Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 12:56   #16
BHPian

WOW. your too lucky to have a dad like him. . Anyways,as guys have said there's no SBK available in that price range.Better go for a used one with clean papers. You can find good SBKz in banglore and mumbai with clean papers. COnsidering his age ,I suggest to go for the kawasaki ZR7(750cc carborated),yamaha R6, or CBR600's,hornets or the yamaha FZ6.
here's a pic of the Kawasaki ZR7.
Attached Thumbnails
Superbike for my dad!!! EDIT  - Its a Ninja 250-untitled.jpg  

Old 1st September 2010, 13:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
To me, this is a little more than only. Since I live in Pune, where Ducati has no service, I am seeing a Ducati that won't start in the garage, and if that happens, all its virtues disappear. If I just wanted to look at it, buying it to do that seems to be excessive!
As it is, none of these bikes will have a big service reach. Therefore, on the counts of state of the art reliability, and a service set up in the city in which one lives, seem to rule the Ducati out for me. Pity, because as I have written already, the Monster is so right in every other way.
The Bandit may look boring, but by no means will it be so on Indian roads. Very flexible engine that pulls in top gear from 50 kmph all the way to a top speed of 235 is way more than any Indian road, now, or in ten years to come, can accommodate. And the unstressed engine will last a very long time. For a bike to ride long distances for many years, it is the Bandit, of the current lot of CBUs on sale. To look good on, there are other options, like the Ducatis/Harleys.
The CB1000R combines both needs pretty well, actually. And it has fantastic Honda build quality/reliability at a very good price. Currently though, Honda does not seem to think very highly of CBU customers. And, no service in Pune, which is a shorter term concern, probably.
You are spot on.

Honda couldnt care less about their SBK customers even if they tried. Ive had a really harrowing experience with them in trying to get myself a CB1000 since March 2010, i did finally get it, but registration apparently is not on their list of priorities.

Its been a month since arrival of the bike but still no signs of resistration, neither do they seem to be in any hurry. Add to that, their people in Delhi just refuse to come on the phone, its as if to say its not our proeblem, speak to Bombay people, and Bombay people say im awaiting papers from Delhi.

Its kinda annoying seeing their atitude after paying more than a million rupees.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
My 60-year-old dad wants to buy a superbike!!! He has always been a biker... RD 350, Yezdi Roadking, RX 100 he has driven it all. But after he got a car, he stopped riding motorcycles. But last week out of the blue he calls up and tells me that he wants to buy a bike with more than 500 cc, something in the range of 5 to 9 lakh.
Nope, please don't suggest Harley, I have done that he doesn't like them. He doesn't like Suzuki Bandit either. Please suggest some ride for my dad guys!!!
Well when you're dad's ready to spend upto 9 lakhs i'd say buy a new bike.Get a CB1000R.its a nice powerful and good looking bike.Rest if he wants a superbike with full fairing the you can look at the used bike market with legal bikes only.You can find 08-09 R1s for 8.5-9.5 lakhs.busas and 1000rr's likewise.

But i'd really suggest you stay off the illegal bikes in india.Even those that have been cleared by the DRI primarily because these bikes were imported as parts and were assembled in india.So buying a unit assembled abroad would be always better than one in india.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Clean papers, legal import, excellent SBK with only draw back being high on maintenance - Ducati Monster 696. You might be able to complete within 10L. Other option would be air cooled MT01. Or else, keep waiting, there're rumors about Kwacker 650 R being released this year or next in your exact price range.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oh they don't make them like that anymore!

I would not suggest a CB1000R or a Bandit. Instead I would suggest to wait a while and get a Hyosung 650R. Its rumored to be launched around Diwali time. The rumored price is around 4-5L.

Decent bike with enough power to keep your dad and you happy.
Old 1st September 2010, 18:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i feel that your BIKER dad wants to full fill his wish to own a super bike.
but now at 60 a 500+cc bike will not be a good idea.

instead he can buy ninja 250r.
it has all ingredients of a super bike only its 250cc.
& service can be done in pune.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/29343-2010-kawasaki-ninja-250r-edit-launched-now-2-7l-ex-showroom-59.html
Man, you don't know my dad. He is more fit than me. Infact, he plays football with teens everyday in the evening.
Well about his driving skills... when he was working in Beijing in 90s he used to own a Chang Jiang (I think 750cc, not sure). And has driven Harley Iron 883 and Fat Bob while he used to work in UAE recently and he was not impressed!!!
He wants a Jap bike and I can't stand them!!!
For him budget is not an issue... So it will be a Honda or a Suzuki, I think!!!
Add more suggestions guys, cos I am just a Bullethead!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 1st September 2010 at 18:52.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think you should ask him to Visit the SuperBike Showrooms in Pune & let him decide on what he likes.

Yamaha Imports can be checked out on their Wakdewadi Showroom & Suzuki ones in camp at DreamBikes showroom.
Old 1st September 2010, 20:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man, you don't know my dad. He is more fit than me.
He wants a Jap bike and I can't stand them!
For him budget is not an issue So it will be a Honda or a Suzuki, I think
i that case our opinions dose not value that much.
the choice is very limited.
just show him the respective websites,give him contact details of imported bike dealers & your done. bullet-heads like us & your dad are on different rpm levels.

BTW you are really luck chap !!!
Old 1st September 2010, 23:01   #24
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really going to be an interesting decision. Whether Honda, Suzuki, Ducati or any used Yamaha or Kawasaki, this thread has got me hooked.

Reminds me of the popular saying, "Bikers may slow down, but Bikers never quit".
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:22   #25
BHPian

I just showed this threat to my dad and he was busy taking down notes. A BIG thank you from him, and ofcourse me, to ya all!!!

P.S. Is Triumph coming to India anytime soon??? Auto Maxabout says it is coming by end 2010. Triumph India, Triumph Bikes India, New Bikes By Triumph, Triumph Dealers, Insurance - MaxAbout.com
If it is true, then I would mind 'forcing' him to buy a Triumph America or even a Rocket (Man that is a bike)!!!
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Is Triumph coming to India anytime soon??? Auto Maxabout says it is coming by end 2010. Triumph India, Triumph Bikes India, New Bikes By Triumph, Triumph Dealers, Insurance - MaxAbout.com
If it is true, then I would mind 'forcing' him to buy a Triumph America or even a Rocket (Man that is a bike)!!!
Don't know about Triumphs plans for India, but the new Bonneville is also worth a look for your dad. Its among the most comfortable bikes to ride. I am also seriously considering it as a second bike.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just showed this threat to my dad and he was busy taking down notes. A BIG thank you from him, and ofcourse me, to ya all!!!

Just for Info there is a pre owned rocket for sale. I think a cruiser or a street bike would be good for your father a super sport would hurt the back.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:02   #28
BANNED

+1 to all the Ducati Monster suggestions. In fact Monsters are very popular on the small streets of Nice, and Monte Carlo. They are great for street riding. Sporty, but also a little upright to be able to check for traffic/mirrors at ease. The Monster 400s sold in 90s in Europe are mighty impressive. The newer 800s are certainly much more capable and fun. If the heart wants italian fine art, and you find that within your budget, thats a good life. Best wishes to your dad!

PS: I had posted this comment on a Ducati thread. Not sure what I was thinking.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:42   #29
gou
BHPian

First of all congrats, for having such a dad. I wish I could be like him when I reach that age. It would be good if you can list down his specific requirements, so that people here can suggest you in a better way. IMHO you should go for something for which you can get servicing easily and is readily available in India (as others also have suggested).

If budget is not a constraint, I would suggest you to go for R1 or Suzuki GSX R1000 or Honda CBR1000. I think these are in order of their cost, where R1 being most expensive - but not sure.

Otherwise in lower budget, you can go for used bike variant of these like R6, or CBR600 - which might be cheaper but give you good thrill.
Old 4th September 2010, 11:29   #30
BHPian

my list would be, in no particular order:

bmw f650 funduro
suzuki gs600
suzuki bandit 650
suzuki bandit new
honda cb400
honda vfr 800
honda cb1000
yamaha fz6
yamaha fz1
yamaha fazer1000
kawasaki z1000

i think a more eased out powerful bike is what he needs rather than a full blown full faired sportbike.
yes, the bike should spend more time on the road than in the garage, and yes, there should be no second thought when you pick up the keys wrt to road condition, thats why i feel a naked/ semi faired is most suited to india.

for that budget YOU WILL get DRI cleared bikes, with clearance certificate, which can be verified before the purchase is made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks