Team-BHP - Difference between the various Yamaha RX series bikes?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Difference between the various Yamaha RX series bikes? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/98842-difference-between-various-yamaha-rx-series-bikes-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 2365741)
Yes one budda sitting on this beauti 15 BHP on tap, disc break, talk is going on shown him my garage and how much i am going to care for his bike lets see if he agrees to hand over the keys.

Ajay,
Any luck with the budda parting his beauti 15 BHP on tap? Would you be kind enough to share atleast a couple of photos? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbir (Post 2420638)
well, I have so far not been successful in locating a 5 speed RX. My best choices so far are a black 4sp 135 and an RX100. I have not seen either bike, but the 135 belongs to a relative of my farm manager and the 100 belongs to somebody I know and I am assured that both are in top condition. I will test ride both and pick one, until such time as I find an RD350.

my buddy who has the RXG is having is shipped to delhi and I've offered to strip it down and rebuild it. Maybe I'll rebuild it in RX135 spec rather than RXG......

Buddy any bike is available as long as you look in the right places. RX 5-speeds are available for sale in the market. Just that there are few to choose from and the prices have gone up to about 40-45k. Dont compromise and buy a 4 speed. The performance of a 4 speed can never be as much as a 5 speed's.

Also I know of a few RDs for sale in junk, just about running and fully restored condition. If you want more information PM me.

Prices for the 5Speeds havent gone up. On the contrary the prices have reduced. I remember offers of 75K at one point. Noww the going rate is 40-45K. My bike just sold for 55 a few weeks back. There are bikes in bangalore and chennai selling for around 40/45K.

I dont think there were any 125's. If i remember the 125 emblems were being sold by delhi traders. I used to run a Yamaha Genuine Spare Parts retail counter from 2000 to about 2004 and had access to pretty much all the parts catalogs and price lists. Dont remember seeing them listed.

What may have been possible is larger dia pistons fitted into rebored cylinders being called 125s. Even today one option for some one having exhausted 100CC oversize pistons is to use 115 cc pistons. People could have confused such machines to be 125's. I dont remember the diameter measurement of these pistons.

speedfreak7116 i cant PM ya but would appreciate it if i could get details of RD350s in between junk to just about running conditions. I would love to do up one if the finances work out. My email address is thejag at googles email service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 2297871)
I guess, people thought it was too obvious than not knowing the difference :)
  • RX100: 100 cc, 11 BHP, 2 stroke. 1st gen bike. (I guess discontinued around 1996 due to stricter pollution norms)
  • RXG : 135cc, 12 BHP, 2 Stroke to replace RX100. Did not click in the market, thanks largely to changed exhaust note and a bit of stickering work on the fuel tank. People missed that RX100 beat. Discontinued in couple of years.
  • RX135 and RXZ: Both same generation bikes replacing RXG. Engine remained almost same (probably some tweaking was done but not change in specs). Looks were changed.
    • RX135 more closely resembled RX100 and exhaust note was less metallic and a bit deeper.
    • RXZ had different sporty(?) styling, but same engine.
  • RX135 5 speed: 14 BHP, 5 speed bike. Had worst exhaust note, thanks to the catalytic converter, but went like a silent rocket (trust me on that). Discontinued in short time and 4 speed RX135 was introduced once again.
None of these bikes are sold by Yamaha anymore. They are discontinued more than 5 years back, yet RX100 and RX135 command good resale.

You said what I wanted to say. If you want to find an RX series of motorcycle, I suggest you to find an RX 135 5 speed as this is the best RX series of motorcycles I've every driven.

I am not creating any controversies here but for me, RX 100 is a collectible, especially if you find an 86-89 made one. I prefer 135 5 speed performance wise.

No luck with the whole bike till now but got the RX125 engine will post the pics, its 125CC Y1 bore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagMan (Post 2434584)
Prices for the 5Speeds havent gone up. On the contrary the prices have reduced. I remember offers of 75K at one point. Noww the going rate is 40-45K. My bike just sold for 55 a few weeks back. There are bikes in bangalore and chennai selling for around 40/45K.

I dont think there were any 125's. If i remember the 125 emblems were being sold by delhi traders. I used to run a Yamaha Genuine Spare Parts retail counter from 2000 to about 2004 and had access to pretty much all the parts catalogs and price lists. Dont remember seeing them listed.

What may have been possible is larger dia pistons fitted into rebored cylinders being called 125s. Even today one option for some one having exhausted 100CC oversize pistons is to use 115 cc pistons. People could have confused such machines to be 125's. I dont remember the diameter measurement of these pistons.

speedfreak7116 i cant PM ya but would appreciate it if i could get details of RD350s in between junk to just about running conditions. I would love to do up one if the finances work out. My email address is thejag at googles email service.

The RX125 was launched in 1993 .... was a 15 bhp / 1.41 kgm/ 5 speed bike... It was reviewed by Auto India and Car & Bike International magazines with Adil Darukhanawala as the author ...

The reason no spares were sold is coz very few bikes were released to the market ....

The RX125 is not a myth it was a living breathing bike (Came with a tachometer too!!)

Here you go, for all RX lovers and whoever think that RX125 was myth. Got the engine, its running on 1st over size, produces 15+ BHP clap:

If I recall correctly, the first lot of RX100s, most of the parts for which were directly imported from Japan, were actually 140cc, 15BHP. I do remember seeing the engines had 139CC engraved on it.

This is similar to the first lot of unrestricted HT RDs that were imported from Japan. These were 38BHP as opposed to the next lot of HT RDs that were restricted to 30BHP and then the LT RDs with 28 BHP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 2598335)
Here you go, for all RX lovers and whoever think that RX125 was myth. Got the engine, its running on 1st over size, produces 15+ BHP clap:

Bumping after 3+ years.
Any further update on this engine? Are you using it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 3675233)
Bumping after 3+ years.
Any further update on this engine? Are you using it?

Nope, it's been quite a while I sold all my bikes due to time constraint left with only two bikes now.

Was there any difference in the motorcycle frames (Engine mounts etc) between the RX100, RX135-4speed and RX135-5speed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEED_DEMON82 (Post 3689426)
Was there any difference in the motorcycle frames (Engine mounts etc) between the RX100, RX135-4speed and RX135-5speed?

AFAIK the power box mounting stud is not available in RX100 & the later generation RX135 came with center lock. Otherwise the frame remains same.

I dont know if this has been noted or mentioned before, but I found another difference in the chassis of a 5 speed / 4 speed (catalytic converter models - post 2000 ones) and pre 2000 models chassis. (It could be called as the rear foot peg support or bracket too I am not sure)

The catcon model has an extra support mounting point for the bigger catalytic silencer than the normal ones.

The first pic is of non catcon model, second pic is from a Rx 135 - 5 Speed and the third pic is of a RXZ 5 speed.