Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 13:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Stop cribbing, people. You just want stuff for free. The Aria 4x2 is an innova beater for sure. I knew this kind of criticism was bound to happen. Tata should just withdraw the Aria and close the chapter. Indians don't deserve a well built vehicle at a good price. You just want to act like primary school children and
get all chocolates for free. They've done a good job of reducing the cost without compromising on safety (ABS!). The Aria is built like a tank. Its a shame, I mean a shame to keep listening comments like this. Centre arm-rests are not basic features. Which versions of the Innova come with centre arm-rests, may be V or VX. And there is a difference in cost as well.
First you call a crossover an MUV (GTO, no less) and bring it down, then when the 4x2 comes, you crib about that too.
And what engine specs are you talking ? I mean, do you need mercedes-spec engines? The next remark to come would be about how much fuel it sips because it develops 200 bhp. Half the country moves around at highway speeds in 70 bhp Boleros and don't crib. You got special sensitive skin or something?

Sorry to be so critical, but it's hard to take in negativity about a company that's genuinely trying hard to improve. There are issues, but there are issues with every brand as well. to the lot of you. to Tata for listening to the market and bringing out a required variant. Euro NCAP be damned.
Innova is a good car , no doubt. But what has Aria done wrong to receive such bad comments is beyond me. Pricing? Might be, but that doesn't make the product bad.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
What about the airbags.. If Tata was so concerned about Safety why the heck remove them from Pure...

I am not even comparing with the Innova. For me Innova is a taxi and a good one at that. But if you want families to own the Aria, air bags in the Pure version should have been put in.

Cheers
Frankly, Airbags are more optional than necessary, ABS is a basic requirement with Indian conditions, purely from personal experiences. Ask any person who's saved his skin because of ABS. I have, multiple times. So in my opinion they've done the right thing by taking away Airbags in the base version. You want airbags, go for the Pleasure. You are missing the point. When they introduce something good (like the 4x4 Aria), people go at their throats because they did that and price it at what it should have been. And now, you get cut-price versions, it is their problem that they removed a few features.

Take a case in point. Let's compare an Aria with a Skoda Laura and a BMW - X1. IMO it gives you the positives of both the vehicles (Aria actually has better ground clearance than an X1 so it is more SUV than the BMW). It gives you good performance (highway runs of 150-160 without ruffling any feathers) with a solid build as well. So for me, that is a VFM offering. And if you get it without the 4x4, you should actually jump at it because you get a more premium Innova. And it is not so hard to find aftermarket stuff which you can add(not yet happened, but happening!), Sit in an Aria and you get that premium, well-built feel. The ONLY downside for me is an oh-so- slightly gruff gearbox, but the Innova's not butter either.
rpmx1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 14:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the airbags.. If Tata was so concerned about Safety why the heck remove them from Pure...

I am not even comparing with the Innova. For me Innova is a taxi and a good one at that. But if you want families to own the Aria, air bags in the Pure version should have been put in.

Cheers
Agree with you there. But I have to say, I forgive Tata for it. They have been saddled with the image for the Aria as an over grown over-priced Innova. As a major automobile website of India, T-Bhp has, unfortunately, has contributed to that image.

So, not just the bare bones Pure version, but in my view the whole 4x2 range has been for nothing except to bring prices down, and try and shake off the image of being over-priced and try and get some customer's into the showrooms to check her out.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:20   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Innova is a good car , no doubt. But what has Aria done wrong to receive such bad comments is beyond me. Pricing? Might be, but that doesn't make the product bad.
Just bias , in full measure. Give me the money, and I'd buy an Aria without thinking twice. Will wait for the day..
Old 11th August 2011, 16:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Just bias , in full measure. Give me the money, and I'd buy an Aria without thinking twice. Will wait for the day..

Agree with you completely. In the next 4-5 yrs when i will be thinking for an upgrade, Aria will definetly will be on top of my list. It is one of best products to be coming out from an Indian maufacturer. High on quality and features.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:25   #81
BHPian

The New ARIA TVC.

Edit: Mods I have posted this on the 4X4 Aria review as well.
Furebo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

The ad clearly shows Tata's strategy. There is no mention of 4x2 anywhere. All the features of top Pride variant are shown, but the whole point of the ad is actually just the last few secs. That which shows that prices start at 11.61lacs exshowroom New Delhi.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The ad clearly shows Tata's strategy the whole point of the ad is actually just the last few secs. That which shows that prices start at 11.61lacs exshowroom New Delhi.
You got the whole idea spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
There is no mention of 4x2 anywhere. All the features of top Pride variant are shown
That is because the model featured in the Ad is the Top variant.

PS: Did you like the Ad?
Old 11th August 2011, 20:12   #84

How would 4*2 Prestige compare with Crysta? It is about a lac more in price (14.47 vs. 13.32 for Cysta in Chennai). Yes, Aria has a more powerful engine, but a higher weight as well. Innova has greater reliability, presumably better resale value. My xls comparison of other features has put me in doubt :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review-aria-vs-innova-crysta.jpg  

siddhu_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 21:17   #85

Hi people
Well in my opinion the Aria is a right step forward by TATA in terms of producing quality cars. However there is a long way to go as car making is a craft that takes a lot of experience and passion. TATA when compared to say VW or Toyota (read as quality) is relatively new.

My personal opinion: Well even if I by a full blown SUV eg. Endevour it would be a 2X4 because I wont need the 4X4 ever considering my life style. Therefore my obvious alternative for the Aria would be the Innova(Crossover gimmick does not work for me).

On paper the engine of the Aria looks brute when compared to the Innova's mill, but in reality the Innova does everything that its meant for and if you take a certain pain to get it serviced regulary it will serve you well till "dooms day". Also when you buy an Innova you buy Toyota's truly world class quality, a great aftersales service and unmatched warrenty to name a few. While TATA has to seriously introspect on each of these aspects.

All said and done if some one asks me when will I buy a TATA car?
My answer would be: The day TATA launches the Land Rover Evoque in India with the Safari 2.2 DICOR engine at Rs. 20 to 22 lakh. Hell Yea!!
Any Takers?
Cheers
Old 11th August 2011, 23:18   #86
BHPian

Loved the Secret Agent AD
Old 12th August 2011, 13:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, Airbags are more optional than necessary, ABS is a basic requirement with Indian conditions, purely from personal experiences. Ask any person who's saved his skin because of ABS. I have, multiple times. So in my opinion they've done the right thing by taking away Airbags in the base version. You want airbags, go for the Pleasure. You are missing the point. When they introduce something good (like the 4x4 Aria), people go at their throats because they did that and price it at what it should have been. And now, you get cut-price versions, it is their problem that they removed a few features.

Take a case in point. Let's compare an Aria with a Skoda Laura and a BMW - X1. IMO it gives you the positives of both the vehicles (Aria actually has better ground clearance than an X1 so it is more SUV than the BMW). It gives you good performance (highway runs of 150-160 without ruffling any feathers) with a solid build as well. So for me, that is a VFM offering. And if you get it without the 4x4, you should actually jump at it because you get a more premium Innova. And it is not so hard to find aftermarket stuff which you can add(not yet happened, but happening!), Sit in an Aria and you get that premium, well-built feel. The ONLY downside for me is an oh-so- slightly gruff gearbox, but the Innova's not butter either.

I frankly don't think a Tata can be compared with a BMW. Even though Skoda is another Tata in its home country (I still do not understand how has it got such an exalted status in ours), its till difficult to compare Tata with Skoda.

There maybe more value in a Tata but the whole ownership issue is heavily loaded against it.

I personally really cannot trust TATA to give me a niggle free experience. I am ok with that if I am paying sub 5 lakhs. When I am paying 15 lakhs whatever I buy it has to be bulletproof. I don't see that with a TATA Aria right now. For crying out loud, for the same amount (35 to 40K) I get a BMW or Merc in the US.

Cheers
Old 12th August 2011, 15:46   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, Airbags are more optional than necessary, ABS is a basic requirement with Indian conditions, purely from personal experiences.
While i liked the 4x2 Aria and it felt much much peppier than the 4x4 version i also agree that Tata's had to remove something to get the cost down and removing Airbags, is alright.

But i disagree with the statement above. Airbags are more critical than ABS (or maybe they are both equal). Also if someone is so inclined to get extra safety please buy the Aria with Airbags and ABS.

In my opinion ABS only kicks in when you apply hard brakes on a slippery road (Like snow) and wheels struggling for traction. Hence they dont jam, but rotate a little to find some traction.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:59   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

While i liked the 4x2 Aria and it felt much much peppier than the 4x4 version i also agree that Tata's had to remove something to get the cost down and removing Airbags, is alright.

But i disagree with the statement above. Airbags are more critical than ABS (or maybe they are both equal). Also if someone is so inclined to get extra safety please buy the Aria with Airbags and ABS.

In my opinion ABS only kicks in when you apply hard brakes on a slippery road (Like snow) and wheels struggling for traction. Hence they dont jam, but rotate a little to find some traction.
Yup, they had to remove something, and IMHO the base model Aria is neither a slouch, nor ill-equipped. I don't think there is a significant USP any longer, but that's a personal opinion.

Don't agree about the airbags bit. Airbags are passive safety features - helpful in the event of an accident. ABS on the other hand is active, and therefore helps prevent accidents. Ask yourself how many times you have stomped on the brakes when someone jumped/rode/drove onto the road or across your lane, and compare it with the number of times you have actually been in an accident severe enough that airbags would have actually saved your life (sounds strange, but I think you understand). This is again my personal opinion, and I don't have a problem with your priority - but don't agree.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I frankly don't think a Tata can be compared with a BMW. Even though Skoda is another Tata in its home country (I still do not understand how has it got such an exalted status in ours), its till difficult to compare Tata with Skoda.

There maybe more value in a Tata but the whole ownership issue is heavily loaded against it.

I personally really cannot trust TATA to give me a niggle free experience. I am ok with that if I am paying sub 5 lakhs. When I am paying 15 lakhs whatever I buy it has to be bulletproof. I don't see that with a TATA Aria right now. For crying out loud, for the same amount (35 to 40K) I get a BMW or Merc in the US.

Cheers
Going OT a bit!

Merc/BMW is what? Browse around and see. There are posts about they failing on day one!

I especially love the Merc VS Nano stuff ( AC isnt working on Merc VS people in Nano has AC ).

Last edited by jkdas : 12th August 2011 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks