Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Assembling My Own *enfield*

Greetings to all my fellow bhpians

i just migrated to chennai for my collage. i am doing btech in automobile engineering in SRM university, kattankulathur. Being a bhpian, i wanted to do something different in the first year itself. So i decided upon buying all parts and assembling the bike with the help of some seniors/mechanics.

doing something like this in delhi or punjab would cost me something around 30 grand.

As i am totally new to this place, i am least informed as to where i can get the chasiss, engine and the other parts.

I would be really happy if anyone could join me in doing this.

regards
naman

note to the mods: please merge if topic already posted.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:34   #2
BHPian

interesting attempt,

not to dampen the spirit, but..

what about Chassis & Engine serial number?, even if you make you own chassis, what about the engine

how will you make the bike street legal and get it registered with the RTO, if everything is DIY then you may need to send it to ARAI Pune for certification

share the developments..let me know if you need any help..
Old 10th August 2010, 18:25   #3
BHPian

thanks for the reply sir,
as far as i know, we get the papers with the chasis and the engine. The only thing we need to take care is that the stuff is not stolen. That we can verify from the rto. The final step is to get the bike fitness test done and get it verified from the rto.

One of my friend back in delhi had done this. So that is why i have some knowledge about it.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Singh - here's what you need to do...
- Get a used RE for a scrap but with clean doco
- Download parts catalog & workshop manual
- Start placing order for parts with Southern Motors (supposed to be big time dealer in Chennai)
- Start collecting them & have a separate room for the pile of parts (you've to trust me on this)
- Finally when convinced about your entire collection, start building

This way you'll not run too much up & down at last moment frantically.

Good Luck

Ps - If I were you, I would start a 2 stroke twin cylinder

Last edited by aargee : 10th August 2010 at 21:44.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 21:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
- Start placing order for parts with Southern Motors (supposed to be big time dealer in Chennai)
- Start collecting them & have a separate room for the pile of parts (you've to trust me on this)

Good Luck

+1. That will work.

Also check out Hardeep Auto(?) in GP Road, Royapettah.
They stock a lot of Bullet parts.

Am not sure of the name, but you get to GP Road, you will find it after the left turn after you cross the Congress office. Just follow the main road.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Good Luck

thanks sir, i hope you can help me with sourcing the engine and chasis. or you can let me know from where can i get it. i am new to this place. all i know is tambrum, t-nagar, mamblam, kattankalathur and igmore (please ignore spelling mistakes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1. That will work.

Also check out Hardeep Auto(?) in GP Road, Royapettah.
They stock a lot of Bullet parts.

Am not sure of the name, but you get to GP Road, you will find it after the left turn after you cross the Congress office. Just follow the main road.
can i source the parts from the royal enfield factory itself, as my father deals with the company?
Old 10th August 2010, 22:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
can i source the parts from the royal enfield factory itself, as my father deals with the company?
I doubt it.
I have not been to the Factory, but I don't think any factory has a counter to sell parts or even a full product for that matter.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it.
I have not been to the Factory, but I don't think any factory has a counter to sell parts or even a full product for that matter.
lets see. i'll talk to dad. i am sure he'll work out some way for me. i hope that i get the parts directly from there.

all i am worried is about the chasis. i dont want one which was damaged and repaired. that would reduce the integrity of the structure.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
thanks sir, i hope you can help me with sourcing the engine and chasis. or you can let me know from where can i get it. i am new to this place. all i know is tambrum, t-nagar, mamblam, kattankalathur and igmore (please ignore spelling mistakes).

Singh, First welcome to chennai. The best place to source the engine and chasis will be pudupet. But the gunuiness of the document will be big questionmark as the engine number in most cases will be restamped. Its easy to do on bullets pre 2000 model. Instead I would recommend that you source a used bullet (in a bad sharpe that would work cheap) and strip it off to the bare bones and then order the parts as suggested by aargee and then try your build skills on that vehicle. This will gurantee you a genuine vehilce.

Quote:
I doubt it.
+1 to that. Royal Enfield company is located at Thiruvottriyur and they dont have a over the counter sales of spareparts. The best place would be Hardeep Motors as mentioned by BBlost. When you go from the Melody Theater, it comes on the left hand side right after the exit of Raheja complex. Hope this helps.
Old 11th August 2010, 00:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Singh, First welcome to chennai. The best place to source the engine and chasis will be pudupet. But the gunuiness of the document will be big questionmark as the engine number in most cases will be restamped. Its easy to do on bullets pre 2000 model. Instead I would recommend that you source a used bullet (in a bad sharpe that would work cheap) and strip it off to the bare bones and then order the parts as suggested by aargee and then try your build skills on that vehicle. This will gurantee you a genuine vehilce.
my budget is 30 grand. so wont this exceed the budget?
Old 11th August 2010, 01:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
my budget is 30 grand. so wont this exceed the budget?

Hmm that might be a of a bit of a problem. Let me see if I can talk to some one who deals with used Bullets and understand the market rate of a non in running condition vehicle. If I am not wrong, the bullet engine and the chasis would cost you some where in the range of Rs.12,000+. I will check this out and will update the approx cost tomorrow.
Old 11th August 2010, 01:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Hmm that might be a of a bit of a problem. Let me see if I can talk to some one who deals with used Bullets and understand the market rate of a non in running condition vehicle. If I am not wrong, the bullet engine and the chasis would cost you some where in the range of Rs.12,000+. I will check this out and will update the approx cost tomorrow.
thankyou so much sir. i appreciate the effort. but according to what i know, my friend assembled a street legal bike for under 30 grand. so i hope i can build something like that for the same price.
Old 11th August 2010, 05:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Where would one get this from ? and what would be the cost involved ?
Old 11th August 2010, 06:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

It'd be nice if you can build a spread sheet as you go along listing part number and cost. Interesting to know what the total of parts comes to. No value for hands on experience though. Priceless.
Old 11th August 2010, 08:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what BBlost & ElantraGT said on sourcing parts from factory. RE is not even able to meet the demands of dealers, if they open a sale counter at factory, they would only be selling washers!!! About few months back, I was unable to get a OE TBTS mirrors from any of the dealers & I was being made to run for about 1 month for 2 simple RVMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H
my friend assembled a street legal bike for under 30 grand. so i hope i can build something like that for the same price
What's the spec involve? What all the parts that were changed? The point is you can do anything at any price. Its like buying idlies from a platform who sells at rock bottom price with hotwater called as sambar compared to the 20 Rs idly at Saravana Bhavan. It all depends on what you want to do.

And for 30K, trust me, you'll be able to get half the job done if you want to manufacture one. I did an entire build (actually manufactured) of Rx at home all by myself including chassis & center casing (engine number) & changed every single bolt & nut. The entire project costed more than a bomb; ofcourse mine was done with little experimentation too & hence a little offshoot. You don't want to know how much it costed. So be prepared to shell out more than double of your present budget, if required.

Regarding chassis, nothing to worry. All you need to do is, buy a scrap motorcycle with clean papers as I told before, then place an order for a new chassis from a dealer. The dealer may (read it may) want to see your motorcycle to etch the same chassis number to the new frame & hence you may need to take your motorcycle there along with RC book. Again, it all depends upon how much rapport you build up with them; follow the same steps for with engine number too. Remember to buy crucial parts such as all engine parts, chassis, engine casing from authorized RE dealer WITH BILL. If possible get everything from the dealer to have peace of mind.

Also, if you get to Pudupet, visit this guy Noor Automobiles, who's a small time seller of RE parts, could be trustable to some extent.

Last but not the least, if you have a hope to complete the entire stuff over 30 days, then pls forget it; if you're really interested in knowing RE inside out, then its going to take nothing less than 6-8 months including your regular classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go
Where would one get this from ? and what would be the cost involved
You need to construct one bro, you'll not get it ready made unless someone sells their RD. The idea behind this is to construct a twin cylinder Rx. Cost involved? Hmmm...I don't know if you ever go to a 5 star hotel, ask for the prices & then eat to your budget. Sorry if this offends, but, I wish people don't ask about the cost when they're working on passion, unless they're economically weak.

Edit - @SINGH - Doing an automobile engineering, you should try doing something different from the regular stuff, as buying the parts & assembling will become boredom once you complete the job. Try to do something different. Good Luck.

Last edited by aargee : 11th August 2010 at 08:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks