No.RX100 is wonderful,Dikhave pe mat jao,apni akal lagao 36 85.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Dilemma in selling RX100

Dear folks,

Need some help in clearing my confusion

Let me start with some philosophical talk first.

Change is inevitable. Same rule applies for Mortals, immortals too.I believed this for my entire life. Always tried the formula of 'No strings (read: emotional strings) attached’. This gave me some or other reason and push to apply changes in my life.(Thus, I add spice to my life!!)

OK..Now why all this philosophical(I can’t resist to use the word filla-a-soapical,as my boss used this pronunciation for entire his life)things on team-bhp?

Ok somebody sent me PM...' Kuchh to bol',Lamba mat khinch..

Here is my dilemma and seeking opinions of all knowledgeble community here.

As most of you people have seen my RX in some of the posts, mine is 1990 Yamaha stock condition(Showroom kandition sar!!)..

Pictures speak better than words so check it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1977415

Now, after using it for so many years,I remembered the 1st paragraph of this confusing post.

Change is inevitable. BLAH BLAH....This gave me some or other reason and push to apply changes in my life.(Thus,I add spice to my life!!)..again blah blah..

Yesterday night, I thought of selling my Rx100.(Could not sleep peacefully after that I must admit!)
Most of you must be surprised and thought of kicking me out of this forum as loyal 'Yamowners' would not like this idea.('Gaddar!!'...some one sent me one more gift!!)

No..I am not in need of any quick bucks and will not be for next 10 years at least.

Reasons can be:

1. 1st paragraph of this confusion
2. I am no more in my early 20's
3. No need of adrenaline rushing(Grrushing..should I say?) thru' my body as most of 'Yamowners' swear when they ride their beauties.I have already enough of it
4. I am in need of ultra smooth engine which makes less noise(What are you talking...are you mad?? It is not noise,it is music to ears, somebody said Received some 5-6 PMs in my mailbox)
5. I need some modern machine in range of 150-200 cc which will help me to cruise at good speed of 60-95kmph.Continuous top end like this can be bit problem on RX.
6. I may be no mood to keep running around for spares as I have done for many Yams so far!
Ooops..it seems enough. I am already villain in Yamowner's mind.But,this is my sincere attempt to clear my confusion.

I used RX like normal user and kept it in immaculate condition but now tired of using the same machine again and again.I have seen lot of good motorcycles (Unicorn-Urban use and Avenger-Long crusing capabilities).I may consider Thunderbird even.

Now,I am scared!!

Disadvantages of selling Rx100:

1. Losing out euphoria of having one prized possession since 1990 which is still in pristine condition.
2. Novelty of RX owner...'Dekho dekho RX ja rahi hai' type talk by others.In short,I will not have 'Neighbours envy,owners pride'
3. May get RX sickness if I don't drive it for some days.
So, these are all qualitative benefits which I will be losing out.

I am getting 50k for my RX.
.Somebody said,keep both the bikes.That is not possible.

What should I do?? Should I sell my RX100??
Old 21st July 2010, 16:56   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
Yesterday night, I thought of selling my Rx100.(Could not sleep peacefully after that I must admit!)
If you can't sleep, keep it never matter what!

Quote:

I am getting 50k for my RX.
.Somebody said,keep both the bikes.That is not possible.
Sell it, if you can overcome the first condition above. I bet that is a good deal of money for that baby!
Old 21st July 2010, 17:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

I have a very modern Motorcycle by Indian standards and one good one for my commute and I am desperately searching for an RX.

^^Hope it hasn't helped you.
Old 21st July 2010, 19:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

my 60ish year old dad regrets selling his RX in 2002 for 27k.
Trust me, you're not too old for an RX yet
Old 21st July 2010, 19:39   #5
BHPian

simple... Just borrow your friend's bike for a week. After a week ride your RX... you will get the answer.
Old 21st July 2010, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Sid - Here're my thoughts on your post

Quote:
What has this got to do with retaining or selling an RX?

Quote:
3. No need of adrenaline rushing(Grrushing..should I say?) thru' my body as most of 'Yamowners' swear when they ride their beauties.I have already enough of it
Rightly said; if you're planning to buy TVS50, then its very right that you can sell RX as you don't need of adrenaline rush.

Quote:
4. I am in need of ultra smooth engine which makes less noise(What are you talking...are you mad?? It is not noise,it is music to ears, somebody said Received some 5-6 PMs in my mailbox)
No comments; upto you; you may alternatively get a catcon (RX135) & fit it to make less noise

Quote:
5. I need some modern machine in range of 150-200 cc which will help me to cruise at good speed of 60-95kmph.Continuous top end like this can be bit problem on RX.
Oh!!! is that so? You know what? I didn't know about this factor & about a month ago, I did about 840 Kms in 40 hours from Chennai - Yercaud - Chennai; when coming back from Yercaud, my RX was chasing R15's, ZMA's. The throttle was wide open for about 125 Kms from Vellore to Chennai. I hope you're beginning to change this thought of yours.

Quote:
6. I may be no mood to keep running around for spares as I have done for many Yams so far!
You're in Pune right? Pls don't tell this for heaven sake!!! Go over to this place & you can find everything except cylinder
Yamaha Factory Shop
New #1087
New Link Road
Malad West
Mumbai -400064
Phone: 022-42102700, 022-42102701, 022-42102702
Mobile: 9967483355
Contact Person: Mr. Ajay Bari

Hope I was able to clear your confusion

Edit - If you don't take my comment as offence, I know what's your confusion
Quote:
I am getting 50k for my RX..
You're in two state of mind that you're getting such a high figure for a 20 year old steed; you want to retain the steed as well as afraid that you may not get a better offer sometime in future.

Last edited by aargee : 21st July 2010 at 19:48.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sid - Here're my thoughts on your post
What has this got to do with retaining or selling an RX?
Good Q.I thought RX is more youthful and now I do not drive fast very regularly.But,yes,I must say,you raised a valid point.I eat my words.Thanks

Quote:
Rightly said; if you're planning to buy TVS50, then its very right that you can sell RX as you don't need of adrenaline rush.
No way!! You are convincing me now to retain RX.

Quote:
@No comments; upto you; you may alternatively get a catcon (RX135) & fit it to make less noise
My RX makes more noise actually than most of other RX100.The beats are loud actually.I don't want to change it to catcon but if somebody can suggest solution in existing setup,it will be great.

Quote:
Oh!!! is that so? You know what? I didn't know about this factor & about a month ago, I did about 840 Kms in 40 hours from Chennai - Yercaud - Chennai; when coming back from Yercaud, my RX was chasing R15's, ZMA's. The throttle was wide open for about 125 Kms from Vellore to Chennai. I hope you're beginning to change this thought of yours.
You are killing me by sarcasism.Accepted...IMO,But,sometimes top end gets edgy and not that smooth. NOM.

Quote:
You're in Pune right? Pls don't tell this for heaven sake!!! Go over to this place & you can find everything except cylinder
Yamaha Factory Shop
New #1087
New Link Road
Malad West
Mumbai -400064
Phone: 022-42102700, 022-42102701, 022-42102702
Mobile: 9967483355
Contact Person: Mr. Ajay Bari

Hope I was able to clear your confusion

Edit - If you don't take my comment as offence, I know what's your confusion
Not taking your comments as offence dude,I was expecting real comments from you people.Thanks for your time for writing this to me and sharing the Phone numbers.Let me admit that such comments I was expecting from all who will help me to clear my confusion

Quote:
You're in two state of mind that you're getting such a high figure for a 20 year old steed; you want to retain the steed as well as afraid that you may not get a better offer sometime in future.
Yes true.. with all the comments and expect some more to pour in..

Kudos to our community
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Hey Sid,

I can understand what is going thru your mind. I have been sailing thru the same. I have a RD350 and now that I have shifted to some different location getting it serviced or for even a small tit-bit related to it takes me 2 hours to visit the garage. Also, getting parts is another story all together. I have used my RD for commuting as well as on long trips. For now being alone at new place taking it on long drive alone may turn up into a nightmare. This is when I started thinking of getting a 4s above 200cc. But currently have no option other that P220 so waiting for a Yam or Honda to launch one.

But believe me, I have seen people in my RD group selling it off for getting a new CBR / other upgrade and after few months searching for another RD.

It costs alot to maintain a 2s and hardship to find parts (U r lucky to have rx100) but all pays off well with a single drag of that blue streak on the road with head turning around "some appreciating the 2s Yam rockets from past, more cursing and complaining of nuisance".

For the love of travelling and exploring new places thought of selling it off against a 4stroker but now I know and have realized better to have my 2s with me.

Its not about the condition your bike is in or the way you have maintained it but the time and energy that it took to keep it the way it should be.

If you are prepared yourself to say, "Wow! i owned it once" after seeing one on the street then sure go ahead and sell it off. You have a strong heart :-)
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am getting 50k for my RX..Somebody said,keep both the bikes.That is not possible.

What should I do?? Should I sell my RX100??
Hi Siddharth,

Let me not get into the nitty gritties, I feel, it is your call from within, which should decide whether to keep the bike or not. If you no longer have the urge/desire for keeping a RX (despite having such a beautiful piece) it is better to part with it. Moreover, if you decide to go ahead, please ensure that you sell it to a guy who appreciates/understands what he is buying.

Spike

PS- I am after seeing your post.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd July 2010 at 11:47.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Yes its your call... think over it and decide. An offer of 1.25 was too tempting for me too for my RD but dropped the deal. That was me.
You need to think yourself over it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:

No..I am not in need of any quick bucks and will not be for next 10 years at least.
Siddharth, if you are not in need of any quick bucks, then why do you want to sell the bike? You can buy a modern bike and keep the RX as a spare bike for your weekend drives.

Quote:
Has age got anything to do with owning a bike? It is all that mind matters.

And why do you want to grow old?

Quote:
I don't know why you are saying so, but I feel RX has a very smooth engine. If you feel yours is not smooth, then you'll have to get the engine checked.

Quote:
RX can very easily cruise till 90kmph. And do you mean moderns bikes in the sense that they have electric start, disc brakes, gas filled shock, trip & tachometers?

Quote:
Spares for RX100 is not a problem as of now. Problem is in getting spares for RX135, RX135 5 speed and RXZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my 60ish year old dad regrets selling his RX in 2002 for 27k.
Trust me, you're not too old for an RX yet
Same is with my uncle. He sold his '87 RX100 and bought a P180 some time later. Whenever we discuss about bikes, he regrets his decision in selling the RX.

Another case is when one of my friend sold his '95 model RX to buy a HH Splendor. He used the Splendor for 2 months and then sold it to buy another RX100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
simple... Just borrow your friend's bike for a week. After a week ride your RX... you will get the answer.
You can either do what Chipz says or lend your bike to one of your best friends for a week or so. You'll snatch it from him the very next day.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:02   #12
BHPian

Actually if you are not in need of money, why cannot you have 2 bikes then? Just asking!

Get a TB and you have the best of both worlds really.....small commutes/carefree rides/ on the RX and stable (er not in the rains), comfortable, powerful cruiser for longer rides.

Do not sell the RX if you don't need the money. /thread

I always lusted for that bike back when I was in college and had to ride a KB4s Champion (although I accepted that and liked it!) of course I won't spend silly money to get hold of one now but if I had an old one I would keep it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Pre 88/89 batch? Please tell us more about your RX
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:22   #14
BHPian

if you are bored with the two stroke vibrations,smoke,sound , jerks and performance it is time to shift to something like TB,kARIZMA,r15 etc...

for me RX is the reflection of my young life, in the look out for another one (may be a Z this time) at the moment, will keep them till i can ride . like the new high capacity 4 strokes but lacks the thrill and excitement , my 2 cents

Last edited by georgev : 23rd July 2010 at 01:27.
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Pre 88/89 batch? Please tell us more about your RX
Is that a question if my Rx belongs to 88/89 batch? Well, mine is 91, reincarnated at home as 2010 model, at present.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks