Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 00:49   #16
BHPian

re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
That depends much on riding style also. Change gears at 3-3.5K and I bet Karizma is capable of returning mileage of 38-42 KMPL. And changing to iridium spark plug helps a lot in increasing mileage of the bike along with crisp throttle response.

Yamaha Fazer too returns similar fuel efficiency as reported by ZMA owners (fazer is much less in cubic capacity and power).

Yeah! Could be. But I'll let my friend manage all that. He's back in 12 days.

And I've no clue about Fazer apart from the fact that it looks very very good. But then again, that could just be me.
Old 21st March 2011, 03:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you go for the RTR 160. Economical, powerful, and a great handler, with good low/top end.
Pros:
  • Great power for a 160cc, Amazing low/top end combo.
  • Great Handling/Ride combo
  • Decent FE, can extract even 50-55kmpl
Cons:
  • Vibrations above 5-6k, can get irritating
  • Riding stance is sporty, not so comfy for everyday use. but you gotta TD it to see.
If not the RTR, go for the FZ
Pros:
  • Great Handling
  • Great Looks
  • Fit for stunts. Stoppie is a breeze.
Cons:
  • Low FE in the 150cc segment. I have even extracted a mere 20kmpl figure. Regular driving gives an average of 35kmpl.
  • Costly spares(?)
Well, I'm also not so impressed by the digital speedo/tacho.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:01   #18
BHPian

Yam FZ series is a very good bike, looks good and rides well. But the seat quota for the pillion is terrible. Your future wife might not be too comfortable and that could be a serious problem. If that can be worked around, go for it eyes closed.

Else: If I were in your shoes I would be looking at the RTR 160/180 family (FI one if initial issues have been sorted) and the Pulsar 220(awesome power and the head lights are to die for). Avenger is good, but needs extra effort in congested city traffic, though very comfortable on highways.

Why not have a look at the new RTR with ABS?

All the best and keep us posted. Hope I have not added to the confusion.

MaSh
Old 21st March 2011, 10:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Yeah! Could be. But I'll let my friend manage all that. He's back in 12 days.

And I've no clue about Fazer apart from the fact that it looks very very good. But then again, that could just be me.
Hey, thanks for that. I will be done with Test drives till then. (hopefully, as the list is growing day by day!)
But, do post his opinion too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I would suggest you go for the RTR 160. Economical, powerful, and a great handler, with good low/top end.
Pros:
  • Great power for a 160cc, Amazing low/top end combo.
  • Great Handling/Ride combo
  • Decent FE, can extract even 50-55kmpl
Cons:
  • Vibrations above 5-6k, can get irritating
  • Riding stance is sporty, not so comfy for everyday use. but you gotta TD it to see.
Thanks for posting it so well !
Seems, like it gets major points in the areas that matter to me.
Power/Handling/Ride/ (FE is after the previous 3 things, but, thats good too!)

If not the RTR, go for the FZ
Pros:
  • Great Handling
  • Great Looks
  • Fit for stunts. Stoppie is a breeze.
Cons:
  • Low FE in the 150cc segment. I have even extracted a mere 20kmpl figure. Regular driving gives an average of 35kmpl.
  • Costly spares(?)
Well, I'm also not so impressed by the digital speedo/tacho.
Woaaah Mamma!

You are sure, you are quoting the FE of the bike, (and not a Car !)

Well, that FE can scare the daylights out of a sunny day!
(Ok, that was exaggeration.. Sorry)
Sure,
the Look/ease of drive/Perf are good.
( My colleague has a <not so well maintained> Fz, I had a TD of that.)
but, the FE (even though secondary) is plain scary!
Some body please pool in with their figures if the Fz FE.
(Friend, has no clue of FE! he says he fills like twice a week)

Rest I will confirm in the official Test Drive. (this week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yam FZ series is a very good bike, looks good and rides well. But the seat quota for the pillion is terrible. Your future wife might not be too comfortable and that could be a serious problem. If that can be worked around, go for it eyes closed.

I see, So, I need a suitable Lady to take a test drive with me too (is that what you are saying!)
Jokes apart,
That I will put in my Cons list.

Else: If I were in your shoes I would be looking at the RTR 160/180 family (FI one if initial issues have been sorted) and the Pulsar 220(awesome power and the head lights are to die for). Avenger is good, but needs extra effort in congested city traffic, though very comfortable on highways.

Why not have a look at the new RTR with ABS?

All the best and keep us posted. Hope I have not added to the confusion.
You have commented on almost all the options, and said good things about them all! (Except the pillion seat thing).
No No, that does not make it any more confusing! lolz.

MaSh
Guys,

Seems like, I can get all the figures, Maintenance feedback, Perspectives from my friends here.
But, the major thing is also how I connect with my Bike.

So, this week I start the mega test drive rally for myself!

Please do let me know, if anyone else is willing to accompany me for the same.
If so, we can do the TDs on Sat or can callup and decide.

I am calling up the
Yamaha - Fz S + Fazer TD + SZr
TVS - Apache 160 + Apache 180 ABS
this week.

(Will they gladly give my TD of 3 bikes in different segs! )

PM me, if there are any more bhpians interested.

So the final list is:

FZ16 or S
TVS Apache 180
TVS Apache 160
Pulsar 220
Pulsar 135
Karizma
Yamaha SZr
Avenger

care,

Ace.

P.S. I know, many bhpians are or eventually will come to this state_of_mind. So, I intend to make this thread as broad as possible with respect to the content required to decide upon a Bike.

Last edited by driverace : 21st March 2011 at 10:51.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

No need of testing Fz and fazer seperately . Fazer has slightly relaxed position than fz. Everything else is same. For regular use Fz will do. If mileage is not the deciding factor and anything between 35 - 42 ok , then you can go for fz ! Happy buying
Old 21st March 2011, 12:37   #21
BHPian

Hey there is one more bike which is kind of underdogs here but has been missed out. The potent Suzuki GS 150R. This bike has lot going for it and with OTR Price of Rs 72K Mumbai I am sure it will be better off in Bangalore. The bike give a decent mileage and has 6 gears to play with and will suit your requirements to the TEE. Request you to kindly check it out too as anyways Test Rides dont cost
Old 21st March 2011, 13:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you check out Honda Dazzler too. Agree looks department is something not all will be happy with, but Unicorn engine tuned for slightly higher perfomance. Disc's on both wheels. Bangalore OTR is around 77K.
Pro's I would list out are Honda reliablity on a trusted Unicorn engine. Con's comes very near 180cc pulsar price on road and the looks which is not for everyones like.

I too been in a search for bike with same requirements as your's since past 4-5 months. Almost booked ZMR however many suggested against putting 1.13 Lac(bangalore OTR) on a brand which still not sure with their future plans after a 3 year time frame. So dropped the ZMR plan and the same with Hunk too which otherwise I felt was a great city bike.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:15   #23
BHPian

i own a Pulsar 220Fi and i know exactly what you are talking about when u say you want something that handles better than the pulsar (i find the front end of the 220 a little vague). My top recommendation would have been the karizma but it seems in B'lore its quite expensive. In west bengal its costs under Rs 80,000. So since that is out of the pic the next best option for you will have to the the TVS apache range.

this bike, the TVS apache is a great handler one of the sweetest sounding exhaust and boy this engine likes to be revved. But the down side is that compared to honda and yamaha, the engine loses its smoothness after a few years. But again since you already own a pulsar i guess you have already experienced it as the situation with tvs and bajaj is the same.

So test drive the apache and pick one that suits your budget as the apache comes in various form depending on your budget as mentioned below:

Standard RTR apache 160 (65,000 W.B OTR)
RTR apache 160 with rear discs (67,000)
RTR apache 160 with rear discs and MPFI (74,000)
RTR apache 180 (72,000)
And now RTR apache 180 with ABS (82,000 estimate)

Since the ABS 180 will be out of your budget, i would highly recommend test driving the RTR 180 and RTR 160 with MPFI and rear disc brake. I have been driving a FI 220 for 3 years now and i have also driven the carb 220-si and i must say the Fi is absolutely worth it as the initial pick up in any gear is just instant. This makes your bike feel much more powerful than it actually is.

If you do not like the TVS then the other option would be the yamaha FZ series. they handle quite well too. I would avoid hero honda as the rides are focused towards comfort and so are a little soft in terms of suspension set up. The honda and suzuki products are great in terms of reliability but are a little boring the 150cc (class and below).

Well happy hunting and do keep us informed about your decision

Last edited by amrisharm : 21st March 2011 at 13:18.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:23   #24
BHPian

Re: Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
No need of testing Fz and fazer seperately . Fazer has slightly relaxed position than fz. Everything else is same. For regular use Fz will do. If mileage is not the deciding factor and anything between 35 - 42 ok , then you can go for fz ! Happy buying
Aye,
So, called the Yam guy.
So, will get the drive of Fz tomorrow!
Looking forward to that..
( I have asked for the guy to come at my office post lunch.. .. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hey there is one more bike which is kind of underdogs here but has been missed out. The potent Suzuki GS 150R. This bike has lot going for it and with OTR Price of Rs 72K Mumbai I am sure it will be better off in Bangalore. The bike give a decent mileage and has 6 gears to play with and will suit your requirements to the TEE. Request you to kindly check it out too as anyways Test Rides dont cost
Allrighto!

We are indeed in the mood of taking them all on for the TD! (seriously!)
AnyBody out here, willing to take TDs in parallel with me!
I guess with twin views, we can put together richer content!
Anyway, I am continuing with my TDs.

Will call the Suzuki guy tomorrow.
and try to call him at my office for the TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Why dont you check out Honda Dazzler too. Agree looks department is something not all will be happy with, but Unicorn engine tuned for slightly higher perfomance. Disc's on both wheels. Bangalore OTR is around 77K.
Pro's I would list out are Honda reliablity on a trusted Unicorn engine. Con's comes very near 180cc pulsar price on road and the looks which is not for everyones like.

I too been in a search for bike with same requirements as your's since past 4-5 months. Almost booked ZMR however many suggested against putting 1.13 Lac(bangalore OTR) on a brand which still not sure with their future plans after a 3 year time frame. So dropped the ZMR plan and the same with Hunk too which otherwise I felt was a great city bike.
Concern about HH's stand in the market post-breakup with H.
hmm, that's a point of concern for sure, If we are planning to buy a 90K bike! (or for that matter any bike!)

About, the Honda.
hmm, will call the Honda guy tomorrow too. for TD of Dazzler.

You too seem to have done similar study just a while back.
and I am TDing Dazzler as you are suggesting the same.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
i own a Pulsar 220Fi and i know exactly what you are talking about when u say you want something that handles better than the pulsar
Ya, you understand what I mean!
I have TDed a Yamaha only, and I find a sea of difference of ride of My dear Pulsar and the Fz.

(i find the front end of the 220 a little vague).
Ya, but, It looks great to the onlooker! Weird to the rider! I know..
My top recommendation would have been the karizma but it seems in B'lore its quite expensive. In west bengal its costs under Rs 80,000. So since that is out of the pic the next best option for you will have to the the TVS apache range.

this bike, the TVS apache is a great handler one of the sweetest sounding exhaust and boy this engine likes to be revved. But the down side is that compared to honda and yamaha, the engine loses its smoothness after a few years. But again since you already own a pulsar i guess you have already experienced it as the situation with tvs and bajaj is the same.

So test drive the apache and pick one that suits your budget as the apache comes in various form depending on your budget as mentioned below:
Standard RTR apache 160 (65,000 W.B OTR)
RTR apache 160 with rear discs (67,000)
RTR apache 160 with rear discs and MPFI (74,000)
RTR apache 180 (72,000)
And now RTR apache 180 with ABS (82,000 estimate)
Multi-Thanks for this clarification.
I have already called the TVS guy too!
TD scheduled tomorrow (At my office!)
They do not have the 180 :(
But, I have called the 160 Double Disc variant.
Will update on that tomorrow.

Since the ABS 180 will be out of your budget, i would highly recommend test driving the RTR 180 and RTR 160 with MPFI and rear disc brake. I have been driving a FI 220 for 3 years now and i have also driven the carb 220-si and i must say the Fi is absolutely worth it as the initial pick up in any gear is just instant. This makes your bike feel much more powerful than it actually is.

If you do not like the TVS then the other option would be the yamaha FZ series. they handle quite well too. I would avoid hero honda as the rides are focused towards comfort and so are a little soft in terms of suspension set up. The honda and suzuki products are great in terms of reliability but are a little boring the 150cc (class and below).

Agree on the boring part!
I also carry the same opinion,
But, I will try to have unbiased TD of the Honda & the Suzuki.

Well happy hunting and do keep us informed about your decision

Yup, I will keep this thread updated!
As you can see, I am trying to keep my thought process in threads too!
Well,
The TDs start tomorrow.
Then I will have some clear picture of the bikes in consideration.

Thanks for the detailed inputs guys!

care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 21st March 2011 at 18:26.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

@driveace,
I am also sailing the same boat as yours. Will a keep a watch on your thread. Also planning to TD some of them this weekend. Will update what i will find through TD.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:53   #26
BHPian

TVS RTR 180 Period. or at least TVS RTR 160. Open the throttle and you will get the answer why you should go for it. Mileage city under ripping 40 kmpl for RTR 180. For 160 you get 45+
Old 21st March 2011, 20:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

^^^
My friend's TVS Apache 180 returns mileage of 25-30 under hard ripping and 40-45 under normal riding. But I must say 180 RTR is one of the most fun-to -ride motorcycle.

@ACE, I strongly recommend you consider Yamaha SZR; keep that bike in your TD list for sure.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
That depends much on riding style also. Change gears at 3-3.5K and I bet Karizma is capable of returning mileage of 38-42 KMPL. And changing to iridium spark plug helps a lot in increasing mileage of the bike along with crisp throttle response.

Yamaha Fazer too returns similar fuel efficiency as reported by ZMA owners (fazer is much less in cubic capacity and power).
Zma can return 40kmpl,if ridden very sedately.
and there is no point in upshifting at <4K RPM,as it will result in lugging of engine.
and Yeah Iridium plugs do nothing apart from burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Zma can return 40kmpl,if ridden very sedately.
and there is no point in upshifting at <4K RPM,as it will result in lugging of engine.
and Yeah Iridium plugs do nothing apart from burning a hole in your pocket.
Well it’s that how I am doing. There is no such issue with engine on changing gears at 3-3.5K and Iridium plug do improve mileage (personal experience) provided one installs correct plug. But anyhow that's not the point of discussion here, we have to help ace selecting most suitable bike for him and he has most probably ruled out Karizma.
Old 21st March 2011, 21:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
The potent Suzuki GS 150R. This bike has lot going for it and with OTR Price of Rs 72K Mumbai I am sure it will be better off in Bangalore. The bike give a decent mileage and has 6 gears to play with and will suit your requirements to the TEE.
The pains of being a newbie :(. Had quoted this along with RTR 160/180 and Honda Unicorn. But I guess it got missed out due to fast replies from other members.

Anyways FYI, In Bangy,
RTR 160 costs around 75k onroad
GSX150R costs around 72k onroad
Uni costs around 72k onroad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks