Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 10:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed

I have been following this thread for a while now. Glad to see progress.

I would vote for 19" as smaller wheel + longer wheelbase might give it a slightly too elongated look. The rear with a 150 section sounds good, but don't go very oversized on the front.

Wish you the best for the project.
Cheers
Old 26th December 2010, 11:41   #47
BHPian

Thanks for the comments. More significant updates to follow next week.
Old 26th December 2010, 12:39   #48
BHPian

There was an article in Auto India about a couple of months back about the 500 classic modified specially for John Abraham by Rajputana of Jaipur.
I believe looking at the photos of that bike also might give some ideas for the betterment of this project.
I recommend a covering for the air filter which will enable the bike to run in accidental rainy conditions also(Although I fully understand that the bike is not intended to be taken out during a shower). The cover may be of the conical type itself and may have a little carving on it.
Old 26th December 2010, 12:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
There was an article in Auto India about a couple of months back about the 500 classic modified specially for John Abraham by Rajputana of Jaipur.
I believe looking at the photos of that bike also might give some ideas for the betterment of this project.
I recommend a covering for the air filter which will enable the bike to run in accidental rainy conditions also(Although I fully understand that the bike is not intended to be taken out during a shower). The cover may be of the conical type itself and may have a little carving on it.
Yeh I came across John's bike too. Looked super cool but am not sure I would want to go retro to that extent. Cone cover for the air filter is definitely an option. I have seen it on some Harleys.
Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:46   #50
BHPian

John's bike came to my mind because of the front end you are planning to install. Infact, I also am an owner of the LB500 since 2007 and been riding a Bullet since 1992. The swing arm has always been a thought provoking part of the bike as I have also considered increasing the tyre size. The viable answer with the same setup will be to go for a smaller dia rim, but that does not help things much because it the chain which fouls with the tyre and not the the swing arm.
I had come across a Bullet with a box frame swing arm(Pulsar/new gen type)which was a little longer in length. That ultimately increased the overall length of the bike. I will see if I can come across a few photos of that bike to post on the forum. The K&N conical works fine(I have covered it for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post) and the sound of the bike also changes to a more heavier note. I have replaced the silencer to a shorter one which now produces a louder noise.
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not understood as to why the bend has to be replaced with a 350cc one? How does it help?
Old 26th December 2010, 20:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
but that does not help things much because it the chain which fouls with the tyre and not the the swing arm.
I am pretty sure there is an easy fix. The modder I am working with did not show any signs of difficulty because he had already done similar wider setups for other RE's and with the same extended stock swing arm. I will probably have better insight towards this when he works on the same for my bike.

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not understood as to why the bend has to be replaced with a 350cc one? How does it help?
Not sure what you are referring to here. Please clarify.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:25   #52
BHPian

you can use 350 bend pipe instead of 500 one.[/quote]

I was referring to post #24 on this thread as to how this change will help?
Old 27th December 2010, 15:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
think this was because the forward controls were made to fit the older models where the rear brake was on the left side. That way the exhaust would not get in the way.
because jocreative wanted to use forward controls but the 500 bend pipe was coming in the way.

so i replied that he can use 350's bend pipe too.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:31   #54
BHPian

Tire sizes finalized ( or maybe not )
Rear - 140/90 15 with Avenger Rim
Front - 130/70 18 with RE Classic Rear Rim

The stock swing arm was unbolted, and an old 5" extended swingarm was inserted to check if the length would do, and it was good. He has to make a new one this week along with the rest of the accessories. The over all length of the bike will be somewhere around or above 7.8ft.

I finally got some time to do a cut-paste photo edit render of what I had in mind as far as the design is concerned. I came up with this (check attachment). Its not true to the traditional sense of a Bobber, but it is what I would be comfortable with. A modern generation styled bobber

The wheels are 80+ spoke rims. The modder said he knows a person who did this successfully for another bike, and will have to contact him to see if he can take it to the next level @ 80 spokes per rim! If not, then its back to the usual 40 spokes.

The tank will be a slightly stretched one by 3 inches and will have similar chrome - black color combo as in an Original Machismo. I wanted to stay true to how the Machismo looked, rather than to have stripes or flames on them. That would be overkill.

I know the picture is not accurate to every nut and cable, but it did give me and the modder a final image on how it needs to look like at the end.

Do let me know your comments.

Edit: Oops, looks like front fender is missing!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-machismo-500.jpg  

Last edited by jocreative : 28th December 2010 at 19:47.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:46   #55
BHPian

Royal Machismo Bobber Render

Another render with the Fender and single seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bobber Home Project - Advice Needed-machismo-500-bobber-single-seat.jpg  

Old 28th December 2010, 22:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

pictures are great jocreative!

but my vote for second one. (with single exhaust)

white wall tyres? branded or regular tyres with DIY paint job?

Last edited by jeepster : 28th December 2010 at 22:20.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:51   #57
BHPian

I like the second one too. The rear seat will be a detachable one. It's just for those rear occasions if my wife decides to join in .

Tires will be normal ones with a paint job. If the rims can't be done here then I will be importing both rims and a set of branded white wall tires.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Looks great!

Especially the second one. However, can't the exhaust be just a tad bit shorter?
Old 29th December 2010, 08:39   #59
BHPian

The front looks good , but IMHO it must be a little low slung. I did not like the seat and rear fender arrangement. It looks more cruiser(ish ) and has no flow. The minimalistic look which the triumph bobbers had is missing.
The exhaust need to be chopped to get the authentic bobber look. I am comparing the rendering with the Triumph Bobber.
Sorry, if I sound a bit harsh in my comment.
Old 29th December 2010, 08:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

joe! the render looks great! All the best with your project.

Hope you have heard about ::: vardenchi :::. My friend also bought some stuff from an online store(for belt drive etc); will ask him the link.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th December 2010 at 08:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks