Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 16:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 20,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!

Oh ok. I didn't quite know that. Lets see, I hope something comes out of my patient riding these days.
Old 25th June 2011, 16:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Some Much Awaited Closeups!
BTW, just added the red rim tapes. And I couldn't be happier with the results!

Some more pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-1-1.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-1-10.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-1-11.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-2-3.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-2-4.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-2-5.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-2-6.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-2.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-3.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-4.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-5.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-7.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-img_0004.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-img_0006.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-img_0007.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-img_0010.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2012 at 02:49.
Old 21st September 2011, 23:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

An update: Completed around 6800km! Changed to Semi-Synthetic and now using Top1 Fully Synthetic oil worth Rs.750. Changes noticeable are far lesser vibrations and FE of around 42 if ridden with care. I guess a few more weeks like this will help push the FE up a bit more. Especially considering the recent hike in petrol prices.

A question here, I observed that the ZMR and the Hunk are fitted with the same shocks. Except that in the case of the ZMR, the springs are inverted! The gas reservoir is at the bottom and the compressed end of the spring is at the bottom while for me its at the top. Does that make a difference?
Old 10th December 2011, 18:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Been using the Hunk for close to 2 years now. I love the way the bull handles. Yes, the tyres are a let down somewhat but OK.

The braking as you mentioned is different from Yams and Bajajs but try braking in the wet and you will appreciate it. I tested this with a couple of friends on full kit (helmet, riding jacket, shin guards etc). The pulsar and FZ tend to lose their line under hard braking in the wet, but the Hunk does not lose the line. Very reassuring.

BTW, use the front brake slightly before the rear brake, this will help you better.

The best way to get better FE from the beast is to keep it in the 3500 - 4500 RPM band. You will get excellent rideablility and also FE if you do so. I regulary get 54-55 by this method. Of course, at speeds which you mention, you will get less FE. Oil is not the reason for low FE. Stick to HH 10W30 oil. I have crossed more than 20K kms on the bike and I have found it to be the better oil. You could try Gulf 10W30. PLEASE, dont change the rating stick to 10W30 only.

Did you break in the bike properly? I hope you did not over rev (cross 4000 rpm) in the initial 1500 kms. If you did, suggest you change the oil and also ask them to clean the filter.
Well, FE concerns have been addressed by some sane riding over the past 2 months. Haven't had the opportunity to check the mileage because the bike always has more fuel than the reserve capacity.

And AFA the brakes go, spot on TC. I hit the rear disk hard a week ago. The bike skid for a good 20m, but not a single wobble. Maintained it's straight line throughout.
Old 25th February 2012, 18:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Triple-H: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review-10,000KM

It's been a little over 13 months since this highly underrated bike in the premium 150cc Segment came home from Prakash Motors for Rs.77,371. And I must say that ever kilometer of the 10,000 has been special. The silent thrum of the single cylinder, 2-valve, 149cc bore still delivers low-range torque I find hard to match in bikes of the same segment.
10,000KM old bike, WRONG!
10,000KM and still rearing to go like a curious youngster.
Let me get to the details:

1) Headlamp: 35/35W AC stock headlamp looked reasonable enough at first, but a few trips later, found it lacking in throw at corners. Change to a Xenon Bulb of sorts for Rs. 350 and it's a whole new story. Visibility, throw and intensity all increased. The focus from the dome seems to be a let down. The Pulsar series seem to have a better made reflector system.

2) Brakes: This version of the Hunk came with Rear and Front disk brakes. So my expectations from the brakes were very high. The rear brake assembly is from Nissin while the front bears no imprint. Possibly explains why the Rear Disks are way way more effective compared to the front. Front disks don't make for confident late breaking and sometimes feel insecure. Rear disks on the other hand are exceptional, sharp and precise response really ups the confidence level while riding in a city with Pedestrians with Cow-ish behaviour. The disk pads have been changed on both sets, the front cost around 300 while the rear pads are shared with the ZMR and cost a princely 1300! That gives me just an insight of sorts as to why the rear disk is so much better. Overall, braking can definitely be improved by slapping on a Nissin or Bybre brake system up front.

3) Tyres: Tubeless and have had issues with air leaking out of the beading in the front tyre. Went to Tyre Professionals and they were unable to solve the problem. Went down to a local puncture shop and a few strips of insulation tape later, I am good to go again. The tyres are a letdown to be honest. Start up the bike, hold the front brake hard, slot into first gear, accelerate and let go of the clutch slowly, the brake locks the front wheel but the front wheel keeps skidding ahead. The tyres are not confidence inspiring in the wet. Nearly lost the back once while navigating a corner. In the dry, well, nothing to rave about. But does the job like any other tyre. Managed Lean Angles are repectable, you can't scrape your knees on the tarmac, but you could scrape the footpeg if you find a curve wide enough.

Like most others, I save the best for last.

4) Seating: The Rider's Seating Position is the most comfortable amongst most bikes. The tall upright seating and the tank cowls shaped to accommodate even a 6 footers legs comfortably. The seat for the rider has a nice spongy, soft cushion which makes for comfortable long distance rides. But the same cannot be spoken about the pillion though. A complete lack of cushion at the far end of the pillion seat where the seat plate is easily accessible, But yes, pillion comfort is least on manufacturer's priority these days. So it's acceptable. I mean, just look at the R15 v2.0! But in the case that you have a girlfriend(Which is obvious when having a bike like this ) with you, I'd recommend carrying an air pillow under the seat.

5) Gearbox: To start with, will admit it is indeed harder than most other bikes. But the smoothness in the gearbox makes up for it. The gear ratios are appropriately designed to ensure a highly decent amount of acceleration at first and second gear. While the higher gears allow you to sustain a consistent 50kmph at 5th or a more highway-friendly 80kmph without much effort. A few false neutrals when you tap the toe-shifter too lightly, but you'll get over it in a while.

6) Looks: The design is 5 years old, but still gathers attention while in motion and while stationary. Aggressive and no obviously questionable design. Everything has a certain flow to it and there is nothing more I could ask for. Maybe a half naked chain case, but I can live with that.

7) Engine: A proven Honda engine still proves it mettle. Ride as if you derriere's on fire or if you have a nice pretty girl behind you. The bike still delivers. Preferred speed would be between 40-50kmph at 5th gear. There are absolutely no vibrations transmitted into the footpegs and the engine barely makes a sound at the preferred speeds. But cross 105kmph and you get a free massage. Massive vibrations run through the bike but settle down a little beyond 105kmph. Acceleration is definitely something that deserves a special mention. The bike pulls ahead like no other, twist the throttle and your pillion will nearly suffer a heart attack!

8) Fuel Efficiency: Aah, the age old, Kitna Deti Hain? Delivers a decent enough 45kmpl when ridden sanely inside city limits with peak hour traffic plaguing my daily 13km journey to college and back. Or a more ridiculous 29kmpl if ridden like a madman. The choice of indulgence is yours to make.

9) Handling: Heavier than every other 150cc bike. But doesn't feel that heavy. Try pushing it against an incline and you'd wish you were born in Krypton. But get on the bike and weave your way around traffic and suddenly the bike feels a lot lot lighter than it looks on paper.

10) Maintenance: This is where these stalwarts stand out. No issues whatsoever. Some tender careful washing every Sunday leaves the bike still looking like new ever after 10,000KM. While fully synthetic Top1 Evolution oil leaves the engine still having me smiling each time I crank it. That equates to barely any expenses on the bikes barring the usual Disk Pads, Brake Fluid and Engine Oil.

Overall: I could not have made a better pick last year when I was asked to choose between the FZ and the Hunk. No regrets at all. In a way life came full circle. The Hunk was the first bike I ever wanted back when I was in Std. IX and eventually swayed to a Pulsar, Gladiator, R15 and eventually landed back to the new refreshed Hunk. Probably the inclusion of the Kick-Start lever wouldn't leave me wondering over what I'd do in case the battery ever runs out, but it's one of those things that don't occupy your thoughts every day.

Dear Triple-H,
Here wishing ourselves many many more 1000s of kilometers ahead of us. Thanks for the countless memories you have been a part of and created for me!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 25th February 2012 at 18:25.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triple-H: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review-10,000KM

That is a very well structured review of your bike.

Thanks a lot.

Please add a couple of pictures.

A little more info "Xenon Bulb" would be very nice.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the achieving the milestone!! Nice write up. A slew of pics to highlight this milestone is sorely missing. Please add the pics as and when possible.

EDIT: What brand is Top1 Evolution from? More details on the oil please.
Old 27th February 2012, 20:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A little more info "Xenon Bulb" would be very nice.
Thanks and it's my pleasure!
But yeah, regarding the Xenon Bulbm it seems like a bulb filled with Xenon instead of the usual halogens. Ends up giving more Lumens per watt. Hence more brightness for the same power output. Well, it may just be me. But it definitely seems much brighter than the stock Halogens the bike came with. I can see pretty clearly even through a smoked visor in a Dirt Track type helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on achieving the milestone!! Nice write up. A slew of pics to highlight this milestone is sorely missing. Please add the pics as and when possible.

EDIT: What brand is Top1 Evolution from? More details on the oil please.
Yeah, the milestone came earlier than I expected. I've been doing more that my fair quota of riding. Back to the oil, Top1 is a US based company which landed in India a few months ago. The Fully Synthetic Oil has the exact same grade as what is recommended by the manufacturer. 10W-30J if I am not mistaken. The bike feels smoother and the gear shifts are more soft. Most importantly, the vibrations have reduced to a certain extent. The USP of the oil is it's relatively low price in comparison to the other Fully Synthetic Oils available at the moment. The oil costs 800(I think, maybe lower). I tried a 3M engine oil additive once, but didn't seem to make a big difference to the bike overall.

The rim tapes were my idea and for once, my idea didn't disappoint.

The All Muscle Hunk:
Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-3-3.jpg

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-4-2.jpg

The Biggest Damage Till Date(And Forever Hopefully):

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-6.jpg

The GRS and Rear Disk Assembly:

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-7.jpg

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-11.jpg

The High Placed Rear Seat:

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-8.jpg

Eye Catching, STILL!

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-9.jpg

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-5.jpg

Everybody Follows The...

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike-10.jpg

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 27th February 2012 at 20:23.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 20:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But yeah, regarding the Xenon Bulb it seems like a bulb filled with Xenon instead of the usual halogens. Ends up giving more Lumens per watt. Hence more brightness for the same power output.
When you say same power output, you mean its the same 35W bulb but with brighter intensity. So i guess you did not have to meddle with a relay, wiring etc. Seems like an interesting proposition.

Nice pics and the rim tapes are looking good too! How did the damage occur?
Old 27th February 2012, 21:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Hunk is my second Favorite HH/H Bike after ZMA.

It looks brilliant, has a proven engine & is now one of the few good bikes which are still on 18 inch wheels.

I always felt that a ZMA engine on a Hunk Body would be a perfect Street bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

1) Headlamp: 35/35W AC stock headlamp looked reasonable enough at first, but a few trips later, found it lacking in throw at corners. Change to a Xenon Bulb of sorts for Rs. 350 and it's a whole new story. Visibility, throw and intensity all increased. The focus from the dome seems to be a let down. The Pulsar series seem to have a better made reflector system.
On my Karizma, I had replaced the stock 35w with a 60w bulb from my Car (Stock spare bulb) & the difference was pretty noticeable & it had no impact on the reflector for the 2 years that I had the bike.

Hunk should behave the same I believe.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 21:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
When you say same power output, you mean its the same 35W bulb but with brighter intensity. So i guess you did not have to meddle with a relay, wiring etc. Seems like an interesting proposition.

Nice pics and the rim tapes are looking good too! How did the damage occur?
Yes, no meddling with the electricals at any stage. I considered HID too, but when I head that the wiring will be altered, I decided against it. Because badly done electricals can lead to reliability issues in the long run IMO.

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Bangalore, in the division of roads at Lalbagh Main Gate where one is Krumbigal Road and the other Lalbagh Fort Road, head onto Lalbagh Fort Road and scour around on the left side for a 2 wheelers accessories shop on an upper level of a building. Run by a reasonably old guy. Most importantly, BARGAIN! That is something I fail at all the time.

The damage well, I was struck by a guy on a CT-100 who tried to overtake a car by swerving to it's right and he eventually jumped his lane and crashed into an unsuspecting me. The impact caused the crash guard to bend quite a bit and the location of the crash guard is a strange one as it struck the part of the exhaust leading out of the cylinder. In most bikes, the exhaust comes before the crash guards when viewed head on. But this one is the exact opposite. I headed to a nearby mechanic after the accident and he straightened out the crash guard but the location of the dent in the exhaust leaves it a lost cause for the moment. I'd love to have it straightened out to any extent possible. Does anyone have any clues?
The impact also cause the rear end of the silencer to come in contact with my swingarm. That was solved by simple brute force. Pains me to see the bike damaged everyday, but in traffic conditions like Bangalore, I was lucky to escape without a single injury!

But the funniest part of that day was how people were against me for communicating in English rather than Kannada. But I'll leave that story for a different day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
It looks brilliant, has a proven engine & is now one of the few good bikes which are still on 18 inch wheels.

I always felt that a ZMA engine on a Hunk Body would be a perfect Street bike

Hunk should behave the same I believe.
Couldn't have put it better myself! The Hunk is definitely a looker and the ZMA's engine in the Hunk's physique would be a combination hard to beat.
About the lighting, well I'm scared to experiment with different wattages fearing a blowout in any of the long rides I generally do. But I have read somewhere that the Hunk and ZMA share different electricals. So I am not too sure if the bike can withstand the 60W bulb. But on the contradictory, I have already read that the Hunk has a 125W alternator and that 35W is used for the Headlamp, 10W for the indicator, 4W for the LED Tail and around 5W for the parking lamp. That still leaves a considerable 50W remaining of which 10W is used to run the engine. I don't know how accurate these figures are. Just recollecting it from memory. If someone could verify these numbers, it'd be very helpful to all of us Unicorn, Dazzler ,CBZ, CBZ Xtreme and Hunk owners I guess.

EDIT: The 18 inch wheels really help the street presence! I feel all tall and mighty astride the bike.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 27th February 2012 at 22:12.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 19:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

This fell out of the bike a while ago. No real problems noticed since its departure. But am curious to know. It fell from somewhere below the Fuel Tank(Near the engine, carb etc.). What is it and what is its purpose?

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-img_0372.jpg
Old 25th June 2012, 20:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

My Mileage report after 13k Kilometers on Odo:

Fuel For: Rs.200
Petrol Price: Rs.79.61 (Yes, Bangalore is VERY expensive!)
Kilometers Run: 118.1
Method Used: Reserve to Reserve

Mileage = (118.1*79.61)/200 = 47.009km/l

Old 26th June 2012, 10:41   #29
BHPian

So sane riding has helped pick up the mileage. Ride sanely in the city, save some money, and use that money to tour around on the weekends.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 13:45   #30
BHPian

It is nice that you are updating your thread continuously.
Have you ever cleaned the oil filter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks