Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 19:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review

For last two days I have driven Aria 4X 2 for 340+ Kms in city and highway. I completely disagree with following point of Stratos

Quote:
Unsettled ride quality at highway speeds, just like the AWD variant
I felt during my whole highway drive it is very much planted on highway and I can easily switch lanes with 100+ Km/h speed. Much better than Tata Safari. I own Tata Safari, so I can compare it to it.

Excellent ride quality and sometime I felt better than Safari on some patched roads.

In a nutshell I can say it is "Excellent Highway Car".
anujmishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 21:12   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I completely disagree with following point of Stratos : Highway ride is unsettled.
Me too. Did a 1700+ km trip from Delhi-Udaipur-Kumbalgarh-Nathdwara-Jaipur-Delhi from 02 Oct to 06 Oct 12.

Highway manners are simply superb. The car is stable, planted on the road and switching lanes between slow moving trucks at 100+ speeds was a breeze. Had an heart-in-the-mouth situation when i had to step on the brakes to avoid a truck turning into my lane (right most) with the centre barrier on the right. No skid, no shudder, no swerve, no squealing, nothing but a straight line decelaration.

The single lane road from Udaipur to Kumbalgarh was not without pot holes and ruts, with me having to go off the road for the occasional truck / bus coming the other way - the suspension handles it fine, no jolts whatsoever.

Overall 13 kpl for the trip, full tank to full tank method, filled to the brim. That's credible, I was keeping a 110-120 on the highways most of the time with single A/C on ALL the time, dual A/C intermittently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetghai1978 View Post
I just fail to understand why Tata Motors doesn't give those Alloy wheels in every varient. Isn't it suppose to be a lifestyle crossover??? the person who is paying 10 Lakhs minimum would defenately like to have it on his vehicle. whoever is making that decision is totally wrong IMHO.
For the same reason that the Innova, the Scorpio, Xylo, Safari do not come with alloys in the base variants !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I dont agree with you mate. Innova is typical taxi type MUV car and Aria is different.
I dont want people to show hand for lift on highways while going in Innova
You said it Anketi ! I have seen numerous Innovas being flagged at the Delhi- Gurgaon and Noida expressways - G or V or whatever !

Fact is, you see more Innovas than ARIA's, I'm still the only ARIA owner in my parking lot ! The Innova is made as a people mover, the ARIA is a lifestyle vehicle / family car, albeit a big one.

Road presence, it has lots of, my recent Udaipur trip has established that ! I even get more respect from the guards at the Udaipur city palace entrance - unlike the Innovas - wherein all are treated as drivers !

I have completed 6300 kms on the ARIA, no rattles, no squeaks, no loose components falling out whatsoever. The only problem I had - the press shut, press open cup holder lock above the rear central A/C vent refused to lock - got it rectified in the 2nd service.

The music system is great - for an OEM one, believe me. In my opinion, the extra electricals bells and jingles are good till they work, replacement dosen't seem a good option. The Pure is a great car, get a reverse sensor (RD) for Rs 3200/- and that's it ! It has 4 discs, ABS + EBD, central locking with immobolizer. Fit and finish are way better than the Scorpio / Xylo / safari.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th October 2012 at 02:19.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 13:35   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
You said it Anketi ! I have seen numerous Innovas being flagged at the Delhi- Gurgaon and Noida expressways - G or V or whatever !
I own an Innova VX for the past three years. For 50k Kms and long distance driving across five states, I have never once been flagged or asked to pull over..period.

Quote:
Fact is, you see more Innovas than ARIA's, I'm still the only ARIA owner in my parking lot ! The Innova is made as a people mover, the ARIA is a lifestyle vehicle / family car, albeit a big one.
I disagree with the understanding you have of the car positioning. Anyway, even if we were to take this statement for a minute, given that people mover's sell much less than family cars, I wonder why the equation is reversed in case of Aria, that too 20 times over?

Quote:
Road presence, it has lots of, my recent Udaipur trip has established that ! I even get more respect from the guards at the Udaipur city palace entrance - unlike the Innovas - wherein all are treated as drivers !
Again - I havent found respect to be lacking at 5 stars when I pull over in my Innova. To add - not a criteria for buying a car as far as I am concerned.
Old 20th April 2013, 15:13   #154
rkg
Senior - BHPian

TATA seems to have some silent modifications to ARIA as per the features list in their website.

Top end features Harmon ICE

DMF is replaced with SMF in all models ( The price should have been less, instead TATA increased the prices)

Gear ratios have been changed as per sales person

All models get heated ORVMs

The feature list contains many things which are not present even in the top end version. why TATA listed them at all is a puzzle

http://www.tataaria.com/main/specs-variants#Variants
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review-aria-ice.jpg  

Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review-aria-ice2.jpg  

Last edited by rkg : 20th April 2013 at 15:19.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:54   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ looks like

1) They are getting ready to launch a model higher than the Pride with Headrest mounted screen?
2) Harman Audio system (with HU) being introduced in the Prestige model but not in Pride since maybe it does not come with SatNav and Integrated Reverse Camera on TFT Screen. Pride had a Delphi HU.
3) So Prestige may offer better sound, it also seems to have more speakers and a woofer in Tailgate.
4) Black and Plum Interiors seems to have been replaced with Black and Black or Biege & Biege interiors in Pride.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:54   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Pure variant is pure nonsense. No airbags. How can you miss that out in today's day and age.

God save Tata Motors from the people making such stupid decisions.

Cheers
The same logic and decisive ability of Toyota to clip off the airbags, ICE and even the power steering and windows in the base variants (E) earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetghai1978 View Post
Tata should have given those lovely 17 inch alloys & fog lamps in every model. Aria Looks much better with these and It should have grey interiors only. This is just a personal opinion
Agree to that 100%. However, in the Indian market, alloys and fogs are a distinct feature difference between the low and high / top variants. Holds good for all manufacturers like TATA, Toyota, Maruti, Ford, Hyundai, Honda, Mahindra, Skoda, VW, Chevrolet, Renault, Nissan, etc.

The 16" steel wheels in the Pure look good, have a butter smooth (as good as the painted surfaces) finish, that makes them easy to clean and maintain. In contrast, compare them with the horrible looking steels on the Duster or the Xylo / Scorpio and you will know what I mean.

Check the costs of 16" tyres and 17" tyres of same brand and model, you will be happy with the 16" steels ! They should have the Storme / Safari's 16 " alloys on the Pure / Pleasure instead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
What you said about the Pure variant I think is absolutely 100% correct. No way does a person go into the showroom and looks at a Aria Pride and then want to buy the Aria Pure.
Well, in terms of looks, the Pure and the Pride don't vary much, except the alloys, leather seats, front fogs and the 4x4 badging. Very sharp eyes will notice the lack of rain sensors on the windscreen. The front hand rests also are not easy to spot in differences.

IMO, gizmos are not required most of the time, the cheaper variants do make a lot of sense in term of value. I own a Pure myself and can vouch for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not Stratos , but will still throw in my 2 cents : I still think the Innova is a better buy.

Not really. What the Aria is missing, and what it'll hopefully get eventually, is the certification from owners who have completed 200,000 kms without a problem. If the Aria can manage that, it's going to pave the way to greater things for Tata Motors.

The Innova (and Qualis) have an unbelievable reputation on the street. Well deserved, I'd say.
If value is not a consideration, Yes, the Innova is a better buy. Reputation and A$$, TATA needs to definitely improve. My Pure with 22 K in 18 months is a beauty, with a consistent 13 Kpl in Delhi (winter) now.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 15:33   #157
BHPian

Quote:
The same logic and decisive ability of Toyota to clip off the airbags, ICE and even the power steering and windows in the base variants (E) earlier.
LOL you recycled a real old post of mine.

I too happily own a Pure. However would have felt more secure with Air bags.

Nevertheless, less technology means less hassle is what I have definitely experienced.

Cheers
Old 26th May 2015, 14:08   #158
BANNED

An update.. My ARIA Pure has done 33K kms and the all 3s figure came up in a drive from Allahabad to Varanasi. A picture is added just for visual appeal. BTW, one can guess the fuel average from the picture, I topped up before start and set tripmeter A to 0.0 (usual practice that i do for each and every refill).

Was going through the thread and still do not agree with the unsettled remark made earlier. Having driven from Delhi to Allahabad and then on to Varanasi (in the thick of Eastern UP), I must commend the car for its road manners and capable suspension. Not to mention the powerful AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review-img_3351_small.jpg  

Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review-img_3284small.jpg  

lifebuoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:23   #159
BHPian

Got a call on Saturday from Fortune Cars ( Tata ) Nerul for a software update for my FEB 2015 Aria Pleasure 4×2. Since was a bit free today, went ahead & got it done.

The short story of it is the ECU Version has been upgraded from 2014 to 2015. The SA who did the actual update could not throw much light as to the actual parameters that have been changed.

Touchwood my LIONESS has been ABSOLUTELY trouble free, a byfar massive leap in terms of relaibility over my previous 3 Safaris. Not that they ever left me stranded anywhere but the M-I-L was a constant companion in the Safari.

& NO I DO NOT MEAN MY MOTHER IN LAW but the Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Last edited by bblost : 19th October 2015 at 22:29. Reason: extra smiley deleted.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:32   #160
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya Janvekar View Post
Got a call on Saturday from Fortune Cars ( Tata ) Nerul for a software update for my FEB 2015 Aria Pleasure 4×2. Since was a bit free today, went ahead & got it done.

The short story of it is the ECU Version has been upgraded from 2014 to 2015. The SA who did the actual update could not throw much light as to the actual parameters that have been changed.
Can you please share more information about the SW update, because my ARIA was March 2014 batch one.

Last edited by rkg : 31st December 2015 at 10:34.
Old 1st January 2016, 16:54   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Can you please share more information about the SW update, because my ARIA was March 2014 batch one.
Hi

Sorry dont know the exact details off hand. Was told that its an ECU Software Update. Even though being an engineer who does this regularly to my client's equipment, on the particular day was very tied up on a important office project & was constantly on the phone with emailing & calling, while waiting in the Tata ASC.

Give a couple of days. Scheduled to go there for my Indica servicing & possibly swap it for a Nano AMT for wifey. Will catch up with the SM & get the details.

Will also ask if it is applicable for a March 2014 vehicle.

Wish you & all TBhp friends a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Rgds

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st January 2016 at 19:16. Reason: Please do not type like.... this......
Old 1st January 2016, 20:27   #162
BHPian

Hi, heard that the software update is to fix issue with check engine lamp glowing, with the error pointing to the EGR valve. Please check your Aria chassis number with the dealer. Its for a certain batch of Arias only.
Old 2nd January 2016, 15:25   #163
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi, heard that the software update is to fix issue with check engine lamp glowing, with the error pointing to the EGR valve. Please check your Aria chassis number with the dealer. Its for a certain batch of Arias only.
Never had any issue with check engine light glowing. Anyway will check with concorde motors
Old 8th March 2017, 12:25   #164
BHPian

Guys did anyone did clutch overhauling/corrections, the clutch in my Aria feels very heavy. What will be the approximate cost? Its Aria Pure 2011 manuf model
Old 8th March 2017, 12:44   #165
BHPian

One more Query are Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Genuine Parts available over the counter? (like Maruti)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks