale value is out.
I am looking at Suzuki as the Chevy of bikes. I am doubtful of their commitment to this market. They still haven't established their foot-hold here so I am apprehensive of buying their bikes. I will take a TD though and see if it suits my needs. Thanks much!
Old 21st July 2010, 17:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

@SchumiFan : Don't write off GS - do a TD, and who knows, may be the bike will impress you.

If you are looking for years of trouble free use, coupled with a smooth engine and superb gearbox, you cannot go wrong with Unicorn.

Add mileage to the fun-to-ride factor and daily use, Unicorn becomes the natural choice than RTR.
Old 21st July 2010, 18:52   #13
BHPian

I am a reasonably pleased Unicorn owner.

The thinks I like
  • Smooth baby Smooth
  • No quality issues whatso ever
  • Looks and name( classy and not cheesy like Hunk )
  • Good low end torque
  • Decent grip and braking

Not so nice things
  • Rotten low speed ride for light weight riders( ~ 60 kg )
  • Saddle height is a bit tall for short riders ( 5' 6" )
  • Mileage is not great when you ride in the city and running short errands ( 35- 45)
  • *** is always busy and there is no personal care for biking enthusiasts ( The Yam dealer here caters to the special requests and has some nice add ons and seems to be focus towards enthusiasts)
  • Its a heavy ( not flickable like RTR and P135)
  • Personnaly I feel that its under geared for highway . ( GS should be great in this aspect, also you could change the sprockets to suite heavy highway usage)
Old 21st July 2010, 19:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at Suzuki as the Chevy of bikes. I am doubtful of their commitment to this market. They still haven't established their foot-hold here so I am apprehensive of buying their bikes. I will take a TD though and see if it suits my needs. Thanks much!
I disagree! They are here for the long haul, that is why they broke off with TVS and went alone, gifting the Fiero to TVS! They also seem to be bringing some synergy with their car operations - ABT Maruti is also a dealer for Suzuki bikes (though with a separate facility) in Chennai, and I am sure it is happening in other cities as well.

I would buy only the GS 150/Unicorn as my next bike. If I want a bigger one it will be the ZMA without a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
.I feel that its under geared for highway . ( GS should be great in this aspect, also you could change the sprockets to suite heavy highway usage)
I would not say that, though it could have been better. Anyway the OP is not looking at long highway rides, at least not on a regular basis. But the GS is definitely a good compromise for both city and highway. For more highway use, it should be the ZMA any day.

Last edited by Gansan : 21st July 2010 at 20:00.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

@greenmachine

I have found Unicorn more stable while flicking than RTR - Uni is a stable highway runner, and with some simple modes, you can alter the character the way you like. The bike do have impressive highway cruising manners, but if I need something better than Uni for highway cruising, then the choice will be ZMA, if I am not looking at Royal Enfield stables.

I personally hate the name Unicorn - any day, I will pick up a name likde CB-150F than Unicorn.

I never trust any authorized services centers for anything - if you want your bike to be treated well, it is almost always better to find a knowledgeable, accessible independent mechanic - though it is not easy, it will help you a lot in long run.

Last edited by theexperthand : 22nd July 2010 at 10:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks