Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Starting Bullet after a year

Dear all, I own a royal enfield bullet electra 5S which i had bought brand new in May 2007, which is still kept in my hometown, Nasik. I hardly used it for 2 months and then i got transferred to Ahmedabad. I could not get it to ahmedabad because then again i was transferred to Mumbai. This kept happening and due to some or the other reasons, I could not get the bike to where I was.

Its been 3 years and the bike has not clocked even 3500 kms. It is a brand new bike and has had 2 free services. I recently went to nasik and saw the bike in a pity state. Most of the crome parts are rusted and the bike keeps giving me trouble. For a distance of 5 kms, the bike got conked off thrice. I took it to the mechanic and he says probably it is because the bike has been standing for a lot of time and the battery is no longer functioning.

I am now planning to drive it to Mumbai but have no clue how and where to start from? Even getting it to the service station is going to be a task. Besides, I am planning to do some home servicing myself and then, (If needed) take it to the service station.

Need all your inputs as to where do i start from and also, how do i get the bike back to its glory days.

I have seen that the bike needs a complete oiling and also, need to do something about the crome of the bike. Besides, some minor electricals also need attention.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:47   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Dear all, I own a royal enfield bullet electra 5S which i had bought brand new in May 2007, which is still kept in my hometown, Nasik. I hardly used it for 2 months and then i got transferred to Ahmedabad. I could not get it to ahmedabad because then again i was transferred to Mumbai. This kept happening and due to some or the other reasons, I could not get the bike to where I was.

Its been 3 years and the bike has not clocked even 3500 kms. It is a brand new bike and has had 2 free services. I recently went to nasik and saw the bike in a pity state. Most of the crome parts are rusted and the bike keeps giving me trouble. For a distance of 5 kms, the bike got conked off thrice. I took it to the mechanic and he says probably it is because the bike has been standing for a lot of time and the battery is no longer functioning.

I am now planning to drive it to Mumbai but have no clue how and where to start from? Even getting it to the service station is going to be a task. Besides, I am planning to do some home servicing myself and then, (If needed) take it to the service station.

Need all your inputs as to where do i start from and also, how do i get the bike back to its glory days.

I have seen that the bike needs a complete oiling and also, need to do something about the crome of the bike. Besides, some minor electricals also need attention.

Did you already start the bike ? You should have drained the oil before starting the bike and started the bike only with new oil and new oil filter. that too after kicking the bike a couple of times to get the oil in the in the head.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:29   #3
BHPian

Yes. As rajnish said first of all immediately change the oil and filter. By the time oil lost its viscosity. If you will run on this old oil, it will not be good for the engine health. Then change the gear box oil also, by the time the grease/ thick oil got dry.
Do the above two changes + new battery and run the bike. There shouldn’t be any problem.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
Did you already start the bike ? You should have drained the oil before starting the bike and started the bike only with new oil and new oil filter. that too after kicking the bike a couple of times to get the oil in the in the head.

Ok. So to start with, I guess, changing the oil and cleaning the filter should be ok. However, I dont understand as to why the battery is creating problems. The newer versions of the bullets do not require the battery like the older ones. Atleast that's what i was thinking. maybe but I am still not sure if directly changing the battery is the only option, or there is still some hope left in the old battery.

need your advice on the same.

Shall be taking your advice and will be changing the oil and cleaning the filter for sure.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:18   #5
BHPian

The Electra 5S dose require the battery to run the new models do not so you will need a good battery, You can try removing the battery check the water and try charging it manually. If it stays charged you are good else change the battery. if you take the battery to a shop they can check if all the cells are good. they will give you a discount for the old battery in case you buy a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Ok. So to start with, I guess, changing the oil and cleaning the filter should be ok. However, I dont understand as to why the battery is creating problems. The newer versions of the bullets do not require the battery like the older ones. Atleast that's what i was thinking. maybe but I am still not sure if directly changing the battery is the only option, or there is still some hope left in the old battery.

need your advice on the same.

Shall be taking your advice and will be changing the oil and cleaning the filter for sure.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

As suggested get rid of the old engine and gear oils asap. Drain the carb if you can as well. The battery might just have died out on you, so you might need to pick up a new one.
Do not run the bike before you change the oils.

And congratulations on getting the Bull up and running.
Cheers!
Old 11th October 2010, 22:32   #7
BHPian

Hey

I have two RE at home. So my two cents here.

1) It looks like a new bullet, so battery has lost charge, so give to a local battery dealer, charge it up and see how much it stands. Good possibility it should get back on feet else try a jump start using a alternate battery.

2) engine oil / gear box oil needs to be changed.

3) Not sure if the vehicle was covered well, so check all filters

4) Check for loose ends on wires. Bullet battery is on the heavier side and the wires are all packed in the headlight area. So might look good on the outset but one twist hard on either side, it might short supply. So i would suggest opening the head area and do a manual inspection.

5) Brake shoes might need oiling and similar case with chain oiling too.

6) Get the carbs cleaned up well.

Good luck

cheers
Old 12th October 2010, 08:08   #8
BHPian

Electra(s) 4s/5s has CDI ignition system then why electra requires a battery to start?
Old 12th October 2010, 08:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Check if the airfilter is dry.
There are 2 pipes on either side of the carb.
Check if they have any cracks or have gotten disconnected.

Discard the old oils and also the old petrol.
The petrol in the tank also has a shelf life.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Electra(s) 4s/5s has CDI ignition system then why electra requires a battery to start?
Yes exactly !! The bike is starting with a normal kick start and therefore does not compulsorily need the battery to be in good shape. However, the bike literally conks off after riding for 200 - 300 meters !! The neutral light also disappears. Then, after a minute or so, again it reappears and then the bike kick starts. Till the time the neutral light does not reappear, the bike refuses to start !! This is what is confusing me since the newer bikes have CDI system and therefore technically the problem should not be with the battery. That is what i feel.

Since the bike was standing in the same position for months, the battery terminals have gone bad. I have got them cleaned and now atleast there is no scope for loose contact. However, the problem is not solved completely.

Need your advice on the matter.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:26   #11
BHPian

AFAIK Electra comes with TCI ignition which needs battery to start. Machismo has CDI (atleast my old kick-start machismo had a CDI) and doesn't need a battery to start/run the engine. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 12th October 2010, 13:30   #12
BHPian

Electra came with TCI and needs the battery in line to complete the circuit. CDI ones will start and run even with the battery removed.
Old 12th October 2010, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Sorry friends. I just checked RE website to confirm the ignition type in CI electra. It is TCI as per brochure.

350biker,
To confirm the battery fault, once get a battery for day on hire basis from a battery shop and check if problem reappear or not? If problems goes then go for a new battery.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:35   #14
BHPian

1)Replace Battery.
2)Check for rust on the electricals below the seat and behind the headlamp.
3)Replace clutch cable.
4)Check if the throttle is freely rotating
5) Check for rusting issues of the ignition key lock.
6) Replace all oils, Check for cracks on rubber pipes and seals.
7) Check if front and rear brakes engage and disengage freely?
8) Sit on the bike and Ask some one to push the bike so that you can hear all squeaks and rattles clearly IF any.
If you are experienced enough then carry out the servicing urself or else
I would suggest you tow it to the service centre rather than ride it.
and where are you in mumbai?

All CI Enfields post 2005-06 (not sure about the year) came with TCI Ignition and require a battery to start.

Last edited by iron : 12th October 2010 at 18:37.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:47   #15
BHPian

Update on the matter:

Had been to my hometown for diwali celebrations and did exactly what was told.

1) Changed the oil
2) Got the battery checked. It is working ok now.
3) Did some home checkup of the bike and it is up and running now.

The battery is responding properly now and the bike is back to its normal thumping. However, there is a major "attack" of RUST on the bike which needs to be looked after. I tried cleaning the rust with normal kerosene, however, there is no luck. The rust has completely taken over my bull and I am clueless what to do.
I am planning to give the bike for servicing before getting it to Mumbai, and maybe the service station will have some idea (Other than changing the parts rather than getting it chrome plated)

Attaching a few pics of the rusty parts and awaiting your advice
Attached Thumbnails
Starting Bullet after a year-img_0199.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0200.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0201.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0202.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0203.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0204.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0205.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0206.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0208.jpg  

Starting Bullet after a year-img_0207.jpg